or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Android stalls, remains tied with Apple's iOS in ad impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Android stalls, remains tied with Apple's iOS in ad impressions

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
After seeing months of growth at a blistering pace, Google Android remained tied with Apple's iOS in November smartphone ad impressions.

Millennial Media on Tuesday released its MobileMix report detailing statistics from November 2010. Both Apple and Google remain tied in terms of operating system mobile ad impressions seen by the advertiser's network, with each platform taking 38 percent of the market.

It's the same situation as in October, when both Android and iOS commanded 37 percent of the smartphones seen by Millennial's mobile ad network. Apple and Google have been crowding out competitors as they take up larger shares of the market.

In November, both iOS and Android ticked up a notch, at the expense of its competitors. Research in Motion's BlackBerry line took 19 percent of the share seen by Millennial, while Microsoft and Nokia each represented just 2 percent.

That Apple and Google remain tied in November is noteworthy, because previous reports showed Android experiencing tremendous growth, suggesting it might far eclipse Apple's iOS. For example, in September Google represented just 29 percent of Millennial's mobile advertising impressions, well behind Apple's 46 percent. And in August, Android was at only 26 percent.



In April, the iPhone represented a commanding 70 percent of Millennial's smartphone traffic. The company became the largest independent mobile advertising network after Google acquired AdMob.

The November report also found that Apple remains the top device manufacturer, representing 25 percent of all the mobile devices tracked by Millennial. The iPhone was the most-used hardware, with 14.28 percent in November, followed in second place by the iPod touch at 8.96 percent. The iPad came in seventh, representing 1.76 percent of devices seen.
post #2 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both Apple and Google remain tied in terms of operating system mobile ad impressions seen by the advertiser's network, with each platform taking 38 percent of the market.

This part makes the survey useless.

No one knows what percentage of iOS and Android users hit this advertiser's network. If the percentages are significantly different for the two platforms, the data provided has no value to anyone outside of the advertiser.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #3 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After seeing months of growth at a blistering pace, Google Android remained tied with Apple's iOS in November smartphone ad impressions.

I was under the impression that people used apps on the iPhone to avoid having to use Apple's web browser. Are they now going back to the web using their iPhones?

And what ab out iAds?
post #4 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This part makes the survey useless.

No one knows what percentage of iOS and Android users hit this advertiser's network. If the percentages are significantly different for the two platforms, the data provided has no value to anyone outside of the advertiser.

That vantage does have some value, it just doesn't tell anything about growth patterns for either device... or international adoption in many cases.

What continues to blow my mind is the number of "feature phones" (still) out there. Even more, how much advertising those chumps are exposed to for what they are getting.

Could Apple do a cool, transformative feature phone?
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Could Apple do a cool, transformative feature phone?



They could, but they won't. It would be too confusing.
post #6 of 67
The slowdown for Android could be temporary as more sales, particularly new Android tablets and increasing developer support push Android forward in coming months, much of Apple’s strength lies in its family of devices that share an operating system. That’s clearly an advantage until Android tablets ramp up and it also makes us wonder why we don’t have a very good Android competitor to the iPod touch. Google hasn’t optimized Android yet for tablets either, which won’t happen until the release of Android, another factor holding back the Android platform.
post #7 of 67
Why the new strategy of Android-bashing? This is the fourth piece of hack journalism we've seen from this site. Who's running this thing, Rupert Murdoch?

Stop comparing Apple to Android. You're comparing a phone to an operating system. It makes no sense; it's like comparing sales of the PS3 to Grand Theft Auto. One is a great phone, the other is a great operating system. So can we please stop buying into this fictional, media-hyped, Apple-Google war? It's just an excuse to print crud posts like this.

iPhone + Android OS = Match made in heaven!
post #8 of 67
yes you are right dude.
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post

Why the new strategy of Android-bashing? This is the fourth piece of hack journalism we've seen from this site. Who's running this thing, Rupert Murdoch?

Stop comparing Apple to Android. You're comparing a phone to an operating system. It makes no sense; it's like comparing sales of the PS3 to Grand Theft Auto. One is a great phone, the other is a great operating system. So can we please stop buying into this fictional, media-hyped, Apple-Google war? It's just an excuse to print crud posts like this.

iPhone + Android OS = Match made in heaven!

You're kidding, right??!!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post

iPhone + Android OS = Match made in heaven!

I'm not sure about that. While the iP4 has great hardware, lots of the Andoid phones do too. In fact, some of them exceed the iP4 hardware in important respects. The real advantage of the iP4 is the beautiful screen, but some people want a bigger screen. There are other aspects of certain Android phones that blow away the iPhone.

But the iPhone is easiest for average people to use, and is usable for even the well below-average user. No Google phone can top that.
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post

Why the new strategy of Android-bashing? ...

It's fun, sort of like bashing the Yugo used to be.
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

...

I wonder how long he'll last this time? Impressive that he's made it to 100 posts.
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

... The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating systems...

Now, that's what I call damning it with faint praise.
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

Fool us once, we are the fools, fool us twice your the fool.


Note: written from my triple booting MacBook Pro (Linux, OS X, Windows)



We won't get fooled again!
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post


I'm no fandroid, but I do recognize yellow journalism and FUD when I see it.

The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating,,, etc.

Supposedly that's got some people scared, or trying to run to Apple's aid or getting paid to write slant material.

Pretty ironic then, that you posted all of that... after registering within the last week.
Who is running to the aid of whom? Are you getting paid to write slant material?
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

It seems over the last few days a rush of slanted anti-Android article headlines has besieged AppleInsider.

"Google's Android stalled..."

"Android's weak sales.."

"Android Market, still half-baked..."

"Android Galaxy Tab, "disappointing..."


I'm no fandroid, but I do recognize yellow journalism and FUD when I see it.

The fact is Google's Android is rapidly becoming the "Windows" of mobile operating systems going to outstrip iOS in short order. It's been factually shown that men (who are more mechanically and technically minded) prefer Android and women prefer the iPhone. Supposedly that's got some people scared, or trying to run to Apple's aid or getting paid to write slant material.

(Especially that the Nexus S with Android "Gingerbread" just started selling...hmm)

Apple's one trick hardware pony doesn't meet the many hardware needs of 90% of the market. Because Apple chooses not to release their OS separate from hardware for a better user experience, for more money and a limited product line, just like Apple likes it. So what?

Really there is nothing to worry about, this has been all planned in advance with Eric and Steve. Apple gets the 10% luxury market and Google gets everyone else. In fact I propose that Android is purposely allowed to be a little less glamorous than iOS to maintain the distinction between the two mobile operating systems.

What the difference between one app store that has over 200,000 apps and the other one that has over 100,000 apps when both have the mere ten or twenty apps your ever going to use?

It's the whole Mac vs Windows scenario all over again, except Google is Microsoft. Jobs doesn't like Ballmer, Gates retired and someone had to take the "one OS, all hardware" mobile platform and that's that.

Fool us once, we are the fools, fool us twice your the fool.


Note: written from my triple booting MacBook Pro (Linux, OS X, Windows)

It sounds like your problem is that you just believe everything you read and reading negative Android articles puts a strain on that cause you *want* to believe it (because you read it), but it bothers you that it doesn't conform to what you already believe. Most everything you say here is just inaccurate regurgitation of recent Apple Insider articles.

Just a few inaccurate points:

- Android is not and will never be "the Windows of mobile" the reasons are many and written about in great detail at least once a week on some tech blog somewhere.

- Women *don't* prefer iPhone over Android (it's equal or within the margin of error) but men do prefer Android by a large margin. Since Android has been almost exclusively marketed to males though, this kind of makes sense.

- An article that's negative (about Android or anything), is not "slanted" necessarily. it could be simply true. "Slanted" means biased, not merely negative.

Please also take an English comprehension course, a writing course, and a minor in proverbs. None of which you seem to be very knowledgeable about or talented with.
post #17 of 67
can anyone explain how the distribution of phone types is vastly different from what nielsen here reported in Oct?

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ttle-heats-up/
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

... Fool us once, we are the fools, fool us twice your the fool. ...

This is right up there with some of the best George Bush's quotes.
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

And there always be a small percentage of people who think they are more superior than others just because they can shell out a bit more coin for a Apple toy. They are always looking for reasons to distinct their "superior" choice from "everyone else", the writers cater as that's what they get paid for and make a living for.

I like to think myself as being fortunate to be able to afford Apple's products, but I don't act superior, I've have had my hat handed to me by too many billionaires who snub you if you cant' afford to spend a million dollars for your daughters wedding, or another trip around the world with them.

Steve Jobs is perhaps the only billionaire I know who comes home from work to sit in front of his computer.

Sounds like you have some issues.
post #20 of 67
Android is stalling because theyre all out of nerds to sell phones to.
post #21 of 67
You probably should review your post again. A good example of the pot calling the kettle black.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Please also take an English comprehension course, a writing course, and a minor in proverbs. None of which you seem to be very knowledgeable about or talented with.
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Android is stalling because theyre all out of nerds to sell phones to.

I was thinking that also.
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

Steve Jobs is perhaps the only billionaire I know who comes home from work to sit in front of his computer.

You know him?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

I'm not sure about that. While the iP4 has great hardware, lots of the Andoid phones do too. In fact, some of them exceed the iP4 hardware in important respects. The real advantage of the iP4 is the beautiful screen, but some people want a bigger screen. There are other aspects of certain Android phones that blow away the iPhone.

But the iPhone is easiest for average people to use, and is usable for even the well below-average user. No Google phone can top that.

The problem with you is that when you say average people you really mean nerds who define their life in terms of their telephone, and buys the latest and greatest 4 times a year. Mos people needs a reliable system that works and provides the services needed. Based on my own experience that is what you get from the iPhone and not from most of the others.

Get a life!
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's fun, sort of like bashing the Yugo used to be.

LOL

Nice!
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're kidding, right??!!

Nope.
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

And there always be a small percentage of people who think they are more superior than others just because they can shell out a bit more coin for a Apple toy. They are always looking for reasons to distinct their "superior" choice from "everyone else", the writers cater as that's what they get paid for and make a living for.

Yup, everyone are just stupid sheep buying the latest Apple toy simply because it's cool.



I'm always astonished at just how self-delusional people can be. I mean, I really do expect some trolling in these forums, but I think you actually believe the tripe you are posting. Simply amazing...
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's fun, sort of like bashing the Yugo used to be.

Oh I remember the jokes so well and Lada ones too.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

I'm not sure about that. While the iP4 has great hardware, lots of the Andoid phones do too. In fact, some of them exceed the iP4 hardware in important respects. The real advantage of the iP4 is the beautiful screen, but some people want a bigger screen. There are other aspects of certain Android phones that blow away the iPhone.

Apologies, I didn't mean to take a dig at Android hardware by complimenting Apple's. I greatly prefer the flexibility of the Droid OS, but you have to give Apple their due - they constantly lead the field in terms of hardware innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

But the iPhone is easiest for average people to use, and is usable for even the well below-average user. No Google phone can top that.

And the award for backhanded compliment goes to...

"average people"? "the below average user?" Seriously?
post #30 of 67
[QUOTE]=Android is stalling because they’re all out of nerds to sell phones to./QUOTE]

I think that's a great way to put it. It's marketed to nerds, and if you follow any of their message boards it's all about nerding the phones up. Avg. Joe in the street isn't he least bit interested in "modding" his phone to get the most use out of it.
post #31 of 67
Setting aside comments about nerds, grammar, and whether women prefer iPhone or Android, it does seem to me that AI is running an awful lot of negative posts about Android.

Note: This is my first post. I have been reading AI for about 18 months (since I got my first Mac) but I haven't felt the urge to comment strongly enough to register for the forum.

I read this site for news about Apple, patent filings, Mac features and tips. I don't read it for weekly (and lately, nearly daily) rants about why Android isn't as good as the iPhone. I've skipped over it for months, but it bothers me. Why the constant negativity?

I've looked at some Android blogs and they all write like they're kids on Christmas morning. They're so excited about Gingerbread (hehe, good timing) and getting games that have been on the iPhone for months or years. AI lately feels bitter, angry and (most of all) defensive. It's like you can't stand seeing people excited about tech. And it's rubbing off on the tone of almost every article.

There is no joy here except in reconfirming that Apple is still on top. But where does that get any of us? I don't work for Apple, most of you don't either. Why should an iPhone owner be so obsessed with attacking some other person's phone choice?

Someone is going to reply to this and say: "Android users always talk about what their phone can do that the iPhone can't". But that's to be expected. The iPhone is the stick against which all other smartphones are measured and probably will continue to be for quite a while. It's no reason to be so negative.

[Edit] Island Hermit made a good point: the current article is not a great example of negative attitude. This comment is in reply to the previous comments and not so much in reply to the article.
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yup, everyone are just stupid sheep buying the latest Apple toy simply because it's cool.



I'm always astonished at just how self-delusional people can be. I mean, I really do expect some trolling in these forums, but I think you actually believe the tripe you are posting. Simply amazing...

That seems to be the only troll defense left to the overwhelming success of Apple products. 'People only buy Apple because <insert for any reason except they actually want one!>' Mind you just to extend their own weird logic, I suppose the reverse should be true for them. Do they only buy other maker's products to be uncool?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by webarnes View Post

Setting aside comments about nerds, grammar, and whether women prefer iPhone or Android, it does seem to me that AI is running an awful lot of negative posts about Android.

Why the constant negativity?

There is no joy here except in reconfirming that Apple is still on top. But where does that get any of us? I don't work for Apple, most of you don't either. Why should an iPhone owner be so obsessed with attacking some other person's phone choice?

Someone is going to reply to this and say: "Android users always talk about what their phone can do that the iPhone can't". But that's to be expected. The iPhone is the stick against which all other smartphones are measured and probably will continue to be for quite a while. It's no reason to be so negative.

Amen. My wife is a HUGE Apple fan, and I can honestly say you don't have to denigrate one to love the other.

Now Windows on the other hand...

JK
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

And there always be a small percentage of people who think they are more superior than others just because they can shell out a bit more coin for a Apple toy. They are always looking for reasons to distinct their "superior" choice from "everyone else", the writers cater as that's what they get paid for and make a living for.

I like to think myself as being fortunate to be able to afford Apple's products, but I don't act superior.

I'm amazed at how many people can't do simple math, my calculation is that if your time is worth more than 50¢ per hour Apple kit is cheaper. My Macs aren't toys, they've earned my living for a decade, mostly ecommerce. Your comment says that you feel superior to Apple users so your last phrase quoted above is disingenuous.



Sometimes I buy second hand Macs, the worst IT buys I have made have always been non-Apple. I made a mistake last year, needed another screen to go with a G4 as the CRT died (19" Formac, bi lump but great screen). Used 22" Cinema Displays 3 - 4 years old cost about the same as new from the PC world. It was difficult to get to grips with the difference, surely in four years the competition should have caught up and I'll get a full warranty. I found a lot of good reviews for a Dell, bought it, it is crap, the seven year old ADC display in the storeroom is better. 22" Dell sits alongside a 21.5" iMac, screens are chalk and cheese.

.
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by webarnes View Post

Setting aside comments about nerds, grammar, and whether women prefer iPhone or Android, it does seem to me that AI is running an awful lot of negative posts about Android. ...

If there are a lot of negative articles about Android recently, it may just be that there's a lot of negative news to report about Android recently. You weren't complaining when they posted articles about Android market share going up. I don't see why you are now blaming the messenger for reporting on Android's woes.
post #36 of 67
Can't complain about trolls, with stories like this. They seem to get the most comments though!
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If there are a lot of negative articles about Android recently, it may just be that there's a lot of negative news to report about Android recently. You weren't complaining when they posted articles about Android market share going up. I don't see why you are now blaming the messenger for reporting on Android's woes.

Read my entire post before replying.
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If there are a lot of negative articles about Android recently, it may just be that there's a lot of negative news to report about Android recently. You weren't complaining when they posted articles about Android market share going up. I don't see why you are now blaming the messenger for reporting on Android's woes.

For instance... this story about ad impressions can be found on almost every tech blog on the net (contrary to a comment made by another poster).

If AI didn't report this story then I'm sure an Android supporter would find some angle to denigrate AI (and Apple) for not reporting this news.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

I said some think they are superior, not that they are actually intelligent. Your the one calling all us Mac users (including me) stupid. I never said such a thing.

I consider myself intelligent for choosing a good quality and reliable MacBook Pro that saves me time, money and headaches, but I don't, like other Apple product users, consider myself "superior" because of that choice.

Can you perhaps detect the irony in imagining that your fellow Apple users consider themselves superior, then congratulating yourself for being better than that?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

For instance... this story about ad impressions can be found on almost every tech blog on the net (contrary to a comment made by another poster).

If AI didn't report this story then I'm sure an Android supporter would find some angle to denigrate AI (and Apple) for not reporting this news.

I'm not suggesting that the report is not a valid topic for AI. Nor am I suggesting it's the worst offender (the Android Market post probably wins that one). It was brought up by the earlier comment by MarkJones.

But you're ignoring the point of my comment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Android stalls, remains tied with Apple's iOS in ad impressions