or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Canadian iBookstore approved, Rogers to unlock iPhones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canadian iBookstore approved, Rogers to unlock iPhones - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Sorry, those are the same arguments used to defend Quebec's draconian language laws. France has similar insecurities about their culture.

Hmmm. It's not Quebec's language laws that are applicable here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Canada has always been unable to really define their culture anyway. CanCon laws never were really protecting Canadian culture. They were about protecting Canadian businesses. The identical material is acceptable as Canadian, as long as it is produced in Canada or by Canadians. Culture has nothing to do with this. I thought people woke up to that fact. Guess not.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Personally, I think shows like Kids in the Hall or SCTV or Degrassi would have had far less success if they weren't pushed forward by those CanCon rules. There's no way a US network would pick up stuff like that (think of Degrassi and the issues it dealt with being aired in 1980s America). Or think of the impact of kids shows like Sesame Street pushing the 'wrong' spelling forward? It's not a minor affair. Just talk to any teacher and they'll tell you all about the battle they have teaching kids the Queen's English in a world filled with American TV.

In any event, again, can anybody show how CanCon rules are excluding content? It's just that most ebook stores don't want to even make the token effort to comply with that stuff. Thats' why their offerings are anemic. If they can't apply their global ebookstore template they just skip Canada and move on.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Wow...just wow.. rare to see such BS leak from mind to board..well not really.. but this is still one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen.

The rules are not about preserving free speech in Canada. It's make work, and handicapping Canadian content providers.

Inundated by American content? I wish! Ever browsed through the Canadian itunes for Movies?..how about the Canadian Netflix?.. or Amazon.ca? The content is disgraceful thanks to these "champions of free speech" you so love and respect.

And about your "having our Canadian voice heard over the racket from the south" comment...just baffles me. In a free market the best product, service, content etc will be embraced because it is the best. It goes against the free market to bar someones content, and force someones else's content down our throuts..truly despicable.

To simplify, for your rudimentary knowledge of this issue I will explain this in basic terms!

Most Canadian content sucks, a lot of American content is great. I don't want our government dictating the content available to me.

Thats the issue

If that is your attitude, then move.

Virtually every country in the world has laws that govern communication of foreign content, be it literature, music, art, etc., etc. Even the U.S.A.

The iBook Store because it is digital follows basically the governances allotted to radio, television, music materials/production, and even the commercials that sponsor such.

Every other country has different forms of digital copyright and management. Every country in the world requires that a foreign owned company comply with their standards. Not the standards as set by the U.S.A. per se.

Take note. We in Canada do not have Freedom of Speech. We don't have a Bill of Rights per se.

For Apple to institute the iBook Store in Canada, Canadian content had to be satisfied. To do so, it had to get the publishers and their clients to legally allow it. That takes time. And virtually every country in the world requires it. The government was not part of this process. Its concern is only that the process is complied with the digital laws such as copyright.

As for your remarks that Canadian content sucks, perhaps you have been self fel*******g too often. Because your attitude sucks even more.

The majority of Canadians don't want to be swallowed up by the American. Not even though the United States
Quote:
pre-approved Canada's admission to the U.S. in the Articles of Confederation in 1777[/B]. The defeat of American attempts to achieve this goal, both in the American Revolution and the War of 1812, gradually led to the abandonment in the U.S. of any serious push toward annexation.

Like our hockey team, we may have lost a few battles, but we won the war.
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Complete rubbish, and spoken like a true leftist Canadian. Your essentially saying that we should put up artificial barriers to block external content so that our local content stands a chance...riiiiiight.

Ok, so along those lines, we should probably not allow the U.S to participate in the next Summer Olympics, because they are 10 times bigger, have depth of talent and it won't give our Canadian athletes a chance to shine.

We should also probably physically close our borders to prevent foreign made goods from entering Canada that compete with home made products, or to prevent Canadians from vacationing out of county..because you know, that wouldn't support Canadian vacation destinations.

Also, we should probably turn a blind eye to any medical breakthroughs that occur outside our borders. After all, we want to give OUR doctors a chance to find cures for all the horrible diseases that plague humanity.

This has nothing to do with "cultural identity", it has everything to do with censorship, taking away choice, and artificially promoting local content that's crap.

Let Canadian content, products, or services stand on their own because of their superiority in the global marketplace, not because this/these content, products, or services are the only options for Canadians.

I'm a proud resident of Ontario..a proud resident of Canada, and I value freedom in all ways, shapes and forms. These archaic local content practices are a stark contrast to these freedoms.

Let Canadian companies make the team because they have the skills, not because they were the only ones allowed to tryout!


Sorry. But your teabagger attitude is not going to impress or intimidate me. I vote on both sides of the spectrum (not that it should be any of your business), and I do more each day to defend this country's freedoms than you ever will by merely blabbing about them about the internet.

Can you show where CanCon rules prohibit or restrict foreign content? They merely state that do business in Canada, you have to include Canadian content in your offerings. So this whole censorship argument is FUD plain and simple.

But I guess you're one of those guys who probably complains about cereal boxes having to be in French and English. Please drop your faux pride and move to a country where you'll truly feel at home with all this talk about 'freedom'. As a bonus, you'll even get to enjoy that all freedom, all the time channel: Faux News.
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Take note. We in Canada do not have Freedom of Speech. We don't have a Bill of Rights per se.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms does a very reasonable job. And I am grateful each day that there are common sense limits to those freedoms so that we don't end up with fringe elements like the right-to-bear-assault rifles crowd (for example) that they have in the USA.

Here is the difference between the two countries: Canada was founded on the principle of peace, order and good government. The USA was founded on the principle of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The former is a belief in the precedence of societal cohesion over the individual. The latter is an extremely individualistic take on life. I'd say to each their own. Our principles have served us well for centuries and particularly during our most difficult times. If it doesn't work for some, there's always immigration to the US. Works well for a lot of Canadian comics and athletes.
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I am really skeptical of some of the claims about unlocking here. Wind uses the 1700 MHz band (same as T-Mobile USA). The only way a Wind SIM would work in his iPhone is if he was roaming (Wind AWAY) the entire time. He certainly could not get Wind Home since Wind does not have a 2G network that's compatible with the iPhone like T-Mobile does in the US.

I just realized what you meant here about Wind. He didn't say he used it on Wind Mobile in Canada. He said Wind.it, which is an italian carrier.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Sorry. But your teabagger attitude is not going to impress or intimidate me. I vote on both sides of the spectrum (not that it should be any of your business), and I do more each day to defend this country's freedoms than you ever will by merely blabbing about them about the internet.

Can you show where CanCon rules prohibit or restrict foreign content? They merely state that do business in Canada, you have to include Canadian content in your offerings. So this whole censorship argument is FUD plain and simple.

But I guess you're one of those guys who probably complains about cereal boxes having to be in French and English. Please drop your faux pride and move to a country where you'll truly feel at home with all this talk about 'freedom'. As a bonus, you'll even get to enjoy that all freedom, all the time channel: Faux News.

Despite the lacking quality of your post (that didn't address a single one of my points) I'll once again dispute your ridiculous claims.

I don't need to recite the CanCon fine print to tell you that my Netflix library sucks, my itunes movie selection sucks etc - the proof is all there, go look if you don't believe me.

I guess you like getting shafted by the likes of Rogers, Bell and Telus? Are you satisfied with the crappy selection of media we have?

Do you ACTUALLY defend this countries freedoms by serving?..or do you defend this countries freedoms by resting on your laurels, while consumers get ripped off left right and center? If it is the former, then respect man, next time you ship out let me know your base, i'll mail you a copy of corner gas.
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Despite the lacking quality of your post (that didn't address a single one of my points) I'll once again dispute your ridiculous claims.

I don't need to recite the CanCon fine print to tell you that my Netflix library sucks, my itunes movie selection sucks etc - the proof is all there, go look if you don't believe me.

You can blame Netflix and iTunes for not putting effort into populating their libraries. And that was my point. The CanCon rules certainly add an expense line to a company's Canadian operations. But there is no law specifically excluding non-Canadian content. Find one and I'll change my tune. Till then you are wrong on this one. It's just that because the requirements are a little more onerous in Canada (for a market of only 35 million consumers), companies are less inclined to put more effort into their offerings here.

And again, the rules on books are vastly more liberal than the rules on music, TV shows and movies. Heck, even Chapters (of "The world needs more Canada." fame) sells like 90% foreign content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

I guess you like getting shafted by the likes of Rogers, Bell and Telus? Are you satisfied with the crappy selection of media we have?

See the other part of this thread. I use Wind Mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Do you ACTUALLY defend this countries freedoms by serving?..or do you defend this countries freedoms by resting on your laurels, while consumers get ripped off left right and center? If it is the former, then respect man, next time you ship out let me know your base, i'll mail you a copy of corner gas.

10 years CF Regular. Still in.

Keep your copy of corner gas. I'd rather you remember to vote every election day and wear a poppy on Remembrance Day.
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I just realized what you meant here about Wind. He didn't say he used it on Wind Mobile in Canada. He said Wind.it, which is an italian carrier.

Ahhh. Okay. That makes more sense.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

You can blame Netflix and iTunes for not putting effort into populating their libraries.

With respect to conventional television broadcasting, CanCon rules stipulate that at least 60% of a station's total programming over a 24-hour period must be Canadian content, and at least 50% of a station's programming between 6pm and midnight must be Canadian content.

Such a system of quotas (especially the bit about specific quotas during a specific time of day) cannot be directly applied to an on-demand service such as Netflix. But you can bet there's something similar to that.

What's the consequence? If you have a quota that says X% of your content must be Canadian content, then for every (100-X) hours of foreign content you add to the library, you must also add X hours of Canadian content. When you run out of compelling Canadian content to add to the library, you must also stop adding new hours of foreign content to the library -- all you can do is shuffle around the existing hours of foreign content amongst the available programmes, to try to get the cream of the crop.
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ask the French-Canadian lobby.


Obviously, you don't know anything about English Canada nationalism or celebrated English speaking Canadian authors from Toronto.

But, to come back to the policy of requiring a Federal government authorisation for foreign-owned businesses in the areas of culture or communications, it was established to guarantee that Canadians would have access to Canadian cultural content (films, TV series, litterature, magazines) as opposed to highly subsidized or low cost, mass produced American films, TV series, litterature, magazines, etc.

Please note that American films, TV series, litterature, and magazines are still available in Canada by cable, satellite or postal subscription to American TV or magazines, or buying American records, magazines, newspapers, litterature, or watching Hollywood movies and TV series in Canadian owned cinemas, movie rental stores, or TV networks.

It cannot be said that any Canadian is deprived of American culture.

The Federal government policy was established to guarantee that Canadians would have access to Canadian cultural content.


post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

With respect to conventional television broadcasting, CanCon rules stipulate that at least 60% of a station's total programming over a 24-hour period must be Canadian content, and at least 50% of a station's programming between 6pm and midnight must be Canadian content.

Are you sure about those ratios? I never thought it was that high....at least if you look at what's on TV these days. I thought it was something like 20%. But I could be thinking about the radio. But whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Such a system of quotas (especially the bit about specific quotas during a specific time of day) cannot be directly applied to an on-demand service such as Netflix. But you can bet there's something similar to that.

What's the consequence? If you have a quota that says X% of your content must be Canadian content, then for every (100-X) hours of foreign content you add to the library, you must also add X hours of Canadian content. When you run out of compelling Canadian content to add to the library, you must also stop adding new hours of foreign content to the library -- all you can do is shuffle around the existing hours of foreign content amongst the available programmes, to try to get the cream of the crop.

That just means you have to find more CanCon. And I have always under the rules to be somewhat flexible for things like stores. As in they just have to do their best to stock Canadian content. Nobody's going to shut them down if they dip below the mandated level just because there's no Canadian content for them to sell.

And again, this is about books. If Chapters gets aways with selling a few racks of Canadian content, I really don't see how hard it would be for Apple to setup the ibookstore in Canada with CanCon rules. Or are you suggesting that Apple somehow has a tougher business to run with the iBookstore than Chapters with its bricks and mortar bookstores?

ps. Going back to this whole iTunes thing. What can't you get on iTunes in Canada, that you can get in the US? Maybe my tastes aren't broad enough but I've always found what I wanted on the iTunes store in Canada without any problems and I don't think my tastes are particularly Canadian in any way.
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

Why the hell does our government need to approve a BOOK STORE?

I know, right? How f'ed up does this statement sound "I have determined that this investment will be of net benefit to Canada." All hail the King.
post #53 of 56
Almost time for this thread to be moved to PO. Probably the first Canadian politics thread there in quite a while

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Do you have to use the computer after changing SIM cards to re-register the phone? Way back, the jailbreak was more effective than a carrier unlock...

Only once. When the phone is unlocked, you need to put the firmware back on to it. After that, you can change the simcard whenever you like, no issues, no lock, no problems with is refusing to use the card.
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson101 View Post

Only once. When the phone is unlocked, you need to put the firmware back on to it. After that, you can change the simcard whenever you like, no issues, no lock, no problems with is refusing to use the card.

I had my iP4 unlocked for Rogers. Any risk of it locking to AT&T when I head down to the US and pick up a AT&T prepaid SIM?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post

...And few Americans realize how ridiculously USA-centric their view of the world is.

...snip about preserving Canadian speech, by regulating it...

Am I glad we have the iBookstore in Canada now? Yup. Do I think it should have been allowed sooner? Possibly. Do I think the government got positive concessions out of Apple, that will improve Canadian free speech, by holding out? Absolutely!

They are 'improving Canadian Free Speech by holding out' approval?

Is that like wetness-free water?

The Canada defenders here have completely missed the point of my reply. The reason the Canadian government can require approval for an online book store is that Canada doesn't have ironclad constitutional free speech protection! In other words, you don't have free speech.

The justifications for that are immaterial. What's worse than needing bookstore approvals, is there are many kinds of speech that you can be sued or jailed for in Canada (and Europe) that are protected in the USA because we have true free speech. That isn't 'USA-centric,' it's just a fact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Canadian iBookstore approved, Rogers to unlock iPhones