or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Demand for all-in-one PCs surges as Apple's iMac leads the way

Demand for all-in-one PCs surges as Apple's iMac leads the way

post #1 of 62
"Surging demand" has led to increased component orders from manufacturers of all-in-one desktop PCs, a market where Apple's iMac is the top seller.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Wednesday that demand for all-in-one PCs has been "surging" recently, a surprising change as they cost more than traditional desktop computers. But sales are said to have increased significantly during the holiday season.

Industry sources reportedly said that Apple is the leading seller of all-in-one PCs, with its iMac line allegedly accounting for about 40 percent of total sales in 2010.

Apple's desktop sales in the first half of 2010 relied largely on the redesigned iMac released in late 2009. That led to an immediate 74 percent increase in Apple's desktop sales.

iMac sales received another boost in mid 2010, when Apple outfitted the all-in-one desktop with faster RAM and more capable Core i3, i5 and i7 processors. That upgrade kept the same external design introduced in late 2009.

All-in-one PCs are expected to reach about 10 million sales in 2010, and further increase in 2011 to between 12 million and 14 million units. Sources indicated that all-in-one PCs see better demand from the enterprise, a market where Apple saw significant growth in 2010.

Looking to 2011, component suppliers indicated that the presence of touchscreens in all-in-one desktops is expected to grow as features improve and prices become more competitive.

However, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said when showing off the upcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion in October that he believes touchscreens don't work when placed in front of a user. Instead, he said Apple plans to implement multi-touch on Macs with existing products like its notebook trackpads, or the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad for desktops.
post #2 of 62
How about having both touchscreen and a trackpad for the next Macs..
post #3 of 62
Apple already sells a trackpad that works very well with an iMac ($69). Regarding a touchscreen, I would tend to agree with the Steve Jobs quote cited in the article.
post #4 of 62
I would expect a rise in desktop PCs, with Apples iMac leading the way. I think the iPad opens up an option for many who can now use a tablet as their mobile computer and have a much more powerful for the money machine at home. Perhaps even be a single stationary machine for a household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That would be nice. I think AMOLED would work out best as it would use no power when showing a consistent deep black, so even a stock ticker widget scrolling across the top of the trackpad wouldnt use too much power, and things like a calculator number pad or audio EQ settings would only be around for a short time not affecting the power much whilst increasing productivity.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 62
Hopefully there'll be some good all-in-ones that don't include the Apple tax!
post #6 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple tax? What do you mean? There's state/provincial sales taxes but that's about it. Is this some kind of manufacturer's tax that doesn't appear on receipts?
post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

Apple already sells a trackpad that works very well with an iMac ($69). Regarding a touchscreen, I would tend to agree with the Steve Jobs quote cited in the article.

Dell offers an all in 1 with touch screen but I think in general the touch feature is only really popular with kids or for specific business applications. I personally don't want fingerprints all over my nice 21" screen.

The magic trackpad works awesome. It's funny how many people still using PCs will say they don't like the fact that Mac laptops only have a trackpad & don't have the little stick in the center of the keyboard. They think trackpad & all they can imagine is the horribly cramped & useless little things that come on PC laptops. I now prefer trackpads to a mouse thanks to my Mac!
post #8 of 62
Quote:

Apple tax! go have fun with all the lousy dell or hp branded crap box all in ones and the lousy windows software that runs on them.

Regarding "I now prefer trackpads to a mouse thanks to my Mac!". Apple's innovation never stops.
post #9 of 62
The good thing about an 'all in one PC' is it's easier to take to the dump.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #10 of 62
Quote:

How about not? Desktop computers with touchscreens have been around for 30 years or more. If you monitor does not have enough smudges and if your arms are not fatigued enough, then the touchscreen monitor is for you. Otherwise, you should stick with a mouse or track pad.
post #11 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple tax? What do you mean? There's state/provincial sales taxes but that's about it. Is this some kind of manufacturer's tax that doesn't appear on receipts?

i would hope this is a joke

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #12 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

i would hope this is a joke

I would hope this is a joke
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I would hope this is a joke

Allright, who farted?
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #14 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Allright, who farted?

+1

Sent from my all-in-one iMac that won't support an OS above 10.6.2 without replacing the graphics card... c'mon Apple... help us out! (first time in over 20 years [and close to 20 Macs] that Apple sold me a bit of a lemon... but otherwise it works perfectly).
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #15 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Industry sources reportedly said that Apple is the leading seller of all-in-one PCs, with its iMac line allegedly accounting for about 40 percent of total sales in 2010.. ...

Who even makes an all-in-one PC besides Apple and a couple of HP models?

I don't see how it makes sense to say that Apple is missing out on 60% of the "All-in-one" market. Who are the other vendors?

It's kind of a stupid designation anyway ("all-in-one").

Except for towers, all computers are "all-in-ones." All rack mount computers, all laptops, all mobiles, all tablets, etc. etc. It's kind of a meaningless metric to measure when you think about it.
post #16 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would expect a rise in desktop PCs, with Apple’s iMac leading the way. I think the iPad opens up an option for many who can now use a tablet as their mobile computer and have a much more powerful for the money machine at home. Perhaps even be a single stationary machine for a household.

This has been exactly our approach. For us, a 27" iMac is an awesome machine when serving as the foundation of such a strategy. My wife runs a freelance graphic design business on it, I manage all our finances on it (business and personal), we watch movies, tv and other video on it (we have no tv or cable so we watch netflix, iTunes, YouTube, etc), it handles updates for an iPad and 2 iPhones, and much more (too much to mention). We've gotten more bang for our buck from this machine than any other (first Mac was an se30 back in 1988).

Now add a family pack MobileMe so that everything is synced up without a worry and it all works like a charm. Our digital life has never been smoother. And when it comes time to upgrade, I can put more money into the iMac replacement because unlike in the past, there is only one "real" computer to worry about.
post #17 of 62
I'm kind of surprised by that statement that all-in-ones are more popular in the enterprise. I would have thought that IT types would be horrified by the idea that they can't keep reusing the same monitor as they go through multiple upgrades of the beige box.

I guess this means that the lifecycle of computers is longer now than it used to be, so that people expect to keep the computer and the monitor for a similar length of time (I know that's my expectation). But given the "culture" of IT, I'm surprised that they see it that way. Of course, 10 million units a year is pretty small potatoes in the total PC market, so maybe there aren't *too* many who see it that way...
post #18 of 62
Quote:

So, will greasy fingerprints and gorilla arm now be considered features?
They would in the Windows parallel universe.

I can use my iPod touch and iPad as a trackpad/keyboard with the TouchPad app. I use it when streaming Netflix movies or looking at photos on my HDTV from my MacBook Pro from across the room. $5. Very Cool.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #19 of 62
Quote:

I gladly pay this "tax" for a machine that doesn't crap out every month, doesn't get virus and come preloaded with all the software I need without having to pay the "Microsoft Tax" (aka Office products). You get the FULL version of the OS for FREE.

Also, they actually hold their value so you don't just have to throw them away.
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The 'Apple Tax' is a meme that paying for quality constitutes a 'tax'.
Typical troll nonsense.
post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see how it makes sense to say that Apple is missing out on 60% of the "All-in-one" market. Who are the other vendors?

Except for towers, all computers are "all-in-ones." All rack mount computers, all laptops, all mobiles, all tablets, etc. etc. It's kind of a meaningless metric to measure when you think about it.

What the hell does, "Prof." stand for? I hope you are not one of my colleagues. But then again, there are a couple of…when I think about it.
post #22 of 62
Quote:

You really don’t understand that All-In-One refers specifically to desktop computers, which mostly still sell the monitor as a separate unit?
post #23 of 62
Quote:

How about not making us pay for a touchscreen feature that we don't want?

Go through the motions and pretend to use a touchscreen on an iMac for just 15 minutes and then decide if you really want a touchscreen on it.
post #24 of 62
Quote:

+1

Sent from my all-in-one iMac that won't support an OS above 10.6.2 without replacing the graphics card... c'mon Apple... help us out! (first time in over 20 years [and close to 20 Macs] that Apple sold me a bit of a lemon... but otherwise it works perfectly).

Don't know where you came up with that one. OS X 10.6.5 (the most current version) will install on ANY Mac with an Intel CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 5GB of hard drive space.
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Don't know where you came up with that one. OS X 10.6.5 (the most current version) will install on ANY Mac with an Intel CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 5GB of hard drive space.

It struck me as odd, too, so I checked. As you say, all Intel iMacs support the latest version of Mac OS X. In fact, its either support for 10.6.5, or 10.5.8, which means its a PPC-based iMac. That means that even a 32-bit, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Yonah with 2GB RAM that shipped with 10.4.4 and released in January 2006 supports 10.6.5, and will likely be supported until the end of 10.6, when I think either 64-bit Macs or OpenCL supported Macs will be required for 10.7.
post #26 of 62
Quote:

"...demand for all-in-one PCs has been "surging" recently... Apple is the leading seller of all-in-one PCs... Sources indicated that all-in-one PCs see better demand from the enterprise... component suppliers indicated that the presence of touchscreens in all-in-one desktops is expected to grow... Steve Jobs said... he believes touchscreens don't work when placed in front of a user."

Demand surging, hmm, you don't say.
Apple is the leader, hmm, who else makes a *decent* 'all-in-one'? Nobody. Ok.
More demand from enterprise? Surprising, I'm not sure I buy that. My company is opposite.
Touchscreens? For desktop use they suck, but they have their place - for example: point-of-sale systems - perfect scenario for a touch screen.
post #27 of 62
Quote:

Look it up... a lot of mid 2007 iMacs have an issue with not being able to upgrade beyond 10.6.2. Something was added to 10.6.3 (and beyond) that breaks these computers. I've had a few people tell me that things seemed to get corrected after they had their graphics card replaced... but at $250+ I have to ask if it's worth it at this point. Apple definitely won't admit to the problem publicly... I would imagine the error rate is either low or a lot of people just haven't updated those Macs or they got rid of them because they crash all of the time.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #28 of 62
Quote:

Industry sources reportedly said that Apple is the leading seller of all-in-one PCs, with its iMac line allegedly accounting for about 40 percent of total sales in 2010.

Why is this stated as accusation of wrongdoing, or as though it might be a bad thing?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #29 of 62
Do a price breakdown on the latest iMacs, making sure to account for the high-resolution IPS screens, full-speed harddrives, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, fully-capable commercial OS, and iLife, and you'll probably find that they're actually cheaper than any competitor.
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

...I would have thought that IT types would be horrified by the idea that they can't keep reusing the same monitor as they go through multiple upgrades of the beige box...

Exactly. My company's IT keeps the monitor until it dies (or until the employees get sooo tired of looking at a 17" screen that it meets up with a timely 'accident'), and they replace the box every 3 years, although the box is now black instead of beige.
post #31 of 62
Quote:

Look it up... a lot of mid 2007 iMacs have an issue with not being able to upgrade beyond 10.6.2. Something was added to 10.6.3 (and beyond) that breaks these computers. I've had a few people tell me that things seemed to get corrected after they had their graphics card replaced... but at $250+ I have to ask if it's worth it at this point. Apple definitely won't admit to the problem publicly... I would imagine the error rate is either low or a lot of people just haven't updated those Macs or they got rid of them because they crash all of the time.

Your first implication is that there are iMacs that arent designed to support Mac OS X beyond 10.6.2, now you are saying there is an unresolved graphics issue that is preventing you from risking the upgrade. That is a very different thing.

Also, I say call Apple can get them to resolve it. They support the OS on those machines so even if you are out of warranty they have an obligation to make it work.

Quote:

Exactly. My company's IT keeps the monitor until it dies (or until the employees get sooo tired of looking at a 17" screen that it meets up with a timely 'accident'), and they replace the box every 3 years, although the box is now black instead of beige.

Its possible that break/fix IT departments have been dumbed down and reduced in numbers at companies to lower costs. One option would be to make any PC issues that are HW related to be replaced with a single AIO unit. Less wires and less effort. If they are under warranty from their distributer they just send them back, if they do have iMacs they probably have a pretty good resale value. Plus, with intranet speeds and browser-based computing increasing the effort to set up a new machine could be as simple as your log in pulling your user profile from a server, which is already common.
post #32 of 62
Quote:

If I recall, there were some iMacs with a graphics card problem that were fixed with a firmware update. All these machines are compatible with 10.6.5 If your machine has an issue unresolved by firmware fix, I'd say pester Apple about it every day until they fix it.
post #33 of 62
So when can we expect the iMac to be updated?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #34 of 62
Quote:

Quote:

If I recall, there were some iMacs with a graphics card problem that were fixed with a firmware update. All these machines are compatible with 10.6.5 If your machine has an issue unresolved by firmware fix, I'd say pester Apple about it every day until they fix it.

It is an odd issue relating to 'some' 07 iMacs. There was a similar issue with 27" iMacs when they came out, if I remember right. The affected 07 iMacs (I had this problem) check out fine no matter what HW test you throw at it, yet when you install any OS after 10.6.2 the OS taxes the graphics card in a way that makes the computer freeze. There are threads on this subject on Apple Support forums.
Apple argued that it was a hardware problem which only a graphics card replacement would fix. As a 2007 machine is out of warranty one would have to shell out a fair bit of money to replace the graphics card with the exact same card. Is it worth it? is the big question.
I argued that it was a software fault as you could not crash my machine for love nor money whilst running 10.6.2 and Apple eventually replaced the card free of charge. In order for this to happen I had to bring my machine to the Genius bar a handful of times, purchase an Apple Care single incident 'session' and provide Apple with links to the various discussion threads on their forums to prove that this was indeed not a singular case. Even so the resolution was an judgement call by a very nice Apple Care person who overturned a previous decision.
post #35 of 62
Quote:

Hey... myself and a few dozen others (that I know about) have been pestering Apple for quite a while but they seem to refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem.

The firmware fix was actually for iMacs dated around January of 2008 and beyond. It seems there is nothing they could do with the mid 2007 iMacs other than to replace the graphics cards or just to ignore us. They seem to have chosen the ignore route.

I'm a bit upset but it's the first time in over 20 years and a lot of Macs so it's easier to blow it off...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 62
Deleted
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #37 of 62
Quote:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-2305-amd/pd

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...om%2Findex.php

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/SubFamMatrix.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&Produc tLineId=429&FamilyId=2969&LowBaseId=33899&LowPrice =$839.01&jumpid=re_r295_psg_dtgw_AIO_category_1/psgpromo&psn=desktops_workstations/desktop_pcs#

http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?...&CRC=592837163

http://www.gateway.com/programs/zxse...pnav_computers

http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup1.as...XJ3CLh1yFNP8gU
post #38 of 62
If you want a touchscreen computer, get an iPad. Everything else sucks. (I’ve tried an all-in-one touchscreen PC.)
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

The magic trackpad works awesome. It's funny how many people still using PCs will say they don't like the fact that Mac laptops only have a trackpad & don't have the little stick in the center of the keyboard. They think trackpad & all they can imagine is the horribly cramped & useless little things that come on PC laptops. I now prefer trackpads to a mouse thanks to my Mac!

I never thought i'd give up the mouse either and yet when it comes to using the Mac's I enjoy using them without a mouse nowadays. I only use them at work. When I work with others and their Windows laptops the mouse is still a must have. Maybe some of the mac copies (the HP envy?) might be getting better trackpads and software but I'm not convinced they're the same, yet.
post #40 of 62
Quote:

+1

Which iMac would that be?

They've been all-in-one from the very beginning around '98.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Demand for all-in-one PCs surges as Apple's iMac leads the way