or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Facebook's Zuckerberg beats Apple's Steve Jobs as Time Person of the Year

Facebook's Zuckerberg beats Apple's Steve Jobs as Time Person of the Year - Page 3

post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

While Facebook (or any organization) should be treated with a certain amount of distrust, but this, really? There were plenty of legitimate uses for pagers when they got the rap for being instrumental in drug deals. I'm sure telephones have been used to help commit many more crimes than that. The same goes with the internet in general. Some people use cars to drive to their destination to commit crime. I think it's silly to blame the tools based on their misuse by dark side of humanity. People will use whatever tools they have to do what they want. I doubt you'd slow down bullying or even put a dent in crime even if the site was killed.

Yes you make good points, but like most repliers to my post still fail to see the picture. My rant was that Gacebook makes it SO MUCH EASIER and greatly simplifies the process of tracking individuals, and hence those Govt. Establishments can snare many more and on a greatly increased frequency. Wire tapping of phones require warrants, as far as I know. So cannot breach our rights as easily.
You cannot deny that Facebook has been instrumental in making it easier in perpetrating bullying and crime. Yes so can phones, I never wrote that they couldn't did I ?
However the proof is out there that cyber bullying has exploded, so what is the reason for this ? Social networking sites, where Facebook is the prominent one.
Look at it in a unbiased light, does it make it worse? The answer would be YES.
post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

However the proof is out there that cyber bullying has exploded, so what is the reason for this ? Social networking sites, where Facebook is the prominent one.
Look at it in a unbiased light, does it make it worse? The answer would be YES.

What if it's just a change in type of bullying that changed with the times? Is there actual proof that bullying in general is on the rise, or is it just an impression that we get? I have not found actual stats on the trends. The closest is finding that violent crimes at school have been declining in the last 15 years: http://youthviolence.edschool.virgin...tatistics.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Facebook's Zuckerberg beats Apple's Steve Jobs as Time Person of the Year