or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 10.1.1 update causing crashes instead of fixing them

iTunes 10.1.1 update causing crashes instead of fixing them

post #1 of 65
Some users are reporting that updating to iTunes 10.1.1, which is supposed to resolve issues that could cause it to crash, causes iTunes to crash, leaving them unable to open the application.

Apple released a minor update to its iTunes software on Wednesday, ostensibly resolving issues that could cause iTunes to unexpectedly quit.

However, several AppleInsider readers have reported that, after installing the update, iTunes immediately crashes upon opening, rendering the program unusable.

Users have also reported the issue on the Apple Support discussion forums. In one thread, users detail their problems with iTunes crashing upon opening and failing to load after upgrading to iTunes 10.1.1.

Some users report receiving the following Problem Report: "iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure iTunes works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

Several posters were able to resolve the crashing issue by downloading iTunes directly from Apple's website instead of through Software Update, and then overwriting the previously updated software.

Another issue users are reporting is being unable to download and install the iTunes update through Software Update. According to forum user Gioker, Software Update displays an error message stating, "The update iTunes can't be saved - a networking error has occurred. Cannot open file (-3001) Make sure you can connect to the internet and try again," despite being connected to the internet. Apple's standalone iTunes installer appears to run without any problems.

Apple's previous update, iTunes 10.1, was released in November, adding support for iOS 4.2 and AirPlay functionality with the Apple TV.
post #2 of 65
I guess it's time to take a wait-and-see approach before I update my i7 iMac. That's quite unusual for Apple.
post #3 of 65
It's working fine on my 8-y.o. PPC!

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #4 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

It works just great on my 2007 Mac Mini.
post #5 of 65
Worked great on my MBP and Mac Pro.
Both about one model back.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #6 of 65
No problems at work on my '08 iMac. Downloaded the update from Apple's website, not from Software Updater, btw.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #7 of 65
No problems for me on three different Macs. Used software update to download and install on two MacBook Pros and one MacMini with all three working just fine. Really AppleInsider your report should read some users have reported but which users are you referring to? Maybe you've been duped into reporting something bogus.
post #8 of 65
Working fine on my 2009 13" MacBook (the one I bought just before the MacBook Pro was released at a much lower price).

My Apple TV updated too, is was showing @ 640x480, which cut off half the view on my Hitachi 55" Plasma with DVI input, now it's at 1024 x 768 and I can see all the menus.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I guess it's time to take a wait-and-see approach before I update my i7 iMac. That's quite unusual for Apple.

Worked fine on my i5 iMac (early 2010).
post #10 of 65
No problem here. Sorry to hear people are having issues with an x.x.1 bug update.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 65
I did update my new 13" MBA before I came across the article. Works fine. Nonetheless, I still wait to see what develops, if anything before I update my i7 iMac since that is my main iTunes machine.
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

No problems at work on my '08 iMac. Downloaded the update from Apple's website, not from Software Updater, btw.

No problems the MacBook specified in my signature running OS X 10.6.5. Downloaded the update from Apple's website, not from Software Updater, btw.
post #13 of 65
Just now installed on my 17" MBP (2010). Seems to be working fine. (Installed via Software Update)
post #14 of 65
I think we need to know what kind of Mac these crashes were happening on... need more detail about the specifics surrounding their update problems.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 65
It crashed on my late 2009 MBP. I just trashed iTunes and then reinstalled a fresh copy and it works fine. It even fixed that annoying message of allowing incoming connection that popped up ever since version 10 came out. Reinstalling took all of two minutes. Minor annoyance at best.
post #16 of 65
Screwed up on my mid-2009 13" MbP. Even trying to restore from a time machine backup failed b/c I got an error stating that the system can't recognize a folder with the same name, even though I told it to trash the new version and replace w/ the backup. I did get the time machine backup to work when keeping both copies, but it was still wrong because there was no icon, and the only files in the resources folder were dutch language. Don't know how they did it.. but Apple really pulled a M$ on this one.
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post

It crashed on my late 2009 MBP. I just trashed iTunes and then reinstalled a fresh copy and it works fine. It even fixed that annoying message of allowing incoming connection that popped up ever since version 10 came out. Reinstalling took all of two minutes. Minor annoyance at best.

I think the install package is docked up on auto-update.

It didn't completely install on one of my macs unless I used the full copy.

I also noticed a 20 mb size difference between the Software Update version and the download, which is a first for iTunes as far as I can recall.
post #18 of 65
Sounds like maybe the software update download was incomplete or corrupted. Hence why most of us are not having problems with iTunes and why re-downloading fixes the problem.
post #19 of 65
Seems like inaccurate and irresponsible AI reporting.
post #20 of 65
It crashes on my (4 week old) MacBook Pro i7. Applied through Software Update. Downloading and installing manually fixed the problem. "Apple stuff just works." Pfft.
post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Seems like inaccurate and irresponsible AI reporting.

Irresponsible, yes. Inaccurate, probably not, as the facts are facts. Updating to iTunes 10.1.1 is leading to crashes for some people, but what's missing is that the crashing may not be a result of iTunes, but rather the update process. Apple's update servers may be getting slammed and crippling under the load.
post #22 of 65
Let's just put the following down in text up front, to save future posters the trouble and dramatics:

APPLE, ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BETA TEST YOUR SOFTWARE?

I GUESS APPLE'S TOO BUSY PUTTING REFLECTIONS IN THE DOCK TO DO QUALITY CONTROL

APPLE, ARE YOU LISTENING?

Any others?
post #23 of 65
Yep, after updating, I got the "iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem" error...like others have mentioned, I trashed iTunes and then reinstalled and everything is working now. Running iTunes on my two week old MacBook Pro 15" I5...

sNF
post #24 of 65
iTunes is the absolutely WORST piece of software released by Apple. They need to rebuild the thing from the ground up not just patch and bloat it. I want wireless syncing....not Genius. I want folder monitoring....not Ping. I want something that is quick and lite and more visually appealing like FrontRow.

Just my opinion.
post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by abideworldwide View Post

Really AppleInsider your report should read some users have reported but which users are you referring to? Maybe you've been duped into reporting something bogus.

well it isn't bogus. It is not working for some folks.

But you are correct that it is not universal and details could help avoid another mediagate issue

Are the issues only with PPC systems. Only with pre snow cat. Only with folks that were already having crash troubles, only with using software updat. Only a particular combo

In my case we are talking a g4 with one gig of ram, using 10.5.8. It was already crashing and I used software update. Opened it and before the library was even loaded it crashed. Basically exactly what it was doing before.

So I deleted iTunes and downloaded it from the website. Just to really cover my tracks, I eve deleted my library file and my preferences. Might not matter but what the hey, why not

we will see what happens

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #26 of 65
No issues with the 5 macs in the house. All done via Software Updater.
post #27 of 65
ditto
pulled in install package and re ran it and voila
post #28 of 65
Running iTunes 9.0.2 Just paid $150 for a new iPod nano. Does NOT work on iTunes 9.0.2. Says to update to newer version. iTunes sees that a new version is there, and switches to software update, which does NOT see any new software updates. Downloaded newer iTunes version from apple and says it does NOT work on my older mac OX 10.4.11 software. ?????? So I have to pay to upgrade to use my new iPod??????? Never had anything to complain about apple until now.......... now that I have a $150 mini-brick of an iPod.....
post #29 of 65
I received the very error in the article.

Went to apple.com and downloaded iTunes 10.1.1, anew.

Initially, I thought it was just me.

All fine now
post #30 of 65
4 installs so far, no issues.
post #31 of 65
I had the same issue after updating via Software Update. I went to Apple's website, downloaded it and it installed fine. I have never had an issue like that with Apple software. Odd.
post #32 of 65
Refuse to install until Steve Jobs addresses this mess up via email.
post #33 of 65
I also had this problem. I was thinking it was because I only downloaded part of it (was on a time limit), but know I'm thinking otherwise. I fixed it by downloading it from Apple's website instead. BTW, when it crashed, I checked to see how much space it was and it was only 56 MB.
post #34 of 65
Same here.
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdan7 View Post

Running iTunes 9.0.2 Just paid $150 for a new iPod nano. Does NOT work on iTunes 9.0.2. Says to update to newer version. iTunes sees that a new version is there, and switches to software update, which does NOT see any new software updates. Downloaded newer iTunes version from apple and says it does NOT work on my older mac OX 10.4.11 software. ?????? So I have to pay to upgrade to use my new iPod??????? Never had anything to complain about apple until now.......... now that I have a $150 mini-brick of an iPod.....

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, and iTunes 10 or later is listed as Apple's requirements for the new Nano. You will have to buy Snow Leopard (which thankfully is only $30), and install it. Your Mac must be an Intel Mac to get it to work. Intel Macs are from 2007 or newer.
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, and iTunes 10 or later is listed as Apple's requirements for the new Nano. You will have to buy Snow Leopard (which thankfully is only $30), and install it. Your Mac must be an Intel Mac to get it to work. Intel Macs are from 2007 or newer.

Nah, my old Intel MacBook was from 2006 and ran Snow Leopard quite well.

Try again.
post #37 of 65
It crashes right away after software update.
However downloaded the 10.1.1 from Apple side and now back in the business with no crashes.
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Runs smoothly on my PowerBook, as well.
post #39 of 65
No problem here, updated a PPC G5 machine running Leopard, from software update. Haven't yet updated my Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.
post #40 of 65
Using an '08 MBPro on 10.6.5 I used the Updater after which the program would NOT open. I then downloaded the full program from the iTunes website and all seems to be fine at the moment.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 10.1.1 update causing crashes instead of fixing them