or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to open Mac App Store Jan. 6 in 90 countries

Apple to open Mac App Store Jan. 6 in 90 countries

post #1 of 51
Apple announced on Thursday that the Mac App Store for Mac OS X Snow Leopard will debut with both free and paid applications for download on Jan. 6, 2011.

In a press release, Apple said the Mac App Store will make discovering, installing and updating Mac apps easier than ever. The software download destination will be available in 90 countries at launch, and will feature paid and free apps in categories like Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity and Utilities.

"The App Store revolutionized mobile apps," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We hope to do the same for PC apps with the Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy and fun. We can’t wait to get started on January 6."

The Mac App Store will allow users to browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what's hot, view staff favorites, search categories and read customer ratings and reviews. Like on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, users can purchase, download and install apps in just one click and start using them immediately.

Purchased apps can run on all personal Macs and updates are delivered directly through the Mac App Store, making it easy to keep apps up to date. The Mac App Store will be available to Mac OS X Snow Leopard users as a free download through Software Update.

Mac developers set the price for their apps, keep 70 percent of the sales revenue, are not charged for free apps and do not have to pay hosting, marketing or credit card fees. To find out more about developing for the Mac App Store visit developer.apple.com/programs/mac.

In November, AppleInsider exclusively reported that the Mac App Store would debut in January 2011, and the launch of the service would also see the release of Apple's new iWork '11 productivity suite.

Apple announced the Mac App Store in October, at a media event where it also unveiled the new MacBook Air models. While it is launching with Snow Leopard, the new Mac App Store will also be an integral part of the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, set to launch in the summer of 2011.
post #2 of 51
Can I go on record saying this will be huge and game changing (no pun intended)? Thanks

Like so many things Apple does, this isn't a new concept as such it's just going to be done right for the first time (think MP3 players, pads and phones).
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 51
Thank you Apple
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mac App Store will allow users to browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what's hot, view staff favorites, search categories and read customer ratings and reviews. Like on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, users can purchase, download and install apps in just one click and start using them immediately.

I sure hope that they use this opportunity to finally disallow side-loading unauthorized pieces of code on Macs. If they were to do that, I bet AppleCare would be cheaper for all of us. That way, the User Experience would be correct, and the support requests would fall off dramatically.
post #5 of 51
The day CES starts? So does this mean Apple will attend CES this year or will be a way to draw attention away from the other booths, even though SW and services never outshine new HW.

I expect another year dominated by tablets. I hope someone takes the time to compare the YoY tablet changes between companies that occurred because of the iPad. Should be worth a laugh or two, especially if they contain videos from last year from company spokespersons about how great their concept is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveMYiPhoneAndWantToGetaMAC View Post

I sure hope that they use this opportunity to finally disallow side-loading unauthorized pieces of code on Macs. If they were to do that, I bet AppleCare would be cheaper for all of us. That way, the User Experience would be correct, and the support requests would fall off dramatically.

I doubt it since MAS will only be a new option to obtaining apps, not a replacement to the standard desktop OS method of installing apps. For AppleCare to drop Id think the number of Mac users would have to increase dramatically and/or less moving parts in a Macs that could possibly break. How many people bring/send in their Macs because their slot-loading ODD doesnt work right?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 51
Does it still meet the within 90 days limit?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #7 of 51
Yup! Can't wait to see what they come up with. It's going to be exiting.
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Does it still meet the within 90 days limit?

Would it matter if it didn't? You're getting it. MUCH earlier than most Apple products with time limits.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #9 of 51
I wonder when 10.6.6 arrives.
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I wonder when 10.6.6 arrives.

I say before MAS arrives, is most likely. But will it have MAS installed or will this be a separate DL from apple.com or through Software Update?
post #11 of 51
Quote:

Looks like SerialTroll is trying something a little different with his aliases.
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because MAs arrives seems very likely. But will it have MAS installed or will this be a separate DL from apple.com or through Software Update?

And will it update itself though the MAS?

Probably not, but an interesting question whether apps like iTunes will continue to be updated through Software Update, or if they will be made available through MAS.
post #13 of 51
Quote:

... Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We hope to do the same for PC apps with the Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy and fun...."

Was that misspoken, misquoted, or prophetic?
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Probably not, but an interesting question whether apps like iTunes will continue to be updated through Software Update, or if they will be made available through MAS.

I thought the MAS demo showed that updates happen through that app. Or maybe it was thought LaunchPad. Or maybe Im imagining it.
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Since it would appear that MAS is Snow Leopard .... I think iTunes will still be a software update item. There are still some on Tiger and other OS versions. Perhaps "down the road" that will all change.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #16 of 51
What does the iOS app store has over the Android app store?

Type of users: Users on iOS buy more apps than users on Android.

Same will go for the Mac app store. This attracts developpers and will improved choice on the MacOS which will make MacOS even more popular. Lets hope volume brings a drop in software prices.

Expect everyone, there mother and there pets to copy this feature pretty quickly.
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

Was that misspoken, misquoted, or prophetic?

PC = Personal Computer ..... an iMac is a Mac Personal Computer.
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What does the iOS app store has over the Android app store?

Type of users: Users on iOS buy more apps than users on Android.

Same will go for the Mac app store. This attracts developpers and will improved choice on the MacOS which will make MacOS even more popular. Lets hope volume brings a drop in software prices.

Expect everyone, there mother and there pets to copy this feature pretty quickly.

I hope Apple makes it easy for iOS devs to write apps so they work on the Mac platform. Love to move from my iPhone to Mac to play Angry Birds, or simply buy a single Multiverse app thats optimized for my iPhone, iPad and Mac.
post #19 of 51
Quote:

This style of post seems consistent with many other ones posted by a multi-alias member... with multiple bans.

The annoying name is a bit of a clue too.
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

PC = Personal Computer ..... an iMac is a Mac Personal Computer.

Yep, but consider this:

Is there a company more invested than Apple in pointing out the difference between Macs and PCs? --"I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC". Branding, not meaning.

Have you heard any Apple spokesperson, let alone master communicator Steve Jobs, ever refer to a Mac as a PC?

Yet, Steve's choice of words for the announcement of the most significant expansion of their most important invention of at least the last few years, the AppStore, is to mention PCs twice as often as Macs.

My guess is that they are preparing to push the Mac into the mainstream, just like they did with mac.com when they renamed it MobileMe.

So, yes, you're right, from now on Mac = PC

(That, or Apple just used their gazillions to pay cash for the entire PC industry )
post #21 of 51
I think it'll be fascinating to see how this unfolds with regards to Mac vs Windows gaming and products from established Mac software giants such as Adobe.

Will the sheer accessibility and ease of development that is associated with the iOS App Store transfer over to the Mac? I assume so as the tools will be nearly identical. Will that make it so easy to develop for the Mac and get a product out there (with automatic, free updating) that we see all but the largest game developers choosing to make an easy buck on the Mac rather than hosting and marketing in a Windows environment with no help from Microsoft (anyone else wondering why on earth MS did think of an app store years ago?). All shipping Macs have a capable GPU nowadays, gaming could be the real growth area that the app store fertilises, at least in sub-ultra-graphical games.

As for Adobe, will they want to cede 30% of their revenue? What does their site's hosting cost them? Can't be anything like 30%! Will they be able to rip off the European market so shamefully on the Mac app store? If they choose to shun the app store, will other rival apps gain traction and eat into their market share? It's all going to be fascinating to watch!

I for one am extremely excited about this, it could be seismic.
post #22 of 51
Quote:

We cant wait to get started on January 6.

On the 12th Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

...F*** loads of Mac Apps via the new App Store.

Cheers Apple.

What does Epiphany mean to Mac users?
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

If they choose to shun the app store, will other rival apps gain traction and eat into their market share? It's all going to be fascinating to watch!

I for one am extremely excited about this, it could be seismic.

Epic. I'd bet that neither Adobe nor Msft will appear on the App Store with CS or Office for a good while yet. Hopefully there'll be some more awesome alternatives knocking about very soon Ã* la Pixelmator. And of course there's iWork...

And with Lion coming out later, will we see The Year of the Mac?

...Sorry Steve, Year of the PC? WTF.

Death to large software companies! Long live Great Hardware!
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Epic. I'd bet that neither Adobe nor Msft will appear on the App Store with CS or Office for a good while yet. Hopefully there'll be some more awesome alternatives knocking about very soon Ã* la Pixelmator. And of course there's iWork...

And with Lion coming out later, will we see The Year of the Mac?

...Sorry Steve, Year of the PC? WTF.

Death to large software companies! Long live Great Hardware!

I don’t think they could sell those apps on MAS even if they wanted to. I assume they have to be built using Cocoa and not access any “off limits” area of the OS. They might not even be able to use private APIs.

I don’t even think simpler apps like iStat Menus could sell through MAS because it needs access to the core OS services.

Or am I completely off base with this mimicing how the iOS App Store (iAS) works?

PS: Nothing wrong with calling a Mac a PC or Personal Computer. It’s been 36 years since tried to differentiate their GUI based Mac from IBM-PC (and clones) running DOS, but they’ve always been PCs. It’s just like saying a Sony Vaio isn’t a PC it’s a Vaio. All marketing.
post #25 of 51
Can't wait. It'll certainly make my MBP a little less boring of an evening. From an entertainment point of view the iPad has virtually made it redundant.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

What does Epiphany mean to Mac users?

Yes i can just see SJ jumping up and shouting; "Eureka! i've just worked out another way to extract more ££$$.
post #27 of 51
Developers of music applications are going to have a field day with this.
I use StompBox and AmpliTube on the iPad but needed to purchase a separate interface (iRig) in order to use. The Mac desktop and laptops have all the interfaces you need.

Integration with LogicExpress is a cert.
post #28 of 51
Quote:

The day CES starts? So does this mean Apple will attend CES this year or will be a way to draw attention away from the other booths, even though SW and services never outshine new HW.

New Intel hardware suggests new Mac hardware, which might suggest no optical drives in the laptop range any more, which means Apple should have a Mac store in place for people who wonder how they will get software onto their machine.
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

New Intel hardware suggests new Mac hardware, which might suggest no optical drives in the laptop range any more, which means Apple should have a Mac store in place for people who wonder how they will get software onto their machine.

Is that really an issue for people? Most apps that will allowed in MAS arent likely to be shipped on disc anyway. And even Adobe and MS app suites can be downloaded from their respective websites.

I think the need for an ODD to install apps or run off a disc is pretty uncommon these days. I think the biggest thing holding back the removable of the ODD was the cost of NAND for a (then 16GB) now 8GB Flash drive to hold the System Restore Disc. The first MBA oddly included a disc but no ODD, just a new method to boot to disc from networked Macs ODD.
post #30 of 51
Quote:

Is that really an issue for people? Most apps that will allowed in MAS arent likely to be shipped on disc anyway. And even Adobe and MS app suites can be downloaded from their respective websites.

From a support point of view perhaps. I know everyone here will get software online but people who don't work with computers all the time are used to buying in-store - I still see retail boxes of software in people's houses. It's just a centralised place that mimics how a retail store works and it's always present.

It's an easy answer if someone asks and it encourages developers to move to online distribution exclusively. If Apple didn't have a solution, someone might ask 'where do I get word processing software?', to which the reply might be 'online' but then the response will be 'yeah, but where online?'. Now they can say to look in the App Store.
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

From a support point of view perhaps. I know everyone here will get software online but people who don't work with computers all the time are used to buying in-store - I still see retail boxes of software in people's houses. It's just a centralised place that mimics how a retail store works and it's always present.

It's an easy answer if someone asks and it encourages developers to move to online distribution exclusively. If Apple didn't have a solution, someone might ask 'where do I get word processing software?', to which the reply might be 'online' but then the response will be 'yeah, but where online?'. Now they can say to look in the App Store.

I think you have a valid point from Apples marketing position, but I think the majority of users have been getting software online for awhile now. The SW sections in stores has dropped considerably over the years. In part from online retail stores selling as lower prices than B&M stores can offer, but also from downloads.

Plus, I think the MacBook will stay and will have an ODD and perhaps even drop its price a bit to be lower than the entry level MBA. I think the only ones that wont have internal ODDs to start will be the 13 and 15 MBPs, along with the MBAs. Everything else likely has space for an ODD for the time being. And its not like they cant buy one of many external USB ODDs if needed, so its not like users have to completely turn their back on optical discs.

PS: Coincidentally, I have to burn a DVD today, which means I have to pull out my external ODD.
post #32 of 51
....where's the list of the 90 countries??
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

....where's the list of the 90 countries??

THESE minus about about 15.
post #34 of 51
Quote:

Nooooooooooo!!!!! Sure, you could allow it as an option, but making it "mandatory" or even the default would be disastrously disruptive to the Mac market. Not everyone who uses a Mac is a casual user regardless of what Apple haters might say. Locking down the Mac would be like cutting off the oxygen supply to the Apple ecosystem.
post #35 of 51
Apple is def beefing up their world-wide op capacity - releasing the store in 90 countries simultaneously after their history of rolling out in smaller waves.

Feature article suggestion: a behind the scenes on how everything in something as ambitious as this whole new store is brought out complete in maybe what, 30-40 languages and 60 or more currencies?

Is the language translation done by humans? Is it done mostly by algorithms and then cleaned up by humans? Is the pricing automated by formula as well, taking into account currency trends, VAT's, any import duties, etc.?

How are apps available in all countries treated as compared to those only available in one or a few of the country stores?

If Apple would co-operate, inquiring minds would find this quite fascinating I think. It's a massive and impressive undertaking from a company with a few kids in a garage 30 some years ago.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #36 of 51
Once again a game changer. I don't know if anybody has ever pointed out how completely Apple has won the battle for acceptance of the Mac word 'app'. Every smart phone manufacturer now calls them 'apps'. but I guess if Microsoft had got there first we would have had a 'prog. store! Doesn't have the same ring does it?
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

Once again a game changer. I don't know if anybody has ever pointed out how completely Apple has won the battle for acceptance of the Mac word 'app'. Every smart phone manufacturer now calls them 'apps'. but I guess if Microsoft had got there first we would have had a 'prog. store! Doesn't have the same ring does it?

Nah, MS would have invented some stupid name they thought would be cute and marketable but ultimately wind up helping to kill the platform. Perhaps something as dumb as Progies or maybe a made up acronym they think is clever.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Apple is def beefing up their world-wide op capacity - releasing the store in 90 countries simultaneously after their history of rolling out in smaller waves.

They do have a little experience in doing such a thing. It's called iTunes Store.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Can I go on record saying this will be huge and game changing (no pun intended)? Thanks

Like so many things Apple does, this isn't a new concept as such it's just going to be done right for the first time (think MP3 players, pads and phones).

Except for the fact that Linux distro package managers do the same thing as the App Store, except better and have been around much longer.
post #40 of 51
Quote:

Nah, MS would have invented some stupid name they thought would be cute and marketable but ultimately wind up helping to kill the platform. Perhaps something as dumb as Progies or maybe a made up acronym they think is clever.

Hypocritrical post considering all the stupid, "cute" names Apple uses for many of its industry-standard technologies.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to open Mac App Store Jan. 6 in 90 countries