or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Controversial Steve Jobs figurine appears to sell for $2,500 on eBay

Controversial Steve Jobs figurine appears to sell for $2,500 on eBay

post #1 of 63
After a law firm representing Apple blocked the producer of a lifelike action figure of Apple CEO Steve Jobs from selling it, the figure has apparently sold for $2,500 on eBay.

MIC Gadget began selling the figurines, which feature the charismatic CEO in his trademark black mock turtleneck, blue jeans and New Balance trainers holding an iPhone, in November, quickly selling out of the initial run of 300 limited edition figures.

Within days, Apple learned of the figurine and sent a cease-and-desist email to the website, citing California Civil Code Section 3344, "which prohibits the use of any persons name, photograph or likeness in a product without that persons prior consent."

Some of the figures have now made their way to eBay, where several listings (1, 2) have already closed for $2,500.

The auctions are highly suspect, however, and may be an attempt by resellers to manipulate the figure's price on the secondary market. For instance, one auction, from a seller who hasn't received feedback since 2008, listed a starting price of $1,000, but eventually sold for the $2,500 Buy It Now price without any bids.

Source: eBay

The hoopla surrounding the Jobs action figurine stems from the iconic place that the CEO continues to occupy in culture. Earlier this week, he was named one of Time magazine's "People Who Mattered" in 2010, losing out to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg for the title of "Person of the Year." Last week, MarketWatch granted Jobs the honor of "CEO of the Decade."

Though Jobs has fought to keep his personal life out of the spotlight, for the first time ever, he is collaborating with an author on an "authorized" biography.
post #2 of 63
Awesome, even the biography has to be rumered and authorized by the CEO. Way to stay true to yourself. Those figurines are kind of awesome looking btw.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #3 of 63
Hahaha I love how ou can put the glasses on top of his head haha classic Steve Jobs demoing something where he does that.... They really aren't half bad looking though...
post #4 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier this week, he was named one of Time magazine's "People Who Mattered" in 2010, losing out to Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg for the title of "Person of the Year." Last week, MarketWatch granted Jobs the honor of "CEO of the Decade."

Stephen Colbert: Times Magazine Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Awesome, even the biography has to be rumered and authorized by the CEO. Way to stay true to yourself. Those figurines are kind of awesome looking btw.

Wow I was going to say the same thing. I'm an older fellow and not really into the whole action figure / figurine collecting thing, but this little guy is pretty cool. Wish I'd bought one of them when issued.

Although I do still have one of the Alien figures from about 21 years ago.
post #6 of 63
I bet Steve bought one
post #7 of 63
I want one! Come on Apple, these are pretty awesome. No one should be making money off someone else, so I say, Steve, Apple please make these.
post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I bet Steve bought one

Hell have it checked for DNA and fingerprints, then ruin the families of anyone associated with that figurine.
post #9 of 63
Pathetic.
post #10 of 63
Quote:
Though Jobs has fought to keep his personal life out of the spotlight, for the first time ever, he is collaborating with an author on an "authorized" biography.

Writing his Memoirs is typical for a departed leader, a leader who resigned or retired. For instance, George W. Bush has just published his Memoirs.

A friend of mine who invested in Apple assures me that Steve Jobs will be gone in 3 months or so... Writing his Memoirs is part of the sequence of events leading to the departure of Steve Jobs from Apple.

Apple is now in the best shape that it has ever been. What will Apple become without its founding CEO?

Thanks for a job done to the best of your abilities. You will be missed.

\\\
post #11 of 63
Money to burn.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Writing his Memoirs is typical for a departed leader, a leader who resigned or retired. For instance, George W. Bush has just published his Memoirs.

A friend of mine who invested in Apple assures me that Steve Jobs will be gone in 3 months or so... Writing his Memoirs is part of the sequence of events leading to the departure of Steve Jobs from Apple.

Apple is now in the best shape that it has ever been. What will Apple become without its founding CEO?

\\\

Noted!
post #13 of 63
Ahahaha! thats just proper weird.
post #14 of 63
Quote:

\\\

Taking a short position by any chance?
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Stephen Colbert: Times Magazine Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.

Quote:

Hell have it checked for DNA and fingerprints, then ruin the families of anyone associated with that figurine.

First quote, awesome. Second quote, lame. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today for that one, solipsism? I think the figurine is pretty awesome, but it was definitely violating the law. Would've liked to see an authorized version. The only way I could see them getting rights though is if it was one of a set: like "greatest CEOs of all time."
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

First quote, awesome. Second quote, lame. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed today for that one, solipsism? I think the figurine is pretty awesome, but it was definitely violating the law. Would've liked to see an authorized version. The only way I could see them getting rights though is if it was one of a set: like "greatest CEOs of all time."

I thought both were pretty funny. perhaps you don't have your sense of humor on yet
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #17 of 63
Everything old is new again. A couple years back there was a Steve Jobs bobblehead doll combined with an iPhone dock.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #18 of 63
Quote:

Stephen Colbert: “Times Magazine Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.”

Stephen Colbert keep believing the crap being sold to you, since Julian has shown how bloody stupid and simple minded politicians in their thoughts. He just shown how hypocritical the US/Western Governments is with China and double-standards in their own countries.
post #19 of 63
The dark side of genius...
But, really, why doesn't he just obtain the rights and market it???
The all-new iSteve!
Amazingly thinner!
Everything he's learned comes down to this!
The high-resolution retina-display is truly brilliant!
The new lithium-ion battery lets you dominate longer, the flash drive holds more Earth-shattering concepts, and a whole new meaning for "unibody construction"!
post #20 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you keep believing the crap being sold to you, since Julian has shown how bloody stupid and simple minded politicians in their thoughts. He just shown how hypocritical the US/Western Governments is with China and double-standards in their own countries.

Really guys? Really?!
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

The dark side of genius...
But, really, why doesn't he just obtain the rights and market it???
The all-new iSteve!
Amazingly thinner!
Everything he's learned comes down to this!
The high-resolution retina-display is truly brilliant!
The new lithium-ion battery lets you dominate longer, the flash drive holds more Earth-shattering concepts, and a whole new meaning for "unibody construction"!

All famous CEOs should have dolls made, but with internet access to the latest stock prices of their companies which then allow the head to shrink or swell along with their market valuations.
post #22 of 63
Quote:

Really guys? Really?!

Really? Like for really? Climb off your f'n tower.
post #23 of 63
Quote:

Umm, you might be thinking of ill Gates there.
post #24 of 63
Quote:

\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Either that or he and his imaginary friend have been spending too much time together.
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Within days, Apple learned of the figurine and sent a cease-and-desist email to the website, citing California Civil Code Section 3344, "which prohibits the use of any persons name, photograph or likeness in a product without that persons prior consent." ...

So, according to that California statute, Google Street View is clearly in violation. Sounds like a situation ripe for a class action.
post #26 of 63
OMG, I want now! For the original $80 price though.
post #27 of 63
Personally, I am going to wait for the Steve Balmer statue. But instead of the large head and small body, I am pretty sure the proportions will be the other way around.
post #28 of 63
Quote:

All famous CEOs should have dolls made, but with internet access to the latest stock prices of their companies which then allow the head to shrink or swell along with their market valuations.

Ballmer meets Beetlejuice.
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Personally, I am going to wait for the Steve Balmer statue. But instead of the large head and small body, I am pretty sure the proportions will be the other way around.

They could make a whole chessboard of Apple vs Windows characters. Tim Cook and Ballmer could be the queens, the other staff could be in there as well as the products, ipod vs zune, Windows vs Mac, iWork vs Office.

I think the figurine is ok but the likeness isn't good and it could have had a drawstring with catchphrases like 'oh and one more thing', 'boom', 'this is huge', 'Gil Amelio... you're fired' as well as a projectile QuickTake.
post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm thinking he's just trolling. First of all it is a rather lame attempt at starting a rumor. Secondly, it's Saturday. Who tries to start a rumor trying to move a stock on a Saturday.
post #31 of 63
Regardless of any strict definition of the law, I think Apple needs to get a sense of humor. I don't personally collect any kind of figurines, but that one looks extremely well done and is actually in good taste, although also very funny. And if Apple stops this, it's only going to substantially increase the value of the existing figurines, which will be sold "below the radar".

Like it or not, Steve is a public figure. And if you consider this figure to be "satire", then it's legal, even if it's made for commercial sales. Also, while this might be easy to control if a large toy company (like Mattel) put this out, it's not easy to control if individuals and small companies take it on. And if you can't control it (like people using smart phones to take photos/videos at concerts), then there's no point trying to stop it.

As for the poster who thinks that Steve is gone in three months, unless he's had a new major health problem that we don't know about, that is a ridiculous assertion. And just because your friend owns the stock doesn't mean he knows anything. I own the stock and I don't know anything.

Steve will not just one day quit Apple. Long before he leaves, he will become Chairman and turn the CEO job over to someone else. I think the sign will be if/when he resigns from the Disney Board, which I think he would do well before he leaves the CEO position at Apple.
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Stephen Colbert keep believing the crap being sold to you, since Julian has shown how bloody stupid and simple minded politicians in their thoughts. He just shown how hypocritical the US/Western Governments is with China and double-standards in their own countries.

You do know he interviewed him on his own show, right? You also know he is a satirist, and made fun of the "international man hunt" crap?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...nded-interview
post #33 of 63
Isn't this art? How can they block the sale of art?
post #34 of 63
Dammit! I guess this means my Steve Jobs’ Operation game isn’t going to fly either. It’s like the original Operation expect you only remove the liver.

(Now I’m just trying to piss people off) \
post #35 of 63
Quote:

A friend of mine who invested in Apple assures me that Steve Jobs will be gone in 3 months or so... Writing his Memoirs is part of the sequence of events leading to the departure of Steve Jobs from Apple....

This is pretty wildly speculative.

What would he do if he retired? All of his interests are with Apple. I don't see him retiring until they cart him out in a box.
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see him retiring until they cart him out in a box.

Twenty bucks says the base is a milled price of solid aluminium thats thinner than the average coffin.
post #37 of 63
The interesting thing about the figurine is that it actually weighs more than the real Steve Jobs.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #38 of 63
Quote:

Writing his Memoirs is typical for a departed leader, a leader who resigned or retired. For instance, George W. Bush has just published his Memoirs...
\\\

I heard there is still two pages he needs to finish coloring.
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

And they can put on a different head to make the rush Limbaughs doll. Instead of an iPhone in his hand, they could have a bottle of pills.
post #40 of 63
There is a Steve jobs Mii character on the Wii.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Controversial Steve Jobs figurine appears to sell for $2,500 on eBay