or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How do I remotely sign into one mac from my mac?

How do I remotely sign into one mac from my mac?

post #1 of 3
On windows there is a remote desktop feature that I use for work and it is pretty cool. I am wondering if there is a way to do that on the mac?

My parents are up there in the years and have 0 clue how to do almost anything on their computer. Everytime they call me out of their other 4 kids for help it feels like someone is hitting me in the head with a steel chair with every question that they give.

I like to be able to sign into their imac from my macbook pro.

Any recommendations would be very helpful thanks
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post

On windows there is a remote desktop feature that I use for work and it is pretty cool. I am wondering if there is a way to do that on the mac?

My parents are up there in the years and have 0 clue how to do almost anything on their computer. Everytime they call me out of their other 4 kids for help it feels like someone is hitting me in the head with a steel chair with every question that they give.

I like to be able to sign into their imac from my macbook pro.

Any recommendations would be very helpful thanks

You need (free-for-personal-use) Teamviewer, colombian. It's ideal. Works from your PC, Mac, iPad, Android tablet, iPhone, or Android phone, and can remotely manage/operate any Windows or Linux machine or Mac.

I've been using it for over a year now, because, like you, I am my mother's (82; 10 miles away), and my sister's (53; lives in the Caribbean) helpdesk/SysAdmin. And with Teamviewer I can instantly give them 'service' without having to jump into my car and drive 10 miles, or having to cross the ocean...

Just install the appropriate software on both your and their machine, start up both applications on both machines, get their (random) password, enter it, and you will see their desktop on your screen, and you can use your mouse/cursor on their desktop. They can see everything you do happening on their screen, which is great if you want to teach them to do something. There's an audio connection too.
Teamviewer creates a super secure unique 'VNC' channel between your and their machines. No risk of eaves dropping or such.
Teamviewer is also ideal to operate your own desktop machine at home remotely from your laptop, iPhone, or Android phone. So you've got the full power and storage of your desktop machine at your disposal wherever you are.

Have fun!
post #3 of 3
Back to My Mac with MobileMe is another option.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How do I remotely sign into one mac from my mac?