or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Demand for Apple's iPad helps online computer sales increase 25 percent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Demand for Apple's iPad helps online computer sales increase 25 percent

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Online sales of computer hardware increased 25 percent year over year in the first 47 days of the 2010 holiday shopping season, thanks in part to the popularity of Apple's iPad.

The iPad was singled out in a new report released Sunday from comScore. The research firm found that $27.46 billion has been spent online in the current holiday season, led by computer hardware as the top-growing category from 2009.

"Purchases of handheld devices (such as Apple iPads and e-readers) and laptop computers drove much of the growth," the report said.

Computer hardware grew 25 percent in 2010, outpacing consumer electronics, which grew 22 percent. Books and magazines saw 21 percent growth year over year, while computer software (excluding games) grew 16 percent.

Actual iPad sales for the holiday season likely won't be revealed until Apple reveals its quarterly earnings in January. The company sold 4.19 million iPads in its previous fiscal quarter, and expectations are even higher during the holiday quarter, as Apple has expanded retail availability of its touchscreen tablet.

comScore said that the increase in 2010 holiday sales was greatly aided by the promotional "Free Shipping Day" held by many online retailers. On that special event alone held Dec. 17, online sales were $942 million.



"Free Shipping Day punctuated an exceptional week in which consumers spent more than $5.5 billion online, representing a 14-percent increase from last year, said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.

"While no individual days during the week surpassed $1 billion in spending, we saw strength throughout the week beginning with Green Monday and ending with Free Shipping Day on Friday. At this late juncture in the online holiday season, we have likely already witnessed the peak spending day of the year, which means that Cyber Monday should emerge as the seasons heaviest online spending day for the first time in history."
post #2 of 40
I wonder where all those folks who dismissed iPad as '....it's just a big iPod Touch' are now.
post #3 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder where all those folks who dismissed iPad as '....it's just a big iPod Touch' are now.

Licking their wounds!
iMac i7
Reply
iMac i7
Reply
post #4 of 40
this cannot be true... didn't you hear that the iPad isn't a computer and cannot be counted as computer sells... because if it did, it would make Apple the number 1 Computer seller in the US and number 3 worldwide, so none of the companies that keep track of this stuff will count it as a computer... so why can they count it this way?
post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

this cannot be true... didn't you hear that the iPad isn't a computer and cannot be counted as computer sells... because if it did, it would make Apple the number 1 Computer seller in the US and number 3 worldwide, so none of the companies that keep track of this stuff will count it as a computer... so why can they count it this way?

Because Ballmer said it was a computer? =) (I know you're not being serious, but I'm about to be).

In all seriousness I think that may go down as one of the biggest CEO interview gaffes of the past year... he screwed up by publicly admitting the iPad is a PC in a very big way.
post #6 of 40
The problem is that isn't an insult at all. IPad has all the good qualities of the rest of the iOS devices plus a much larger screen. The problem as I see it is that people trying to insult iPad by calling it a Touch really have a very narrow view of what the Touch is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder where all those folks who dismissed iPad as '....it's just a big iPod Touch' are now.
post #7 of 40
THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.

you can use it to

- browse the web
- read and write emails
- build spreadsheets
- write papers
- print
- multitask
- play games
- buy and run apps
- edit photos
- draw
- build and run presentations
- keep notes and to do lists
- play music
- watch movies
- remotely manage servers

you can also attach a keyboard.

other than programming, which most people don't do, what does a PC do that you can't do on an iPad? And don't list things that would also mean a MacBook Air isn't a PC.
post #9 of 40
X-mas and holiday sales for the iPad are going to be absolutely huge. I feel it in my circuitry.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.

YOU ARE NOT AN IPAD USER !!!!!! It is just that simple.
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you can use it to

- browse the web
- read and write emails
- build spreadsheets
- write papers
- print
- multitask
- play games
- buy and run apps
- edit photos
- draw
- build and run presentations
- keep notes and to do lists
- play music
- watch movies
- remotely manage servers

you can also attach a keyboard.

other than programming, which most people don't do, what does a PC do that you can't do on an iPad? And don't list things that would also mean a MacBook Air isn't a PC.

And you share over 98% of your DNA with a chimp. Distinctions do matter.

Listing similarities doesn't make the iPad a "PC". That doesn't mean the iPad is inherently better or worse than a PC, just different.

I think as the world moves further toward mobile computing the "PC sales" charts will become irrelevant beyond looking at shipments of "PC components". One could even argue that we have already reached that point.
post #12 of 40
The iPad and Tablets in 2011 will be in the "Tablets" category and also in the "PC" category. To deny it is silly and futile.
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

this cannot be true... didn't you hear that the iPad isn't a computer and cannot be counted as computer sells... because if it did, it would make Apple the number 1 Computer seller in the US and number 3 worldwide, so none of the companies that keep track of this stuff will count it as a computer... so why can they count it this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

Because Ballmer said it was a computer? =) (I know you're not being serious, but I'm about to be).

In all seriousness I think that may go down as one of the biggest CEO interview gaffes of the past year... he screwed up by publicly admitting the iPad is a PC in a very big way.

Yup all the major manufacturers and tons of other companies are sh**scared to have iPad under PC because it would be major pwnage by Apple.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.

Didn't you listen the first time? Ballmer said it was a PC.

Sent from my iPad
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

And you share over 98% of your DNA with a chimp. Distinctions do matter.

Listing similarities doesn't make the iPad a "PC". That doesn't mean the iPad is inherently better or worse than a PC, just different.

I think as the world moves further toward mobile computing the "PC sales" charts will become irrelevant beyond looking at shipments of "PC components". One could even argue that we have already reached that point.

They count the computers inside ATMs and cash registers as PC's too for marketshare, would you qualify those as PC's? I certainly wouldn't, yet they do. To me the iPad is more of a PC than they are, as evidenced by my post on this forum.

Sent from my iPad
post #16 of 40
To me, it doesn't really matter. As an Apple shareholder, what matters most to me is that Apple continues to sell a ton of these things. I can be insulted all the way to the bank.
post #17 of 40
Ipads are to PC as PC is to trucks
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.

You should add, .'according to your own definition'. Otherwise you are making a totally ridiculous statement. Just for example, the list of reasons many give why the iPad doesn't qualify as a PC is is equally true of most if not all 'PCs' during the 1980's.

I think the problem is many think 'PC' and see a Dell or similar in their mind's eye, a beige or grey box. They forget the actual meaning which is a 'personal computer'.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

To me, it doesn't really matter. As an Apple shareholder, what matters most to me is that Apple continues to sell a ton of these things. I can be insulted all the way to the bank.

Good answer
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

They count the computers inside ATMs and cash registers as PC's too for marketshare, would you qualify those as PC's? I certainly wouldn't, yet they do. To me the iPad is more of a PC than they are, as evidenced by my post on this forum.

Sent from my iPad

I agree.

Sent from my ATM (kidding)
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.

BTW If an iPad isn't a 'personal computer' what the hell is it? A calculator, a note pad, a wrist watch, a book reader?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #22 of 40
As the computing industry evolves, it is only natural that our vocabulary will evolve as well.

And because everyone loves car analogies... consider this. The term "car" meant something entirely different before cars were invented. Same thing with "truck". The word truck is a good example. It shows the futility of trying to make everyone use a single definition for a word.

In some conversations we will find it useful to distinguish between tablets and desktops/laptops. In other conversations, it will be useful to lump all computers together.

Meanwhile, feel free to park your pick-up truck in the car parking lot rather than the truck parking lot.
post #23 of 40
Got to tired to read all the posts... but i can see that enough idiot(s) need a little 101.

Computer:
an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

personal computer:
a microcomputer designed for use by one person at a time,

microcomputer:
a small computer that contains a microprocessor as its central processor.

No matter how you dice it up... the iPad is a computer... its a PC!

btw - you can develop on it -- and if Apple had opened it up a bit -- you would be able to compile using gcc.
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

And you share over 98% of your DNA with a chimp. Distinctions do matter.

Listing similarities doesn't make the iPad a "PC". That doesn't mean the iPad is inherently better or worse than a PC, just different.

I think as the world moves further toward mobile computing the "PC sales" charts will become irrelevant beyond looking at shipments of "PC components". One could even argue that we have already reached that point.

PC = Personal Computer - a term that has certainly evolved over the years. Some would argue that the iPad is the most Personal Computer ever made. There were two primary groups of personal computers - desktop and laptop. Then netbook was added. Now add tablet to the list.

It's absurd to think that a new class of computers that is rapidly displacing netbooks in sales and functionality isn't also a personal computer. And it's also absurd to try to lump the iPad in with ATMs and Microwaves because all 3 have microprocessors and suggest it's not a personal computer because those aren't. You can't send your kid to school with a microwave and expect them to use it do their homework. You can send them to school with an iPad and expect it.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

Got to tired to read all the posts... but i can see that enough idiot(s) need a little 101.

Computer:
an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

personal computer:
a microcomputer designed for use by one person at a time,

microcomputer:
a small computer that contains a microprocessor as its central processor.

No matter how you dice it up... the iPad is a computer... its a PC!

btw - you can develop on it -- and if Apple had opened it up a bit -- you would be able to compile using gcc.

So your microwave is a computer and should be included in computer sales figures?

Hint: words have multiple definitions.
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

It's absurd to think that a new class of computers that is rapidly displacing netbooks in sales and functionality isn't also a personal computer.

Hint: Words have multiple definitions.

Depending on context, tablets may or may not be considered a PC.
post #27 of 40
todays ipod- touches have more computer power inside them than Apollo 13 space craft had .

So say what you will. Apple devices are selling like hot cakes at top selling price. Blackberry now offer's 2 for 1 . Used refurbed iphones sell for over $200.

Apple has sucked the life out of msft .

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntson View Post

THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple.

Hehe ... back in the day, prior to PCs, when we had all but lost "the debate" .... our "last resort" argument" was: "Yeah? ... well your mother wears army boots."

Thanks for "updating" it to: "THE iPAD IS NOT A PC !!!!!! It is just that simple." .... brilliant !! ...NOT!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you can use it to

- browse the web
- read and write emails
- build spreadsheets
- write papers
- print
- multitask
- play games
- buy and run apps
- edit photos
- draw
- build and run presentations
- keep notes and to do lists
- play music
- watch movies
- remotely manage servers

you can also attach a keyboard.

other than programming, which most people don't do, what does a PC do that you can't do on an iPad? And don't list things that would also mean a MacBook Air isn't a PC.

There's no point arguing with trolls like that. They insist that unless the system has a quad core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 6970 video card that it's not a real PC.

Just like the people who argue that a Mac Mini isn't a 'real' server because it doesn't have RAID 6, redundant power supplies, and ECC RAM.

Computers are defined by what they're used for - not what's inside. And when you look at usage, the iPad is very much a PC. It won't do EVERYTHING that you can do on a modern PC, but it certainly will do the vast majority - certainly enough to classify them together.

I stopped carrying my MacBook Pro for a while on short business trips, relying solely on my iPad. It was a perfectly useful substitute for the things I was doing. The same is true of a LOT of other people.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder where all those folks who dismissed iPad as '....it's just a big iPod Touch' are now.

They're off playing with their big Galaxy S.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #31 of 40
Side note, I tried out one of those Galaxy tabs this weekend.
Not a very good device. Would have been good a few years ago...
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

you can use it to

- browse the web
- read and write emails
- build spreadsheets
- write papers
- print
- multitask
- play games
- buy and run apps
- edit photos
- draw
- build and run presentations
- keep notes and to do lists
- play music
- watch movies
- remotely manage servers

you can also attach a keyboard.

other than programming, which most people don't do, what does a PC do that you can't do on an iPad? And don't list things that would also mean a MacBook Air isn't a PC.

What does a PC do that an IPad doesn't? It holds down the floor in my office very well.
In all seriousness though, perhaps it isn't a PC much like a touch isn't an Ipod and a Iphone isn't a phone. All of them have that functionality but they are much much more.
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

What does a PC do that an IPad doesnt?

Technically, a traditional PC can do a lot more than small touch-based device, the question is "what does the average user do with a traditional PC that they cant do with an iPad?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

this cannot be true... didn't you hear that the iPad isn't a computer and cannot be counted as computer sells... because if it did, it would make Apple the number 1 Computer seller in the US and number 3 worldwide, so none of the companies that keep track of this stuff will count it as a computer... so why can they count it this way?

Its true, look under the section "toys" and you see an increase.
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's no point arguing with trolls like that. They insist that unless the system has a quad core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 6970 video card that it's not a real PC.

Just like the people who argue that a Mac Mini isn't a 'real' server because it doesn't have RAID 6, redundant power supplies, and ECC RAM.

Computers are defined by what they're used for - not what's inside. And when you look at usage, the iPad is very much a PC. It won't do EVERYTHING that you can do on a modern PC, but it certainly will do the vast majority - certainly enough to classify them together.

I stopped carrying my MacBook Pro for a while on short business trips, relying solely on my iPad. It was a perfectly useful substitute for the things I was doing. The same is true of a LOT of other people.

I say it will do the "majority" not the vast majority and even then so many of its functions are limited when it comes to creation.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

And you share over 98% of your DNA with a chimp. Distinctions do matter.

Listing similarities doesn't make the iPad a "PC". That doesn't mean the iPad is inherently better or worse than a PC, just different.

I think as the world moves further toward mobile computing the "PC sales" charts will become irrelevant beyond looking at shipments of "PC components". One could even argue that we have already reached that point.

Listing even one trait that would disqualify it as a pc would have helped your argument a lot. In the case of the chimp it would be opposable thumbs.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder where all those folks who dismissed iPad as '....it's just a big iPod Touch' are now.

Still with us, now trying to deny that the iPad is a Personal Computer. These small thinkers are distracting us from the big picture -- namely that Apple has redefined the computer industry from something anchored to the desk or the briefcase or the lap, to somrthing you hold in your hands, that is always with you and always on (or instantly on). To miss the implications of this shift is to miss the outlines of the next big 'industrial' revolution. It doesn't even have a name yet, so it's no wonder the PC conservatives can't see it.

Gruber links to a Facebook usage visualization that essentially maps this noetic revolution (there, I named it) happening right in front of us.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...14158417_n.jpg
post #38 of 40
[QUOTE=dfiler;1771012]So your microwave is a computer and should be included in computer sales figures?

I would also consider those "programable" water systems... (think "lawn care") computers. They are labeled as a computer... they store information... have a microprocessor... but they are not personal computers.

Now.. what I think would be the more relevant and interesting question to ask everyone.. is this.

"What makes the iPad not a computer?"
post #39 of 40
[QUOTE=iPilya;1771294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

So your microwave is a computer and should be included in computer sales figures?

I would also consider those "programable" water systems... (think "lawn care") computers. They are labeled as a computer... they store information... have a microprocessor... but they are not personal computers.

Now.. what I think would be the more relevant and interesting question to ask everyone.. is this.

"What makes the iPad not a computer?"

I cant delete content, unless I plug it into a computer.

99% of computer peripherals cant be used with the iPad, because it does not have common computer ports (USB) and they just wont work if you try to use the Camera adapter.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post

They count the computers inside ATMs and cash registers as PC's too for marketshare, would you qualify those as PC's? I certainly wouldn't, yet they do. To me the iPad is more of a PC than they are, as evidenced by my post on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

PC = Personal Computer - a term that has certainly evolved over the years. Some would argue that the iPad is the most Personal Computer ever made. There were two primary groups of personal computers - desktop and laptop. Then netbook was added. Now add tablet to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

Listing even one trait that would disqualify it as a pc would have helped your argument a lot. In the case of the chimp it would be opposable thumbs.


It's not a case of functionality but one of terminology. The English language is peppered with words that have had their meaning evolve over the years. This is just another case.

It's like if Apple released a personal teleporter. It may provide the same function as a car, many people would see it as being better than a car, and there may be a desire to include it in the "car sales" charts. Especially if the haters started saying "you bought one of those. It's not even a car you know?!?"

However all those things put together wouldn't make it a car. It would still be a distinctly different and new device.

We might even find as other companies start releasing their own teleporters and people start to shift away from using cars that the "car sales" chart is no longer relevant, and we need a new chart that includes something like "devices that move us from point A to B".

Same thing goes for iPad. It's not a PC. It's something new. As people move toward mobile devices the "PC sales" chart is less relevant and the "devices we use to access the WWW" chart become more important.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Demand for Apple's iPad helps online computer sales increase 25 percent
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Demand for Apple's iPad helps online computer sales increase 25 percent