or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'

Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'

post #1 of 134
Motorola on Monday released a teaser video to hype its own tablet, set to be unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show, and also put down Apple's iPad, calling it a "giant iPhone."

The animated video is a tour of a virtual museum of tablets, starting jokingly with objects like the Ten Commandments and the Rosetta Stone. It then showed the GRiDPad launched in 1989 with a 20MB hard drive.

The promotional video, dubbed "Tablet Evolution," then show's Apple's iPad. "It's like a giant iPhone," the video reads. "But... it's like a giant iPhone."

The video also puts down Samsung's Galaxy Tab, regarded as the first legitimate competitor to the iPad. Motorola's video puts down the Galaxy tab for running "Android OS... for a phone."

The final object in the "museum" is concealed, sitting atop a stand with a Motorola logo. A bee flies on to the screen, hinting at the codename for the next version of the Android mobile operating system, before teasing that the product will be unveiled at CES 2011.

"From ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic tablets to the modern tablet, we're buzzing with excitement to be the next chapter in tablet evolution," the video's official description reads.

The device is likely based on the Motorola tablet demoed by Google's Andy Rubin at a conference earlier this month. That prototype device was running Android 3.0 "Honeycomb," and had a dual-core 3D processor, Nvidia graphics, and video chat functionality.

Rubin said that Honeycomb will be built to support tablets as well as phones. Samsung's Galaxy Tab runs a previous version of the Android operating system, which is not designed for larger screens.

Motorola's history of tablet computing omits any mention of Apple's 1994 Newton MessagePad and the wireless Motorola Marco that licensed Apple's Newton OS in 1995.

It also omits Motorola's acquisition of Symbol Technologies in 2007, which gave the company a wide variety of devices running the now obsolete Palm OS and Windows Mobile.

Until recently, Apple used Motorola's Symbol PDA devices in its retail stores, before it switched to using its own iOS-based EasyPay mobile terminals based on the iPod touch, something a number of retailers are also investigating.
post #2 of 134
Projecting their own shortcomings onto the competition once again.
post #3 of 134
Pretty amusing. They conveniently ignore that iOS is optimized fort he iPad to provide a unique but familiar tablet experience but embrace that Google is attempting to do the exact same thing (not that Google will do it anywhere near as well right out the gate). How many people eat this stuff up?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #4 of 134
Calling something a giant iPhone... not really an insult.
post #5 of 134
Bees sting once and die.
post #6 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

HONEYCOMB HONEYCOMB ME WANT HONEYCOMB! </cheesy 1980s kids tv ad referance>

I am excited to see such competition, this is what drives innovation and forces leaders like apple to innovate because they want to stay ahead....lest they repeat the mistakes opf the mac 1985-1999, letting it fall from the gold standard to a laughing stock when OS 8 was compared to NT4
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #7 of 134
So, iPad is a "giant iPhone." Well, Motorola's tablet is a "giant Turd."

Let's see them try to sell *that*.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #8 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Bees sting once and die.

thats what she said
post #9 of 134
Quote:

Seriously. That "insult" flies out the window the second you touch an iPad and realize how awesome a giant iPhone is.
post #10 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So, iPad is a "giant iPhone." Well, Motorola's tablet is a "giant Turd."

Let's see them try to sell *that*.

hey, this is a family blog, call the moto tablet what it is, a giant "Rokr"
post #11 of 134
Compared to an iPhone? The iPad can't make phone calls in the usual way.
Also what should the iPad look like physically, if not like an iPhone?
Should it perhaps have a mouse and keyboard? Hang on that's a laptop.
Anyway to be associated with the iPhone is the ultimate compliment.
post #12 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Pretty amusing. They conveniently ignore that iOS is optimized fort he iPad to provide a unique but familiar tablet experience but embrace that Google is attempting to do the exact same thing (not that Google will do it anywhere near as well right out the gate). How many people eat this stuff up?

It is pretty ironic and/or pathetic.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 134
Quote:

This was my first thought. I really like my iPhone and frankly it is what has me interested in an iPad. I still get a bit frustrated at the lack of support for some media files on the net but that is slowly being addressed by things like VLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I am excited to see such competition, this is what drives innovation and forces leaders like apple to innovate because they want to stay ahead....lest they repeat the mistakes opf the mac 1985-1999, letting it fall from the gold standard to a laughing stock when OS 8 was compared to NT4

This could be a very real problem as Apple does have a history here of stagnating at just the wrong time. Besides I don't see real competition coming from Android as the platform is a mess. What Apple has to look out for is RIM and Playbook as I see that platform as having great potential if they can mature it fast enough.

In any event I've made the decision to not purchase a tablet until iPad 2 and some of the competition hits the market place. At that point it will be the unit offering the best feature set at the lowest price. IPad 2 will most likely lead the pack but as noted above Apple does have a history of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time in such a way that it drives off customers.
post #14 of 134
Considering the iPhone is the reason the iPad is so successful, I would say that's kind of stupid marketing. Oh, and the iPad isn't a phone.
post #15 of 134
Quote:

Especially since their version is likely to be an exact knock off of an iPad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 134
It'll be fun to see them fall short and explain away their lack of sales. Oh, yeah.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This was my first thought. I really like my iPhone and frankly it is what has me interested in an iPad. I still get a bit frustrated at the lack of support for some media files on the net but that is slowly being addressed by things like VLC.

In any event I've made the decision to not purchase a tablet until iPad 2 and some of the competition hits the market place. At that point it will be the unit offering the best feature set at the lowest price. IPad 2 will most likely lead the pack but as noted above Apple does have a history of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time in such a way that it drives off customers.

They didn't have Steve Jobs at the helm when they did OS 8. They had Gil Amelio. And anyway, the Apple in 1995 was way different than the Apple in 2010. I doubt that they'll mess up at all. Just try not to buy it when the herds of customers come up and start having waiting lists for the iPad 2
post #18 of 134
iPad2 will cause widespread colony collapse disorder.
post #19 of 134
Poor Ballmer & co...
post #20 of 134
Although interesting to see their version of evolution depicting ancient tablets, they neglected to mention Windows tablets, or the Newton which were both significant technology milestones that proceeded the iPad and Galaxy.

post #21 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I've heard that tired narration before. ZZZZZZ!
Apple has sold something like 10 million ipads.
Moto is about to drop a tablet into the market where literally scores of competitors will put out a honeycomb powered tablet. AND CHEAP!!!!!!!!
Moto's tablet will get marginalized so bad by all the sh** coming from Asian suppliers they will haul a** out the tablet market real quick and count their lucky stars that they still make money selling ink for their shi**y printers.
post #22 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Oh, and the iPad isn't a phone.

Neither is the iPhone 4, but that didn't stop anyone. Ba-zing!
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #23 of 134
I'm sorry but that was a really, really bad commercial. As a consumer I was not impressed. And the bee completely lost me. It makes no sense at all to the average consumer. I was thinking, "Where'd THAT come from?"
post #24 of 134
Quote:
That prototype device was running Android 3.0 "Honeycomb," and had a dual-core 3D processor, Nvidia graphics, and video chat functionality.

Apple needs to step up their processor game too. A dual core iPad shipping with a new version of iOS that has Grand Central Dispatch would be a wonderful thing.
post #25 of 134
If you think about the fact that the iPhone 4 is the fastest selling smartphone in the world, and that the iPad OS was redesigned from the ground up as a tablet OS, that makes what Motorola is saying a compliment to the iPad without meaning to. The iPhone 4 has outsold the Droid by leaps and bounds and the iPhone 4 has the highest customer satisfaction rating. Motorola is left to pointing fingers at their competitors in their commercials just like they did with the Droid. Not very classy and it turned a lot of people off the last time. They need to do what Apple does in their commercials and show off what it can actually do. But then not everyone can be Apple.
post #26 of 134
Of all the commercials Motorola has put together this is perhaps the best one I have seen.

Having said that even if the tablet that Motorola comes out with is great it will not be enough.

With 10M tablets and hundreds of apps already in play, Apple has the first mover advantage. Apple's share may fall because of Android tablets but it will be too little to matter.

The only thing that will make a difference is price - if Google can subsidize the tablet to be under $100 they maybe able to sell enough of them to make a difference.

All in all the future of Moto's tablet is bleak at the best.
post #27 of 134
Motorola's logo looks like it belongs on a Batmoblie.
Cubist
Cubist
post #28 of 134
I want a Harley Davidson...but it's just a giant BMX...

The iPhone has but two significant, non-software limitations...the power of its hardware compared to a desktop/laptop (I grew up happy with my Sinclair Spectrum 48k and Amiga 500+, I certainly don't take the iPhone for granted!) and the inherent size of it's screen...something that will never change unless our pockets get a lot bigger at some point...the iPad takes away the second limitation and time will erase the first.

Touch screen, on your lap computing works. Calling the iPad a giant iPhone as if that's a BAD thing is just absurd. They're designed to do the same things, just one more pleasantly than the other with added benefits inherent to a larger screen. Why make them different? How would you make them different?

The Galaxy Tab is just a large Galaxy S...the Motorolla Alsoran is just a large Motorolla Droid...

...my MacBook Pro is just a small iMac...nobody calls it pointless!!! I don't see the IPad as a large iPhone, I see the iPhone as a small iPad and if the iPad had come first, I don't think anyone would be saying that like it was a criticism.

Personally, I think the Playbook has the best shot at taking on iPad. The only chance the rest of the pack have is if Google do an unexpectedly good job with Honeycomb...yeah, I'm thinking what you're thinking...but you never know!! That said, I think this is just Apple's halcyon day, I can't see anyone touching them on any front for a little while and it's entirely their own, unimaginative, uninspired, 'safe' fault.
post #29 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriousSecret View Post

Apple needs to step up their processor game too. A dual core iPad shipping with a new version of iOS that has Grand Central Dispatch would be a wonderful thing.

'Dual-core' sounds nice, but does a tablet really need it yet? As long as the iPad2 is faster and competes with the competition (there's a bad sentence right there!), I don't think it matters how it achieves it.
post #30 of 134
"The bees know!"
post #31 of 134
No, HERE is a "giant iPhone"
post #32 of 134
Better a giant iPhone than a giant turd! Besides, what's wrong with a giant iPhone? Sounds kinda cool!
post #33 of 134
I thought it was a very creative Ad. Whether their tablet will be as good waits to be seen. In any case they don't look as stupid as msft and their iphone funeral.
post #34 of 134
The funny thing is that Apple is often accused of being just 'marketing', but if you really look at the situation, it is often the other way around. Motorola put in very heavy advertising for the original Droid. Microsoft spends enormous amounts on advertising WP7 it seems, etc. Here locally, Samsung heavily advertises Galaxy phones and Blackberry is advertised a lot. But not Apple.

I am curious if we are going to see a 2010-repeat. A lot of pre-emptive noise at CES (remember the Win 7 tablets last year with Ballmer on stage?) and then a few weeks later Apple with iPad2 and my personal suggestion: videoconferencing on your TV via ATV2 and AirPlay from your iPhone.

And, however well made, the ad did remind me of that movie of Microsoft employees "burying the competition of WP7" last year. There is a Dutch saying that translated says: You should not sell the hide before you have shot the bear. This kind of advertising without there being an actual product works less and less. It only points out that there is no product (yet).
post #35 of 134
Quote:

The left out a word:- "...a giant, SUCCESSFUL iPhone."
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #36 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

And, however well made, the ad did remind me of that movie of Microsoft employees "burying the competition of WP7" last year. There is a Dutch saying that translated says: You should not sell the hide before you have shot the bear. This kind of advertising without there being an actual product works less and less. It only points out that there is no product (yet).

Good points but hype/anticipation-building ads are a staple of the industry. Don't forget the Apple 1984 ad, widely held up as one of the best there's ever been (rightly or wrongly). It was an ad for an unreleased product.
post #37 of 134
Motorola bought BeOS?
post #38 of 134
Well...

The FACT is all current Apple iDevices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) do run identical version of iOS, the same processors, etc., so there are certainly more similarities than many care to admit.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6...ipadosproo.jpg
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #39 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This could be a very real problem as Apple does have a history here of stagnating at just the wrong time. Besides I don't see real competition coming from Android as the platform is a mess.

Windows was like that at one point, 3.1, 3.11 for workgroups, NT3, and then the OEMs custom oddities on the top...but then they got their game together, with win95/winnt4 and that changed everything. There will, in the next year or two be a moment of awakening like that for android, mark my words.
post #40 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Motorola bought BeOS?

Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Motorola hypes its tablet by calling Apple's iPad a 'giant iPhone'