or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sales of new Apple TV to exceed 1 million this week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sales of new Apple TV to exceed 1 million this week

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday announced it expects sales of its new streaming-centric Apple TV to top one million units later this week, before Christmas and within three months of the device's launch.

The news shows that sales of the Apple TV, famously referred to as Apple's "hobby," have not slowed since the device was released in late September. Apple revealed in October that the set top box had sold more than 250,000 in its first six weeks of availability.

Strong demand for the Apple TV at launch led some to predict that the device would sell 1 million per quarter, thanks in part to its aggressive $99 price.

Apple also offered tighter integration with the iOS ecosystem when it updated the Apple TV in November, adding support for AirPlay. With AirPlay, users can instantly stream some videos from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to their TV set.

The new Apple TV also represented a shift for the company, as it pushed studios to allow 99 cent rentals of TV shows, rather than costlier permanent purchases. But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

The newly updated Apple TV also managed to make Time magazine's list of the top 10 gadgets of 2010, coming in at No. 7. The iPad was the top gadget, while the new MacBook Air took fourth, and the iPhone 4 was sixth.
post #2 of 66
Gathering momentum! I certainly enjoy mine and I have retired the Mk 1 to the spare room as an alternate audio only destination for iTunes.

Is this product being advertised much or is this word of mouth? I can't recall a TV ad.

BTW Apple perhaps should stop hiding ATV under 'iPod' on their web site!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Gathering momentum! I certainly enjoy mine and I have retired the Mk 1 to the spare room as an alternate audio only destination for iTunes.

Is this product being advertised much or is this word of mouth? I can't recall a TV ad.

BTW Apple perhaps should stop hiding ATV under 'iPod' on their web site!

I will most likely get one as soon as our local iTunes-store starts distributing Films with subtitles and original soundtrack.
post #4 of 66
It's good news. I normally don't buy things like this (preferring "serious" computing devices), but I got an ATV2 because it was so cheap, and had the potential to replace the spaghetti of cables and optical drive readers under my TV. And am quite impressed with it.

I wish I had one of the newer houses wired with ethernet though, because wireless is fine, but not snappy like wired, and don't really want a cable taped around the wall.
post #5 of 66
Any news on a hack for 1080p out? If it's taking it in and downconverting it, it should be easier to just make it fly straight through.
post #6 of 66
Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Is this product being advertised much or is this word of mouth? I can't recall a TV ad.

I haven't seen any advertising and I suspect there isn't any--they are clearly not ready to make this product a full member of the Apple family (hence the oft repeated "hobby" monicker). My guess is they don't want a full push until they have more content options that they can count on--look at the bad pr Google is getting right now with their half baked product...
Quote:
BTW Apple perhaps should stop hiding ATV under 'iPod' on their web site!

That might be a good intermediate step.
Step one: introduce it as a hobby and let the motivated users try it out. Work out the kinks and find a niche.
Step two: stop hiding it and gather more content partners.
Step three: announce it as yet another leg on the Apple table--advertise it and make it a "must have."
Step four: sell tens of millions a year...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.

iServe
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

iServe

Now wouldn't that be a punch in the face to the XServe crowd?
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good news. I normally don't buy things like this (preferring "serious" computing devices), but I got an ATV2 because it was so cheap, and had the potential to replace the spaghetti of cables and optical drive readers under my TV. And am quite impressed with it.

All of these positive reports should strengthen sales. I know they have changed my opinion a bit.
Quote:
I wish I had one of the newer houses wired with ethernet though, because wireless is fine, but not snappy like wired, and don't really want a cable taped around the wall.

This however I don't understand. Yes wired Ethernet is much smarter for a device like this. In fact I have to wonder about people that run wiFi to any sort of media server. What I have trouble with though is the idea that you think you are stuck with what you have in your house. Wiring the house up for Ethernet is very possible even as a DIY project. That is assuming you live in a place where you still have the freedom to do such DIY projects. At worst you have to invest in a few tools and a bunch of wire. Well that and an Ethernet switch.

On the otherhand if you are not DIY inclined you can always hire a contractor. The point is your house is not a static environment and can change to suit your needs over time. In the near future you might want to run optical cable and really shouldn't be sadden by the current state of your house.
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.

What stops you from taking any Mac (preferably though a Mac mini, can be a very old model as well) attach enough storage, and presto you have your server. Or put a 3 TB drive into a TC.
post #12 of 66
I'm surprised that it's not selling much better, actually. I am convinced that digital delivery is the way to go...it works so flawlessly with our Apple TV, and the video quality exceeds that of Cable HD.

Funny, my wife dropped some more Christmas presents under the tree last night and one of them looks suspiciously like a DVD. That started me thinking, I don't think we've purchased a DVD in two years. We still don't have a Blu-ray player, we just either watch what's on cable or we buy/rent shows on iTunes. I never want to buy another physical DVD again.
post #13 of 66
Apple TV = Success


Google TV = FLOP
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

On the otherhand if you are not DIY inclined you can always hire a contractor. The point is your house is not a static environment and can change to suit your needs over time. In the near future you might want to run optical cable and really shouldn't be sadden by the current state of your house.

That might be the way to go. I am not comfortable running cables around the walls, afraid I will electrocute myself, or lay something wrong such that it starts a fire in future.
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.

I was at the Apple store just the other day buying a power supple for my MBP. Of course I had to window shop a bit and one thing I'm looking for is a decent storage / server system primarily for media. Sadly they really don't have anything tailored for a modern home installation. By modern I mean no noisy solutions or giant rack mount solutions.

I'm not against rack mount solutions I just think a rack mount computer that is 20" to 30" deep is a bit of a joke. I'm not even sure such devices make sense even in a commercial setting anymore. All of that aside a rack mount server these days should't bee much deeper than an Ethernet switch. Such a server would save a lot of space in the home setting.

Now given that even a small rack mount device would likely rub people the wrong way Apple has nothing for the desktop either. Mini server is pretty cool but is far to limited to be a media server. Such a server needs to grow with the user. A mini with a LightPeak connection to a storage array might be better but you more or less end up paying for two computing platforms then instead of one.

Apple does need to get on the ball here. This really isn't rocket science any more. All they really need to do is to throw some fertilizer on the Mini so it can grow a little taller and accept three to four low profile storage devices. Accept in a highly user servicable way.
post #16 of 66
I'd like to see ATV2 focus on movie rentals (I have one). They should be at release parity with Blockbuster and Netflix (and I mean mail-ables, not just streaming). Replacing cable providers is a ways off, replacing Blockbuster is a matter of time. Make it a must have for movie buffs. Where is Zombieland? Where's Jurassic Park? Where's Saving Private Ryan?

And allow for an external hard drive on the USB port, and integrate it for purchases and your own stuff.

And visualizations during music.

And better podcasts / freebies.
post #17 of 66
250,000 in the first six weeks
750,000 in the next eight weeks

Nice, but probably the holidays talking. I'm curious about the January numbers.
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.

Apple is unlikely to create such a beast because only a small minority is really screaming or it. For most, streaming off your home computer is fine. they dont need a separate server etc.

The only thing on your list that could be useful to all is a cloud server and off site streaming of owned media, particularly music. Without having to do the wholel iDisk thing. Which could happen, if the labels don't block it


Quote:
Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Where is Zombieland? Where's Jurassic Park? Where's Saving Private Ryan?

Ask the studios

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That might be the way to go. I am not comfortable running cables around the walls, afraid I will electrocute myself, or lay something wrong such that it starts a fire in future.

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good news. I normally don't buy things like this (preferring "serious" computing devices), but I got an ATV2 because it was so cheap, and had the potential to replace the spaghetti of cables and optical drive readers under my TV. And am quite impressed with it.

I wish I had one of the newer houses wired with ethernet though, because wireless is fine, but not snappy like wired, and don't really want a cable taped around the wall.

I got tired of the unreliable WiFi and I got my existing housed wired with Cat6 Gigabit Ethernet... home office, living rooms, bedrooms. Cost about $1,000 including labor, cable and connectors. Ran everything inside the walls to the attic. The electrician used a "fishing tape".

Anyway, it does make a big difference. All the computers are hardwired, plus the Time Machine... so I got 2 hot spots for WiFi. Back-ups, networking runs quite good. I got the ATV hardwired too. They should have made the ATV with 1080p.

Again, for me it was worth the cost of hardwiring.
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That might be the way to go. I am not comfortable running cables around the walls, afraid I will electrocute myself, or lay something wrong such that it starts a fire in future.

While I can understand your desire to keep your house safe this is not the same class of wiring that is AC power. While I haven't looked for one there ought to be a DIY manual out there for Ethernet wiring of a home.

Your preference seems to be hiring a contractor though. To that end find one with experience installing Ethernet wiring. This is an issue because doing a quality job pays off in the long run.

A third option, that is far more time consuming, is to sign up for a local night school class to learn AC residential wiring. That may sound like an extreme solution but it could pay off in the long run if it is a well run course. Why AC residential wiring? To keep yourself safe because that is where the danger is. Plus much of the mechanical/physical work is the same. It is up to you to decide if you have the interest and desire to go this route.
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post

250,000 in the first six weeks
750,000 in the next eight weeks

Nice, but probably the holidays talking. I'm curious about the January numbers.

I suppose sales could keep going, if the people who pick one up this month like them enough to tell others about them.

The fact that Apple is even releasing numbers is positive. I don't think I ever saw numbers on the ATV v1. And as Jobs has said "sell a lot of something, you want to tell everybody."
post #23 of 66
Got four already. Buying four more for presents. Amazon is sold out.
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Anyway, it does make a big difference. All the computers are hardwired, plus the Time Machine... so I got 2 hot spots for WiFi. Back-ups, networking runs quite good. I got the ATV hardwired too. They should have made the ATV with 1080p.

Nice setup. Yes, $1000 would be worth it for me too, I spend enough time on the computer to justify it.
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A third option, that is far more time consuming, is to sign up for a local night school class to learn AC residential wiring. That may sound like an extreme solution but it could pay off in the long run if it is a well run course. Why AC residential wiring? To keep yourself safe because that is where the danger is. Plus much of the mechanical/physical work is the same. It is up to you to decide if you have the interest and desire to go this route.

That could be a fun holiday project I suppose, take a night class and then wire the house!
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All of these positive reports should strengthen sales. I know they have changed my opinion a bit.


This however I don't understand. Yes wired Ethernet is much smarter for a device like this. In fact I have to wonder about people that run wiFi to any sort of media server. What I have trouble with though is the idea that you think you are stuck with what you have in your house. Wiring the house up for Ethernet is very possible even as a DIY project. That is assuming you live in a place where you still have the freedom to do such DIY projects. At worst you have to invest in a few tools and a bunch of wire. Well that and an Ethernet switch.

On the otherhand if you are not DIY inclined you can always hire a contractor. The point is your house is not a static environment and can change to suit your needs over time. In the near future you might want to run optical cable and really shouldn't be sadden by the current state of your house.

Here's a thought - running cable especially if you have a 2 storey house can be a real pain. Here are a couple of options -

At my downstairs TV, we have 3 devices requiring ethernet : PS3, TiVO series 3, ATV2. When connecting wireless, the connection could be spotty.

Ended up using a Airport Express to extend the network wirelessly. Base station is a Time Capsule. Ethernet cable from AE goes to a 5 port switch, and the 3 devices connect to the switch. Works really well.

Another solution is to use PowerLine adapters. Basically one side is connected to your router or switch, and ethernet signals go through the house A/C wiring to the other side which you could go to your ATV or a switch. I have not personally tried out PowerLine myself, but a friend of mine who has one swears by it.
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple is unlikely to create such a beast because only a small minority is really screaming or it. For most, streaming off your home computer is fine. they dont need a separate server etc.

The problem is Apple doesn't have a home computer suitable for this. The issue is storage and easy access to what storage the machines do have. We could all buy Mac Pros but that is far to expensive for this need.

We are talking TB of storage here. For many a desktop would be fine if it offered up reasonable serviceability.
Quote:
The only thing on your list that could be useful to all is a cloud server and off site streaming of owned media, particularly music.

Boy have you got that reversed. Streaming will never be useful to all. At least not in my lifetime as to many people simply don't have the bandwidth available to them or are not willing to pay the costs. Make no mistake here maintaining a network connection and a streaming service is extremely expensive.
Quote:
Without having to do the wholel iDisk thing. Which could happen, if the labels don't block it

Let's hope the labels do block it! Seriously. Why; because the whole idea of streaming media, both music and video, is pretty stupid. The required bandwidth is massive and frankly a good portion of the country would never be able to take part. The bandwidth problem gets dramatically worst if you have any sort of RF networking involved.

Look at it this way, what would happen if every car on the freeway had it's own 3/4G channel open streaming music and data to the car. On an open freeway no problem on a congested freeway during rush hour it might get pretty bad. Hell any big convention can bring kcal cell and WiFi services to their knees.
Quote:

Clearly I see the move to streaming to be one of the most foolish ideas to come along in a long time. All it really is is a way for media companies to set a hook into you and extract monthly fees via long contracts. You believe streaming is in your best interest to which I have to say that is a sign of gullibility. Corporations like Apple are interested simoly because they see it as a way to even more profits.

Ask the studios
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now all we need is an iOS iTunes / Home Server / Cloud Server / Time Machine.

Defintely agree with that- an iTunes Server. I have mine on an external drive now but find the flashing G Drive lights are making me bonkers everytime I play something
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

What stops you from taking any Mac (preferably though a Mac mini, can be a very old model as well) attach enough storage, and presto you have your server. Or put a 3 TB drive into a TC.

Mac minis are expensive but that would work.
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post

250,000 in the first six weeks
750,000 in the next eight weeks

Nice, but probably the holidays talking. I'm curious about the January numbers.

I think the number was 250k in the first TWO weeks.

The holidays surely have something to do with it, but remember that the AppleTV was around the 2007 holidays so there the HW change, SW change and price drop are surely acting upon its surge in sales.

Some SW updates, an SDK and some adverts would keep the momentum going nicely. If they time a future AppleTV with 1080p content from the iTS or Netflix you have added incentive for people to drop another $99 (or more) for another AppleTV.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stompy View Post

The fact that Apple is even releasing numbers is positive. I don't think I ever saw numbers on the ATV v1. And as Jobs has said "sell a lot of something, you want to tell everybody."

They made some silly marketing comments about sales be x-many times higher than a previous period, but I cant recall any solid numbers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Here's a thought - running cable especially if you have a 2 storey house can be a real pain. Here are a couple of options -

Yeah there are a lot of variabilities here. A log cabin could be very difficult. Understanding how things are done though can help you decide on viability or time/difficulty trade offs.
Quote:
At my downstairs TV, we have 3 devices requiring ethernet : PS3, TiVO series 3, ATV2. When connecting wireless, the connection could be spotty.

That isn't surprising.
Quote:
Ended up using a Airport Express to extend the network wirelessly. Base station is a Time Capsule. Ethernet cable from AE goes to a 5 port switch, and the 3 devices connect to the switch. Works really well.

This is a very reasonable approach. That is using wireless to extend a network into areas where it is hard to get wiring to.
Quote:
Another solution is to use PowerLine adapters. Basically one side is connected to your router or switch, and ethernet signals go through the house A/C wiring to the other side which you could go to your ATV or a switch. I have not personally tried out PowerLine myself, but a friend of mine who has one swears by it.

Im not a big fan of power line adapters. You are basically imposing noise on the line.

In any event I hope people didn't mis understand me. I'm not against WiFi in the home. Rather wired Ethernet is a better solution for hooking up devices that are more or less stationary. It is more reliable and significantly reduces WiFi congestion. Plus it is faster which is always nice.
post #32 of 66
We have completed our migration from satellite TV to streaming. While we still have a satellite subscription, we have not watched a TV channel for over one month. I will now cancel my satellite account. Thanks Apple! Between Netflix and our ability to access iTunes in the U.S., U.K. and Canada we have all of the viewing that we want. During this holiday, I will set up streaming from my computer to the TV - end of!
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.

True but still a major undertaking. No one wants to see a bunch of cable tacked to the baseboards and over doorways or drill holes through walls. My house is a ranch style with an attic throughout. I did run ethernet to every room except the bath rooms. Even so, drilling down through the walls with a six foot long flexible bit, you stand a chance of hitting an electrical cable as well as when cutting holes in the drywall for the outlet could knick a power cable too, if you are not super careful.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

We have completed our migration from satellite TV to streaming. While we still have a satellite subscription, we have not watched a TV channel for over one month. I will now cancel my satellite account. Thanks Apple! Between Netflix and our ability to access iTunes in the U.S., U.K. and Canada we have all of the viewing that we want. During this holiday, I will set up streaming from my computer to the TV - end of!

You don't watch any sports then?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 66
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.

if your house catches on fire then the plastic in the cables will turn into toxic fumes
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

if your house catches on fire then the plastic in the cables will turn into toxic fumes


I think that would be the least of your worries at that point.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #38 of 66
Nice item still needs work:
1080p would be nice as 720p is O;K. but not great.
Also needs to work better on a PC as not everyone is running a Mac.

Definitely worth the $99
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

There is no power in ethernet cables...none. It's about as dangerous to run a fishing line through your house.

Be definition there is power in an Ethernet cable otherwise it couldn't transmit info. That power is extremely small though and not normally a hazard. However not normally does not mean never as Ethernet ports are designed to with stand significant voltages on the lines. This however is very seldom an issue in a home setting.

In any event the big issue in a home setting isn't Ethernet itself but rather accidental contact with live AC circuits during installation. The common errors in old work are drilling into a hot cable or driving a nail into a hot cable. So while Ethernet cabling is mostly hazard free one should be fully aware of the issues with AC wiring before engaging in a major Ethernet installation.

One of the reasons I suggested a course in residential wiring is that you learn the basics of safe practices and what some of the potential hazards are. Beyound that knowing the tricks and techniques to do the physical work can be very useful. Especially if you have never done such work before. Installing junction boxes and fishing wires through old work might sound easy if you have done it before but if you haven't it can be perplexing.

I also failed to point out that a DIY approach requires a certain desire or willingness to invest in tools. Some will see the expense hear as a sign that hiring a contractor is the smart thing to do. On the otherhand many see tools as long term investments.
post #40 of 66
This is very embarrassing for Google/Sony/Logitech. what a bunch of losers.

Google TV is a JOKE!


i love my Apple TV!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sales of new Apple TV to exceed 1 million this week