or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Hard drive question, new to Mac

Hard drive question, new to Mac

post #1 of 7
I recently bought a MacBook Pro, and am loving it. The one question I have is this - I want to buy a portable hard drive that I can use to transfer files back and forth from my MacBook to my PC. I want to be able to go in either direction, so it would need to read and write on both formats. Is there a drive that does this? What am I looking fro exactly?
post #2 of 7
You're looking for every drive ever made. Just format it FAT32. OS X and Windows can read/write that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're looking for every drive ever made. Just format it FAT32. OS X and Windows can read/write that.

LOL. Thanks. Is that simple to do?

I have been fooling around with my jump drive, and that appears to be able to read/write on both.
post #4 of 7
So, I found this one from Seagate. It says:

Included NTFS driver for Mac
Lets you interchangeably store and access files from PC and Mac computers without reformatting.

Compatible with Mac and PC
For flexible options and use with more than 1 computer (requires reformatting to HFS+ for use with Mac Time Machine software).

Does this mean if I use it for Time Machine I will lose PC access? Because Time Machine would be great too.
post #5 of 7
Time Machine doesn't like to share. It wants a drive all to itself. However, you can divide a drive into multiple partitions, one for Time Machine and one for storage.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

ya you are right

---------------------------
Adomn
Waste Water Treatment, Effluent Treatment
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adomn1089 View Post

ya you are right

---------------------------
Adomn
Waste Water Treatment, Effluent Treatment

ya you are spam
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Hard drive question, new to Mac