or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple allows previously banned 'Camera +' back into iPhone App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple allows previously banned 'Camera +' back into iPhone App Store

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
More than four months after it was banned for allowing users to snap a picture with the iPhone's volume buttons, the application "Camera +" has been allowed back into the App Store by Apple.

The application from developer TapTapTap is once again available in the App Store at an introductory price of 99 cents. Dubbed "Camera + 2," the application was announced on Wednesday with more than 50 new features.

The post on the company's official blog by TapTapTap head John Casasanta makes no mention of developer's previous dispute with Apple, which led to the iPhone maker removing Camera + from the App Store. Those who owned the previous version of the application will receive the update for free.

"We've been pretty busy for the past several months working on the latest and greatest version of our flagship app, Camera+," the blog post reads.

New features include sliders for adjusting effects on photos, the ability to export geolocation and metadata when saving pictures to the camera roll, and a faster startup time. Not likely among them is an "Easter egg" or physical shutter button option.

The popular application was pulled from the App Store by Apple in August after it was discovered that the software violated Apple's developer agreement terms. The previous version of the software had an "Easter egg" feature that allowed users to make an iPhone volume control button act as a shutter button to take pictures.



The developer had previously attempted to include the feature, called "VolumeSnap," in a more direct way, but Apple rejected it. The company, which approves every application made for sale on the App Store, said that the volume shutter button could result in "user confusion."

Instead, TapTapTap included the feature in Camera +, but hid it. It revealed via its official Twitter account that entering a URL into the Mobile Safari browser on the iPhone could activate the feature.

Before it was pulled from the App Store, the popular application grossed nearly a half million dollars in its first two months of availability. As of Wednesday morning, it is the ninth most popular paid iPhone application on the App Store.
post #2 of 35
So does the new app, camera +2, have the so called "volumesnap" feature or not?
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company [Apple], which approves every application made for sale on the App Store, said that the volume shutter button could result in "user confusion."

we are a stupid bunch, aren't we? i love it when corporate america protects me from myself.
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

we are a stupid bunch, aren't we? i love it when corporate america protects me from myself.

Its a company protecting its self interests. Nothing wrong with that.

It could be argued that Apple is too cautious and caters too much to the lowest common denominator, but Ill take that any day over the opposite.

Even with these checks and balances there are plenty of things people just dont realize with their Apple products. For example, people still think the Fast App Switcher is a list of all the apps that are currently run/using up RAM.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 35
And in other news, still sucks for anyone who is concerned about an efficient workflow. It finally launches into the photo mode, but the lightbox is still a useless pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepreeThis View Post

So does the new app, camera +2, have the so called "volumesnap" feature or not?

I thought it went without saying that it doesn't.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

we are a stupid bunch, aren't we? i love it when corporate america protects me from myself.

Nah, you're only stupid if you don't like the product and yet you still go ahead and buy it. And then complain that it's not what you wanted and is a waste of money.
post #7 of 35
I wish I'd realized the "VolumeSnap" feature was removed before I upgraded this. I hope I still have the older .ipa in Time Machine...

Another case of the App Store "standards" process run amok.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #8 of 35
How can I love a company's products so much and loath their policies at the same time?

This is how they encourage and justify jailbreaking.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

we are a stupid bunch, aren't we? i love it when corporate america protects me from myself.

1) yes, the average user is actually pretty stupid and products *do* have to be designed around that fact to be successful.
2) "Corporate America" rarely if ever protects anyone from anything, so your comment implying "they" are doing this again, makes no sense at all.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepreeThis View Post

So does the new app, camera +2, have the so called "volumesnap" feature or not?

Probably not, if they want to add physical button support they should partner with someone like owle.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

1) yes, the average user is actually pretty stupid and products *do* have to be designed around that fact to be successful.
2) "Corporate America" rarely if ever protects anyone from anything, so your comment implying "they" are doing this again, makes no sense at all.


1: The problem is stupidity has no limits and with the way things are going, they'll keep designing products that aim lower and lower.

2: He was being sarcastic
post #12 of 35
No volume snap. If you update, it takes away that feature.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its a company protecting its self interests. Nothing wrong with that.

It could be argued that Apple is too cautious and caters too much to the lowest common denominator, but Ill take that any day over the opposite.

Even with these checks and balances there are plenty of things people just dont realize with their Apple products. For example, people still think the Fast App Switcher is a list of all the apps that are currently run/using up RAM.

Wow. Justifying this promotes you to "ultimate apple fanboy". How in the world is this protecting it's self interests?

When a user has to purposely set the option to use map the physical button, that is in no way "confusing".

In my own experience, when I first had my 2g iPhone, I found myself clicking the home button to take the picture. It's even more natural to use a physical button than the silly virtual one. I've asked a couple of people around the office here that have iPhones and they generally agree.

This is a just a good idea that Apple is, unfortunately, missing the point. It's crap like this that is moving me farther away from Apple.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

1: The problem is stupidity has no limits and with the way things are going, they'll keep designing products that aim lower and lower.

It seems we may well be on the path to "idiocracy".
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapple187 View Post

Wow. Justifying this promotes you to "ultimate apple fanboy". How in the world is this protecting it's self interests?

When a user has to purposely set the option to use map the physical button, that is in no way "confusing".

In my own experience, when I first had my 2g iPhone, I found myself clicking the home button to take the picture. It's even more natural to use a physical button than the silly virtual one. I've asked a couple of people around the office here that have iPhones and they generally agree.

This is a just a good idea that Apple is, unfortunately, missing the point. It's crap like this that is moving me farther away from Apple.

You know, with a user name like "Crapple187" I'm pretty sure Apple isn't going to mourn the loss of a not very bright 12 year old as a customer.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #16 of 35
I still think that there were two excellent camera ideas floating around:

1.) Make the entire camera preview screen the shutter button. Of course now with zoom and focus it makes that a bit complicated.

2.) And in the mean time, hold the shutter button down and release it after you have composed your shot rather than trying to tap it once the shot has been composed.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

It seems we may well be on the path to "idiocracy".

The working definition of stupidity around here seems to be "anyone who doesn't think exactly like me."
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The working definition of stupidity around here seems to be "anyone who doesn't think exactly like me."

This is quote-worthy.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I still think that there were two excellent camera ideas floating around:

1.) Make the entire camera preview screen the shutter button.

2.) And in the mean time, hold the shutter button down and release it after you have composed your shot rather than trying to tap it once the shot has been composed.

I like #1 even if they include a virtual button so people naturally know not to click the Home Button.

Isnt #2 how its worked from the start? It doesnt take the shot until you release the button, but not when you first engage it.

Ive been wanting Apple to make Mute toggle switch into a button that also can be depressed. I think this would make for a more natural way to snap a pic, to mute a call, or to engage voice control. Two of these would make usage in the pocket pretty natural, IMO.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepreeThis View Post

So does the new app, camera +2, have the so called "volumesnap" feature or not?

X 2

What would it take to say "... so in updated version there is/is not this feature available". I could not get it from the article at all.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The working definition of stupidity around here seems to be "anyone who doesn't think exactly like me."

That is stupid.
.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #22 of 35
The app store is so fragmented when it comes to app approval. Why is Apple so fragmented?
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I wish I'd realized the "VolumeSnap" feature was removed before I upgraded this. I hope I still have the older .ipa in Time Machine...

If you haven't emptied your trash yet after the update, it should still be in the trash can.
post #24 of 35
They made such a big promotional push for this app when it first came out that I'm really amazed how long it took them to get it back in the store after it was pulled. It would have been a simple matter to remove the volumesnap feature and resubmit way back in August, but instead they decided to wait, leaving it out of the store for 4 months while they worked on a new version? Sounds like a poor business decision to me...
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I’ve been wanting Apple to make Mute toggle switch into a button that also can be depressed. I think this would make for a more natural way to snap a pic, to mute a call, or to engage voice control. Two of these would make usage in the pocket pretty natural, IMO.


At least those pictures of the inside of your pocket are easy to delete.

Yes #2 always worked that way, I just thought it was a good tip because that way you can take self portraits with the rear camera, you know while holding the the camera at arms length with your other arm around girlfriend/wife. Still kind of difficult - careful not to drop the iPhone when you release the button. Also when taking regular pictures you'll shake the camera a lot less than a tap and can stay framed better, not having to take you eyes off the subject to find the button.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I still think that there were two excellent camera ideas floating around:

1.) Make the entire camera preview screen the shutter button. Of course now with zoom and focus it makes that a bit complicated.

ProCamera does this. In ProCamera, it's called Full Screen Trigger. There's also an option for Full Screen Anti Shake, which is handy. In Full Screen Anti Shake Trigger mode, the shutter button becomes an anti-shake override.

Placement of the zoom options is also far less annoying in ProCamera.

Also, ProCamera saves the pics you take in the camera roll where they belong instead of putting them in a silly lightbox that requires the extra step to move them later.

Camera+ is becoming a good camera app, but the latest update of ProCamera is much better.
post #27 of 35
Anyone else besides me kinda feel iffy about Tap Tap Tap and Camera+? I mean, I don't believe Apple ever "banned" the app. Rather, they pulled the app because the developers thought they could sneak one past Apple and violate their SDK rules and developer agreements. Tap Tap Tap could have reposted a new version of the application at any time sans the offending code and that would have been that. Instead, they have been playing games and milking the press for a crap load of free publicity.

I bought the app long ago, before all this meltdown, and I have to say I rarely use it. Just seems too gimmicky. Had I known all this would happen, I probably would pass on the app under principle. I just don't feel comfortable with this company or its app.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Anyone else besides me kinda feel iffy about Tap Tap Tap and Camera+?

Does anyone really care?

If Jobs is going to be so tight he can make diamonds poop out, then what's the point? This Apple fragmentation of approval is getting supercilious.
post #29 of 35
I'd love a dedicated shoulder button for launching the camera app and to trigger the camera shutter once it's launched. Think of all the candid moments you could capture if a photo was only two button presses away from any screen.

On-screen software controls are best for most applications but definitely not for the camera shutter and games that are designed with console controls in mind.
post #30 of 35
Why does Apple care if you can use the volume buttons to take a photo? It's not like the volume buttons are used for anything else in the camera app.

Might as well allow the buttons to be used for whatever you like.
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Why does Apple care if you can use the volume buttons to take a photo? It's not like the volume buttons are used for anything else in the camera app.

Might as well allow the buttons to be used for whatever you like.

Because you'll get CONFUSED!

I'll bet there's a patent out there. All the moto droids have a camera side button, which works perfectly.
post #32 of 35
You guys, I just found this new camera app that has this volume-snap Easter Egg!!!
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Does anyone really care?

If Jobs is going to be so tight he can make diamonds poop out, then what's the point? This Apple fragmentation of approval is getting supercilious.

You should probably leave the use of both clever petard hoisting and big words to those better equipped to deploy them.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #34 of 35
I'm so confused. I pressed the button, expecting to control the volume on my.... camera.

And to my utter surprise, it snapped.... a picture!


WTH?



post #35 of 35
Dear Steve,

The Camera + Volume snap feature will make users (who know how to operate a camera app) confused?

Touching a screen on the moment of shooting a picture.
Now that's stupid and confusing!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple allows previously banned 'Camera +' back into iPhone App Store