or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Clean install of Snow Leopard

Clean install of Snow Leopard

post #1 of 6
Last night i backed up my MacBook Pro and I wanted to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, so I tried what several websites said to do, I rebooted with disc in drive and hit c key until the Apple logo appeared but it never would take me to a screen to do a clean install. In fact, the disc would frequently come out of the drive so I pushed it back in. What am I doing wrong?

I love the iPhone, it has totally changed my Internet and picture-taking life. I like to use shredders to soothe my hectic life, its like I'm a baby and the paper shredding is my warm milk.

I love the iPhone, it has totally changed my Internet and picture-taking life. I like to use shredders to soothe my hectic life, its like I'm a baby and the paper shredding is my warm milk.

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderClay View Post

Last night i backed up my MacBook Pro and I wanted to do a clean install of Snow Leopard, so I tried what several websites said to do, I rebooted with disc in drive and hit c key until the Apple logo appeared but it never would take me to a screen to do a clean install. In fact, the disc would frequently come out of the drive so I pushed it back in. What am I doing wrong?

First off, the "clean install" beast is mythological, as are most of the reasons for doing it. So first ask yourself why you are attempting it, and perhaps save yourself a lot of grief. If you absolutely must do it, try simply inserting the install disc into the drive when the Mac is booted. Does the disc appear on the Desktop? If so, click on the install or restore icon and the Mac should reboot on the disc.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by erosy666 View Post

Snow Leopard will not install over Tiger no matter how many times well-meaning experts claim this. It also does not have any "Clean Installation" option nor does any OS X installer -- that is an old term from OS 9 and before.

Guess what, spambot? That's an outright lie. Enjoy not being here anymore.
post #4 of 6
Despite the source, it is true that the "clean install" option is fictional.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Despite the source, it is true that the "clean install" option is fictional.

Or not.

They took a line item marked 'clean install' off the options screen, but you can do it.

The steps are very easy.

1. Back up all data to an external of your choice (Time Capsule, other hard drive, stack of optional disks etc)

2. Insert install disk. Open and click on install icon. If it fails to properly start go into system prefs and select disk as startup drive and redraft

3. Once installer has begun, go to Options menu and select disk utility.

4. Erase and format disk as MacOS Extended.

5. When reformat is done quit disk utility and continue with OS installer.

Thats as clean as it gets. Same as the old line item, just not automated

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #6 of 6
"Clean install" was never an option. Ever. The options used to be "Erase and Install" and "Archive and Install." The archive option has been removed and you have to go to some lengths to reformat and install. Which, I think is a good thing, since the reformat and install procedure you outline is pointless IMO. It only gets you right back where you started, but takes a lot more time, and of course introduces the risk that your backup method hasn't been complete.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Clean install of Snow Leopard