Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss
Despite the source, it is true that the "clean install" option is fictional.
They took a line item marked 'clean install' off the options screen, but you can do it.
The steps are very easy.
1. Back up all data to an external of your choice (Time Capsule, other hard drive, stack of optional disks etc)
2. Insert install disk. Open and click on install icon. If it fails to properly start go into system prefs and select disk as startup drive and redraft
3. Once installer has begun, go to Options menu and select disk utility.
4. Erase and format disk as MacOS Extended.
5. When reformat is done quit disk utility and continue with OS installer.
Thats as clean as it gets. Same as the old line item, just not automated