or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Steve Jobs named Financial Times 'Person of the Year'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs named Financial Times 'Person of the Year'

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
British international business paper the Financial Times revealed its "Person of the Year" this week, bestowing the honor upon Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

The profile of Jobs declares that his presence onstage in January when he unveiled the iPad "capped the most remarkable comeback in modern business history." Authors Richard Waters and Joseph Menn wrote that the instant success of the iPad is perhaps the biggest frustration to Apple's rival, Microsoft.

"Of all the fingers that Apple has poked into Microsoft's eyes over the years, none can have rankled as much as the early success of the iPad," the report reads. "Mr. Gates himself championed a tablet computer nearly a decade ago, though the stylus needed to write on its screen and the PC-like interface generated little demand."

The honor is far from the first time Jobs has been recognized for his success with Apple. Earlier this month MarketWatch declared Jobs the "CEO of the Decade," and that exact same title was given to him a year ago by Fortune.

After a cancer scare that forced him to leave his duties as CEO of Apple for most of 2009, Jobs returned to the stage in September of that year to unveil his company's new iPod lineup. Since he returned, his company has continued to grow, and in May Apple's market capitalization exceeded Microsoft, making it the second largest American company.

The Times profile offers an inside look at Jobs, noting that his style has changed as Apple's business has grown. The company now concentrates more on the mass market, and one Apple veteran described Jobs' new style as more pragmatic.

"Compromise seems like too strong a word, but the greater sense of expediency reflects Apple's new place in the world," the report reads. "Its iPads are now on sale at mass-market retailers -- a world away from the high style of Apple's own retail stores."
post #2 of 22
Congratulations Steve Jobs, a title well earned!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #3 of 22
Person of the year makes it sound so final and that there can only be one. However, Financial Times gives it to Jobs and Time magazine gives it to Zuckerberg.
post #4 of 22
If Steve was an actor he'd have golden globes and oscars coming out of his arse!

Well done Steve!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #5 of 22
Jobs could be a person of the year for a different magazine every year for the rest of his life, for what he did with Apple.
post #6 of 22
When and if he ever passes away his funeral will look a lot like MJ's.

Does he have any kids, and if so, how in hell do they match or better the olde man when they grow up?

Skip
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

When and if he ever passes away his funeral will look a lot like MJ's.

Does he have any kids, and if so, how in hell do they match or better the olde man when they grow up?

Skip

Ive been saying the data center in NC will house Steve Jobs brain. The singularity arrives in 2011.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

If Steve was an actor he'd have golden globes and oscars coming out of his arse!

Well done Steve!

He would be an EGOTer

(30 Rock Season4 & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_Tony_Awards)
post #9 of 22
A Visionary and Marketer all in one. He's a genius.
an Award well deserved.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

When and if he ever passes away … his funeral will look a lot like MJ's.

Does he have any kids, and if so, how in hell do they match or better the olde man when they grow up?

Skip

Steve has 4 children. Lisa is his eldest and a graduate of Princeton University.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

Person of the year makes it sound so final and that there can only be one. However, Financial Times gives it to Jobs and Time magazine gives it to Zuckerberg.

...but Fortune named Netflix CEO Reed Hastings "Businessperson of the Year.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11/...r-of-the-pack/
post #12 of 22
Quote:
The Times profile offers an inside look at Jobs, noting that his style has changed as Apple's business has grown. The company now concentrates more on the mass market, and one Apple veteran described Jobs' new style as more pragmatic.

"Compromise seems like too strong a word, but the greater sense of expediency reflects Apple's new place in the world," the report reads. "Its iPads are now on sale at mass-market retailers -- a world away from the high style of Apple's own retail stores."


Change is the most difficult thing to achieve in a CEO. That's why some CEOs like Steve Jobs are good to start companies, while others are better at managing more mature companies. The Times seems to say that Steve Jobs has reflected upon his style of leadership and outgrown his own limits. If true, a great achievement.

On a different note, you have to wonder why the honors are piling up if not that Steve Jobs is about to step down as Apple's CEO.


post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Change is the most difficult thing to achieve in a CEO. That's why some CEOs like Steve Jobs are good to start companies, while others are better at managing more mature companies. The Times seems to say that Steve Jobs has reflected upon his style of leadership and outgrown his own limits. If true, a great achievement.

On a different note, you have to wonder why the honors are piling up if not that Steve Jobs is about to step down as Apple's CEO.



Steve 2.0 is a very different businessperson than Steve 1.0. The first version of Steve was unfocused and undisciplined. He very nearly ruined Apple. Not entirely surprising that someone in his 20s wouldn't know much about making a large corporation run. He learned an awful lot during his time away. The personal reinvention was a great achievement.

As for the honors, they're coming for what he's achieved. These publications wouldn't have any more clue about how long he plans on remaining at Apple than anyone else.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #14 of 22
I maintain of all Stevo's accomplishments, and there are many, the most important accomplishment is his ability to corral engineers and programmers and force them to produce software/hardware that is "user friendly" for the average consumer! In other words, a digital ecosystem.

All you have to do is pick up any non-Apple product, from GPS units, cameras, MP3 players, Cable and TV boxes and see how un-intuitive their menus are. And how far you have to "drill down" for seemingly simple tasks. Never mind, Windows, MS, Adobe, etc.

I for one, will always buy an Apple product whether it be a phone, laptop, desktop, tablet, ATV, router, or software. And apart from a flat screen TV, I would rather do without a piece of equipment than have to buy a from anyone else.

They really do look at things differently. Whereas, Dell, Sony, HP, Google, Motorola, RIM continue to put out "half-assed," creaky and plasticky products!

Best
post #15 of 22
Damn, I had my money on the JooJoo tablet guys, to take this out.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #16 of 22
Well his doll comes out I hope it has front and a rear facing camera !
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The singularity arrives in 2011.

No. December 21, 2012.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve has 4 children. Lisa is his eldest and a graduate of Princeton University.

Isn't she the bastard love child?
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

British international business paper the Financial Times revealed its "Person of the Year" this week, bestowing the honor upon Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs."

The two different choice reflect the sentiment of different culture: Classic God like Hero vs wild wild west... US always warship the new new thing... voting for the above average with massive support. in order to please two magazines' readers, the choice are understandable.
post #20 of 22
A very daring choice! This is only a man who invented several sectors of electronics, and created maybe $300B+ in shareholder value. Kudos to the Financial Times for its historical acumen. Oh, it's a news organization? Then it's a very slow one.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

When and if he ever passes away his funeral will look a lot like MJ's.

Does he have any kids, and if so, how in hell do they match or better the olde man when they grow up?

Skip

The news stories are actually written already and updated continually. I remember one was accidentally published when Steve Jobs had his health scare.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

...but Fortune named Netflix CEO Reed Hastings "Businessperson of the Year.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11/...r-of-the-pack/

Apple will buy Netflix and Facebook in 2011!!!!

Will that make Steve, the Person of Universe!!! finally
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Steve Jobs named Financial Times 'Person of the Year'