or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New cases lend support to larger speaker on Apple's second-gen iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New cases lend support to larger speaker on Apple's second-gen iPad

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Another leaked second-generation iPad case from overseas shows a large opening on the lower left side of the back of the device, this time with an illustration of a speaker grille.

Alibaba.com, a global online business-to-business trading platform, is currently offering silicon cases for the "iPad 2." Like previously revealed cases, these have a spot on the back for a camera, as well as a hole in the bottom left rear side.

While a previous report suggested the space would be home to an SD card slot, a new report from this week said that the new iPad would instead have a wide-range speaker on its back side. It also said the back of the new iPad would be "flat like an iPod touch."

The latest case has an illustration with a speaker grille in the spot on the back, lending support to the rumor that the next-generation iPad will have an improved speaker. It was said the speaker on the back side is covered with a "metal mesh."

The previous report also alleged that the new iPad will retain the same 9.7-inch LCD display, but the device will be 3mm smaller, measuring 239mm by 186mm. It also said that the ambient light sensor in the new iPad will also be moved to the "upper center of the rear panel."



The new iPad is expected to have dual cameras, with a forward-facing one to be used for FaceTime video chat. FaceTime debuted this year on the iPhone, and eventually came to the new iPod touch and Mac OS X.

Reports have claimed that production of the new iPad is underway and overseas suppliers will begin shipping the device to Apple in January.
post #2 of 40
You would think after being singled out as a leak, case vendors would be careful about this sort of thing. I can't see a reason why Apple would want these leaks, seems like it might hurt holiday sales.
post #3 of 40
To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.

I'm not sure I agree but I'm not really sure which internals you are talking about.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the same iPad, but lighter, not made of metal, and a tad thinner. More memory would be good which I guess is an "internal."

I am mostly disappointed with the software as I use mine for writing and there just isn't much in the way of decent writing software, nor is there anything really good in terms of getting documents onto and off of the thing (at least not without buying into some third party syncing solution).

I'm also a bit disappointed about the "improved" speaker in that I don't personally need a speaker at all on the iPad at all really and it seems like it's is going to be terribly ugly and possibly cause problems in bad weather.
post #5 of 40
Well, I can't wait to get my hands on the second generation iPad. I have an iPad Wi-Fi 3G 64GB that I love...this thing can only get better. See you soon eBay!
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not sure I agree but I'm not really sure which internals you are talking about.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the same iPad, but lighter, not made of metal, and a tad thinner. More memory would be good which I guess is an "internal."

I am mostly disappointed with the software as I use mine for writing and there just isn't much in the way of decent writing software, nor is there anything really good in terms of getting documents onto and off of the thing (at least not without buying into some third party syncing solution).

I'm also a bit disappointed about the "improved" speaker in that I don't personally need a speaker at all on the iPad at all really and it seems like it's is going to be terribly ugly and possibly cause problems in bad weather.

I'm not trying to be a troll here, honest. But, it seems that you bought the wrong device. I don't think anyone would agree that the iPad was built for writing. Isn't the iPad more of a media consumption device? That would support the decision to go with an upgraded speaker. Just some thoughts.
post #7 of 40
Yea right

Apple will put the speaker on back where no one can hear it ... right where many people grap the ipad. Doesn't take a genius to find out this is bull.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Yea right

Apple will put the speaker on back where no one can hear it ... right where many people grap the ipad. Doesn't take a genius to find out this is bull.

i know! what's next? they put macbook speakers on the back of the machine? or iPhone speakers on the bottom???

...oh wait
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not sure I agree but I'm not really sure which internals you are talking about.

His, apparently -- since he seems to have the urge to leak on them.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i know! what's next? they put macbook speakers on the back of the machine? or iPhone speakers on the bottom???

...oh wait

If you see anyone use an iPad they grip it toward the bottom, or they lay it on their lap. Either way the speaker will be blocked. Right handed people will grap the ipad with the left hand right where that speaker is and use the right hand for the touching. No way the speaker is going there unless apple engineering has gone completely insane.
post #11 of 40
What really make this realistic is that the camera lens is bigger than the home button on the front. Yea, I'm sure that will happen.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.

Really? I am quite happy with the speed of the unit. I do not care how much ram, how many cores or what mhz the unit is operating at. The iPad is not running inefficient Windows, it is running iOS.

The Ipad's battery life is amazing so do not need a change there.

The only think I want.... cameras and a built in SD slot. That is it.
post #13 of 40
IF that's a speaker and IF the back is flat i don't buy it. SJ boasted about putting the speaker on the BOTTOM of the original iphone, saying it's much better than having a speaker on the back, where it won't work when sitting on a surface. perhaps the back bevels to become all flat in the middle?
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

If you see anyone use an iPad they grip it toward the bottom, or they lay it on their lap.

I'm apparently not anyone, as I've never used mine like that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

If you see anyone use an iPad they grip it toward the bottom, or they lay it on their lap. Either way the speaker will be blocked. Right handed people will grap the ipad with the left hand right where that speaker is and use the right hand for the touching. No way the speaker is going there unless apple engineering has gone completely insane.

Right handed people grab it with their left hand, which is right where that speaker isn't. It's on the left when looking at the back, which means it's on the right when looking at the front.

Regardless, I think this is a mockup... although I really would be surprised if Apple were to put an SD card slot on this... besides it being ugly, they sell bigger versions... for more money!
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
Reply
15" G4 Powerbook, 13" White Macbook, Apple TV 2g, iPod Touch 2g
Reply
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

I'm not trying to be a troll here, honest. But, it seems that you bought the wrong device. I don't think anyone would agree that the iPad was built for writing. Isn't the iPad more of a media consumption device? That would support the decision to go with an upgraded speaker. Just some thoughts.

Possibly you are right. Time will tell.

The iPad is being advertised as, and is seen as by Apple as a sort of mobile computer that can be used for productivity, writing etc.

Even though it's pretty awful, Apple actually makes the only useable word processor for it (Pages), so it seems they intend it to be used for productive purposes of some kind and for writing specifically. I tend to agree with you however that in practice, the iPad is primarily a passive media consumption device, at least so far and for most people.

However, I see the iPad as the first (or perhaps second) device of an entirely new platform, so I believe *eventually* it will be useable as a real computer, and *eventually* that will be it's primary use, and *eventually* it will replace the need for a desktop computer. How long that takes and how frustrating it gets along the way however, I couldn't venture a guess at.

I almost gave up on using the thing at all but 4.2.1 made it borderline useable. I currently write between 500 and 1,000 words a day on it, and use it exclusively for that purpose. It's difficult, but possible.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.

Hmm, if the iPad 2 is not just 3 month away I would buy a second right now. Kids fight for the iPad and wife also loves it. The only things I really care are thinner and lighter.
post #18 of 40
I will buy if has USB ports.
post #19 of 40
I think it won't be a speaker grill. Apple is too smart for that. I'd think they take a cue from the old MacBook air. Have a drop down latch with an sd card slot and or micro USB. It's logical if you wanna add more ports and not increase thickness. Remember part of apple's ideals may be quality but just as importantly in their decisions are design and form factor.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Possibly you are right. Time will tell.

The iPad is being advertised as, and is seen as by Apple as a sort of mobile computer that can be used for productivity, writing etc.

Even though it's pretty awful, Apple actually makes the only useable word processor for it (Pages), so it seems they intend it to be used for productive purposes of some kind and for writing specifically. I tend to agree with you however that in practice, the iPad is primarily a passive media consumption device, at least so far and for most people.

However, I see the iPad as the first (or perhaps second) device of an entirely new platform, so I believe *eventually* it will be useable as a real computer, and *eventually* that will be it's primary use, and *eventually* it will replace the need for a desktop computer. How long that takes and how frustrating it gets along the way however, I couldn't venture a guess at.

I almost gave up on using the thing at all but 4.2.1 made it borderline useable. I currently write between 500 and 1,000 words a day on it, and use it exclusively for that purpose. It's difficult, but possible.

Pardon me, but when did reading become a non-productive activity, a form of "passive consumption" that gets lumped in (apparently) with being a couch potato in front of the tube? Did something happen to this concept when I wasn't paying attention?

If I were to use the iPad for writing (not my only productive activity, I hope), then I'd probably want to try a physical keyboard. I can't get any kind of typing speed going with the virtual keyboard.

And don't even get me started on the "real computer" thing.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.

I think weve been over this before. The performance of the device isnt based on some spec sheet listing of which has the fastest HW in some specific categories when youre dealing with disparate OSes. We just have to look at the iOS v. Android WiFi speed tests to see how slow HW can be when using inefficient code. One thing I am certain of that the next iPad will feel faster than its competitors and thats what matters to customers, not some the number of cycles per second the CPU has or some other such measure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i know! what's next? they put macbook speakers on the back of the machine? or iPhone speakers on the bottom???

...oh wait

Touche!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I will buy if has USB ports.

All iDevices already transmit data over USB, they just dont use any of the USB port interfaces. Not a big deal, otherwise iDevices would have never saturated the market.

Your post does exclude which USB port(s) you want? I think there are at least USB-A, USB-B, mini-USB-A, mini-USB-B, micro-USB-A, and micro-USB-B interfaces. So which one does Apple use? And what if use a standard USB port and people plug an external HDD into the port because they naturally assume that anything plugged into a standard USB port should jut work like with a typical desktop OS? These things need to be considered.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 40
Besides the nonsense mentioned above, the ambient light sensor on the back makes no sense at all. It would be blocked almost all the time. This was probably a disinformation "leak" to find out who can be trusted.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #23 of 40
Considering the lack of room mini USB may be used. There are limits that can be placed in such a thin device. Also they balance their products to keep them relevant. I just wish you could turn on the iPad out of the box instead of activating through iTunes. That's th only things other tablets have over the iPad. : / really that's one of the biggest changes I want to see.
post #24 of 40
it's amazing that there are so many ipad savants around. apple should just fire their tech people and read the blogs for ideas. boy, could they save money and everybody would be happy.
post #25 of 40
You're right.
post #26 of 40
iPad needs an SD Slot, more memory and ideally the retina display but that's stretching it.
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

it's amazing that there are so many ipad savants around. apple should just fire their tech people and read the blogs for ideas. boy, could they save money and everybody would be happy.

No, that would be obscenely horrible. Design by committee is inherently bad design. You may not like Apple's method for designing products, but it is the most efficient, least troublesome, and most accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1 View Post

You're right.

He's wrong. Think about why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytech View Post

iPad needs an SD Slot, more memory and ideally the retina display but that's stretching it.

Not really. Doesn't need an SD card slot because it isn't a real computer. You're going to be syncing any SD card content from your computer anyway, and Apple is NOT in the expandable storage game, nor has been since they started this a decade ago.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 40
Light sensor and speaker on the back? Neither make sense to me.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Reply
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not sure I agree but I'm not really sure which internals you are talking about.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the same iPad, but lighter, not made of metal, and a tad thinner. More memory would be good which I guess is an "internal."

I am mostly disappointed with the software as I use mine for writing and there just isn't much in the way of decent writing software, nor is there anything really good in terms of getting documents onto and off of the thing (at least not without buying into some third party syncing solution).

I'm also a bit disappointed about the "improved" speaker in that I don't personally need a speaker at all on the iPad at all really and it seems like it's is going to be terribly ugly and possibly cause problems in bad weather.

I couldn't disagree more with wanting a non-metal iPad. The build quality of the iPad is one of its very strongest attributes.

I think more memory is a given. The iPhone 4 has twice the memory of the iPad already so I think that'll be in there.

I think you need to investigate further with your software. I adore Pages and with a bluetooth keyboard/keyboard dock the iPad would be a nice writing device for those not wanting to invest in a MacBook. Can the documents not be easily transferred with iTunes? Does Pages not use the drop box feature in iTunes that the likes of VLC Player use? Surely PDF's are usually sufficient as exports?
post #30 of 40
iPad needs to get thinner and lighter and I look forward to it.
post #31 of 40
If it is made of metal then I wonder whether the case will be milled or using the technology from Liquid Metal, for which they got an exclusive. BTW I can't imagine Apple going back to plastic at this point, since it would cheapen the appearance of the product, IMHO.
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AITruther View Post

Well well well. Looks like Apple Insider deleted the posts which expose their shoddy "jounalism". They think they can censor what their posters want to see? Here's the post that AI deleted:

I have an idea. Since your account is just a throwaway designed only for the purpose of "exposing" AppleInsider as pointless, here's an idea for what you can do instead.

Leave our website, never come back, and shut up. Choose the order.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Really? I am quite happy with the speed of the unit. I do not care how much ram, how many cores or what mhz the unit is operating at. The iPad is not running inefficient Windows, it is running iOS.

The Ipad's battery life is amazing so do not need a change there.

I love my iPad as is. Agree the battery life is amazing. I would appreciate a bit more storage. Don't care about cameras - don't want someone face timing me early at inopportune times.

Software changes would be great....more airplay. Steaming TO the iPad. Integration with apple tv.


I also want it to make me waffles on Sunday morning.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

You would think after being singled out as a leak, case vendors would be careful about this sort of thing. I can't see a reason why Apple would want these leaks, seems like it might hurt holiday sales.

Kinda late to really hurt holiday sales. Most of the ipads bought for Xmas are neatly wrapped and under a tree right about now and the people buying them today aren't reading AI for some last minute leaks.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Kinda late to really hurt holiday sales. Most of the ipads bought for Xmas are neatly wrapped and under a tree right about now and the people buying them today aren't reading AI for some last minute leaks.

And as the second iPad won't be announced/out until April, it doesn't really matter.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1 View Post

Have a drop down latch with an sd card slot and or micro USB.

Um. There's no way Apple's gonna put hinged/movable parts on the iPad 2. The original MBA had a hinged door for ports, but they abandoned that idea with the 2010 MBA. An SD slot would be very niceeliminate the need for at least one interface adapter, since most of us have digital cameras now. It would be nice to be able to take the card out of the camera, slip it into the iPad 2 (without any camera adapter) and start editing photos on the road.

I really don't see a need for a USB port of any flavour. The iPad was conceived and designed as an "appliance" not a computer/host device, into which you would plug appliances/peripherals. Running any peripherals off of the iPad 2 will kill battery life.
Yes, Windows and Android tablets will boast USB ports as a "feature". But then they'll also boast AC power as a "feature" as wellthey'll have to, because all the external HDDs, mobile phones, Zunes (!!!) that users will want to plug into their tablets will make AC power necessary. What users will end up with is a "netbook without a keyboard". That never was, and never will be, Apple's goal for any iteration of the iPad.

Retina display for the iPad 2 certainly sounds nice, but it's overkill. It makes perfect sense on small screens like the iPhone and iPod touch. But, putting a 1600x1200 (or higher) display on the iPad's 9.7" screen makes no sense to me. Plus, it would be prohibitively expensive. It makes more sense to keep the resolution as is, and further evolve the graphics bandwidth/processing capabilities. Think about it: our eyes are actually pretty low resolution input devices. But, the fact that we're constantly scanning our field of view, and that our brains are doing high-bandwidth image processing, makes the resultant image appear to be much higher resolution than what our eyes are actually taking in at any given moment.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Personally, I'd be happy to see the same iPad, but lighter, not made of metal, and a tad thinner. More memory would be good which I guess is an "internal."

I know nothing of materials science, so, i'm hoping that someone can educate me. CNC-milled aluminum seems pretty sturdy: my 13" aluminum unibody MacBook feels practically indestructiblethough I'm reluctant to "test it to destruction"! Would carbon fiber, or some kinda LiquidMetal alloy have superior durability-/stiffness-to-weight ratio?

Of course, once we get carbon nanotube-based manufacturing processes into the mainstream, we'll have 3-mm thick iPads that weigh 100 grams but have the durability of a 50-ton slab of solid aluminum! Can't wait!
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Perhaps the back bevels to become all flat in the middle?

I thought that was clear from the outset. The speaker will be on the bevel so it is not in contact with any surface the iPad may be laying against. The design cue is from the iPod touch not the iPhone 4.

PS- Merry Christmas!
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To put it bluntly iPad needs vastly overhauled electronics to be a worthwhile in 2011. So what we really need is leaks on the internals.

To put it bluntly, it will have vastly overhauled electronics. I'd be surprised if there was anything but an Apple branded version of a dual core Arm Cortex A9 in there.

Apple's mobile offerings have always been on par with the latest and greatest mobile devices at launch time anyway, so I'm not sure what you're concerned about. Nine months later, there still isn't a (released) tablet that knocks the socks off the the current iPad specs wise, it's not like Apple's fallen behind or something. The Samsung Galaxy tab runs on an A8 just like the iPad, and the iPhone 4 (which launched after the iPad, but before the galaxy tab) has just as much ram. The only thing that would blow the iPad away (specs wise) would be the Blackberry PlayBook running an A9 processor with a gig of ram. Interestingly enough, it probably won't launch until April (if it stays on schedule), within the same time frame as the iPad. RIM clearly expects A9 processors to be ready for prime time by then, so why wouldn't Apple use them in the next iPad?

The Palm Pre had some great specs when they announced it 6 months in advance too. Far better specs than the 3G. Then the 3GS launched within a week of the Pre, and the Pre didn't look so hot anymore. The A9 will become the new standard in 2011, just like the A8 has been for the last year and a bit. You can bet on almost every new mobile device to be running a variant of it, including the iPad. So better specs are virtually a given...
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

To put it bluntly, it will have vastly overhauled electronics. I'd be surprised if there was anything but an Apple branded version of a dual core Arm Cortex A9 in there.

Apple's mobile offerings have always been on par with the latest and greatest mobile devices at launch time anyway, so I'm not sure what you're concerned about. Nine months later, there still isn't a (released) tablet that knocks the socks off the the current iPad specs wise, it's not like Apple's fallen behind or something. The Samsung Galaxy tab runs on an A8 just like the iPad, and the iPhone 4 (which launched after the iPad, but before the galaxy tab) has just as much ram. The only thing that would blow the iPad away (specs wise) would be the Blackberry PlayBook running an A9 processor with a gig of ram. Interestingly enough, it probably won't launch until April (if it stays on schedule), within the same time frame as the iPad. RIM clearly expects A9 processors to be ready for prime time by then, so why wouldn't Apple use them in the next iPad?

The Palm Pre had some great specs when they announced it 6 months in advance too. Far better specs than the 3G. Then the 3GS launched within a week of the Pre, and the Pre didn't look so hot anymore. The A9 will become the new standard in 2011, just like the A8 has been for the last year and a bit. You can bet on almost every new mobile device to be running a variant of it, including the iPad. So better specs are virtually a given...

I wonder if RiM does expect dual-core Cortex-A9s to be ready when they are or if it’s just part of their marketing ploy to get those most interested in RiM’s products to hold off on buying a competitor’s tablet. Is there an exact date for the PlayBook or dual-core Cortex-A9s?

When we’re discussing these devices we obviously can’t look at the CPU and RAM to determine which is the fastest device since they use different OSes. I think it’s possible the PlayBook needs the A9 and 1GB RAM to be useable because of the UI RiM has chosen for it. Is Adobe AIR in any way as efficient as the UI used in other mobile devices?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • New cases lend support to larger speaker on Apple's second-gen iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New cases lend support to larger speaker on Apple's second-gen iPad