or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Skype rumored to take on Apple's FaceTime at CES

Skype rumored to take on Apple's FaceTime at CES - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I am a long time fan of skype. It really does have something to offer the user.

1- Widespread international adoption
2- Cross platform interoperability
3- Ability to call landline and cell phones directly

I use skype occasionally to make phone calls from my Touch over wifi. No need for a cell phone plan!

The video for Skype on my Mac is pretty good, certainly good enough for a video chat. They have saved us thousands of dollars over the last several years. Or, more accurately, allowed us to keep in touch with friends and family overseas in a way we never would have without them.

Skype is definitely one of the good guys!!!

Obviously you haven't spent any time on the Skype forums. Skype is one of the most unsecured platofrms out. It is riddled with scams, holes, and the Mac vesion of Skype is a resource hog.

1. Yes it is internationally adopted because it was first. Truphone could be a real competitior if they could get their act together and they are.
2. As for cross-platform, the Mac version is simply aweful.
3. Truphone, Fring, and a few others offer the same thing.

Maybe you have low standards but Skype is aweful. Hopefully FaceTime will put pressure on Skype and they will fold.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How many of those Skype users are actively using their accounts?

I never use mine anymore but Im sure Im counted in that tally. I even have money on my account that Ill never use. In fact, I dropped my Skype In number when Google Voice came online. I only ever used Skype for their In/Out services for voice calls to or from proper phone in the US when traveling abroad. Worked surprising well over very, very, very slow internet connections.

I can see a universal, open video conferencing protocol suite being popular and making Skypes video chat only useful when chatting between Skype users, a limitation that FaceTime will not have as it evolves. The number of products and apps that will be able to integrate FaceTime will be innumerable.

On top of that, as Jonamac stated, the connectivity is dead simple compared to Skypes video chat.

Skype will still have their other services, but are Skype In/Out that good? As I stated, I dropped mine for Google Voice which is what I use when I need to give a non-friend or family member a phone number, though it will forward to my cellphone. Does Google Voice operate as widely as Skype In?

Exactly. I really wish something better than Skype would come along. I am using my Truphone account more and more. It does the same thing as Skype and does not hammer your CPU in the process. It is quite obvious that the Skype developers suck and have zero clue about developing for Mac OS. Wish I could use Google Voice but being overseas prevents that. I am going to give Fring out a try as well. Got to dump Skype.
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Exactly. I really wish something better than Skype would come along. I am using my Truphone account more and more. It does the same thing as Skype and does not hammer your CPU in the process. It is quite obvious that the Skype developers suck and have zero clue about developing for Mac OS. Wish I could use Google Voice but being overseas prevents that. I am going to give Fring out a try as well. Got to dump Skype.

what about that Qik thing on the evo?
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

what about that Qik thing on the evo?

Not familar with it. I am in FInland. iPhones, Nokia's, SE's and a few others. Also the networks here are only 3G and one real 4G network in Sweden.
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Skype is great for me here in Japan. Just called my Mum in Canada yesterday from my iPhone to her landline for virtually nothing. Pennies.

Looking forward to something from Apple that does the same thing.

Just buy her an iPhone or a Mac and you're set!
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

For those of us that were around at the 1964 Worlds Fair, FaceTime was being shown under a different name and it never took off because of the cost.

I remember other attempts during the eighties and nineties to make video calling a popular consumer product; even now where webcams and cheap broadband are ubiquitous it doesn't seem to take off as you'd expect it to.

I think the barrier is the lack of a single ITU or defacto standard which allows you to talk to an iPhone, MSN, SKYPE or whatever without nerdy fiddling about. I believe Facetime is a step in the right direction towards that simplicity.

After all we can ring any number in the world for an audio call without having to worry whether we're connecting to a land or mobile device, GSM or CDMA, satellite phone or fibre network. You call the number and it connects and you speak. We need the same simplicity for video calls.

Admittedly I thought the 3G networks in the UK offered this with their 3G video calls but the frame rate was very slow and the video quality left much to be desired.
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4

For those of us that were around at the 1964 Worlds Fair, FaceTime was being shown under a different name and it never took off because of the cost.

I remember other attempts during the eighties and nineties to make video calling a popular consumer product; even now where webcams and cheap broadband are ubiquitous it doesn't seem to take off as you'd expect it to..

Video phones, personal jet packs and flying cars are the future that never seems to get here.

Quote:
Admittedly I thought the 3G networks in the UK offered this with their 3G video calls but the frame rate was very slow and the video quality left much to be desired.

3GPP has video telephony for their 3G and while thats great if you only lived in a country with a single network type, that isnt exactly as ubiquitous as FaceTime could be. Plus, I think FaceTime is much more up to date to offer more efficient data transfers for a given relative quality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G-324M
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #48 of 64
Quote:

Skype will still have their other services, but are Skype In/Out that good? As I stated, I dropped mine for Google Voice which is what I use when I need to give a non-friend or family member a phone number, though it will forward to my cellphone. Does Google Voice operate as widely as Skype In?

All valid points however all my contacts abroad use Skype

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

FaceTime seems like such a great idea until you use it.

You have to hold the iPhone at arm's length if you don't want your face to look distorted, and then you have to shout at the phone to make yourself heard.

Besides, most people's faces don't look so good on camera -- they're used to seeing themselves in a mirror, so the reversed image of their face can be quite jarring.

I was so excited to get FaceTime, but on the first use, I decided I need to get a wig and extensive plastic surgery

My sympathies, I tend to feel the same way, but I figure this is new-technology unfamiliarity working against us. ("These gol-danged new-fangled videophones . . .")

Don't forget the rear camera -- we gotta be somewhere interesting or have something to show when we call. That's at least half of the FaceTime equation, and Apple seems to know this. When the iPad comes out with a rear camera we will be sure of it.

I was FTing my brother today and while waiting for him to answer I thought I might better shave a little. If you use your iPod front camera as a mirror, you will see that they have thoughtfully reversed the image for you, so you can shave just like in a mirror. Same with the desktop. This must be old news, going back to iChat? Is it reversed on the other end?
post #50 of 64
Quote:

So they can sign to each other over video? I can see signing in person being ideal, but when you have an handheld communicating device youre already limiting your abilities with a device in hand and you have writing, a much more efficient method of communication for most uses. Id think all those who are not blind are on par with FaceTime usage.

Good point. So maybe the ideal device for signing will be a propped-up iPad. Bigger picture, and you can sit a bit further back and still see what your cosigner is saying.
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There really seems to be no unity between IM protocols the way there is with email protocols. I think Jabbers original goal was to create a single standard and Google is probably the largest user of Jabber/XMPP, but I dont think its bigger than other, proprietary IM protocols.

I know my contacts in Asia, East of India tend to use Yahoo, my contacts in India and Brasil use Skype and MSN, my contacts in Europe seem to use pretty much all of them, and in the US and Canada most tend to use AIM. Frankly, as much as I like Adium I hate that I have 8 accounts that need to be logged in to communicate with everyone I know via IM.

If a protocol can do video and audio, obviously it can also just be a voice call or send a basic instant message text, too,. Maybe one of Apples goals is to attack this issue from the other end with video and let the simpler stuff fall into place like an afterthought since trying to create a single open standard from the other way isnt quite working.
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Deaf people do, apparently.

Deaf people use SMS.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #53 of 64
Very very interesting....

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

post #54 of 64
Skype has some stupid leadership that needs ousting.

Nearly a year and no iPad app.

Compete with FaceTime? Idiots. Adopt FaceTime, work together, make great products.

Charging for what used to be free.

Charging for what should still be free (any sort of VOIP when you've already paid for the data).
post #55 of 64
9to5Mac has a post on Skype, Verizon, and the iPhone.

They claim it's "confirmation" of a Verizon iPhone, but they've locked commenting on the post and it's wretchedly ambiguous in its own right, so who knows.

Anyone have an explanation for it?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #56 of 64
Apple's Facetime stack is all composed of open source, and free, components. H.264 is the video, and AAC the sound. The licensing for these things are free at the user level, and cheap for companies using it. Once Apple publishes it all, anyone can put Facetime operability into their apps, including Skype.

Skype uses proprietary video and audio codecs. They are not open source, as far as I know. Now, if Skype switched to Facetime for delivery, they could do so through the Skype app, either as a choice -- cued by an incoming call in Facetime, it uses that, or in other conditions it may be better to use its own codecs -- or to make the new standard universal.

About five years ago, I wrote an e-mail to Jobs that he should buy Skype. He never answered me, the fool. What I had noticed was talking to relatives via iChat was frustrating, full of freezes, chattering, and picture loss, and Skype calls were much, much more dependable on many networks, and 100 times more people had Skype than iChat.

What counts for telephony? 1. Omnipresence on the network. At the moment, Skype is the leader, but there are many others. 2. If we have many software providers, then the standard in all video callers have to be compatible, and open.

Where are we now? Imagine the early days of the telephone, when many wires remained to be built, exchanges, switchboards and so on were developing many different standards. Regulation is necessary only to the extent that there should be a body that will stamp applications as "compatible with the network standard," or not. Those are the software video phones that will sell. Unless you want to speak via SSL, with some oddball video and audio codec -- which will make the conversation very private -- then the competition will come from GUI, implementation, and optimization.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Skype has some stupid leadership that needs ousting.

Nearly a year and no iPad app.

Compete with FaceTime? Idiots. Adopt FaceTime, work together, make great products.

Charging for what used to be free.

Charging for what should still be free (any sort of VOIP when you've already paid for the data).

Totally agree here, though I think they provide a valid service... they go after the simplicity market,l and I think they will indeed adopt Facetime. I think the "compete against" facetime is a mistaken rumor. There's just no point to it.

If you don't like what they do, you can just buy a cheap voip bridge and wire it to your house phone system and then use one of the dozens of voip providers. They are very competitive.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not sure if FaceTime has been released as open source yet. I know Steve said it would but they didn't do so right away. Submitting the protocols to ISO and licensing all take time. In the meanwhile Skype is charting their own strategy. They can't just sit around and wait for Apple to release it. When FaceTime really is open source maybe Skype will endorse it then. I wouldn't exactly label them as idiots. Which international messaging and VOIP platform did you invent by the way?

post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

yup, all my contacts domestic and abroad overwhelmingly use skype. The ability for me to call phones for such a low price abroad, is fantastic.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #60 of 64
There's another video calling software called Tango and that has iOS and Android apps. A couple of buddies of mine use it and it works good. Problem it's only device to device calls (no PC client).

It would be a smart business move for Skype to use Facetime standards in addition to their own. But as it shows with Tango, it doesnt really have to.

Quote:

I would ask then how many people are using Facetime actively? I betcha you have more friends using Skype than Facetime right now.
post #61 of 64
Years ago I paid $3 per minute to call home in the US from Germany to talk to my family at Christmas. Using Skype, I can make the same call at no cost (other than my ISP), computer-to-computer, and with video.
My wife (who is from Eastern Europe) and I talk daily to friends and associates in the UK, Germany, Spain, Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, and many locations in the US, usually with video. It is all reasonable quality. Not perfect, and there are sometimes glitches, but, hey, the cost is right.
As far as we are concerned, Skype is a great service. Maybe others are or will be as good or better, but Skype does a good job for us. Especially given our need for overseas capabilities.
We use Macs and iPhone and Touch, but we have never used FaceTime. So far just Skype. Maybe FaceTime will extend our capabilities, but we will never give up Skype.
post #62 of 64
Skype is even better now.

Newly released version tonight support video from an iPhone 4, 3Gs to other iPhones, PC's or MACs over wifi and 3G.

Facetime just supports video to other users of Facetime on Mac and iPhone 4 only, and only over 3G.

Skype is just better.
post #63 of 64
Yes,Skype become more and more popular now.And also using some add-ons(for example IMCapture) you can record any types of calls.
post #64 of 64
deleted
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Skype rumored to take on Apple's FaceTime at CES