or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Politically Correct Holiday Greeting

Politically Correct Holiday Greeting

post #1 of 67
(Got this in an email from my dad. Not sure of the source.)

I wanted to send some sort of holiday greeting to my friends, but it is so difficult in todays world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my attorneys, and on their advice I wish to say the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted Gregorian calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself/himself or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this message.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #2 of 67
While you gave appropriate disclaimers, I find fault with your claim that no trees or animals were harmed. I believe you only claim this due to the lack of thoroughness on your environmental review. I demand you allow me to conduct the next environmental review which will of course find fault with your actions and I demand and petition the court that you pay for my environmenta review as well.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 67
Anyone who would find fault with the phrase "Happy Holidays" (and there are many such people) is a worthless prick.
post #4 of 67
Amen to that.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 67
All I know is everyone who has said 'Happy Holidays' to me happens to be some sort of weirdo/borderline tosser.

So it does make you wonder.....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #6 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

All I know is everyone who has said 'Happy Holidays' to me happens to be some sort of weirdo/borderline tosser.

So it does make you wonder.....

Seems you don't hand with a cheery crowd if you don't hear Happy Holidays or perhaps Merry Christmas from at least one person who you like. Either that, or they don't like holidays that are happy?

What do they say? Viva la revolucion?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Seems you don't hand with a cheery crowd if you don't hear Happy Holidays or perhaps Merry Christmas from at least one person who you like. Either that, or they don't like holidays that are happy?

What do they say? Viva la revolucion?

Some say "Happy Holidays" - they are the oddballs I mentioned.

Others say "Happy Christmas"...they seem mostly ok
post #8 of 67
I wished everyone an Awesome Pagan Winter Festival and told them to Enjoy the Solstice (after the "Happy Holidays and all that fun stuff").

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #9 of 67
Quote:

Some say "Happy Holidays" - they are the oddballs I mentioned.

Others say "Happy Christmas"...they seem mostly ok

So Happy Holidays offends you? But, Happy/Merry Christmas does not?

One does not preclude the other in my opinion in every instance. There are those that are trying to go out of their way not to say Christmas, and they irritate many people. But just because someone says that should not make them a borderline Tosser/Weirdo.

Back on the original topic, I laughed at the politically correct greeting, but only because it was so far over the line as to be absolutely ridiculous.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I wished everyone an Awesome Pagan Winter Festival and told them to Enjoy the Solstice (after the "Happy Holidays and all that fun stuff").

Hope you enjoyed some time off of work and spent some quality time with family and others that you love. The nice part about this time of the year is that it takes things out of the normal grind for me and mixes them up a bit. Makes a nice break from the old year and give me time to relax and prepare for the new year. Hope you do the same.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

So Happy Holidays offends you? But, Happy/Merry Christmas does not?

Don't think I said that but don't let it bother you...
post #12 of 67
Quote:

Don't think I said that but don't let it bother you...

Thanks for the condescension. I'll try not to let that bother me. Since this is a two way conversation I assumed that asking clarifying questions was ok. \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

(Got this in an email from my dad. Not sure of the source.)

I wanted to send some sort of holiday greeting to my friends, but it is so difficult in todays world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my attorneys, and on their advice I wish to say the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted Gregorian calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself/himself or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this message.

Hmmm...no mention of retards, Sarah won't be Happy.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Hmmm...no mention of retards, Sarah won't be Happy.

Not politically correct. You are off the committee to write the next card.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #15 of 67
I find it hilarious when atheists demand the use of the word 'holidays' during Christmas.

It's no wonder they claim to be all about science. They slept through history class.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I find it hilarious when atheists demand the use of the word 'holidays' during Christmas.

It's no wonder they claim to be all about science. They slept through history class.

Talk about missing the point. No one demands the use of "happy holidays" except those who are sensitive to non-Christians out there. People like Muslims and Jews, who don't believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ as the son of God, but who also have holidays to celebrate. Other people like Taoists and Pagans, who believe the Winter Solstice is the most important event of the season. And yes, people like Atheists, who may wish to leave Christmas as a time for the giving and receiving of gifts and sharing time with family.

What's deplorable are the Christians who believe that the holiday season is ALL (100%) about THEM and don't want to allow anyone else reason to celebrate amongst their own beliefs. That's one of the most selfish things I've ever heard of. After all, "Happy Holidays" DOES NOT exclude them, so why the FUCK would they be bothered by the phrase?
post #17 of 67
Nice try. The debate around the MC/HH greetings revolves around stores banning the use of the phrase when addressing shoppers. When you are in a department store lineup with hundreds of dollars of Christmas gifts, it is ABSOLUTELY INSANE to ban store personnel from wishing shoppers a "Merry Christmas".

As your reply says, atheists have chosen to participate in Christmas time gift-giving (sans the real Christmas stuff), so why should the phrase 'Merry Christmas' offend them?

Edit: You would probably have a case if the phrase was "Holy" or "Blessed" Christmas. But as usual, you're just wrong.
post #18 of 67
Once again, you miss the point. Many of the people who advocate the use of the phrase "happy holidays" instead of Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah or Joyous Kwanzaa are themselves Christian. It has nothing to do with Atheism, and everything to do with sensitivity to those who don't believe in the "holy birth" yet wish to enjoy the holiday in their own way.
post #19 of 67
I'd like to add that although I'm an atheist who believes that Christ was a real man and an important teacher (one of a handful of the most important ever), I am not offended by the phrase "Merry Christmas" and tend to use it myself. But I'm not blind to the fact that we need to be sensitive to those who wish to hear a more secular greeting. I don't blame or judge those who do prefer the secular greeting, nor do I refuse to accommodate them.
post #20 of 67
Actually, it's you who has now twice missed the point of my original post.

Reread the post, and then think of the word 'atheist' and the etymology of the word 'holidays'.
post #21 of 67
Quote:

Actually, it's you who has now twice missed the point of my original post.

Reread the post, and then think of the word 'atheist' and the etymology of the word 'holidays'.

If I missed your point, then show me exactly where it's the atheists that are making the demand. Or was that just blind conjecture on your part?
post #22 of 67
Quote:

says Frank

Quote:

Nice try. The debate around the MC/HH greetings revolves around stores banning the use of the phrase when addressing shoppers. When you are in a department store lineup with hundreds of dollars of Christmas gifts, it is ABSOLUTELY INSANE to ban store personnel from wishing shoppers a "Merry Christmas".

Should have known, its all about the extracting the dollar, as it always is with the wingers.

Quote:

As your reply says, atheists have chosen to participate in Christmas time gift-giving (sans the real Christmas stuff), so why should the phrase 'Merry Christmas' offend them?

Nearly falling off my chair with laughter. Did anyone mention History Class?

Quote:

Edit: You would probably have a case if the phrase was "Holy" or "Blessed" Christmas. But as usual, you're just wrong.

No problem with the word Holy, I recall its a descendant from the word "Heile", (I did tell you that like 10 years ago) which is a direct reference to that big yellow shiny thing in the sky we all should be worshipping.

No problem, with the word Blessed. You certainly are Frank

!Merry Christmas!
post #23 of 67
You couldn't make this up!

Originally, a blessing, was a sprinkling of blood on pagan altars

History 101 Frank!

May you be blessed!

Back to the differentials........
post #24 of 67
Quote:

I really will quit soon.....I took up your challenge, lets look up the etymology of holiday!

O.E. haligdæg, from halig "holy" + dæg "day;

Its a great big celebration of the sun! (though i did say that 10 years ago too, to be fair)
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

You couldn't make this up!

Originally, a blessing, was a sprinkling of blood on pagan altars

History 101 Frank!

May you be blessed!

Back to the differentials........

DIFFEE-Q DIFFEE-Q AHHHHH!! DIFFEE-Q! Very glad I don't have to do those at the moment.

So, what's the line on Frank ignoring your etymology lesson because it contradicts his very narrow worldview? 2 to 1? Even odds?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #26 of 67
Quote:

DIFFEE-Q DIFFEE-Q AHHHHH!! DIFFEE-Q! Very glad I don't have to do those at the moment.

So, what's the line on Frank ignoring your etymology lesson because it contradicts his very narrow worldview? 2 to 1? Even odds?

I reckon P(Cognitive Dissonance)=1
post #27 of 67
If it was anybody but Marc I'd think they'd had too much egg nog.

Yes, I was referencing the irony of atheists supporting "holy day" greetings.

I'm still not seeing where your Sun God craziness fits into this.
Dictionary.com says its an Old English derivative around the year 900.
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

No problem with the word Holy, I recall its a descendant from the word "Heile", (I did tell you that like 10 years ago) which is a direct reference to that big yellow shiny thing in the sky...

Ah...didn't see the post above. I get your train of thought now. (Well, as much as one can...)

Though I'm going to need more than your "recollection" as proof of that.
post #29 of 67
Quote:

Ah...didn't see the post above. I get your train of thought now. (Well, as much as one can...)

Though I'm going to need more than your "recollection" as proof of that.

Yawn....

Quote:
from heile (the sun's ray) and krinw - krino 2919; judged by sunlight, i.e. tested as genuine (figuratively):--pure, sincere.

http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednameb...s/STRGRK15.htm
post #30 of 67
Imagine, Athiests wishing each other "Happy Sunshine Days" on the coldest darkest days of the year!

THE HORROR! What selfish bastards they are. I bet they're only saying it in the hope you'll spend your dollars in their shops.

Merry Sun-Rays Franky baby
post #31 of 67
And still, Frank666 hasn't responded about why he made the unfounded claim that it's atheists who are pushing people to use the (more) secular phrase.
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

People like Muslims and Jews, who don't believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ....

I think Muslims do believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.

Quote:

And still, Frank666 hasn't responded about why he made the unfounded claim that it's atheists who are pushing people to use the (more) secular phrase.

Ifaik, it is a greeting designed to be inclusive to several actual religions rather than a secular one.

Perhaps this is why Frank is unable to support it.
post #33 of 67
Quote:

I think Muslims do believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.

My bad. Thanks for the lesson. I didn't know Muslims believed in the immaculate conception, though I was aware they saw the man Jesus as a prophet, and I stand corrected.
Quote:
Ifaik, it is a greeting designed to be inclusive to several actual religions rather than a secular one.

Perhaps this is why Frank is unable to support it.

Which would make the question about Frank's association of the phrase with atheists even more pertinent.
post #34 of 67
Quote:

My bad. Thanks for the lesson. I didn't know Muslims believed in the immaculate conception, though I was aware they saw the man Jesus as a prophet, and I stand corrected.

Which would make the question about Frank's association of the phrase with atheists even more pertinent.

I do not believe the atheists are the ones pushing happy holidays over Merry Christmas. And honestly it does not matter who it is that is. There are many who use the phrases interchangably because they might be speaking of Christmas specifically or the entire holiday season depending on the conversation or the context. The people that irritate me are the ones that try to force others to exclude Merry Christmas intentionally by actually forbidding use of the phrase. The rest of this argument is stupid semantics and not many people care enough to be swayed by what one or the other thinks about the etymology of the words. It is what they associate with the words that they care about, not what you think the words mean. \
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #35 of 67
What's funny is the people who claim there's a war on christmas behave the least like christians in the first place. Methinks they doth protest too much. Maybe after worshiping at the altar of their selfish money god all year long, they feel the need to go the extra mile to show how FUCKING CHRISTIANY they really are.

We see through your facade, hypocrites. You make newborn baby Jesus cry (or more like 6 month old Jesus since he was born in April anyway, pagan festival usurpers).

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #36 of 67
Quote:

What's funny is the people who claim there's a war on christmas behave the least like christians in the first place. Methinks they doth protest too much. Maybe after worshiping at the altar of their selfish money god all year long, they feel the need to go the extra mile to show how FUCKING CHRISTIANY they really are.

We see through your facade, hypocrites. You make newborn baby Jesus cry (or more like 6 month old Jesus since he was born in April anyway, pagan festival usurpers).

Wait... if they make Baby Jesus cry and they are hypocrites then surely it means you are agreeing with the Baby Jesus????

Or do you think that Xians are hypocrites for departing from the Baby Jesus but Baby Jesus was wrong too??? And if so doesn't this make them right for being hypocrites?

Or do you actually AGREE with the Baby Jesus? If so are YOU not the hypocrite???

Confused...

post #37 of 67
Quote:

What's funny is the people who claim there's a war on christmas behave the least like christians in the first place. Methinks they doth protest too much. Maybe after worshiping at the altar of their selfish money god all year long, they feel the need to go the extra mile to show how F***ING CHRISTIANY they really are.

If you are addressing me please feel free to address my specific points of hypocrisy.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #38 of 67
My initial comment was levelled at the two self-proclaimed atheists in this thread who raised the 'Happy Holidays' talk in the first place.

But unless you live under a rock, you will be aware that atheist organizations are running transit ad campaigns in major U.S. and Canadian cities this December, that public schools are turned into Christian speech no-fly zones during Christmas, and that for several years nativity scenes have been forced out of as many public areas as possible by well-funded legal campaigns. Links are easy to find for all those examples.

But Tonton and BR claim this is all happening because some Christians don't want to offend non-Christians.
This is further proof that atheism leads you to believe weirder stuff than most normal people.

Furthermore, 'Happy Holidays' is the kind of catch-all, dismissive, arrogant kind of nonsense we've come to expect from atheists. If you truly respect someone, you'll take five minutes to learn the greeting that applies to them: Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Eid/Eid Mubarak.

If you are uncomfortable with religious expressions, no-one is forcing you to say anything.
post #39 of 67
Quote:

But Tonton and BR claim this is all happening because some Christians don't want to offend non-Christians.

No, we don't. Improve your comprehension skills, and you will know that BR and I claim that this is all happening because some people, including some Christians, don't want to offend non-Christians.
post #40 of 67
Curious... Sego, do you personally believe in the immaculate conception?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Politically Correct Holiday Greeting