or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Burn Failures using iTunes

Burn Failures using iTunes

post #1 of 8
About week ago, could not completely burn CD-R on iTunes...was able to burn two out of 15 attempts. The error message "Attempt to burn a disc failed. Burn failed due to a medium write error." No such problems since bought this Mac little over 3 yrs ago (yes off warranty)

I am using Sony CD-R's and have tried using different speeds such as 2X and 4X. Have generally used Sony CD-R's without any problems until last week.

Am using iMac 27 OS X 10.5.8 with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. The SuperDrive is OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A.

Any help appreciated!
post #2 of 8
Maybe you just happened to get a bad batch of CD's ?
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 8
No...have used same batch for several months without any problem until week ago.
post #4 of 8
A burner dieing after 3 years isn't surprising. It could easily be a bad batch of discs or a malfunctioning drive. Moving parts wear out, and to make matters worse, optical drives are open systems with removable platters. This makes them fairly prone to failure.
post #5 of 8
Strange but cannot backup data on CD using Toast Titanium?
post #6 of 8
Was able to backup data using Sony CD-RW with no problems...ALSO used CD-RW and able to record iTunes playlist with no problem...just CD-Rs not work!

Any help appreciated!
post #7 of 8
Try that batch of failing discs on another mac using the same software. The symptoms you're seeing could be from either a flakey drive or a bad batch of media.

I've seen drives fail in a manner in which they would only work with some media. Even worse, sometimes they've failed in a manner where they can read and write but then those discs are useless on any other drive. That one really blew my mind. I had to rescue as much data as possible via the failed drive and then rewrite the discs on the replacement drive.

In the early days of recordable CDs, there were numerous compatibility problems but I haven't seen much of that lately. The + vs - thing isn't much of an issue anymore. It still could be the problem though so who knows...
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Try that batch of failing discs on another mac using the same software. The symptoms you're seeing could be from either a flakey drive or a bad batch of media.

I've seen drives fail in a manner in which they would only work with some media. Even worse, sometimes they've failed in a manner where they can read and write but then those discs are useless on any other drive. That one really blew my mind. I had to rescue as much data as possible via the failed drive and then rewrite the discs on the replacement drive.

In the early days of recordable CDs, there were numerous compatibility problems but I haven't seen much of that lately. The + vs - thing isn't much of an issue anymore. It still could be the problem though so who knows...

Took to Apple Store and when tested, SuperDrive failed...so had to replace since warranty expired 3 months ago...c'est la vie! Thanks for advice.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Burn Failures using iTunes