or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MBA or MBP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MBA or MBP

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I need help deciding on MBA or MBP..I will be using it for picture and video editing (nothing complex tho), internet, music and word processing. The reason I cant decide is because I like the weight (or lack of),and instant on of the MBA. If I get the largest ssd and have other storage to store stuff will the MBA work, or will I be unhappy down the road due to small SSD ? I also thot maybe I should wait and see what the MBP refresh consist of. Maybe it will be lighter and smaller form factor etc.. Also I will be taking this to work with me everyday

Thank you
post #2 of 9
It's worth holding out for high speed ports like Light Peak because then it won't matter if you have low-capacity internal storage. A bus-powered drive will be as fast as an internal.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post

I need help deciding on MBA or MBP..I will be using it for picture and video editing (nothing complex tho), internet, music and word processing. The reason I cant decide is because I like the weight (or lack of),and instant on of the MBA. If I get the largest ssd and have other storage to store stuff will the MBA work, or will I be unhappy down the road due to small SSD ? I also thot maybe I should wait and see what the MBP refresh consist of. Maybe it will be lighter and smaller form factor etc.. Also I will be taking this to work with me everyday

Thank you

The MBA is the more portable of the two. It is literally a lightweight laptop computer. The MBP has a much more potent CPU/GPU.

For image and video editing you need very capable processing power if you don't want to wait before the machine is finished everytime, as well as adequate storage. The MBA does not provide either. The MBP does.

So if this machine is your only one, get the MBP.

If you also have a capable desktop machine at home, a PC or (i)Mac, you can get an MBA, because with FREE remote desktop management software you can remotely take over and operate the desktop of that other machine as if you were sitting in front of it. So you can do all your heavy editing and rendering stuff remotely on your home desktop machine.

FREE remote desktop management software is also ideal if someone needs your help with their computer. (Or v.v.!). You can see what's wrong or happening on their machine, while they can see what you're doing on it.

With FREE remote desktop management software you can also stream your videos, slideshows, or presentations to the desktop/screen of another Mac, PC, or Linux machine.

And, finally, with FREE remote desktop management software you can transfer VERY BIG files – like e.g. dozens of GBs – directly and securely from your MBA or MBP to any other Mac, PC, or Linux machine.

PM me if you want to know what that FREE remote desktop management software is, because Marvin here thinks it's spam if I mention it in this post.
post #4 of 9
Is lightpeak ready? I know they showed it off at IDF but it still strikes me as not quite there for next MB refresh. Intel said no lightpeak demos at CES and there's no native support in Sandy Bridge.

Doesn't mean they can't roll it out for Apple anyway.

As for MBA vs MBP...ah...assuming a Sandy Bridge update for the MBP 13" early 2011 that's what I would go with.

PS Rokcet what's up with the Teamviewer links?
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Is lightpeak ready? I know they showed it off at IDF but it still strikes me as not quite there for next MB refresh. Intel said no lightpeak demos at CES and there's no native support in Sandy Bridge.

That would make sense though as it's not new any more. They demoed it at CES 2010 , are shipping controllers to manufacturers (Sony, Nokia, Avid, Lacie etc) now and products will ship in 2011.

They also won't need native optical support in the CPU, just support in the chipset for now. This may be why it will start at 10Gbps and only ramp up to 100Gbps down the line.

No-one can really say what the deal is for now as they are under NDA. I personally hope they go with combined USB3/LightPeak ports.

If the Intel chipsets only have USB2, no one will be happy about it. If they only have USB 3, it will be ok but would seriously harm Light Peak uptake if it arrives late as people will buy USB 3 devices. If they go combined Light Peak/USB 2, I think that could also work but people who own USB 3 devices won't be too happy and there's not much advantage to doing this.

I think it has to be combined USB 3/LP. Interestingly, this kind of port could replace display outputs too and this is something I've always wanted to see happen. Get rid of eSATA, ethernet, FW, DVI, VGA, Mini-DP, HDMI and just have a bunch of the same ports.

The great advantage to this is that you don't have laptops with ports you never use. More often than not, you will have some port on your machine you have no use for and others that you need more of. If you have 4 of the combo ports, problem solved and you could run 4 external screens from a laptop, possibly more if they allow chaining.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

PS Rokcet what's up with the Teamviewer links?

They were part of the solution of the OP's problem, but Marvin cut them and issued me an infraction because he considers them spam. So be careful what you say. Marvin may not like it.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

They were part of the solution of the OP's problem, but Marvin cut them and issued me an infraction because he considers them spam. So be careful what you say. Marvin may not like it.

Fortunately most other users on the forum don't repeatedly and excessively post the same links even when it's entirely off-topic. I made it clear that when the OP specifically requests remote desktop software you can recommend it in a polite way. This thread isn't even close, yet you decided to format out the usual raft of links. The following is an example of where it's ok:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=111307

The OP requests that type of software and you post one discrete link. What you did above was ridiculous and totally irrelevant to the thread. It's a simple rule to follow. If the OP or other users do not mention remote desktop software, posting links to that software is off-topic and spamming. It's not rokcet science.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally hope they go with combined USB3/LightPeak ports.

From your lips to Steve Jobs' ears. That sure would be nice even if Intel is tepid on USB3.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What you did above was ridiculous and totally irrelevant to the thread.

A conveniently uncheckable opinion because you cut it.



Normal people would have added their comment that they considered it "ridiculous and totally irrelevant to the thread", and motivated it. Or whatever their opinion was. But nooo, you had to crack the whip and cut what you didn't like!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MBA or MBP