or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Kindle sales strong, but many buyers already own Apple's iPad

Amazon Kindle sales strong, but many buyers already own Apple's iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Apple fans on here just don't understand the kindle model.

Kindle is all about boosting amazon book sales so they take over the ebook market before it ever really takes off. There strategy is hugely successful. They don't sell a kindle device purely for big profit margins like apple do with the ipad. The kindle store model is far superior to iBooks because of the range of devices it is available on and the greater range of ebooks available. In addition the kindle as a reader is so much better than an ipad, even if you discount the amazing screen you have a device that is lighter, smaller and with insanely long battery life - kindle wins hands down as a reader. In addition to this kindle 3 is the best selling product in amazon history!

Apple seemed to have realised this too - as another poster mentioned they are no longer pushing ebooks in their ipad adverts.

The two devices are completely different, I don't know why appleinsider is even reporting on it.
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You can not really compare an lcd to e-ink. There is no comparison. If you want to read, e-ink is far superior. The good news for Apple is that they have done much more damage to the netbook market than I think they anticipated.

Apple clearly misjudged what products they were actually competing against, but manage to come out strong anyway.

I must be way different that you or the people Amazon interviewed. I gave my Kindle to my brother-in-law because it made no sense to have two devices. If I actually did read in direct sunlight, sure I'd need the Kindle -- but I don't. In fact, I do a large portion of my reading in bed and I prefer having the light off so I don't disturb my wife. Battery? They aren't the same here either, but I charge my iPad every night so the battery life is a non-issue. eInk, sure it's nice, but not enough of a difference to keep an extra device around. I'm quite used to the LCD since I'm on it for my web browsing, email. etc. I do use the Kindle app for all my reading though, I started there, like it, and again why have two of something when one will do? The Kindle app is my single long term repository of books and will continue to be that even though I no longer have a Kindle.

I understand those that do outdoor reading and aren't used to daily charging would still prefer the Kindle, but for me getting rid of an extra device was the obvious thing to do.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Well, that about says it all!
Bezos would have you believe if you lust after the iPad it's alright to buy a dinky Kindle too.

I picked up the un-dinky Kindle DX because there was no way I was going to use a 6" screen after getting used to my iPad. But I don't use my iPad for books anymore - everything else it's great for, but for reading the e-Ink screen is so much sharper/nicer - and when my parents were in town recently, my dad kept asking to borrow the Kindle to read on.

I'm certainly curious if the iPad 2 will have a doubled screen res since that might make it sharp enough to swing the pendulum there for reading as well. Uh, indoors, anyway.

That aside, Amazon needs to add book-related features like ePub support for library books if they want to remain in the game long term. I know numerous people who bought or are thinking of getting the Nook for that alone - it's really like movies, you really don't want to own every one. Or offer cheaper 2-week $0.99 book rentals, for that matter. Bezos has other book-reader competitors, and hopefully he/Amazon aren't thinking that the e-Ink screen alone is going to save their collective a$$es just because it's an easier read than the current iPad.
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReaderGuy View Post

I must be way different that you or the people Amazon interviewed. I gave my Kindle to my brother-in-law because it made no sense to have two devices. If I actually did read in direct sunlight, sure I'd need the Kindle -- but I don't. In fact, I do a large portion of my reading in bed and I prefer having the light off so I don't disturb my wife. ...<snip>

Funny, my wife couldn't stand the LED backlight and would have me turn on the regular lamp, at which point e-ink seemed like the obvious solution since it's sharper to read on. But hey, that's why we have all these companies fighting for our $$$ with different products. And I'd really like to see a single device with a screen that was good enough for everything, the tech just isn't quite there today for me. YMM(obviously)V.
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

The two devices are completely different, I don't know why appleinsider is even reporting on it.

They are both expensive enough that there's a chance you'd pick one or the other. Some people will buy a Kindle and an iPad but I personally wouldn't when the kindle app is available for it. The Kindle is 1/4 of the price though so they are not likely to compete directly if you want an ebook reader alone.
post #46 of 47
Benfords Law prove Amazons sales rankings arent rigged, at least for one seller.
http://io9.com/5722187/a-demonstration-of-benfords-law
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #47 of 47
I refused to buy a Kindle because I thought an Ipad would be more useful. I see no need to buy both...especially when I have a kindle app of Ipad. It works great! I use that instead. Amazon was smart to make that app. I now purchase more books from Amazon than I had ever bough before.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon Kindle sales strong, but many buyers already own Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon Kindle sales strong, but many buyers already own Apple's iPad