or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Safari keeps freezing-how to get out of it?

Safari keeps freezing-how to get out of it?

post #1 of 48
Safari keeps freezing on certain pages, ball spins around and I don't have mouse control. Is there a way to quit the app or restart if i don't have mouse control without having to just press the power button to turn it off?
In windows you can at least hit control-alt-delete.
Thanks
post #2 of 48
Install Click2Flash or Click2Plugin.

Maybe also update Flash to the 10.2 beta.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 48
This isn't flash related, I have glimmer blocker.
What I want to know is what to do if this happens in safari? Or anything else actually. is there a way to quit that app or restart the computer without having to shut the power button off?
post #4 of 48
Command-Option-Esc brings up the "Force-Quit" window... you'll need either mouse or keyboard functionality to select the App you want to quit though.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

This isn't flash related, I have glimmer blocker.
What I want to know is what to do if this happens in safari? Or anything else actually. is there a way to quit that app or restart the computer without having to shut the power button off?

Yeah, just Force Quit it in the Dock or the Apple menu.

Why in the world are you still using GlimmerBlocker? Get Safari 5 and the Adblock extension. It'll run much better.

post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Command-Option-Esc brings up the "Force-Quit" window... you'll need either mouse or keyboard functionality to select the App you want to quit though.

I thought I tried that and it didn't work. I will try that again if it happens again. I have keyboard functionality, just not the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, just Force Quit it in the Dock or the Apple menu.

Why in the world are you still using GlimmerBlocker? Get Safari 5 and the Adblock extension. It'll run much better.

I can't force quit in the dock because the mouse doesn't function.
I was using adblock and someone convinced me to switch to glimmerblocker for some reason, I think because it supposedly worked better. I'll switch back and see what happens.
post #7 of 48
I'm concerned by your report of a frozen mouse cursor. Are you sure you're seeing this in other apps when Safari is stalled? You can't even move the spinning beach ball? What are you doing to escape this problem now?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #8 of 48
Apple has a useful list of shortcuts to use:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

When the UI locks up, your only option usually is to do a force logout (Option-Shift-Command-Q) before you have to do a hard reset.

You can also tap the power button once to sleep to make sure it isn't writing anything to the drive before powering down.

Does Safari freeze up on the same pages every time and does it only happen using Safari and no other programs?
post #9 of 48
Safari should not have the ability to completely lock up the UI, so I'd want to know for sure if that's what's happening here. "Pulling the plug" either literally or by forcing the Mac to shut down can be deadly for hard drive directories. That could even be the source of the problem.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm concerned by your report of a frozen mouse cursor. Are you sure you're seeing this in other apps when Safari is stalled? You can't even move the spinning beach ball? What are you doing to escape this problem now?

Basically I get a twirling ball , the same kind that shows when a youtube video has tried loading (not the beach ball) and moving the mouse does nothing (no arrow at all). This only happens when opening a web page in safari. The only escape I have found is to press the power button on the Mini in until the computer shuts down and then I restart it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple has a useful list of shortcuts to use:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

When the UI locks up, your only option usually is to do a force logout (Option-Shift-Command-Q) before you have to do a hard reset.

You can also tap the power button once to sleep to make sure it isn't writing anything to the drive before powering down.

Does Safari freeze up on the same pages every time and does it only happen using Safari and no other programs?

I tried tapping the button to make it sleep but it didn't help. It only happens with safari and not a specific page.

Quote:

Safari should not have the ability to completely lock up the UI, so I'd want to know for sure if that's what's happening here. "Pulling the plug" either literally or by forcing the Mac to shut down can be deadly for hard drive directories. That could even be the source of the problem.

Basically the mouse becomes unusable, its not the apple beach ball though, it is a spinning wheel with spaces in between if that makes sense.
post #11 of 48
The cursor behavior you describe is unfamiliar to me. At this point, I'm concerned about all those hard shutdowns. Do you know how to run Disk Utility on your hard drive?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #12 of 48
Quote:

The cursor behavior you describe is unfamiliar to me. At this point, I'm concerned about all those hard shutdowns. Do you know how to run Disk Utility on your hard drive?

Yes, I will run it to make sure everything is ok, thanks for the reminder.
The cursor is more of a web page thing, but if you've never had issues with youtube you may have never seen it. At times a video will pause like its thinking or trying to catch up and there is a spinning icon
post #13 of 48
Have you tried simply waiting it out?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #14 of 48
Quote:

Have you tried simply waiting it out?

Yup, no luck
post #15 of 48
I think someone else has already suggested this, but what version of Flash are you running?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #16 of 48
Quote:

I think someone else has already suggested this, but what version of Flash are you running?

The latest, I checked
post #17 of 48
Your description of that spinning wheel conjures up an image of the spinning wheel on the grey background that you get when you start up, just before the full color login screen. That would suggest there is an issue with the HD. Did you run SMART reporter in Disk Utilities yet? Repaired permissions?

If I were you my very first order of business at this point would be to ensure I have a good backup data set!
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Your description of that spinning wheel conjures up an image of the spinning wheel on the grey background that you get when you start up, just before the full color login screen. That would suggest there is an issue with the HD. Did you run SMART reporter in Disk Utilities yet? Repaired permissions?

If I were you my very first order of business at this point would be to ensure I have a good backup data set!

That is a good description of the icon. I'm starting to wonder if glimmer blocker is the issue though, maybe it is trying to block a flash ad and having issues?
I repaired permissions with YASU but haven't run disk utility yet-will do when I get home from work
post #19 of 48
Quote:

haven't run disk utility yet-will do when I get home from work

You could do that from work, or from wherever you are, and not have to wait until you get home, with a certain, FREE, but not to be named* remote desktop management application.

*because considered spam by Marvin.
But I'll tell you if you PM me.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You could do that from work, or from wherever you are, and not have to wait until you get home, with a certain, FREE, but not to be named* remote desktop management application.

*because considered spam by Marvin.
But I'll tell you if you PM me.

No thanks, my computer is off when go to work
post #21 of 48
Don't worry, we can wait if you can.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #22 of 48
Quote:

No thanks, my computer is off when go to work

The fatal flaw in Rokcet's campaign to get everyone using the same remote desktop software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist

FREE, but not to be named* remote desktop management application. *because considered spam by Marvin.

It's spam when it's off-topic like now as the OP didn't ask for it. If you absolutely have to tell everyone about it, why not just put it in your signature? No links though, people can Google it. A phrase like 'Recommended Free Remote Desktop software - TeamViewer' would suffice and hopefully reduce the need to pollute every thread with it.
post #23 of 48
OK...
I trashed glimmer blocker
I ran verify hard drive and it found no problems
I ran permissions and it gave me this warning:

warning) SUID file "system/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Is this a problem?
post #24 of 48
Quote:

warning) SUID file "system/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Is this a problem?

Nah that's just your remote desktop software. Given that it's not just the UI locking up, it does point to a hard drive fault. These aren't always easy to show up in a diagnostic program.

When a Flash movie loads, it caches files to your hard drive and that may be causing it to lock. Try running the erase free space option in Disk Utility and see if you get a similar lockup (choose the drive > erase > erase free space).
post #25 of 48
OK, when you get the spinning pinwheel of death in Safari, try switching to another app, like Finder, using the keyboard (Command + Tab). Then try force quitting. I had this problem too & it was an issue with Flash. I use the Flash uninstaller, then reinstalled the latest version and everything has been OK since.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #26 of 48
Quote:

Nah that's just your remote desktop software. Given that it's not just the UI locking up, it does point to a hard drive fault. These aren't always easy to show up in a diagnostic program.

When a Flash movie loads, it caches files to your hard drive and that may be causing it to lock. Try running the erase free space option in Disk Utility and see if you get a similar lockup (choose the drive > erase > erase free space).

I didn't even know I had remote desktop software. If I do I certainly don't use it, is there a way to disable it?
I'll try that erase free space

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

OK, when you get the spinning pinwheel of death in Safari, try switching to another app, like Finder, using the keyboard (Command + Tab). Then try force quitting. I had this problem too & it was an issue with Flash. I use the Flash uninstaller, then reinstalled the latest version and everything has been OK since.

Another good option, getting lots of good advice from all of you, it is appreciated
post #27 of 48
Quote:

I didn't even know I had remote desktop software. If I do I certainly don't use it, is there a way to disable it?

It's Apple's own software Apple Remote Desktop (ARD). It can actually a security risk because it runs software as root:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1341.../ardagent.html

You can delete it using the steps noted in that link but you can also leave it. Either way it's not likely going to be a problem.
post #28 of 48
Quote:

It's Apple's own software Apple Remote Desktop (ARD). It can actually a security risk because it runs software as root:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1341.../ardagent.html

You can delete it using the steps noted in that link but you can also leave it. Either way it's not likely going to be a problem.

I saw this comment about it but I guess Apple changed the layout in system preferences because I don't see anything listed in sharing as simply Apple Remote Desktop. Maybe they fixed the vulnerability in 10.6 as well?

>You don't need to turn ARDAgent into an archive to avoid this security hole. The easiest way to protect yourself from this vulnerability is to turn on Apple Remote Desktop in the Sharing Preferences (System Preferences > Sharing > Services). It's counter-intuitive, but by turning on Apple Remote Desktop, the system performs additional checks and will not allow any shell scripts to run. Try it, it won't work.<
post #29 of 48
FWIW, remote desktop is found in the Sharing preference pane and is called Screen Sharing.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #30 of 48
Quote:

FWIW, remote desktop is found in the Sharing preference pane and is called Screen Sharing.

Do you think it should be turned on?
post #31 of 48
Quote:

There is also (in the same pane) a selection for "Remote Desktop" ... so... is it the same thing? or a different thing?
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

There is also (in the same pane) a selection for "Remote Desktop" ... so... is it the same thing? or a different thing?

You mean "Remote Management?" The distinction is lost on me. Even the descriptions in the preference pane are virtually identical. Maybe someone can explain the differences.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #33 of 48
Quote:

Do you think it should be turned on?

Not unless you need to use it...
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #34 of 48
The comment in the security threat article said turning it on negates the threat although it doesn't make sense to me. i definitely don't use it.

I've done everything everyone mentioned here-
verified disk utility (no problems found)
repaired permissions
erased free space on HD
uninstalled and reinstalled flash player
trashed glimmer blocker and use adblocker extension instead
I also trashed my cookies and I'm running techtool deluxe right now

So far so good, safari seems snappier and no twirling ball yet. Now thanks to you guys I know how to get out of it without shutting down the computer
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaford321 View Post

damn the twirling ball. happy new years. good luck on your repairs.

Thanks, you too
I think the problem is gone, at least for now
post #36 of 48
Safari had problems loading some pages intermittently, just basically stopped working.
I disabled adblocker and now its working great.

First glimmerblocker and now adblocker. I think I'm just going to leave safari alone and not install anything to it.
post #37 of 48
It just froze again and none of those keyboard combos worked at all. I had to turn the computer off and restart it. Bizarre
post #38 of 48
I suspect a hardware issue of some sort. It really should be impossible for Safari to honk up the entire operating system and force a shutdown.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #39 of 48
Quote:

I suspect a hardware issue of some sort. It really should be impossible for Safari to honk up the entire operating system and force a shutdown.

Techtool and Disk first aid found nothing wrong, do you think I should buy Disk Warrior?
post #40 of 48
Quote:

Techtool and Disk first aid found nothing wrong, do you think I should buy Disk Warrior?

It sounds like you've already covered that possible issue (the hard drive). Am I right in understanding that it ran for a couple of weeks without an issue?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Safari keeps freezing-how to get out of it?