or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM struggling to fix PlayBook tablet battery issues, analyst says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM struggling to fix PlayBook tablet battery issues, analyst says - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

...doesn't mean that QNX isn't in the small battery embedded devices.

Ill bite. What are these handheld devices that are using QNX so we can make a comparison?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ill bite. What are these handheld devices that are using QNX so we can make a comparison?

I have listed a few on this thread.
post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

That's why RIM bought TAT.

TAT is an interesting purchase with promise. The question is whether Cascades is really a decent framework to build on. Either way it beats the hell out of relying on Air. If I were them I'd delay the launch just to integrate Cascades and dump adobe as a partner even if cost a year delay.

I'd have to think Qt is much better given Nokia was shopping for a UI company and all three are scandinavian companies. Never played with Cascades personally.
post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

That's why RIM bought TAT.

RIM bought TAT because RIM finally realized they don't have the proper internal talent to develop a cohesive user interface that ties together their growing number of devices. They need fresh eyes to modernize both OS 6 and the new QNX OS. Neither are where they need to be in order to compete with Android, iOS, WebOS and WP7 in the coming years.
post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

RIM bought TAT because RIM finally realized they don't have the proper internal talent to develop a cohesive user interface that ties together their growing number of devices. They need fresh eyes to modernize both OS 6 and the new QNX OS. Neither are where they need to be in order to compete with Android, iOS, WebOS and WP7 in the coming years.

RIM is lucky they have a massive corporate following around the world. Corporates being what they are, tend to be slow to change. Blackberries aren't going away, but RIM will sit behind Android and iOS for the next few years. As for WebOS and WP7, I'm not too convinced they can become the third platform after Android and iOS. It could be a bum fight between RIM and WP7. In any case, I'm starting to care less and less. Looks like it will be iOS for me for the next few years, it's the only sane choice. I jailbreak so I get little tidbits of customisation that I need (not piracy).
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ill bite. What are these handheld devices that are using QNX so we can make a comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

I have listed a few on this thread.

But you didn't. I included all your posts to this thread (below) and highlighted them in red.

You supplied some vaguely related information about old or special devices that are not available to mortals.

I tried to find specs, specifically:

battery performance for QNX handheld or mobile devices

and the only relevant information I could find was related to discussion of the PlayBook -- and its unknown battery performance.


If you want to be treated seriously on these forums, when you take a position that is not supported by common knowledge, and are challenged on that position -- you should provide direct citations to support your position;

I, for one, would like to see you post some links to specific battery performance specs for a few
contemporary QNX handheld devices!

You say QNX has a solid record of good battery performance -- let's see it!



Here are those links, annotated:

Your Link --->http://onqpl.blogspot.com/2010/05/30...nger-into.html

Reminisce of a reference platform of the late 1990s and PR about a military handheld radio of 2007.

Your Link --->http://eqip.openqnx.com/ipaq_bsp/embed_intro.html

Instructions on how to imbed QNX into Compaq's iPAQ handheld device

Your Link --->http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_slates_taxonomy.html

A look at all sorts of tablets, pads and slates (2002)

Your Link --->http://www.qnx.com/company/careers/opportunities/

QNX Job Opportunity web site listing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Plenty of "mobile" stuff are embedded with QNX without a large battery --- from handheld military radios to highend logitech universal remotes.

Your Link --->http://onqpl.blogspot.com/2010/05/30...nger-into.html

QNX made a demo of running their OS in the compaq ipaq a million years ago.

Your Link --->http://eqip.openqnx.com/ipaq_bsp/embed_intro.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

At the Rogers event, it was clearly stated by QNX that they were only running a single core for the browser for the moment (because it was ported by the Torch browser team, not by QNX themselves).

Shaw Wu has no idea what he was talking about --- because he is blaming it on QNX. Plenty of embedded low-powered battery operated stuff are done with QNX.

If the RIM Playbook does indeed have a battery life issue --- then it is (1) adobe flash and (2) fast dual core cpu --- nothing to do with QNX itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

The resource heaviness is an adobe flash problem --- which is really a website designer problem. Remember the playbook vs. ipad browser video where they show html5 animation and notice how slow the ipad was.

The same idiot that designs a website with adobe flash that requires a dual-core CPU in order to view smoothly ---- is going to design the same website with HTML5 animation that requires a dual-core CPU.

You don't need to wait for another decade for the need of dual core cpu. There are plenty of idiots that will code their websites with all kinds of crazy HTML5 graphics that requires a fast dual core cpu with gpu hardware accel. browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

QNX used to have alternating CEO's between the two founders. One guy is the CEO and the other guy is the president --- and they flipped the positions every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Large number of enterprise customers got their Playbook for testing 6 weeks after they originally announced it --- news would have leaked out anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

I disagree with you because it is QNX themselves that is doing the implementation, not some 3rd party QNX consultant.

Plenty of handheld QNX devices out there --- from the ones I linked previously like the compaq ipaq to full-sized rugged tablets used on the factory floors. Compaq have been gone for like a decade. This rugged tablet article is 7 years old.

Your Link --->http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_slates_taxonomy.html

Hell, if you go to the QNX website, they are hiring people to embed QNX for handheld point and shoot cameras.

Your Link --->http://www.qnx.com/company/careers/opportunities/

Just because most people never heard of QNX being embedded inside these things, doesn't mean that they aren't.



All you need is one guy that leaks the news. The website mobilityinsider.com was shut down by RIM because they showed a short video of the RIM Playbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

But even RIM talked about how unlikely it is to play a HD video on the background while running 6-7 apps. You can do it with the Playbook, but it doesn't mean you are actually going to do it in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

There are a million items that haven't been shown --- like it was never demonstrated in portrait mode, it never showed universal search, it never showed how you pair it with the blackberry, how it still doesn't have a finished browser.

If it's delayed, it's delayed for a million other reasons that we already know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Apple also settled with the SEC on backdating --- might as well asked Steve Jobs to step down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

You might as well said that Palm bought the wrong company (Be Inc engineers) years ago --- because that went nowhere. Palm should have bought QNX years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Not the OS' fault if apps don't behave well in the background. Go to the RIM documentations, they tell you the exact same thing as Apple --- when your app goes to the background, save your state so that resources are not wasted.

Even in the Playbook demo videos, a couple of them talked about the possibility of RIM putting a user preference option on their video player --- allowing the end-user to choose whether to pause the video in the background, reduce the framerate of the video in the background or play the video at full framerate in the background.



How would you know it's not already been done by QNX? For business reasons, companies don't usually advertise what their RTOS is running inside. I am just showing you stuff we know of and a $200-300 Logitech universal remote is pretty highend. QNX's previous owner is Harman Kardon and they used to sell QNX-based off-market handheld navigation devices under the Harman/Becker brand.

I am not really arguing about your comments. I am arguing about Shaw Wu's comments --- which he got stuck with the original press release when RIM bought QNX and all he thought was cars, cars and cars --- which is totally wrong. Since the dawn of time, handheld devices have struggled with battery life --- and QNX has been in these markets for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

There are plenty of logic behind it. A decade ago, people had been comparing BeOS vs. QNX. Palm bought BeOS that runs on x86 vs. QNX was already running on ARM processors at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Even if it's delayed --- it's delayed for a million other reasons (like how the Playbook was never shown in portrait mode). Shaw Wu got stuck with the original RIM press release in April and all he thought of QNX was cars, cars and cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

That's why RIM bought TAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

So far, we have ONE wall street analyst --- who totally misunderstood the whole QNX being required a car battery --- saying that battery life is a problem AND will require major rewriting of the OS. Just because QNX likes to point out that the biggest router in the world uses QNX and that over 200 cars have QNX on their telematics systems --- doesn't mean that QNX isn't in the small battery embedded devices.

So far, Wall Street analysts have been shown to be clueless on the QNX purchase. First they bought that this was about integrating Blackberries with auto dashboards. Then they thought that this was going to take years because the Playbook wasn't demo'ed initially.

The problem may not be much of a problem and it may be eliminated by just having a final build of the browser with both cores turn on. RIM bought the Torch browser team and they are not part of the QNX people --- that's why the browser never was dual-core from the start.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM struggling to fix PlayBook tablet battery issues, analyst says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM struggling to fix PlayBook tablet battery issues, analyst says