or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's iTunes rental service believed 10% the size of Netflix

Apple's iTunes rental service believed 10% the size of Netflix - Page 2

post #41 of 48
The AppleTV wouldn't have sold a million units if it weren't for Netflix- no surprise here.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/netflix-...-the-year/8161
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Actually TV Shows rentals are in iTunes USA ONLY.
You can't rent anywhere in the world it does check your location.

Yes, TV show rentals are USA only, but movie rentals are available in several countries.

And you're absolutely wrong on the second part. All you need is a US iTunes account and you can rent US Movies and TV shows in Afghanistan, if you've got an internet connection there. I know, because I've done it (well in Hong Kong, not in Afghanistan). iTunes does NOT check your location when you rent. All they check is your iTunes login.

Netflix DOES check IP for location, so in order to use Netflix overseas you need to use a proxy.
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You've just eliminated Canada!

Well... Canada hardly counts...
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I wish Netflix was global, I really do. Here in the UK the biggest online catalogue is iTunes, and miles behind it's US counterpart. If Netflix were to launch here strongly, with a big catalogue of HD content, they would dominate for years to come. There's just virtually no competition here right now.

That's not really true, there's lots of little bits of UK competition in the movie streaming/download business, and as you say iTunes isn't as entrenched here as the US.

Xbox 360 has a service, PS3 has a service, Lovefilm has a growing multi-platform service, Mubi has a service. Lovefilm is probably the one to watch as it follows much the same Netflix model.

censored

censored

post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well... Canada hardly counts...

Hey, hey, hey!

Well, when it comes to Netflix, it hardly counts. The content on Canadian Netflix is really lacking compared to the US, although it is getting better slowly. I've noticed more and more titles coming, and a lot of the titles are streaming in good HD quality to my Apple TV now.

Well, Netflix counts more to Canada the TV show rentals. You can't even get that on the Apple TV in Canada currently. Stupid CRTC!!!
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhead View Post

Hey, hey, hey!

Well, when it comes to Netflix, it hardly counts. The content on Canadian Netflix is really lacking compared to the US, although it is getting better slowly. I've noticed more and more titles coming, and a lot of the titles are streaming in good HD quality to my Apple TV now.

Well, Netflix counts more to Canada the TV show rentals. You can't even get that on the Apple TV in Canada currently. Stupid CRTC!!!

HD quality from netflix? seriously....
they have no HD and if somehow it is then its the WORST hd ever
Their video and sound quality remind me of website videos from waaaaaay back.

what is obvious with crapflix is that low prices= sucky selection and sucky quality
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

HD quality from netflix? seriously....
they have no HD and if somehow it is then its the WORST hd ever
Their video and sound quality remind me of website videos from waaaaaay back.

what is obvious with crapflix is that low prices= sucky selection and sucky quality

Um... yes they do have HD. Some movies on Apple TV in Canada are now very clearly in 720p HD (As well as being labelled HD in the menu). Maybe you need a faster internet connection or something, but quality is very good for streaming.

I don't find selection bad for $8 a month. Lots of good classics, documentaries and hidden gems. Some good TV shows in there too that I like.
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhead View Post

Um... yes they do have HD. Some movies on Apple TV in Canada are now very clearly in 720p HD (As well as being labelled HD in the menu). Maybe you need a faster internet connection or something, but quality is very good for streaming.

I don't find selection bad for $8 a month. Lots of good classics, documentaries and hidden gems. Some good TV shows in there too that I like.

if you are saying appletv movies have hd then you are correct. Appletv hd smokes netfix quality of video and sound, not even in the same league.
netflix streaming is not HD anywhere on appletv or wii that i have seen.
And their sound is not 5.1 either.

their sound lacks, and the video lacks. Lack,lacks, lacks....

I stand corrected, i just found an hd film(wilkdwildwest) on netflix via appletv for the first time. the picture is much better than what i am used to seeing from all the other times i have watched a netflix video.the sound is still 2 channel stereo though, lacking....
irs nice to see they are trying, but they are still lame
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's iTunes rental service believed 10% the size of Netflix