or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expected to hold event by Valentine's Day to announce Verizon iPhone

Apple expected to hold event by Valentine's Day to announce Verizon iPhone

post #1 of 75
Apple is expected to hold an event "very soon," perhaps by Valentine's Day on Feb. 14, 2011, to unveil a new CDMA version of the iPhone compatible with U.S. carrier Verizon's network.

In a report issued Wednesday evening by Bloomberg Businessweek, the alleged coming debut of the iPhone on Verizon is portrayed as an "enormous problem" for AT&T, the current exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. While AT&T has had sole access to the iPhone since 2007, problems with its network have caused bad press, including a recent reader poll from Consumer Reports ranking AT&T the worst carrier in America.

"Verizon enjoys a reputation for reliability," author Peter Burrows wrote. "AT&T is notorious for dropping calls, especially in densely populated places like New York and San Francisco where iPhones are most common and cell towers get loaded."

The report said that Apple would hold one of its own "splashy product introductions to announce a new version of the iPhone that work's on Verizon's network," and said that event would "maybe" come by Valentine's Day.

Some have speculated that Apple would instead allow Verizon to announce the product at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January, an uncharacteristic move for the typically controlling iPhone maker. But the report specifically stated that a CES unveiling is not in the plans.

"Apple's introduction of an iPhone for use on Verizon's network will come sometime after the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in early January, according to a person familiar with Apple's plans who is not authorized to discuss them publicly," Burrows wrote.

But while the apparently loss of exclusivity on the iPhone is cause for concern for AT&T, the report also suggested that Verizon could experience its own growing pains when Apple's smartphone arrives on its network.

"At least initially, Verizon's iPhone may have weaknesses compared to AT&T's," the report said. "The expense and hassle of changing carriers could also work to AT&T's advantage."

It also noted that iPhone customers may be less likely to switch from AT&T if they are still under contract, as the carrier upped its termination fee to $325 in May of this year. The carrier also offered early upgrades for some iPhone 4 buyers whose contracts had not expired, locking them in to another two full years.
post #2 of 75
For Verizon's sake it should come before Valentines day. An iPhone (and the phone plan payments forever...) is a perfect gift for that day.
post #3 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

For Verizon's sake it should come before Valentines day. An iPhone (and the phone plan payments forever...) is a perfect gift for that day.

Nah, some chocolate and lingerie would be more gratifying.

I can buy anyone an iPhone any day of the year. Besides, she has a cellphone. And it's not forever anyhow. The contract expires in two years.

"Yeah babe, you're good for two years. Then I might upgrade, get the younger, sexier model. She'll be thinner too."
post #4 of 75
I think Verizon's network will buckle under the Hummer-bandwidth-eating iPhone load just as much, if not more, that AT&T's network.

At that point, I wonder what excuses Verizon's executives will come up in order to point the finger somewhere else.

Verizon will most likely place more restrictive data-caps on iPhone plans so that users will be so paranoid about using it for fear they will get smacked with over-the-top data charges.
post #5 of 75
Verizon's ETF is $350 (not $325) for "advanced devices" and $175 for others.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/ReturnPolicy.shtml
post #6 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think Verizon's network will buckle under the Hummer-bandwidth-eating iPhone load just as much, if not more, that AT&T's network.

At that point, I wonder what excuses Verizon's executives will come up in order to point the finger somewhere else.

Verizon will most likely place more restrictive data-caps on iPhone plans so that users will be so paranoid about using it for fear they will get smacked with over-the-top data charges.

I'm not so sure about this.

If the iPhone stays on 3G frequencies until the iPhone 5 is released and other smartphones on Verizon utilize the LTE frequencies, there may be less impact than anticipated... at least until the LTE iPhone is released next June/July.

Time will tell.
post #7 of 75
no need to worry about AT&T... they will reach record profits from early termination fees.
post #8 of 75
Would Apple have one special event for a CDMA-based iPhone and the next iPad, or hold separate events about a month apart? I say the latter.

Quote:

At this point I cant imagine the iPhone being the unexpected data weight that it was to AT&T in 2007. Theyve had plenty of time to plan for it, have plenty of app phones using copious amounts of data, and have the advantage of seeing AT&Ts network buckle under the demand of the iPhone. Id think in 2007 they would have crumbled like AT&T but could a major carrier be that incompetent in 2011?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 75
Yes there will be an event by valentine's Day, but it will be for a Verizon Compatible iPad. I never understood why everyone said the iPhone was coming.

The mythical verizon iPhone will be launched in june/july like all other iPhone launches, it it exists at all.
post #10 of 75
I will drop AT&T like a hot potato and then maybe buy a 4G Verizon phone at full price for some tethering action.
post #11 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

"Yeah babe, you're good for two years. Then I might upgrade, get the younger, sexier model. She'll be thinner too."

Okay, you got me. I LOL'ed.
post #12 of 75
Try this test:

Check your data throughput with Speedtest.net and then have one of your friends with a Verizon phone check their speed (Speedtest runs under Android and iPhone).

Bet ATT will be 2-4 times faster than Verizon. I usually get between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps whereas Verizon is usually 0.4 to 0.7 Mbps.

Bottom line: I'm sticking with ATT.
post #13 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

no need to worry about AT&T... they will reach record profits from early termination fees.

lulz.
post #14 of 75
This is a bit off topic, but I recently read (either here or macrumors) a rumor about "NFL Sunday Ticket" appearing in some code buried in the AppleTV, and the timing "pre-valentines day" makes me think "post-superbowl" which is Feb 6th this year. This would be the perfect time to announce this, to generate buzz prior to any new iPads (Verizon has an official relationship with the NFL, as it happens). If it is going to happen, at least this would be the earliest it could be announced, and the fall ipod/appleTV event would be too late to announce such an all-you-can-eat pass for the NFL.

This would be a killer-app for the AppleTV, and would enable a ton of cord-cutting with cable companies. The only thing that ever makes me want to subscribe to cable is NFL, maybe ESPN (a disney property).

Just though I'd drool about that publicly.

PS -- that would make a kickass Superbowl advertisement!
post #15 of 75
I'll believe it when I see the announcement.

Quote:

Agreed. Yum + Fun.

Quote:

LOL

Nice. Someone could make a funny video out of that concept...
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
post #16 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would Apple have one special event for a CDMA-based iPhone and the next iPad, or hold separate events about a month apart? I say the latter.

At this point I cant imagine the iPhone being the unexpected data weight that it was to AT&T in 2007. Theyve had plenty of time to plan for it, have plenty of app phones using copious amounts of data, and have the advantage of seeing AT&Ts network buckle under the demand of the iPhone. Id think in 2007 they would have crumbled like AT&T but could a major carrier be that incompetent in 2011?

I don't really think it was the original iPhone (2007) that caused the data crush; it was a 2.5G GSM/EDGE handset after all. It really came when Apple opened the App Store with the iPhone 3G in 2008. AT&T probably thought they had excess bandwidth on their newly deployed 3G network, but they weren't expecting the App Store.

That said, Verizon must have a pretty good idea of what the average iPhone user consumes in 3G data each month. Have they built out their network to handle such an increase in data use? I have no idea, but looking at the most recent Consumer Reports cellular customer satisfaction survey, they made zero headway in improving the satisfaction of their existing customers. That does not bode particularly well for Verizon.

Apple would probably make separate announcements for a CDMA iPhone and a new iPad. They would get more publicity that way, plus a staggered release would probably ease up a bit on the supply chain, particularly on silicon parts like the CPU/GPU and NAND flash memory chips. The screens are different, but many of the other internal components would be similar, and silicon supply is a common bottleneck.
post #17 of 75
This explains AT&T's "generosity" regarding early upgrades.
post #18 of 75
Quote:

I can buy anyone an iPhone any day of the year. Besides, she has a cellphone. And it's not forever anyhow. The contract expires in two years.

LMAO great post
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It also noted that iPhone customers may be less likely to switch from AT&T if they are still under contract, as the carrier upped its termination fee to $325 in May of this year. The carrier also offered early upgrades for some iPhone 4 buyers whose contracts had not expired, locking them in to another two full years.

Reading comprehension!
post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

This explains AT&T's "generosity" regarding early upgrades.

Its like making a deal with the Devil.
post #21 of 75
Announce it on Valentines Day.. That's so sweet! Apple and Verizon finally hooking up. Valentine's Day.. Reds all over.. Verizon is all about the Red.. How lovely!
post #22 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

This is a bit off topic, but I recently read (either here or macrumors) a rumor about "NFL Sunday Ticket" appearing in some code buried in the AppleTV, and the timing "pre-valentines day" makes me think "post-superbowl" which is Feb 6th this year. This would be the perfect time to announce this, to generate buzz prior to any new iPads (Verizon has an official relationship with the NFL, as it happens). If it is going to happen, at least this would be the earliest it could be announced, and the fall ipod/appleTV event would be too late to announce such an all-you-can-eat pass for the NFL.

This would be a killer-app for the AppleTV, and would enable a ton of cord-cutting with cable companies. The only thing that ever makes me want to subscribe to cable is NFL, maybe ESPN (a disney property).

Just though I'd drool about that publicly.

PS -- that would make a kickass Superbowl advertisement!

wow, did you lose the bubble on that one.

What you read was DirecTV did a survey of current subscribers and one of the things asked about was how much would they pay for a digital only version of NFL Sunday Ticket. It was mentioned in the survey that AppleTV was one of the display devices that could be used with the digital only service. That was all. A pretty pedestrian set of mini factoids.

From that all kinds of crazy ideas started to flow from folks who obviously never saw the survey and didn't actually read the posts about the survey from those that took it. It was auto-out-of-control rumor generation that fed upon itself with no basis in reality other than the above. Pretty standard for AI actually.
post #23 of 75
Guys, I just got the first invite to this thing.

I'm told that alternate taglines were as follows.

"Can you shut up now? Good."
"How many rumors does it take to get to the center of the truth?"
"Not coming out until June. Duh."

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #24 of 75
The sooner the better. I'm sure a Verizon announcement would not be the only thing to warrant a special event in January. Maybe the next gen iPad will show up too along with updated AppleTV firmware to give it access to the app store plus more content.
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrjv View Post

Try this test:

Check your data throughput with Speedtest.net and then have one of your friends with a Verizon phone check their speed (Speedtest runs under Android and iPhone).

Bet ATT will be 2-4 times faster than Verizon. I usually get between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps whereas Verizon is usually 0.4 to 0.7 Mbps.

Bottom line: I'm sticking with ATT.

If you actually can get 3G with Att BAM!
post #26 of 75
....however, AT&T has good coverage/speed where I live (Chicago area). My Verizon friends have slower access here....and no concurrent voice/data. Also, whenever we meet at the popular restaurant chains / coffee bars, I get free wifi....they do not.
post #27 of 75
So glad Apple is gonna give some big love to V on VD ay.
post #28 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

So glad Apple is gonna give some big love to V on VD ay.

Yes, considering that Apple considers mobile operators as big dumb pipes, it's not surprising at all at what sort of action that V will get from A on VDay.
post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

I'm going to go out on a very small branch and predict that there won't be near as much movement from AT&T as is currently being hyped.

Esp. when Verizon's network facepalms as hard or harder than AT&T's since as CDMA goes farther than GSM, there are fewer towers and thus less total aggregate bandwidth. Not a big deal for voice, but a huge deal for data.
post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

....however, AT&T has good coverage/speed where I live (Chicago area). My Verizon friends have slower access here....and no concurrent voice/data. Also, whenever we meet at the popular restaurant chains / coffee bars, I get free wifi....they do not.

....sir. You're alittle behind the times. 15000 wifi hotspots verizon has in the untied states. At&t has 20000. Often the same starbucks or wherever you go, it'll be the "same free wi-fi". What I like about
Verizon? Just that, YOU DON'T NEED TO RELY ON ANY WI-FI!
post #31 of 75
Quote:

Nah, some chocolate and lingerie...

Hugh?... Hugh Hefner?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

If you actually can get 3G with Att BAM!

I'm reading your post on my iPad using ATT 3G BAM!

"5 Bars" of sweet goodness, too!
/
/
/

post #33 of 75
Quote:

Verizon will most likely place more restrictive data-caps on iPhone plans so that users will be so paranoid about using i for fear they will get smacked with over-the-top data charges.

I do not think so. I think that the vast majority of the Verizon iPhone users would come from people like me who have to use Verizon and want to dump their android phones. The android phones consume just as much data as the iPhone, so i think the network will be just fine....

Should be a big gain for apple in terms of sales however....
post #34 of 75
Verizon iPhone, T-Mobile iPhone .... who gives a crap?

Will you please, please stop speculating about this subject? It's so unoriginally boring...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/lol.gif
post #35 of 75
Quote:

The "babe" might be thinking the same of you... bub.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 75
The only way for Apple to rise above all this is for them to pony up and buy a phone company. Isn't that what Apple does anyway? They study or partner with the best of the best (in this case, the worst of the worst) then beat them at their own game. C'mon, already Steve! Buy Sprint+T-mobile+a chinese phone company... or something.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 75
Valentine's Verizon Vociferously Vindicating Viable Victories of ViPhone
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

http://www.verizonwireless.com/ReturnPolicy.shtml

Verizon DOESN'T sell any "advanced devices". Yet.
post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "babe" might be thinking the same of you... bub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The only way for Apple to rise above all this is for them to pony up and buy a phone company. Isn't that what Apple does anyway? They study or partner with the best of the best (in this case, the worst of the worst) then beat them at their own game. C'mon, already Steve! Buy Sprint+T-mobile+a chinese phone company... or something.

Er... I don't think so. All Apple has to do is release iPhones that can run on any carrier, any frequency (of course different models may be required) and FULLY UNLOCKED and PREVENTED FROM TAMPERING BY THE CARRIERS.

This is the only way to beat the carriers at whatever game they are playing. Its success is proven all around the world where multi-carrier fully unlocked iPhones are available.
post #40 of 75
Quote:

Yes, considering that Apple considers mobile operators as big dumb pipes, it's not surprising at all at what sort of action that V will get from A on VDay.

Mobile operators and ISPs should be just big dumb pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guys, I just got the first invite to this thing.

"In bed with Big Red"

I'm told that alternate taglines were as follows.

"Can you shut up now? Good."
"How many rumors does it take to get to the center of the truth?"
"Not coming out until June. Duh."

Great graphic dude. Well done. Some alternate thoughts:

"Sleepless in Cupertino"
"Confessions of a Verizonoholic"
"The Devil Uses AT&T"
"50 First Meetings (before you go anywhere with Verizon)"
"Pretty Phone"
"Miss Elusivity"
"I, Android"
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to Mobile Operators"
"Call of CDMA: Modern Smartphone"
"Need for Speed: Verizon V12"

Quote:

Are you talking about the cellphone or her?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple expected to hold event by Valentine's Day to announce Verizon iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expected to hold event by Valentine's Day to announce Verizon iPhone