or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Double-click' patent lawsuit attacks Apple's iPhone, iPad

'Double-click' patent lawsuit attacks Apple's iPhone, iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Sorry guys, I patented the "Method of Removing Waste From a Toilet By Means of a Lever" back in '76. Pay up for all your bathroom runs.
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Which is precisely what is wrong with this patent. There are probably an infinite number of distinctly different things one could do with a double click. Interact with a an active display element? That should cover pretty much everything. Right?

Agreed.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #43 of 71
Patent for a double click? Seriously?
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Sorry guys, I patented the "Method of Removing Waste From a Toilet By Means of a Lever" back in '76. Pay up for all your bathroom runs.

All toilets are in violation of Egyptian lever patents for lifting stone blocks. Case coming soon to an east Texas court room ...
post #45 of 71
Shouldn't Apple's first motion be to relocate the suit to CA since both the plaintiff and defense "reside" in CA? That'd torque the troll off since it'd rob them of their troll-friendly TX jury.
post #46 of 71
Forget the patent office, this proves there is no God.
post #47 of 71
When is "ENOUGH" enough??? I do not know that much about this patent but these patent lawsuits coming out of Eastern Texas are just insane. Somebody get Obama to see what is happening here in the patent lawsuit capital of the world.

But seriously this sounds like another dumb lawsuit. Double click, and double tap are not the same thing. Throw it out.
post #48 of 71
what the hell is going on in the US with all this patent lawsuits? is everything patented? can i breathe without paying a license first? this is just stupid, sorry but it really drives me crazy, someone has to stop all this lawsuits and i'm not saying it because they are against apple.
post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

OK 'Quadruple Click' then

That is a double-double click, so you would be in violation twice of the single double-click
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This sounds like the "inventor" of the double-click is trying to extend it to the double-tap, so he can get paid all over again. Shameless.

It clearly doesn't apply. The title alone: "Double-Clicking a Point-and-Click User Interface Apparatus to Enable a New Interaction with Content represented by an Active Visual Display Element."Implies an "apparatus" (mouse) with which you "click." Tapping with your finger instead of a mouse is entirely different.

Only this particular court (Texas ), would have even entertained the case at all.

This evening after a very rich meal I hed to double burp. Should I be afraid now of beeing sued?\
post #51 of 71
Wow, Nokia's N900 phone exists to these people enough to name it in the lawsuit, lol
post #52 of 71
Everything on a desk top since xerox park is double click. I love that the patent states "double click" yet in the complaint they add the tap so the complaint reads "double click or double tap" .. wow
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Everything on a desk top since xerox park is double click. I love that the patent states "double click" yet in the complaint they add the tap so the complaint reads "double click or double tap" .. wow

Not even bothering to sue laptops makers with Synaptics touchpads (or Synaptics for that matter) that featured double taps for who knows how long.
post #54 of 71
Who are the fk'n morons running the patent office???????? Double click this you twits (middle finger extended)
post #55 of 71
I use double tapping when I write "tapping." Do I get sued, too? Rats. There it goes again!
post #56 of 71
You have to pay a filing fee. Then the defendant has to pay fees. Then there are hearing fees for use of the courtroom. Every time a motion is filed, there is a fee. Win lose or draw, whether its in the suit that the defendant pays the plaintiffs fees or not ... There are those fees.

The vast majority of these patent cases are filed in the Eastern District of Texas. Its no coincidence.

Kind of reminds me of one of those 1950's small towns in the middle of nowhere on a 'Federal Highway with a single stop sign where the town makes its money with speed traps for out of towner's passing through.

Who exactly is making the money here? Is it a court or a business?
post #57 of 71
I have received a patent for the "Removal of fecal matter from the posterior of humans and other animals through the wiping of a soft tissue paper, usually delivered in roll form, across the surface of said posterior to collect said fecal matter". And I will be suing everyone who violates it.
post #58 of 71
Let's not forget the iPod Touch, which helped Apple achieve those platform app numbers to a large extent. MS, Palm and company can't match that advantage.

(oops wrong story)
post #59 of 71
Why create when you can sue?

Intellectual property law has become just one more way to codify greed. The notion that anyone can own an idea is (forgive me) patently absurd.
post #60 of 71
Why does the great state of Texas allow such idiotic behaviour on their soil? The Pathetic Patent Office and the Trolls that abuse patents could be stopped if the Legislature decided enough is enough. Until they stop this nonsense, they look like idiots. What is the incentive for Texas to put up with so much ridicule?
post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

When is "ENOUGH" enough??? I do not know that much about this patent but these patent lawsuits coming out of Eastern Texas are just insane. Somebody get Obama to see what is happening here in the patent lawsuit capital of the world.

But seriously this sounds like another dumb lawsuit. Double click, and double tap are not the same thing. Throw it out.

I'm guessing that's sarcasm. Obama... yea we'll have you pay for a company's patent soon policy is great! Loving it. You too can pay for innovation through government! In the mean time we'll make it so the people who work for a living will pay health care to those those who don't. ...and don't get me started on what we pay for those who are here illegally...
post #62 of 71
There are two things that are really wrong with all this:
- software patents
- the court in Texas where all this is happening

Would it be within the power of federal law to enforce jurisdiction of these sort of cases and in what form the trial could take place if voted by senate? I am asking because even policies seem to get thrown out these days - see health care.

It would be nice to see software patents rejected. When it comes to a patent troll, how do you identify them in a way that would prevent them abusing the system without hurting the legitimate patent owner.

Maybe all these companies should instate a policy of not doing business in Texas, citing patent trolling and see what the popular reaction is.
post #63 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Why does the great state of Texas allow such idiotic behaviour on their soil? The Pathetic Patent Office and the Trolls that abuse patents could be stopped if the Legislature decided enough is enough. Until they stop this nonsense, they look like idiots. What is the incentive for Texas to put up with so much ridicule?

Does the state of Texas get to profit from this?
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

In the mean time we'll make it so the people who work for a living will pay health care to those those who don't. ...and don't get me started on what we pay for those who are here illegally...

Sorry buddy, but access to a health system is a basic human right. If you really believe that it is only a right of those who pay for it, pray to god, you never get sick when jobless...
post #65 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

" The patent was first filed for ownership in 2002 ...

Patent trolls...
How could you possibly filed a double-click patent in 2002, are the guys overthere retarded or something?
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

OK 'Quadruple Click' then

Quadruple - clicking has already been implemented, it was an Apple program but I forgot which. Or it may be Word. But quadruple-clicking selected a whole paragraph:

Double-click: selects a word
Triple-click: sentence
Quad-click: paragraph
post #67 of 71
In other news, I just applied for a patent for having a cup of coffee before 9 AM while still in pajamas.
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Somebody get Obama to see what is happening here in the patent lawsuit capital of the world.

???
What does Obama have to do with this and more importantly, why do you think he could or would do anything useful in this situation?
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Why does the great state of Texas allow such idiotic behaviour on their soil?

They have no choice in the matter.
It is Federal court.
Quote:
What is the incentive for Texas to put up with so much ridicule?

The incentive is they get to be part of the United States of America.
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

???
What does Obama have to do with this and more importantly, why do you think he could or would do anything useful in this situation?

I was being mostly sacastic. It just amazes me the kind of lawsuits that come out of that part of Texas. A compony who makes all of their profits based on lawsuits who's sole purpose is to obtain patents with zero intention to actually make a working product from said patents should really be looked at in my opinion. I do not believe there is much intergity here.
post #71 of 71
I'm going to patent the very nature of walking and going places on your feet and then sue every person (lawyers included) that I see using my new patent. Ok, ok, I'll just start with the lawyers first.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'Double-click' patent lawsuit attacks Apple's iPhone, iPad