or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Crash Taxes

Crash Taxes

post #1 of 5
LA Times

Quote:
One more good reason to drive safely in California: If you cause an accident, you may be on the hook to pay the police and firefighters who show up to help.

At least 50 cities in the state have adopted so-called crash-tax laws allowing local governments to seek reimbursement from insurance companies for the costs of sending public emergency crews to accident scenes. The fees can amount to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. If insurers don't pay, cities can hire collection agents to seek payment from the motorists involved..................

.........Critics, however, are incensed that communities are now charging extra for what once were considered core services.

"To me, it's an outrage. We're already paying these people the police department, the fire department, the emergency vehicle drivers handsome salaries and benefits," said Lew Uhler, president of the National Tax Limitation Committee. "Either we stop this kind of nonsense or we should quit paying taxes for these kind of services."

This is the type of item that shows just how out of control spending is and how it isn't even going to help the people being served.

This is common in California. We have a nearly 10% sales tax, and we are rated among the highest tax burdens in the country. Yet things like infrastructure and even services cannot be paid for since so many of the dollars are being redistributed. Remember when Republicans passed welfare reform, not so much for California who ignored most of it and has 30% of the welfare recipients for the ENTIRE NATION while having 12% of the population.

It needs to stop but it won't. Unlike most other states, California went even more Democratic in the last election. The estimates are that it has a $28 billion dollar deficit but has been able to ignore it for the last few years because so much "stimulus" money was sent here. We have now stimulated our way from a little over 6% unemployment to 12% unemployment all while still raising taxes the entire time.

Expect this as the increasing norm from blue states. If we are lucky Republicans in the House will help stop the flow of cash to keep all these bad ideas afloat. People won't change their minds or vote different while someone is subsidizing their failure.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 5
It's hard to have much sympathy for a state that plans on spending $140 billion on locking their own citizens up over the next ten years.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #3 of 5
Wasn't it the "progressive" members that decried the lack of payment to the fire service and the subsequent burned out home that resulted as an example of worst of tea party theory. Now in a liberal stronghold we see an auto accident leading to a debtor's prison mentality to the benefit of Big Labor.

Where'd they all go?
post #4 of 5
I don't agree with it. I just don't like trumptman threads. Neither do most of the other progressives here. Usually they are a colossal waste of time and energy.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I don't agree with it. I just don't like trumptman threads. Neither do most of the other progressives here. Usually they are a colossal waste of time and energy.

So true. Much like this one.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Crash Taxes