or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported next-gen iPad cases being taken down
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported next-gen iPad cases being taken down

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Cases purported to be for Apple's next-generation iPad that were posted to a Chinese trade site are being removed after the site received a "legitimate takedown request," possibly lending credence to their authenticity, according to a new report.

Earlier this week, international business-to-business trading site Alibaba.com received a request to remove the case listings, The Wall Street Journal reports.

We do not know whether these products are what they say they are, but we have received a legitimate takedown request and are removing the listings, Alibaba Group spokesman John Spelich told the Journal, though he declined to comment on the source of the request.

Early this month, cases allegedly for the second-generation iPad with space for a rear-facing camera and a mysterious cutout on the bottom near the speaker were spotted online.

After a Japanese Mac blog posted a report that the next-generation of Apple's successful tablet device would have a flat back and wide-range speaker, leaked cases advertised as for the "iPad 2" were discovered on Alibaba.com with illustrations of an enlarged speaker grille on the back of the device.



According to the Journal report, several listings for the case had been taken down by Friday, though at least two remained as of Friday afternoon in Beijing. Spelich said the company is working on removing all the listings.

A man who answered the phone for one of the case suppliers contacted by the Journal said that his company works with Apple manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry and possesses first hand material on the features of the new iPad, calling the case design "extremely accurate." The man declined to give his name, saying the matter was "very serious."

Hon Hai spokespeople denied connections between the company and the Alibaba.com case listings and called the case supplier's remarks "hostile."

Reports of the second-generation iPad have gained momentum as of late. Earlier this week, one industry insider suggested that the upcoming tablet will include a USB port. Another report suggested that Apple plans to build Wi-Fi, UMTS and CDMA models of the next iPad.
post #2 of 33
First bitches!


Now why doesn't someone post the pics.
post #3 of 33
Perhaps this is a bit nerdy, but every time I read about some company/site removing some purported info on an unreleased product I think of Enders Game when they discovered the Formics were on Eros by the asteroid disappearing as the Formics hid themselves from view. IOW, this is a confirmation that those case designs are for the next iPad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

First bitches!

Thats one way to kick off 2011.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 33
It's almost time for someone to accidentally leave an "iPad" in a bar...
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

It's almost time for someone to accidentally leave an "iPad" in a bar...

That tactic has already been done. No sense repeating it.

BTW, why are all you guys browsing AI on New Years Eve? Isn't it party time?

Goodnight folks.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps this is a bit nerdy, but every time I read about some company/site removing some purported info on an unreleased product I think of Enders Game when they discovered the Formics were on Eros by the asteroid disappearing as the Formics hid themselves from view. IOW, this is a confirmation that those case designs are for the next iPad.

A "bit" nerdy?
post #7 of 33
Of course it is nerdy! Don't be afraid to embrace your inner geek! Blizzard did it, and look at what they are now!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...-offices.ars/1

On topic...gimme wireless syncing, a gigabyte of RAM, dual-core processor and AAA games and I'll trade in my macbook pro for it! (Yeah, not going to happen, at least not in this generation..)

But without a mouse, how would I play World of Warcraft? hummm..

In all seriousness, Blizzard should make a mouse accessory for the iPad that is open, so AAA games will flood the iPad and help it rule the world

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #8 of 33
History repeating.. iPhone 4 cases taking down... remember ?
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
post #9 of 33
My question in all this is why Apple wasn't called out by name . I mean it has to have been Apple right. They are the only ones that would want the photos out of circulation. But the articles are all very vague and make it sound like it could have been the case company who got leaked and wanted it stopped. however that doesn,t make a lot of sense when you consider that the case company is the most likely source of the photos

The whole thing just really makes me doubt the story. Not the cases, they could be correct even if the interpretation is not. But the claim of some kind of cease and desist demand could be made up. If Apple sites etc are good about anything it is getting their ire up over rejections, 'censorship' etc. So claiming you were hand slapped is a great way to get everyone to talk about you and make them folk to see your next leak before it too is forced down.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #10 of 33
Rumors have it that the new iPad with have a teletransporter! Who needs video conferencing when you can instantly transport yourself and talk to the person .. in person! Making telephones obsolete overnight!
post #11 of 33
Yay! Rear camera! World's first largest most FaceTimey digital big-screen view camera! (Before anyone complains about how 'awkward' a rear camera will be on an iPad.)
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps this is a bit nerdy, but every time I read about some company/site removing some purported info on an unreleased product I think of Enders Game when they discovered the Formics were on Eros by the asteroid disappearing as the Formics hid themselves from view. IOW, this is a confirmation that those case designs are for the next iPad.



Thats one way to kick off 2011.

I need to read that book again; it's been a few years. I probably read it twenty times between the ages of 13 and 20.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #13 of 33
Considering the official announcement regarding the next iPad is mere days away (not official yet but no doubt it will come this month), these reports are much ado about nothing.

Not sure which report claimed there would be a USB port but the one I read (forget where) also claimed the next iPad would be a 7" model with a Retina display.

Considering Jobs only recently made a point of publicly ridiculing the 7" form factor (something about filing the ends of your fingers) clearly a 7" iPad is a no-go. And as for a 7" Retina Display, you've got to be kidding. That much density in such a large screen would involve a screen that in itself would cost far more than the retail price of a current iPad.

The new iPad will likely be so thin that a USB port simply won't fit.

Faster processor, lighter design, maybe 3G standard, better battery life, some sort of camera, certainly for Facetime, maybe for filming. These are all probable. No need for inside information to know that's coming just as you don't need inside info to know it's not going to have a 7" screen etc.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Considering the official announcement regarding the next iPad is mere days away (not official yet but no doubt it will come this month), these reports are much ado about nothing.

Why? Do you have ANY reason to think this? The last iPad came out in April. The announcement and simultaneous release of the 2nd gen iPad is therefore incredibly likely to be ALSO in April.

iDevices get one update a year, every year, on the year.

Quote:
Not sure which report claimed there would be a USB port but the one I read (forget where) also claimed the next iPad would be a 7" model with a Retina display.

FaceTime camera? Sure. 7"? So not happening. And Retina 7? Ha! You're absolutely right.

Quote:
The new iPad will likely be so thin that a USB port simply won't fit.

I don't get what's wrong with all these people. IT ALREADY HAS A USB PORT.

Quote:
Faster processor, lighter design, maybe 3G standard, better battery life, some sort of camera, certainly for Facetime, maybe for filming. These are all probable. No need for inside information to know that's coming just as you don't need inside info to know it's not going to have a 7" screen etc.

Bingo.

And I hate that emoticon. Drop whatever he's puffing and keep the glasses.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Do you have ANY reason to think this? The last iPad came out in April. The announcement and simultaneous release of the 2nd gen iPad is therefore incredibly likely to be ALSO in April.

iDevices get one update a year, every year, on the year..

The iDevices running iOS havent been getting simultaneous announcements and releases. So fasr we have little precedent with the iPad expect that it was announced in January and released in April. Its not exactly a pattern, but it is something. The iPhone gets a good lead time, too, but it also comes with the new version of iOS where devs need to ready themselves. The iPod Touch is irrelevant as its been following the iPhone after several months with the same basic HW and OS as that years iPhone.

Quote:
I don't get what's wrong with all these people. IT ALREADY HAS A USB PORT.

It has USB protocol for data but it has no USB port. This is an important distinction.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 33
USB port- YES! Much more versatile- the original iPad is beginning to look more and more like a dinosaur.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iDevices running iOS havent been getting simultaneous announcements and releases.

Sure they have. iPods are announced in September and released the same day. The iPhone is announced at WWDC and released less than a month later (okay, not simultaneous, but at the same time every year). The iPad will be announced and released in April. It was only announced in advance because Apple doesn't make anything else like it. Same with the first iPhone; six month early announcement.

Quote:
It has USB protocol for data but it has no USB port. This is an important distinction.

30-pin USB is USB. They won't do it because they don't WANT people having extra storage, et. al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

USB port- YES! Much more versatile- the original iPad is beginning to look more and more like a dinosaur.

Has a USB port already.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure they have. iPods are announced in September and released the same day. The iPhone is announced at WWDC and released less than a month later (okay, not simultaneous, but at the same time every year). The iPad will be announced and released in April. It was only announced in advance because Apple doesn't make anything else like it. Same with the first iPhone; six month early announcement.

1) I already stated why the iPod Touch is exempt when the major HW in the iPod Touch have already been out in the iPhone for months.

2) You’ve proved my point with your acknowledgment of both the iPhone and iPad not being announced/demoed and released to market the same day.

3) It’s one thing to say “I think Apple will announced/demo and release to market the next iPad on the same day” but you clearly stated this is how it’s been happening already when that is patently false.

4) If Apple announces and releases the G2 iPad on the same day in April I’ll buy you one.

Quote:
30-pin USB is USB.

That is not a "30-pin USB" port, that is Apple’s proprietary and licensable port interface.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... That is not a "30-pin USB" port, that is Apples proprietary and licensable port interface.


I'm just assuming here, but I think the original poster's point was merely that the functionality already exists, despite the semantics of port description. Some subset of the pins of Apple's dock connector basically comprise a USB port. You can also buy an Apple branded dongle that allows for a USB port on the bottom of the device.

The issue is the software and whether Apple allows you to use that USB port for this that or the other thing, which would still be the case regardless of whether a physical, recognisable USB port exists on the device.

So ergo and ipso facto, people asking for a USB port on the iPad are indeed "asking for something that's already there" (in a sense) and should instead be asking for Apple to relax the restrictions in the software, not asking for a USB port to be added to the device per se.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Youve proved my point with your acknowledgment of both the iPhone and iPad not being announced/demoed and released to market the same day.

The first iPhone was announced months before availability because there was nothing to cannibalize. All subsequent iPhones have been announced with the previous model either unavailable or for pre-order alongside the previous model, discounted. It stands to reason that the iPad will operate similarly.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #21 of 33
USB, camera, hopefully faster CPU, slightly smaller form factor.
Yep I held off on the first gen, but will pre-order this thing when it becomes available.
I currently own two smart phone which I will drop down to regular feature phones and take a 3g ipad2
This second version will sell like hot cakes!
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Do you have ANY reason to think this? The last iPad came out in April. The announcement and simultaneous release of the 2nd gen iPad is therefore incredibly likely to be ALSO in April.

iDevices get one update a year, every year, on the year.




Simple. The competition is scrambling to release its tablets ASAP and the only target right now is the current iPad. Some of them might take a good run at it.

But if Apple dramatically raises the bar before the competition's first-gen products hit the marketplace, Apple maintains its healthy lead. April is far too long for Apple to wait. It opens the door to Apple losing some momentum, whereas if a new iPad is in stores by the end of this month, that will not happen.

The competition is too far along in preparing its products to respond quickly to whatever Apple does with the new version.

It's important that Apple get the timing right and by having sold far more iPads than anyone could have imagined, Apple has more than recovered its initial development costs so it's not a problem releasing a new version less than a year after widespread availability of the current version.

I've been wrong often but I'm going to stick with my prediction of a January launch of iPad Version 2. By the way, Apple made the original announcement about the iPad in January of 2010, so in one regard, a year has passed.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Simple. The competition is scrambling to release its tablets ASAP and the only target right now is the current iPad. Some of them might take a good run at it.

But if Apple dramatically raises the bar before the competition's first-gen products hit the marketplace, Apple maintains its healthy lead. April is far too long for Apple to wait. It opens the door to Apple losing some momentum, whereas if a new iPad is in stores by the end of this month, that will not happen.

The competition is too far along in preparing its products to respond quickly to whatever Apple does with the new version.

It's important that Apple get the timing right and by having sold far more iPads than anyone could have imagined, Apple has more than recovered its initial development costs so it's not a problem releasing a new version less than a year after widespread availability of the current version.

I've been wrong often but I'm going to stick with my prediction of a January launch of iPad Version 2. By the way, Apple made the original announcement about the iPad in January of 2010, so in one regard, a year has passed.

You're point is certainly valid but not to be ignored is the point, IMHO, that's it's software that has put Apple so far ahead in the tablet segment. We're all anticipating iPad v2 but I'm not anticipating a quantum leap on the software side versus the current iPad. Nor am I expecting the competition to close much of the gap on the software side, either.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The competition is too far along in preparing its products to respond quickly to whatever Apple does with the new version.

Exactly, so there's no reason for Apple to follow anyone's schedule but their own. They don't like releasing products in January. Hence, no MacWorld attendance anymore.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly, so there's no reason for Apple to follow anyone's schedule but their own. They don't like releasing products in January. Hence, no MacWorld attendance anymore.

I think youve said this before yet its pointed out numerous times that they had an event last year in January, not to mention the many Macs (an established product) that have been announced in January and then shipped later. There is a clear history and sound marketing reasons for all of this.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

Rumors have it that the new iPad with have a teletransporter! Who needs video conferencing when you can instantly transport yourself and talk to the person .. in person! Making telephones obsolete overnight!

This was announced already. It's called iPhone Scotty and is supposed to be available by the 12th of never.
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
Reply
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is not a "30-pin USB" port, that is Apples proprietary and licensable port interface.


...the sort of thing that validates the oldest joke in the Mac world:

Q: How many Apple employees does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Three: one engineer to design a better but slightly non-standard light bulb, a second engineer to design a better but slightly non-standard socket for it, and a marketing executive to kill the program when it fails to meet sales projections.



Let's hope they go with a universal standard instead.
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

BTW, why are all you guys browsing AI on New Years Eve? Isn't it party time?

I'm in Japan. Your New Years eve is my waking up in the afternoon and logging on with some Japanese macha and osechi then going to the temple and praying for a new iMac.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly, so there's no reason for Apple to follow anyone's schedule but their own. They don't like releasing products in January. Hence, no MacWorld attendance anymore.

If you have a lead, it's prudent to maintain that lead. Apple consistently has done that with its iPod line.

It's not so much a matter of following anyone else's schedule so much as it's about intelligently timing its product releases for the best bang for the buck.

Simply put, let competitors prepare an onslaught against the iPad as it is speced out now only, have the iPad by the time that assault is launched, be a more capable device. It's as if Apple were competing against itself in the sense that it probably looks at the current iPad and asks what it could do better were it to compete against it. The competition is welcome to do the same but its Apple that will always take that extra step.

Why would Apple wait until April to bring out an update? Doing so would slow momentum in a space that is new. On the other hand, maintain that momentum and Apple will dominate a category it created.

Don't forget that Apple had pretty much finalized the iPad long before it was available for sale in April. I imagine there has been plenty of time to conjure up new specs and to incorporate some of the feedback received since April into a revision.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I need to read that book again; it's been a few years. I probably read it twenty times between the ages of 13 and 20.

It would make an excellent movie also. It's a shame that so far there isn't a single director who wants to make a movie of it and yet keep strictly to the book like Card insists.
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would make an excellent movie also. It's a shame that so far there isn't a single director who wants to make a movie of it and yet keep strictly to the book like Card insists.

The script seems to have issues. I can’t imagine a film comprised mostly of kids spanning about a decade without it being animated. I always though the Final Fantasy animation would work ideally with that story.

You either have to adjust the age differences significantly or use different actors, either of which could easily affect the flow. Harry Potter pushed that limit over 8 films but we’re talking even younger kids and all within the same film. As much as I’d like to see it made I think this shouldn’t happen unless they can work out it out properly.

That said, the tech James Cameron used in Avatar could be the eventual answer to realistic human animations that don’t trigger the uncanny valley effect. Note that Cameron had Orson Scott Card write the novel version for his Abyss script, so there is some affiliation between them already.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 33
I think the iPad 2 needs more software improvements than hardware changes. I've compiled my personal top 10 wishlist items, including thoughts on redesigning the home screen, how to re-introduce an easily-accessible orientation lock without adding another hardware control, and how to make web browsing more enjoyable. iPad 2 wishlist on my personal blog
post #33 of 33

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 5/4/12 at 12:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Purported next-gen iPad cases being taken down