or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple admits New Year's alarm bug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple admits New Year's alarm bug - Page 4

post #121 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

LOL you inferred the startup and failure in your post not I...... you just don't like being called out for conflicting posts with conflicting statements. Not a problem...don't really care. Have a great new year! Why bring up Techstud? Do you miss him?

Heres another example: This is pretty shameful as its a dumb for you to repeatedly not understand this. Its not like you are a child. See what I did there? I just said you failed. Children arent failures because they arent as knowledgable just as startups arent failures because they dont have the resources. You are the failure in that example, just as Apple is the failure in my original post.

I bring up TeckStud because you used his logic to come to the ass end of conclusion and then fail to admit it when youre wrong.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #122 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Heres another example: This is pretty shameful as its a dumb for you to repeatedly not understand this. Its not like you are a child. See what I did there? I just said you failed. Children arent failures because they arent as knowledgable just as startups arent failures because they dont have the resources. You are the failure in that example, just as Apple is the failure in my original post.

I bring up TeckStud because you used his logic to come to the ass end of conclusion and then fail to admit it when youre wrong.

Oh...I see...so failure to agree with you results in in harsh words from you...hmmmm sounds like a little insecutity on your part. Not going to get into name calling with you...not worth the frustration. You obviously have a overstated self worth view of yourself.....so enjoy your ego......and your fond memories of Techstud...I am sure he is smiling somewhere over your references to him. He must have made an impression on you. Adding you to my ignore list...Have a great New year........if you can fit your heard through the door....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #123 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Have a great New year

Why the false salutations? Do you not realize that repeatedly telling someone to have a great new year is passive aggressive? Stand down or man up.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #124 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

It might even have to do with the fact that these days were on the weekend as opposed to weekdays, which follow different rules for recurring alarms. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some obscure bug in the "do alarm / don't alarm" logic involved with recurring/non-recurring, weekday/non-weekday, pathways which only gets tripped under very peculiar circumstances.

Some bugs, like Y2K, are not so much programming bugs as they are paradigm problems that result in fairly "sensible" bugs. By that, I mean you can make sense out of them by just observing the symptoms and understanding the principles involved. But some other bugs cannot be understood in this manner. Some bugs are just plain screw-ups by the programmer that result in strange manifestations. When you face one such bug, you can't just stand outside of the box and work your way to the explanation. You have to dive into the code. That may very well be the case here.

Thompson

This may very well be a Y2K-like bug. Perhaps the program is assuming that the alarm set is for the current year (when set) so if you set it on Dec 31, 2010 for Jan. 1, 2011, it was really getting set for Jan. 1, 2010. That would be consistent why if you set the alarm now (like some people are saying) then it works. This would also be why they are working on it still...to fix the problem for any other alarms still to come and this might be a problem next year if you set your alarm in 2011 for a date in 2012.

I know this is just a guess, but it seems consistent with the symptoms...
post #125 of 135
Just came from the Apple store where they were repairing my MacBook Pro. Seems more than a couple of employees overslept and were late for work this morning. Wonder if they'll get docked?
Reset my alarms and they seem to be working fine.
post #126 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Apple: not ready for the enterprise.

Developing and testing this stuff is harder than you might think. About ten years ago I ran into a problem on Windows NT where alarm times were off one hour - a serious problem in a call center where you are making calls in the morning to customer's homes. We woke up a lot of people an hour early until we discovered that Microsoft had not tested the code with positive offsets from GMT.

That bug cost some real money as customers switched to competitors as a result.

Would you say that Microsoft is not ready for the enterprise?
post #127 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by euler View Post

This may very well be a Y2K-like bug. Perhaps the program is assuming that the alarm set is for the current year (when set) so if you set it on Dec 31, 2010 for Jan. 1, 2011, it was really getting set for Jan. 1, 2010. That would be consistent why if you set the alarm now (like some people are saying) then it works. This would also be why they are working on it still...to fix the problem for any other alarms still to come and this might be a problem next year if you set your alarm in 2011 for a date in 2012.

I know this is just a guess, but it seems consistent with the symptoms...

That makes sense, I suppose, unless the reports of new alarms also failing today. Then again, did the (still) affected people set them prior to the new year, and then assume they would work because it's after January 3rd now?

Thompson
post #128 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What time zone are you in? Did you set your date and time to "automatically set"? Curious.

Yes, it's kind of embarrassing for Apple, unfortunately.

I'm at GMT-3 summer time. Yes, it is on "automagically".
post #129 of 135
Google just announced that their Android clock will also fail once all testing is complete. This new feature will be available sometime in the next 5 quarters.

And Research in Motion co-CEO Mike Lazaridis was quoted as saying "They have a clock on their phone? We're going to have one as well. Only ours will be better - in fact it will be an iPhone clock killer. I just don't think people want clocks on their phones, just like they don't want touchscreens."

When contacted, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said "They have a phone with a clock that doesn't work? I have a patent on that. I'm going to sue their asses!"
post #130 of 135
OK so on the 4th early morning I reboot, reset etc etc and re-added alarms, it went off on the 4th and 5th morning as usual.

So it would appear it is back to normal, however I'm sure Apple has assembled a Clock Task Force to iron out this issues once and for all and prevent it from happening again.

iPhone4, the best smartphone, PDA and iPod I have had the pleasure of using, but it is definitely not perfect.
post #131 of 135
BTW untethered jailbreak is out for 4.2.1 in beta testing stage... No Bluetooth and no Skype and is somewhat complicated to execute.
post #132 of 135
It's worth the notice numerous travel web sites got huge calendar-related problems on the 1st of January 2011... Which suggests all that may be due to some calendaring algorithm issues. Some clumsy Y2K problem fix, for one.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #133 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It's worth the notice numerous travel web sites got huge calendar-related problems on the 1st of January 2011... Which suggests all that may be due to some calendaring algorithm issues. Some clumsy Y2K problem fix, for one.

Weird... I hope we find out what the issue is/was.
post #134 of 135
Sorry, double post. Using a crappy government PC.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #135 of 135
Just like every CORPORATION, Apple's first priority is to provide the largest possible return to their SHAREHOLDERS. Everything else is a means to that end.

Apple makes huge profit margins off most of their products, because they have the infrastructure of a much smaller company. Steve Jobs said it himself: he has to take programmers off one project and have them focus on others.

We consumers are paying exorberant prices for these products because we expect them to work. <--- PERIOD!! Anything else defeats the purpose.

Apple needs to expand (and expend some profit on) Quality Assurance and increase its programming force.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple admits New Year's alarm bug