or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › A New Year's Resolution

A New Year's Resolution

post #1 of 14
One of my New Year's Resolutions is to stop reading and posting in Political Outsider.

My reasoning is simple: I feel I have become more jaded, pessimistic, and even angry since I stumbled upon PO, and that is totally not the direction I want to go with my personality and disposition!

Maybe I've taken the personal attacks and attacks on my religion more personally than I realized. Whatever the cause, I feel I need to replace things in my life that I feel are wearing me down with things that will build me up.

I intend to continue to participate elsewhere in the AI forums, of course. So I'll see some of you around. And my PM inbox is always open.

I would like to share 2 very positive (at least I think they're positive) things that have resulted from my participation in PO:

1) My personal views have made a significant shift from what could be considered a "neoconservative bent" to a Libertarian political philosophy, particularly with respect to foreign policy, national defense, and economics.

2) I have interacted with some amazing people from all across the political spectrum whose posts are usually well written, thoughtful, engaging, and have caused me to reflect upon and reevaluate my own views.

In truth, the positive has outweighed the negative, yet I feel compelled to make the change nonetheless.

Brethren, adieu.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #2 of 14
Not sure if a discussion is possible as you might have disappeared but I would see it like this: why leave? Why not change your attitude?

There have been numerous overt opportunities for all of us to do it (Islam and Christianity threads for example) and of course, every day and every post is another opportunity.

With respect - you seem to be doing as much 'negative' stuff as many others (I don't mean bad, just not constructive) but then so do I....don't think I am exempting myself.

That's not the point - the point is if a chance arises to change and make a difference then you should take it. I remember you did some times in those mentioned threads. It could be like that much more.

All I can say is if I listed the top three posters I feel the most constructive dialogue with they'd all be on the opposite side of the political spectrum and would aggressively despise my position (more or less). With those on my side of the political debate then there's not so much connection.

So I guess I am saying - if you can get beyond getting angry and jaded (tough I know - especially with some of the reprobates on here hahaha) then there is much to learn and gain. Even getting past that is something in itself.

I'd stick with it...it's character building hahah!
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #3 of 14
Whilst you're recuperating (if that's even possible after a stint here!), take a few moments to digest this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FHVrXgzuA

Maybe try a more engaging posting style if you do return, you might find it more rewarding.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #4 of 14
I would hope that you would add opening your mind to what science is really about to your list of new year's resolutions.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I would hope that you would add opening your mind to what science is really about to your list of new year's resolutions.

If one's mind is clearly focused on this as "what science is really about" is that sufficient?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #6 of 14
It should also involve pursuing truth, even uncomfortable ones, and not holding beliefs without evidence. It shouldn't be about using sham science (starting from the fixed conclusion and working backward) to "prove" Native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel or that all of global climate change is a hoax.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It should also involve pursuing truth, even uncomfortable ones, and not holding beliefs without evidence. It shouldn't be about using sham science (starting from the fixed conclusion and working backward)...

Agreed.

I hope that the current political leaders of the world and the US as well as many who regularly comment on and contribute to discussions on critical issues will become well-versed in economic science..."pursuing truth, even uncomfortable ones, and not holding beliefs without evidence" instead of "using sham science" and "starting from the fixed conclusion and working backward."

The world will be a better place.

I'm skeptical though. \

post #8 of 14
Speaking of science, there's a great recent article in Christianity Today about a Christian perspective on the exploration of string theory.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to stop reading and posting in Political Outsider.

My reasoning is simple: I feel I have become more jaded, pessimistic, and even angry since I stumbled upon PO, and that is totally not the direction I want to go with my personality and disposition!

Maybe I've taken the personal attacks and attacks on my religion more personally than I realized. Whatever the cause, I feel I need to replace things in my life that I feel are wearing me down with things that will build me up.

I intend to continue to participate elsewhere in the AI forums, of course. So I'll see some of you around. And my PM inbox is always open.

I would like to share 2 very positive (at least I think they're positive) things that have resulted from my participation in PO:

1) My personal views have made a significant shift from what could be considered a "neoconservative bent" to a Libertarian political philosophy, particularly with respect to foreign policy, national defense, and economics.

2) I have interacted with some amazing people from all across the political spectrum whose posts are usually well written, thoughtful, engaging, and have caused me to reflect upon and reevaluate my own views.

In truth, the positive has outweighed the negative, yet I feel compelled to make the change nonetheless.

Brethren, adieu.

I will be sorry to see you go, but i fully understand. I am still walking that line between actually continuing to post here and just quitting. I am trying to make the changes that sego hinted at. But as you see and as he stated, it is not easy. There is a lot here to drag you quickly back to the negative and angry posting style. It is a daily struggle. Best of luck however it turns out.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Speaking of science, there's a great recent article in Christianity Today about a Christian perspective on the exploration of string theory.

Speaking of science? If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Sprinkle science-buzzwords over theological nonsense and it's still theological nonsense.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #11 of 14
Quote:

Brethren, adieu.

Good luck and good bye Jazzy. If you do decide to come back do it as yourself and not some other handle ok? This may come as a surprise but I'm sorry to see you go. About becoming jaded and pessimistic about posting here. You can't take this place too seriously. You're seeing some really extreme viewpoints here and not really representitive of all of what's out there. Think about it. These people take the time to post on a political forum attached to a computer forum. This goes for both sides liberal and conservative.

I know some think we have an effect on the world. As if! In reality we're just venting our views to the world ( that bothers to read this stuff ) but the world will be what it will no matter what happens here. So don't get too caught up in it.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #12 of 14
Interesting thing about this particular New Year's resolution of mine is that I simply filled the void by engaging in political/current events talk elswere!

So, after a bit of reevaluation and introspection, I have decided to come back.

Besides, how many of us actually keep ALL our New Year's resolutions?

During these past several months I have been studying much about libertarianism and classical liberalism, and I believe my perspective on things has changed considerably.

Should be interesting to see how our conversations go.

post #13 of 14
Quote:

Interesting thing about this particular New Year's resolution of mine is that I simply filled the void by engaging in political/current events talk elswere!

So, after a bit of reevaluation and introspection, I have decided to come back.

Besides, how many of us actually keep ALL our New Year's resolutions?

During these past several months I have been studying much about libertarianism and classical liberalism, and I believe my perspective on things has changed considerably.

Should be interesting to see how our conversations go.

Yeah, you have to find a new habit or hobby or you will always find yourself back here... Welcome back.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Yeah, you have to find a new habit or hobby or you will always find yourself back here... Welcome back.

Thanks.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › A New Year's Resolution