or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft to take on Apple TV with Windows-based set top box

Microsoft to take on Apple TV with Windows-based set top box - Page 4

post #121 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

I ROFL for sometime. Grt comment!

Oh my god.... I'll be happy never to see that thing again, but thanks for the memory!!
post #122 of 156
Here's an interesting patent:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...more.html#more
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #123 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

By the way, here's a quick tip. Unless you are a fifteen year old girl, putting little animated faces in your comments is a sure sign of loserdom. Same thing for emoticons or whatever they are called.

Conceited little snot aren't ya.....
post #124 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Woz, when he left Apple, started a company called Cloud 9.

His first product was Tyron -- A small device that attached to any remote and amplified the IR signal and beamed it in every direction. You did not need to point the remote at the TV, VCR, Stereo, etc.

His second product was an universal, programmable (and a lot more) remote called Core. Core was an Apple //c in a handheld device about the size of a remote.

My wife and I are minimalists when it comes to living room/entertainment room furnishings. When we built our current house one of the subcontractors that did the low-voltage wiring showed us a line of devices that he could install. As we were moving 2500 miles away, we wanted to keep moving costs as low as possible, so we garage-saled or goodwilled our ancient TV and stereo equipment, with the idea of buying new stuff here.

Our flatscreen is mounted on the wall above the fireplace and all the devices are hidden away in a nearby closet. As part of the deal we got an RF remote from Aeros that is the handiest and easiest remote we've ever used. It's programmable and has way fewer buttons because it uses soft buttons that are hierarchical in nature (clicking one brings up associated sub-buttons). The RF unit takes place of remotes for all the devices, including our ATV, and its signal can be detected in the closet from all over the house, including upstairs and the garage (should we have the need). The only drawback is the application that programs it is Windoze-only, so it's the only reason I have Parallels on one of our Macs.
post #125 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

I haven't bought the Home Media Center (yet) I'm in research mode at the moment. What format is your stick drive and file type for the movie on it? I put a 500 gb hdd in my PS3 with the idea of adding movies to it, but i don't want to re encode stuff to .mp4 @ less than 4gb.

not sure, i get an email from someone i know every week or so with a list of movies and i copy the files to my laptop of anything i want

needed some entertainment for my son last week after the blizzard and played toy story 3 like this

i personally prefer DVD and blu ray. i'd buy cartoons from iTunes, but i need an apple TV to watch it on TV along with a HDMI port and i'm out of ports. might look into ripping the DRM off the iTunes cartoons and just put them on my PS3

i got the PS3 a month before the apple TV came out. i had to buy a blu ray player for a new TV and didn't know what apple was going to release. and it was $299 for a PS3 compared to $299 for a 3D blu ray player or $199 for a wifi enabled blu ray player.
post #126 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

My wife and I are minimalists when it comes to living room/entertainment room furnishings. When we built our current house one of the subcontractors that did the low-voltage wiring showed us a line of devices that he could install. As we were moving 2500 miles away, we wanted to keep moving costs as low as possible, so we garage-saled or goodwilled our ancient TV and stereo equipment, with the idea of buying new stuff here.

Our flatscreen is mounted on the wall above the fireplace and all the devices are hidden away in a nearby closet. As part of the deal we got an RF remote from Aeros that is the handiest and easiest remote we've ever used. It's programmable and has way fewer buttons because it uses soft buttons that are hierarchical in nature (clicking one brings up associated sub-buttons). The RF unit takes place of remotes for all the devices, including our ATV, and its signal can be detected in the closet from all over the house, including upstairs and the garage (should we have the need). The only drawback is the application that programs it is Windoze-only, so it's the only reason I have Parallels on one of our Macs.

Tod,

Which model Aeros?

How does it handle IR?

Where did You move?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #127 of 156
Quote:

My 10-year-old grandson's 71-year-old grandfather

You're serious? I always thought you were my age (68 at present). Men, like fine wines, age well I think.
post #128 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

not sure, i get an email from someone i know every week or so with a list of movies and i copy the files to my laptop of anything i want

needed some entertainment for my son last week after the blizzard and played toy story 3 like this

i personally prefer DVD and blu ray. i'd buy cartoons from iTunes, but i need an apple TV to watch it on TV along with a HDMI port and i'm out of ports. might look into ripping the DRM off the iTunes cartoons and just put them on my PS3

i got the PS3 a month before the apple TV came out. i had to buy a blu ray player for a new TV and didn't know what apple was going to release. and it was $299 for a PS3 compared to $299 for a 3D blu ray player or $199 for a wifi enabled blu ray player.

Yeah I'm juggling HDMI ports at the moment, here's a possible solution

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers

If Sony can make a Home Theater box that handles all formats, then there's no REAL reason they can't do it on the PS3 as well.... How Apple of them.....
post #129 of 156
Quote:

You're serious? I always thought you were my age (68 at present). Men, like fine wines, age well I think.

Some just go "off" completely though.
post #130 of 156
Quote:

I'm curious and not trying to be snarky (has hell frozen over?). Just what are the advantages that BR brings to the home theater? I've been to Best Buy and Fry's in the past year and have spent time viewing BR movies on various TVs, and I honestly can't see a difference in quality between Br and conventional DVDs. Granted I'm an old fart and need glasses for reading but my farsightedness is still as good as any youngster's (according to a recent exam by my ophthalmologist), and I just can't see any marked difference.

What am I missing here that gets everyone in one corner or the other in an arena (especially when discussing BR vis-a-vis Apple/Steve Jobs)?

One of the digs against Blu-Ray has been that the incremental improvement just isn't that great to justify the cost of equipment and new media.
IMHO, on a scale of 1 to 100...
VCR to DVD was an improvement of 90
DVD to 780p or even 1080i was maybe a 40 or 50
780p/1080i to 1080p (Blu-Ray) is at best an improvement of 5 or 10.

At some point diminishing returns sets in and the bigger factor becomes convenience, which is where I think Apple has settled into a sweet spot with 780p streaming.
post #131 of 156
Quote:

Tod,

Which model Aeros?

MX850

Quote:
How does it handle IR?

There are little ladybug-sized thingies that are glued over the IR ports, then wired (fiber optic IIRC) to the RF device. Each unit that uses IR has its own set of light pulses that can be discovered and then translated at the RF unit so the RF unit sends appropriate IR signals down the tube to the device.

Quote:
Where did You move?

Ah, that would reveal a secret that I've been sworn to keep. You know about "witness protection" setups? Mine is a "cold war 'eyes and ears' " protection plan from the former KGB folks who now run the Russian Mafia. However, it seems that no secret is safe from Google. We cashed out our Foreclosure Valley home equity (I turned an initial investment of $30k in 1976 into a $1m+ payout) and we moved to Bloomington, IN in 2008. Last fall I played a "supernumerary" part in the IU production of Die Fledermaus. Go here http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/, slide the slider to the right until you find it, then watch. I come in early in Act II with two others showing trays of food to the party's host. I also play the part of a prisoner who escapes early in Act II.
post #132 of 156
Quote:

Quote:

Some just go "off" completely though.

Nah!

Some of us never grow up

BTW, where can I get a gallon of that fine wine?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #133 of 156
Quote:

Nah!

Some of us never grow up

I'm 51 and currently enjoying playing COD MW2 on my new PS3
post #134 of 156
Quote:

MX850

There are little ladybug-sized thingies that are glued over the IR ports, then wired (fiber optic IIRC) to the RF device. Each unit that uses IR has its own set of light pulses that can be discovered and then translated at the RF unit so the RF unit sends appropriate IR signals down the tube to the device.

Ah, that would reveal a secret that I've been sworn to keep. You know about "witness protection" setups? Mine is a "cold war 'eyes and ears' " protection plan from the former KGB folks who now run the Russian Mafia. However, it seems that no secret is safe from Google. We cashed out our Foreclosure Valley home equity (I turned an initial investment of $30k in 1976 into a $1m+ payout) and we moved to Bloomington, IN in 2008. Last fall I played a "supernumerary" part in the IU production of Die Fledermaus. Go here http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/, slide the slider to the right until you find it, then watch. I come in early in Act II with two others showing trays of food to the party's host. I also play the part of a prisoner who escapes early in Act II.

I'll check it out -- both the remote and the opera

Yeah, our 1973 $72K home tuned into $650K in 1989.

Doncha you miss Jarvis-Gann though?

Never been to Bloomington -- nearest was Indianapolis, Cincy (IBM Business) and Goshen-Lool'vul, KY (Computer Plus Business).

Hope that new home has lotsa' fireplaces
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #135 of 156
Quote:

I'm 51 and currently enjoying playing COD MW2 on my new PS3

I have no idea what that means (the bits after 51).
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #136 of 156
Quote:

I have no idea what that means (the bits after 51).

I heard that after 51 your bits stopping working.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #137 of 156
Quote:

Go here: http://www.goldenvineyards.com/cms/i...d=16&Itemid=27

I've worked for both these good folks at Rolm and Raynet.

"Life's too short; drink the red wine first."
-that lush at the Calif Av Caltrain station
post #138 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sorry off topic .. I'd totally disagree. Yes they may be over used, yes they be used incorrectly at times. However, they add a dimension to writing previously absent to all but the most skilled writer, the ability to ... yes you guessed it ... show the emotional intent behind the comment. Add in the fact blogs are often terse and very susceptible to misinterpretation and they can become invaluable in avoiding any such issues.

So there \ :
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #139 of 156
Quote:

Nah!

Some of us never grow up

Geez, I just turned 60. In your world I'm your nosey little brother!
post #140 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not true.

They still work, they just creak and hurt like hell!
post #141 of 156
Quote:

Last fall I played a "supernumerary" part in the IU production of Die Fledermaus. Go here http://www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive/streaming/, slide the slider to the right until you find it, then watch. I come in early in Act II with two others showing trays of food to the party's host. I also play the part of a prisoner who escapes early in Act II.

What fun!

Oh der schöne Rosalinde und Lindsay Lohan!

You actually had a long stage appearance -- holding up a column/wall, serving drinks, getting coats and hats.

...don't remember you being that well behaved...

That was really funny -- I showed my 14 yo gd the part where they tell Prince Orlofsky that he can't bail out the roulette players, and he says...

...she is going to watch the whole thing.

I really, really enjoyed a contemporary Die Fledermaus!

I envy you!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #142 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Actually... they go into overdrive!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #143 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Microsoft is officially the largest company with absolutely no original ideas.

And very, very frightened product managers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #144 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims that software giant Microsoft will challenge the Apple TV and Google TV platforms when it introduces a stripped down version of Windows for set top boxes and connected TVs later this year.

Microsoft TV?

And once again proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that MS remains a company incapable of thinking for itself.

When will Ballmer learn? Children should not be allowed to play with Billions.
post #145 of 156
Quote:

Here's an interesting patent:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...more.html#more

There always seems to be another Apple TV patent popping up (I find this one very interesting as well) to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Steve already knows exactly how he wants Apple TV to work - he probably even has a prototype.

However whenever I read about this it always seems to come back to the content providers. Creating a "magical" device is only half the solution - the rest is finding a way to get the content owners/providers on side.

Apple have already kind of fought this battle before with the music industry so they at least come from a position of experience.

Microsoft seem to be making ground as well (limited cable over IP is already available on Xbox in Australia). I'm not sure what their secret is. Maybe they are just throwing money around.

Looking at the number of sites that are blocking Google TV it seems they may have forgotten entirely about the content owners/providers and just built the device! No doubt they are working on expanding GTV though.

The market is certainly there for someone willing to make a bold move though (assuming it's allowed to go through) like an Apple buy out of Sony, Time Warner or even Walt Disney or Comcast/NBC.
post #146 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

And once again proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that MS remains a company incapable of thinking for itself.

When will Ballmer learn? Children should not be allowed to play with Billions.

"There are lives at stake here!"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #147 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Microsoft is officially the largest company with absolutely no original ideas.

Truer words have never been spoken. Microsoft chasing everyones ideas and whats sad is that none of Microsofts chasing has brought them any substantial product gains.
post #148 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

You are late with that joke at least 8 years.

Are you suggesting that Windows7 doesn't blue screen?
That's even funnier.
post #149 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Lots of tired old cliches in the comments here, probably from people who have never used Windows Media Center. It has a lot going for it. The remote believe it or not is very simple, the interface is slick and effective, the onscreen guide is the best I've ever seen, it supports OTA and QAM tuners, it has the best DVR abilities and interface I know of, ...

If you've never used it it's easy to bash it.

I've used it - the list of available free-to-air satellite channels in the UK version is deliberately limited to a select few that Microsoft sees fit to allow and you can't add channels of your own. Epic, epic fail.

I don't use it any more and love bashing it. I now use MediaPortal - HTPC done properly.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #150 of 156
Quote:

My 10-year-old grandson's 71-year-old grandfather can navigate the AppleTV with a 1-n button remote with full menus, images and text -- an iPhone or an iPad running the Free Remote app. He didn't have to learn anything -- it works the same way that everything on iDevices works: simple and intuitive! When the kids are not around he loves watching: "Debbie does"... er, ah, forget it!

Alright Dick .... can I borrow that? I love old Debbie Reynolds movies. .....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #151 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

Really?? I mean really??????

yawn

Excellent summation.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #152 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Truer words have never been spoken. Microsoft chasing everyones ideas and whats sad is that none of Microsofts chasing has brought them any substantial product gains.

To be fair to Microsoft they are consistent. They never did have an idea to start with. They simply made billions with stolen ones.
post #153 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

There always seems to be another Apple TV patent popping up (I find this one very interesting as well) to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Steve already knows exactly how he wants Apple TV to work - he probably even has a prototype.

However whenever I read about this it always seems to come back to the content providers. Creating a "magical" device is only half the solution - the rest is finding a way to get the content owners/providers on side.

Apple have already kind of fought this battle before with the music industry so they at least come from a position of experience.

Microsoft seem to be making ground as well (limited cable over IP is already available on Xbox in Australia). I'm not sure what their secret is. Maybe they are just throwing money around.

Looking at the number of sites that are blocking Google TV it seems they may have forgotten entirely about the content owners/providers and just built the device! No doubt they are working on expanding GTV though.

The market is certainly there for someone willing to make a bold move though (assuming it's allowed to go through) like an Apple buy out of Sony, Time Warner or even Walt Disney or Comcast/NBC.

I wonder if the status quo regarding content development via the Networks and cable companies will change in TV. Look how the iTunes eco system once in place allowed independents musicians to by pass the traditional Labels. The problem is venture money. The music labels put up money for touring etc. and typically bet 20:1 on the fact one band would succeed and cover the losses on the other 19. Independents may have direct access to the audience but they don't get that injection of money either by enlarge to tour and heck just eat. The same may happen in TV if one successful model does eventually emerge but again there needs to be the investment / risk money involved from somewhere. Making a TV show pilot isn't cheap. If this could all happen then there is no reason why one day the concept of the Networks is history but some form of financing has to emerge.
post #154 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

name a feature of the apple TV that didn't appear in another product before ATV2 came out?

AirPlay?
post #155 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

There's nothing wrong with being a "fast follower" and not a market innovator - you get to pick your targets, decide what you can do that is different, and you mitigate a lot of risk that goes along with being a market-leader and an innovator.

The trick is. . .you actually have to deliver something that is competitive with, and occasionally better than, the market leader. And you can't have marketing that positions you as a market leader if you're not leading.

All in, MSFT is subjecting us to volley after volley of disphoria - they say one thing, they do another. Sooner or later that's going to be a problem.

Ya you are absolutely right...
post #156 of 156
must be great being a Microsoft exec. you can just take vacation while waiting for Apple to develop new devices and technology, then you go to work duplicating that device or technology for your own brand loyalists. perhaps brilliant...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft to take on Apple TV with Windows-based set top box