or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Report: Tablet buyers will rapidly upgrade, lion's share will be iPads

Report: Tablet buyers will rapidly upgrade, lion's share will be iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Unless there's some sort of price drop, it doesn't seem likely that people will jump to replace a $500-800 device every year.

I'm with you on that one. I think the $500 device is at least a two year purchase, especially if you plan on updating you laptop every three years. Will some people buy one every year, sure, but it won't be at the same rate as the iPod/Phone.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Sorry for being vague. I meant to iterate that that consumers are much more aware of the "iPad" name and product, just like folks know of "iPod".

I think consumer awareness, especially when they are considering purchasing a product, is better defined as "mindshare". "Relative public awareness of a phenomenon" is how the Mac OS X dictionary defines mindshare. (Just hold the cursor over a word and press <ctrl><cmd>D.)

iPad has certainly gained a lot of mindshare since last January. At first, only the techno-geeks knew about it because they surf AppleInsider, Engadget, etc. But by the end of the year, the all-important holiday buying season, even the mainstream public knew all about iPad. And all the clones just made iPad look better.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

My 10-year-old grandson was the last to get a push-down iPhone:

iP4--> me iP 3GS --> My Daughter --> iP 3G --> grandson (SIMless)

His sister and brother each have a pushed-down iP 1s (SIMLess).

Then, my granddaughter was fooling around and flung her Mom's 3GS against the floor smashing it.

My daughter traded her WiFi iPad to the 10-year old in exchange for his (her previous) iP 3G.

So my grandson is the envy of his bro & sis and all his playmates. He takes the iPad everywhere and is very protective of it.

His sister, soon to be 15 is saving for an iPad -- she should have most of the money when the 2 G is announced.

So, we'll push down the iPads as follows:

iPad Gen 2 --> me iPad Wifi + 3G --> my daughter

This approach seems to work quite well. I will buy the iP5 and push it down to my daughter and she will push the iP 3G back to the grandson.

We are trying to teach the middle child to save money, & he will be the only one in the family w/o an iPad. If we can get him to show good saving habits, we will, likely, help him buy an iPad for himself.

They have all had gameboys, peps,etc, and they have lost or broken these.

iDevices have a longer life, are (usually) better taken care of, and have a wide variety of uses: games, movies, apps -- that are purchased once and run on all devices.

It's a pretty good bang for the bucks (and buckets).

Very interesting to read Dick...sounds like a Dr. Zeus story!

"Push down." Hmm. That sounds so superior to "hand-me-down!"

Used to do the same with my daughter with iPods, etc., when she was younger...now at 26 and in her 3rd year of Med School, I suggested that I would give her my iPhone 3Gs so I could get an iPhone 4.

Wow! If looks could maim, I'd have been carried out in a basket!

She looked at me like I was the cheapest bastard in the world....

Needless to say, I got her an iPhone 4! She has the latest and greatest MBP and I have the MB. WTF? Oh well....enjoyed your post immensely!

Best

PS. Still can't believe I created another woman to "boss" me around!
post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Sorry if I did not go into detail but you are spot on in regards to what you stated. I was talking about the main consumer items, i.e. camera, HDMI out, USB to go features, etc.... On the internals, processors, GPU, etc... Apple is leading the pack. Could it be that we were both right?

I think we both are right and the camera is a primary example of how Apple differs from other handset vendors. I think the difference is Apple, for better or for worse, is choosing not to put in a 12Mpx camera with huge lens that takes really great images into their slim iPhones, while other vendors may feel they have no choice but to compete on spec sheet features because they cant compete well in the other areas.

That said, I think I have more hope for Nokia than you do.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 99
Re: "Consumers didn't ask for tablets"

No they didn't. Especially not for the HP Stale, er, Slate running Windows.

Reminds me of a quote by Henry Ford (and no, it's not the "any color as long as it's black" quote):

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said 'a faster horse'."

post #46 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Re: "Consumers didn't ask for tablets"

No they didn't. Especially not for the HP Stale, er, Slate running Windows.

Reminds me of a quote by Henry Ford (and no, it's not the "any color as long as it's black" quote):

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said 'a faster horse'."

Brilliant, SockRolid...I'd never heard that one about the "faster Horse" before!

Did you know that Henry asked a supplier to ship their parts in a wooden box with certain holes cut in the sides? The supplier was perplexed but did so. Henry had the wooden boxes dismantled and used the sides for part of the floor boards and the holes were for the pedals to fit through! I think I have that right.

Best
post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we both are right and the camera is a primary example of how Apple differs from other handset vendors. I think the difference is Apple, for better or for worse, is choosing not to put in a 12Mpx camera with huge lens that takes really great images into their slim iPhones, while other vendors may feel they have no choice but to compete on spec sheet features because they can’t compete well in the other areas. ...

I haven't looked at smartphone camera comparisons recently (not in the last few months), but which phones now have cameras that are ranked as taking better pictures than the iPhone 4?

Not based on (possibly irrelevant) specs like Mpx, but based on an actual comparison of image quality, of course.
post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I haven't looked at smartphone camera comparisons recently (not in the last few months), but which phones now have cameras that are ranked as taking better pictures than the iPhone 4?

Not based on (possibly irrelevant) specs like Mpx, but based on an actual comparison of image quality, of course.

That would be very interesting to know...not that it would make me give up my iphone 4.

I recently sold my Casio EXLIM camera because I thought the iPhone 4 was pretty similar as far as picture quality (HDR, etc.) and now that it has a flash too.

One less thing to forget (camera) as I'm going out the door!
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good eye! I missed that. Seems so obvious now!

I have to agree with the article...I upgraded my iPod shuffles and nano's giving the older ones to my daughter and niece.

I was an original adopter of the 1st gen. iPhone, the first intel iMac and the first intel MacBook. (I have sold my MacBook for $300)

I've sold 2 generations of iPhones (1st gen., and a 3Gs) to now have the iPhone 4 and if ATT lets me, I will sell it and upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it comes out sometime this year.

If my business was doing better, I definitely would have bought an iPad, an MBA and a 27" iMac.

And I would upgrade by selling my older models...for example, let's say I did buy the first gen iPad for $500, used it for 10 months and then sold it for $250 and bought a new one. Essentially, I've "rented" the first one for $25/mo...pretty good deal!

Anyway, perhaps I'm stating the obvious...but I like to have the latest and greatest Apple stuff...but only been able to really accomplish it lately with the iPhones. Next purchase will be a 2nd gen. iPad, though. And an "N" Express!

Best

Here's what I have been using to help pay for my Apple toys since 2003:

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #50 of 99
Quote:

Now that certainly does "not" look like a Dr. Zeus story...good job and continued success!
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

"the top features consumers say they want in a PC are a complete mismatch with the features of the iPad."
But the iPad never was about features and specs.

What I love about the iPad success story is that tons of pros/geeks simply did not get. But wife/girl friend/daughter immediately did. I barely manged to keep our house free of iPadS in 2010 (Initial un-availability helped a lot).
So I will order one iPad2 the moment it is available for "testing". The next steps are easy to predict ....

"What I love about the iPad success story is that tons of pros/geeks simply did not get. But wife/girl friend/daughter immediately did."

That says it all.
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #52 of 99
Quote:

"What I love about the iPad success story is that tons of pros/geeks simply did not get. But wife/girl friend/daughter immediately did."

That says it all.

And may they never meet.
post #53 of 99
Everybody seems to agree that the new iPad competitors are gonna be giving Apple a run for its money. Sure thing, what with new Chips, Cameras, Flash, more Memory, ability to Print, etc.

Everybody seems to be ignoring the Bigger Story that will Come soon after.

Apple has shown that it can make some money of their device. But more importantly, they have shown that they can continue making money of their Macs, Notebooks, Airs, and all the other stuff they sell.

Whats gonna happen to the other mice that are blindly following the Piper. They are forgetting that if people are buying their new and improved iPad clones. Why should they continue to buy their bigger offerings.

I am thinking Dell, HP, and all the other guys are gonna start loosing more and more money.

Microsoft also will not be making as much money on these smaller devices.

How much more separation is this gonna result between Apple and the rest.

I think this is the Bigger Story that is Yet to Come.
post #54 of 99
Quote:

That says it all.

Right on. I remember when it was introduced at the Keynote but not yet released, Jason Snell of MacWorld "got it" but the PCWorld Editor was more reticent. Actually reticent is too charitable...He just did not get it, at all.

PS. Good for you Dick, I'm not allowed to have any "friends" that have vaginas...I guess my GF is a little uptight about that!
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Everybody seems to agree that the new iPad competitors are gonna be giving Apple a run for its money. Sure thing, what with new Chips, Cameras, Flash, more Memory, ability to Print, etc.

The beauty of Apple's lead in the tablet market:

Here, we are almost 1 Year after the iPad announcement and almost 9 months after the first release.

There have been no significant (believable) announcements or releases within that time (Galaxy Tab sales to users is an unknown, and a few others too small to matter).

Beginning at CES and on into 2-3 quarter 2011, others will announce and release somethings.

The others are doing this because they need to -- to have some skin in the game... before it's over.

At some point Apple will announce/release the gen 2 iPad.

Apple can do this whenever it wants to -- to maintain the lead over the competition,

If the competition has a long lead time.... announce/release later!

If the competition has competitive solutions to the iPad 1... announce/release earlier.

It's as if Apple hired the band -- and everyone dances to Apple's tunes.

Apple can change bands, when they tire of the music!
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #56 of 99
Quote:

PS. Good for you Dick, I'm not allowed to have any "friends" that have vaginas...I guess my GF is a little uptight about that!

That's OK -- as long as all of hers do!
-auxio-
-auxio-
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I agree that Apple is way ahead, but I think it's more like 10 years. In terms of hardware, yes, even iPad 1.0 is ahead of all competition. Apple doesn't cut corners, even if it means that their hardware component and manufacturing costs are slightly higher than their competitors'.

But hardware is easy. It's just the first baby step. That's why the HPs, Dells, Samsungs, and Cobys of the world think they can compete against iPad. And since Apple only updates its hardware once a year, a few of the best iPad clones will start to catch up to iPad's specs each year. Just before the new iPad is released, which starts the race all over again.

It's the software that's hard. Because it's the major component of the user experience. Especially now that you can literally touch it. There's nothing between you and your apps any more because iOS gets out of the way, and that's one of the reasons why Apple's iDevices are so successful.

But it's the infrastructure that's the hardest to get right. iTunes for example. It's been around since 2001, before the first iPod was released. It is the reason why iPod took over the portable music player market. And now there's the App Store, which has contributed hugely to iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad popularity.

The infrastructure needs to support multiple hardware devices, multiple OS platforms, and function across many generations of hardware and software. iTunes has done that. Nobody else's music store or app market has done anywhere near as well, and that has badly hurt the competition. They may realize this, but it hasn't stopped them from dumping hopeless wannabe products onto the market.

I couldn't agree more.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #58 of 99
Quote:

I haven't sold a single share in the same period, in fact I've continually added at opportune moments. I just can't part with them ... I maybe need therapy!
post #59 of 99
Quote:

That's OK -- as long as all of hers do!

Now that's funny, DA! Made me laugh out loud!

Actually, she's out with her "best friend.' I never did like that guy!
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I haven't sold a single share in the same period, in fact I've continually added at opportune moments. I just can't part with them ... I maybe need therapy!

Good for you D.

You know you need "therapy," when you are actually looking fwd to your therapy sessions!

All the best!
post #61 of 99
Quote:

The Nokia N8’s 12Mpx camera does individual image sensors are the same size as the iPhone 4 at 1.75µm. Since it has 12 million v. 5 million individual image sensors its image sensor covers 2.4x the area. Even if it was using the smaller size sensors, like the 1.4µm found in the 3GS it would still be a larger image sensor.

I can’t remark on the software’s ability as I’ve never used it and pulling up photos would be suggestive, as would be the conclusion as to whether it’s worth that one feature, but a quick Google search should yield some comparisons of what I consider to be impressive pics from a phone… or is a camera with a phone.
post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Consumers didn't ask for tablets," Epps wrote in her summary last June.

They still don't.
They ask for iPads.
post #63 of 99
Quote:

I think we both are right and the camera is a primary example of how Apple differs from other handset vendors. I think the difference is Apple, for better or for worse, is choosing not to put in a 12Mpx camera with huge lens that takes really great images into their slim iPhones, while other vendors may feel they have no choice but to compete on spec sheet features because they cant compete well in the other areas.

That said, I think I have more hope for Nokia than you do.

Maybe so. Nokia's "sold out" announcement for the N8 was a bit misleading. Yes they sold out but only in Nokia shops. Nokia waited 2 to 4 weeks before they released the phone to the carriers. So, yes they sold out but at the carrier level you can go and get an N8, but iPhones are sold out. Literally.
post #64 of 99
Quote:

If they are, "crippled by an OS that is well behind the intuitiveness of the iPhone," how can you be sure the hardware is so great?

I don't really pay attention to Nokia (they are irrelevant as far as smartphones go at this point) but I haven't seen any Android phones with hardware that, "simply blows the iPhone out of the water."

Simple. I don't live in a myopic iOS only world. While I will most likely never own a high end Nokia smartphone again, I do acknowledge that they exist and I also give credit where credit is due. The N8 is not for me but for some. The camera is the best ever mounted in a smartphone and the feature set is quite impressive.
post #65 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Unless there's some sort of price drop, it doesn't seem likely that people will jump to replace a $500-800 device every year.

Here's hoping that there WILL be a price drop!

My reasons to believe that the price will drop (~$100?)
1) Apple has tons of reserve cash and may favor unit sales versus profit margin (get the devices out there and dominate the market)

2) The first-gen iPad has sold many units, allowing for thinner profit margins per unit and economies of scale.

3) Apple may wish to continue their momentum against the competition by being aggressive on the price. Recreate their success with the iPod, where a ~70% market share made "iPod" synonymous with MP3 player.

4) Even the uber-elite iPhone dropped some $200 from 2007 to 2008. Then again, that was with a service contract.
post #66 of 99
Quote:

If I recall correctly the Nokia N8s 12Mpx camera does uses image sensors that are the same size as the iPhone 4 at 1/3.2 (1.4µm), which was an improvement over the previous iPhones with a 1/4 (1.75µm) sensors. Since it has 12 million v. 5 million the image sensor area is considerably larger, even if its using the smaller sensors than that. I cant remark on the softwares ability and pulling up photos would be suggestive, as would be the conclusion as to whether its worth that feature, but a quick Google search should yield some comparisons.

Its the 7Mpx cellphone cameras that I see as more of a marketing trick as they tend to use smaller image sensors packed into the same exact area as the 5Mpx cameras.

There is info about the camera and sensor over on the allaboutsymbian.com site as well as the Nokia conversations site. It is a bigger sensor. Not sure if it is the same size as the iPhones though.
post #67 of 99
Who wants to see what Asus is bringing to the table[t]?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4085/a...slate-tablets/
post #68 of 99
Quote:

Plain wrong with fanboy blinders one. The hardware on Nokia phones simply blows the iPhone out of the water as do most Android phones, however they are crippled by an OS that is well behind the intuitiveness of the iPhone. While they are behind from an OS or software prospective, they are up to date and even surpasses the iPhone on the hardware front.

Sheer power does not equal hardware.

Apple had a 1 year start with the iPhone and has a 1 year start with the iPad.
They are refining their hardware selections/designs when their competitors are releasing their first generation products.
post #69 of 99
Those figures are ridiculously conservative. 24 million in 2011 is 6 million a quarter. Demand for tablets would have probably had to plateau in Q410 for that to happen.

Personally I expect tablets to eventually displace laptops completely. There are children who have already been born who will never use a laptop. This is going to happen fast. Put an iPad in somebody's hands and they just get it. It's better. It's how computers were meant to be used. It's how they were envisioned by computer pioneers and science fiction authors.
post #70 of 99
Quote:

Interesting, S. But looks a little "Dell-ish" to me. I'm sure they have some good ideas that Apple can improve upon.

Sorry if the above sounds a bit churlish....don't mean to sound like a fanboi but I'm a bit jaded when it comes to the PC/Windows world's offerings!

Best
post #71 of 99
Quote:

Agreed, if my GF was nicer to me, I would get her an iPhone 4 and an iPad!

She's out right now with her "best friend."

I never did like that guy!

Who's her "best friend?" John McCain? You could do worse...
post #72 of 99
Quote:

So Dick, is Lucy your wife or is she your GF? Inquiring minds want to know. And where does Ms. Jolly fit into this?
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Who's her "best friend?" John McCain? You could do worse...

Yep, no problem, I would just make her take a shower...
post #74 of 99
Quote:

I love my iPad, but I'm pretty taken aback by the 1080 playback... is that only with the HDMI out, or on the device itself? ....Also, an i5 chip??? Crikey!!!!
post #75 of 99
Quote:

Agreed, if my GF was nicer to me, I would get her an iPhone 4 and an iPad!

She's out right now with her "best friend."

I never did like that guy!

Damn. Then I'll have to buy mine an Aston Martin.
post #76 of 99
Quote:

The Nokia N8s 12Mpx camera does individual image sensors are the same size as the iPhone 4 at 1.75µm. Since it has 12 million v. 5 million individual image sensors its image sensor covers 2.4x the area. Even if it was using the smaller size sensors, like the 1.4µm found in the 3GS it would still be a larger image sensor.

I cant remark on the softwares ability as Ive never used it and pulling up photos would be suggestive, as would be the conclusion as to whether its worth that one feature, but a quick Google search should yield some comparisons of what I consider to be impressive pics from a phone or is a camera with a phone.

But, are the pictures/video better from that camera? Impressive specs don't necessarily a great camera (or smartphone) make. That's my point: quoting specs doesn't equal "better" hardware. And, especially, if we assume the N8 camera is better, for the sake of argument, that also doesn't equal better hardware if it's one good component in a system that isn't otherwise great, as well as this definitely being a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Consumers didn't ask for tablets," Epps wrote in her summary last June. "In fact, Forrester's data shows that the top features consumers say they want in a PC are a complete mismatch with the features of the iPad."

One of the nicest examples I have seen of the fact that you should not base your designs on what users of current systems are telling you what they want.

"Wisdom of the crowds". Sure.
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

So Dick, is Lucy your wife or is she your GF? Inquiring minds want to know. And where does Ms. Jolly fit into this?

Hey Tod,

Ms Jolly was part of the CP family.

Lucy is my friend, my wife and the love of my life.

I am honored that, to many of the people that knew us at Computer Plus -- I was known as Mr. Lucy.

Lucy died, suddenly, peacefully, on Feb 18, 2001 of a seizure disorder.

We had 35 1/2 wonderful years.

Because we retired early (ages 50, 48), we got to play and enjoy each other for more than 10 wonderful years.

It is an amazing experience to start each day saying and hearing "I love you" and, during the day-- to make each other laugh.

-auxio-
-auxio-
post #79 of 99
Quote:

Simple. I don't live in a myopic iOS only world. While I will most likely never own a high end Nokia smartphone again, I do acknowledge that they exist and I also give credit where credit is due. The N8 is not for me but for some. The camera is the best ever mounted in a smartphone and the feature set is quite impressive.

I don't think you have any idea what makes for good hardware, or any idea of what you are talking about.
post #80 of 99
it's funny, when I drop in, you can ALWAYS be sure anonymouse is busy with the same line "you have no idea what you're talking about blah blah.

Man. Someone needs some more fibre in their diet...

Anyway, it seems people are beginning to recognize that in mobile it's an extremely fast paced platform, and people are upgrading o a much faster schedule than say with PCs. I don't know too many people who have had their smartphones for much more than 2 years. Which means this has not only just begin, but things will rapidly change quite quickly. There are a lot of huge companies used to making hardware for windows, so it will be a matter of time before they all flood the market with ipad knock-offs. As long as apple keeps up this pace of staying ahead of the game, they'll always be a significant bite in the mobile space, though I doubt they'll continue to dominate the tablet numbers as they have so far.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Report: Tablet buyers will rapidly upgrade, lion's share will be iPads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Report: Tablet buyers will rapidly upgrade, lion's share will be iPads