or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Asus take aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products

Asus take aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Weve seen reviews of how different capacitance systems react to slow moving input devices and input near the edge of the display. I think the OP has a valid point when looking at the results from previous tests. Maybe Asus was able to work out a solution to write that well at the edge of a display or maybe that is just a really great stylus, I suppose well find out in 4-10 month when these finally ship. LOL
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...periority.html

Oh, he was talking about the edge. I thought he meant the overall smoothness of the writing. But I do remember the articles about the weird performance at the edges of capacitive screens.

Sucks that we'll have to wait a few months before the ship. I hope that brick and mortar stores will sell them so I can go see for myself.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, How'd he do dat, Howdy Doody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism
. . .

Well, you know solipsism .... to paraphrase Keith Whitely .... He says it best ... when he says nothing at all.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

Before the iPhone prototype Android phones looked like Blackberries with plenty of buttons. Look at the photos in the illustrative chart in the article.

For a close up example I'll provide a link:
http://buy-google-phone.com/?p=18

After the iPhone Android phones like the Nexus One look like iPhones and functioned like iPhones with touch vs button interface.

Before iPhone Android phones were Blackberry Clones, after they were iPhone clones.

You cannot however with 100% certainty conclude this. There is no reason to believe that Android couldn't do both form factors, as before them WinMob did both that form factor and full screen form factors, and in development they used the BB format, which is something Palm used a lot. Factor also in that LG demoed a phone (however unsuccessful) that had a capacitive touch screen input one month before the iphone. It isn't as if Apple was the only one who had an epiphany about capacitive input.
post #84 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

It isn't as if Apple was the only one who had an epiphany about capacitive input.

They were the first ones to do it right ... based on consumer reaction in buying them and competitors reaction in copying them .... the evidence of that fact is obvious to anyone who isn't "afraid to admit it".
post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Will they really sell like boatloads though:

Will enterprise employees be required to carry a personal tablet and a business tablet?

No. They will only be "required" to carry their biz-device, or lose their job I would expect.

Quote:
I think that battle is already being won.

Again... I agree. With the caveat: The "Consumer-Market" has been won. The bigger enterprise market is sitting on the fence. They want the iPad. But they want it at it's cheapest price -50% - ~$200-250. And, they will get just that opportunity at the latest Q3-2011. It will be a dive to the bottom with 80-100 devices on the horizon.

Quote:
Consider:

1) Many enterprises already allow employees to choose the smart phone they carry

2) Other enterprises support employees to BYOP -- Bring Your Own Phone.

True. But we're talking about enterprise/individual business-specific apps on the tablets. Email and calendering has been taken care of with the phones, and is integrated flexibly on all smart-phones.

Quote:
Also, many enterprises already have budget, trained developers in place, systems designed and solutions being implemented for the iPad. These solutions are designed to give the enterprise a competitive or technological advantage.

Many of these implementations will be completed before most of these new tablets are available in any reasonable quantity and stage of completion.

Seriously. you are the CIO with a proven solution in hand -- the iPad, the SDK, the Developers and the infrastructure. You are 6 months down the road on your projects.

Will you stop, re-evaluate, and repurpose your effort on a whim and a promise -- whatever the price?

Those that have started and are in pre-roll-out phase will naturally not look back. They are the smart ones to be sure, because they have people in place that trust their CIO and IT staff.

Question:
1) how many IT departments are hampered by the folks over in Accounting?
2) how many IT folk despise Apple, and don't even know that there's an enterprise developer program from Apple.
NOTE: I don't know how many tech people I've had to tell of this fact, after they make the statement that, "no way in hell are we going to put our biz-app on the App-Store".
Yes... 1 word answer to both: Pathetic!

Quote:
Take, the PlayBook, for example? Or any of these new tablets. When will all the necessary pieces be in place -- so that you are confident enough to bet your company's resources (and your CIO job) on them?

For the enterprise, only 1 (one) element needs to be in place: the dev platform. I do believe it's there, and if they so choose, they can even dev their completely OWN OS and UI if the want, as the carriers have shown.

Quote:
The race is already being run and some horses are just approaching the starting gate.

So true. However... I... and you... have seen this race before. I do believe I remember the ending. But ya know what? Who cares? Apple's not going away. Nor their happy devs.

Neither will my personal choice change, nor my weighted and rather influential suggestions to my business partners and clients to use Apple devices and solutions.

However I must be aware of "the walls" being thrown up to block my suggestions and good standing. I must have answers to "why" they should spend $500-600 for a tablet, rather than half. And my consulting reputation is built on pragmatism, knowledge, and honesty.

So if the scenerio is moving CRM or product tracking processes from an AS400 system; bridged with a Java kit to be "browser-friendly"; and the people holding the device in their hands are still most comfortable with the horrid database mask created in 1985, and have user deficiencies with even IE and email.... well truthfully... putting a "Porsche" in their hands is costly overkill based on that briefing.

HOWEVER, with that early prognosis, and assuming I would steer the client towards a "cheap alternative"... I have been very successful getting the people in charge to go Apple. Mainly because of ROI, quality of build, ease of use, dev accessibility... and the unquantifiable "fun factor" for the people using the device. Even "cool factor" comes into play, since I have some folks even your age, that are "cool again" to their nephews and nieces, dare I say grand kiddies. Pardon me for throwing a "sucker-punch" aimed at the ego every once in awhile to get my way
Quote:
"For wete you well the tyde abydeth no man"

So. I've proved I can "spin". However I can't say that about many a consultant. And the "tyde" of number-crunchers just don't give a "fart" about fun or cool. Excel is king... and the numbers don't lie... or do they? And "Jonesing" in accountant circles re: micro-quantifiable-factoring and the coolest way to present it in a pie chart or graph... is sickening! Believe me!

How appropriate that you use a quote that sums up the average enterprise and their quest for quarterly results, all too well.

Time..albeit very short thank you... will tell. I still say the "tide" is against "us". That is if you're still with me, and haven't fallen asleep in boredom

Quote:
Tablets and Tide wait for no man!

Yes... and regardless of which one is your choice, have fun with it and embrace the challenge of being in on another "revolution". Great stuff awaits, and I'm all to happy to join in.

PS. I posted here about a year back about "turning on" the secretaries at one of my clients (Ad Agency), by getting them iMacs rather than upgrade their Dells. Used the "Devil Wore Prada" even in my sales-pitch . "The Girls" are still all gaga and tickled when I make a surprise visit, and wanna know when I'll make the pitch for "iPads 4 All". Fun-Factor = happy and motivated employees. Tough to "quantify" for the Excel-freaks, but management loves me.

Now about one of them thar "gals".... hmmm....? - think the tan and sunglasses will work? - too professional to ask.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Asus take aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Asus take aim at iPad with scattershot of Android and Windows products