or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › CES: Next-gen iPad case mockup, Lenovo reveals iPad challenger

CES: Next-gen iPad case mockup, Lenovo reveals iPad challenger

post #1 of 42
A Consumer Electronics Show exhibitor is displaying a sample case for the the second-generation iPad with a machined aluminum mockup of Apple's unreleased tablet that resembles supposed iPad 2 cases seen online, while Lenovo has announced its first tablet, the LePad, which will attempt to take on the iPad in the PC maker's home country of China.

iPad 2 mockup

China-based manufacturer Dexim is showing off the case, which sports a Bluetooth keyboard that uses magnets to stick to the front cover, Engadget reports. According to the report, the case matches purported iPad 2 cases that were spotted online last month.

Several models of cases for the upcoming iPad were taken down from the international trade site Alibaba.com after the site received a "legitimate takedown request" from an unspecified source last week. The leaked cases lent support to rumors that the next iPad will have a flat back and a larger speaker.

Dexim's aluminum iPad 2 mockup is slimmer than the first-generation iPad, with tapered edges reminiscent of the iPod touch and space for a front and back camera, as well as the space for the rumored larger speaker.

LePad

Lenovo revealed its first challenger to Apple's iPad, a 10.1-inch Google Android-based tablet called the LePad, to the press Tuesday evening. The tablet will run Android 2.2 and has a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, Computerworld reports.

Leo Li, senior product manager at Lenovo, told reporters that the LePad will go on sale in China later this quarter for a price between $399 and $449. Overseas distribution of the tablet has yet to be decided, though Lenovo may offer a U.S. version that connects to the Android Market.

The PC maker also revealed preliminary plans to launch several other Android-based tablets in the U.S., possibly in the second half of the year, but declined to provide more specific details.

In July 2010, Lenovo CEO Liu Chuanzhi reportedly said that his company is "lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn't care about China," noting that the company "would be in trouble" if Apple spent the same amount of effort as Lenovo on the Chinese consumer.

Liu's luck may have come to an end, however, as Apple has seen tremendous interest in its products since July. In September, the Cupertino, Calif., company launched both the iPad and the iPhone 4 to long lines, with fans lining up days in advance. Sales of the iPhone 4 by China Unicom surpassed 100,000 in just four days, with another 100,000 preorders to fulfill.

After opening two more retail stores on the day of the iPhone 4 launch, Apple now has a total of four stores in China, two in Shanghai and two in Beijing. In October, the company launched an online Apple Store for China, as well as a Simplified Chinese language version of the App Store.

Even with the addition of more stores and an online store, Apple has struggled to meet demand for the iPhone 4, iPad and MacBook Air in China.

Lenovo could be in trouble on its home turf, as analyst Brian White of Ticonderoga believes China is "in the early stages of catching 'Apple fever.'" According to a December check by White, the iPhone 4 still has wait times of around two months, while China Unicom has been unable to fulfill about a third of its preorders.
post #2 of 42
Well... If I'm reading the guy's name badge properly, it looks like Thomas Wagner(??) should expect a nice little phone call from Apple!
post #3 of 42
That can't be an iPad 2 because its dimensions are totally off. Totally. Is everyone missing that? I have an iPad, and that "mockup" doesn't look anything like my iPad.
post #4 of 42
can't wait till the iPad 2 coming out.

"Apple sells premium products at premium prices to premium customers." Cheapskates need not apply 

"Apple sells premium products at premium prices to premium customers." Cheapskates need not apply 

post #5 of 42
I'm lovin my iPad. Especially running jailbroken 4.2.1 untethered! Muah ha ha ha. No, I don't pirate apps.
post #6 of 42
Apple has yet to flex it's software muscles.

They could put the emphasis on software rather than functions. I hope they put iLife on the app store. It may update iWork for iPad2.
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdano View Post

That can't be an iPad 2 because its dimensions are totally off. Totally. Is everyone missing that? I have an iPad, and that "mockup" doesn't look anything like my iPad.

Perhaps it's just the perspective it seems about right relative to his hand size to me.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #8 of 42
"Le" Pad
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdano View Post

It isn't an iPad 2, it's a mock-up based on the leaked dimensions.

Also, even it was, why would you expect it to look the same as the iPad 1?
post #10 of 42
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lenovo preemptively announce a tablet last year just a couple weeks before the iPad was announced? It was supposed to have some kind of fancy dock that essentially turned it into a netbook/laptop ...

LePad looks like a pretty good answer to the iPad ... too bad it probably won't stand a chance against the iPad 2. Think they would have learned from the past, or at least asked Microsoft how their similar strategy has worked for them the past ten years.
post #11 of 42
Isn't it funny how so many people and news media mocked the name iPad, and now that it became successful you get competing products named LePad and EePad?
bb
bb
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Isn't it funny how so many people and news media mocked the name iPad, and now that it became successful you get competing products named LePad and EePad?

sorry to burst your bubble, Lenovo had this name in mind when they originally said thye would eventually make it (before ipad name was known) last time i checked

Lenovo is one of the few computer companies that actually.... INNOVATES!!

i don't think that new case looks real either

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #13 of 42
Quote:

It's not funny, it's sad. ThinkPad was an acceptable name, anything afterwards... well, we got used to it so we don't mind much. However, some more imagination in both design and naming wouldn't hurt.
post #14 of 42
They made a mockup? If these guys don't get done for breach of NDA I don't know who would. It's not just someone said this or someone said that, it's physical proof.
post #15 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm lovin my iPad. Especially running jailbroken 4.2.1 untethered! Muah ha ha ha. No, I don't pirate apps.

Don't kid yourself. All us jailbreakers are pirates. Why, there's no other reason to jailbreak anymore.
post #16 of 42
Quote:

Copiers do what they say they'll do.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 42
Hmm, I like the flat back on the new iPad. I didn't really like the rounded edges on that and the iPod touch since it never laid flat.

I hope the next iPad is lighter, too. It has a lot of unncessecary weight, imo.
post #18 of 42
Since this plastic piece of Chinese shit is not offered here, who cares? You really really don't have to report everything.

SENT FROM MY IPAD
post #19 of 42
CES, CES . . . ? OH, you mean that Copy Everything Steve show?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Summer '09 Macbook 6 GB RAM, SSD; iPhone 3GS, aTV v.2

Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Anyone who lives in me and [trusts]...
Summer '09 Macbook 6 GB RAM, SSD; iPhone 3GS, aTV v.2

Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Anyone who lives in me and [trusts]...
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Everything? I didn't realize Apple made refrigerators, cameras, televisions or dishwashers...

Although I'd like to see them do that.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Everything? I didn't realize Apple made refrigerators, cameras, televisions or dishwashers...

They made cameras. QuickTake!

iWash. One quart of water, six watts. But only 100% cotton clothes.
post #23 of 42
LePad?

And you thought the iPad/tampon jokes were overdone - wait until that one hits the market.
post #24 of 42

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/4/12 at 12:44pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:

Hmm, I like the flat back on the new iPad. I didn't really like the rounded edges on that and the iPod touch since it never laid flat.

I hope the next iPad is lighter, too. It has a lot of unncessecary weight, imo.

You think apple's engineers put some extra weight into the current iPad, just for kicks?
post #26 of 42
Isn't Apple planning on opening some extraordinary number of new stores in China this year? Like a dozen or so?
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

You think apple's engineers put some extra weight into the current iPad, just for kicks?

I love how a simple comment got you so upset.

With less-heavy casing I assume it would be pretty simple to make it at least a little lighter.
post #28 of 42
Quote:

With less-heavy casing I assume it would be pretty simple to make it at least a little lighter.

It already weighs about the same as a pint of beer. Nobody seems to have any problem lifting those repeatedly.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... In July 2010, Lenovo CEO Liu Chuanzhi reportedly said that his company is "lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn't care about China," noting that the company "would be in trouble" if Apple spent the same amount of effort as Lenovo on the Chinese consumer. ...

Oops. That statement will be quoted for all eternity, each time Apple has another epic win in China.
And that will be happening increasingly frequently from now on.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #30 of 42
Quote:

Well, you have to hand it to Dell for bucking that trend with its Brown Streak.
post #31 of 42
Quote:

No, that's LG (lotsa garbage) that makes everything from barbecues to ship propellors to fertilizer. Lucky goldstone indeed.
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Anybody around here (besides Dick Applebaum and me) old enough to remember the Princess phone that AT&T sold in the 60s? The first models were impossible to dial (they only had rotary dials in those days as well) because the phone slid all over the table when you tried to spin that dial. AT&T had to insert a couple of lead weights (I'm not making this up!) to make it heavy enough so that the non-slip pads on the bottom actually gripped the table's surface.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Anybody around here (besides Dick Applebaum and me) old enough to remember the Princess phone that AT&T sold in the 60s? The first models were impossible to dial (they only had rotary dials in those days as well) because the phone slid all over the table when you tried to spin that dial. AT&T had to insert a couple of lead weights (I'm not making this up!) to make it heavy enough so that the non-slip pads on the bottom actually gripped the table's surface.

Wouldn't it have been easier to make a dialing mechanism with more play in it, thus lowering the amount of force required to spin it?
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wouldn't it have been easier to make a dialing mechanism with more play in it, thus lowering the amount of force required to spin it?

Since I worked on those phones as a repairman I think I have some insight to that problem.

The rotary dials were built to a certain specification. The rewind mechanism was a heavy-duty spring made to withstand years of dialing phone numbers with at least seven digits. When rewinding, the dial would actuate a make/break circuit that had to be very precise (IIRC ten pulses per second) or the switching equipment in the central office wouldn't recognize the dialed digit.
post #35 of 42
Quote:

I love how a simple comment got you so upset. ;.

Careful, you don't want to show your hand too quickly. Get a few dozen posts in, at least.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Careful, you don't want to show your hand too quickly. Get a few dozen posts in, at least.

And at least put a little thought into the username. I caught him on his 2nd post but he denied it.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...54&postcount=8
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

Apple has yet to flex it's software muscles.

They could put the emphasis on software rather than functions. I hope they put iLife on the app store. It may update iWork for iPad2.

They should definitely bring iLife to the iPad.
By the inherit limitations in iPad apps they wont be as good as the desktop counterpart but will prove to be more than adequate for many users' needs.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #38 of 42
Apple has a serious problem in China in that most of the iPhones and iPads here are purchased on the gray market and come from the sellers already hacked and loaded with pirated software. Further, the iTunes store is not easy to access or purchase from due to credit card / transaction restrictions. Even iMac sales are problematic for Apple as many, if not most, run them with Windoze XP crap instead of OS X, even when they purchase them from the Apple store directly so consumers don't fully understand the tremendous advantages of running OS X and un-hacked iOS (such as ease of doing updates).
post #39 of 42
Quote:

sorry for quoting you again but to be more specific lenovos product line (of mobile computer)
Thinkpad (laptop, business grade)
Ideapad (for regular consumers, lifestyle grade)

post #40 of 42

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/4/12 at 12:43pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › CES: Next-gen iPad case mockup, Lenovo reveals iPad challenger