or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store - Page 4

post #121 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Taking bets on the big announcements for CES 2012.

The WINDOWS APP STORE

THE HP APP STORE

THE SONY APP STORE

and so on............

AND they were all working on it since 1908
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #122 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Way cool. I saw a post in the Ubuntu forums recently looking for music production software. What do you use on that system?


It would be, but I agree we're not likely to see custom repos on an Apple system.

You may want to give this a try (its what I have installed on my Music creation computer):
http://ubuntustudio.org/

Sadly, I've found nothing that really compares to Garageband for simplicity. Things you loose on a Linux machine: Pretty looks, simplicity (for most audio programs, you have to be running JACK, and make the proper virtual connections like you would in a real audio rack rig to get it all working) and ease of setup (having to install MIDI voices, a real-time kernel, etc...)

Popular Audio Programs:
Aurdor
Jokosher
Rosegarden
LMMS
Hydrogen
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #123 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4460 .

There isn't much there. According to what I saw, the 10.6.6 update is a futile update !

What are the fixed bugs ?

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Reply

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Reply
post #124 of 252
Just like every CORPORATION, Apple's first priority is to provide the largest possible return to their SHAREHOLDERS. Everything else is a means to that end.

Apple makes huge profit margins off most of their products, because they have the infrastructure of a much smaller company. Steve Jobs said it himself: he has to take programmers off one project and have them focus on others.

We consumers are paying exorberant prices for these products because we expect them to work. <--- PERIOD!! Anything else defeats the purpose.

Apple needs to expand (and expend some profit on) Quality Assurance and increase its programming force.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #125 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4460 .

at the risk of sounding redundant, the above link does not answer the question. It is specific to changes in the Server 10.6.6 and does not list any of the client changes. At the end it says "also includes all improvements delivered in the client" ....and redirects to HT4459. Which is still blank.
post #126 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlife2 View Post

at the risk of sounding redundant, the above link does not answer the question. It is specific to changes in the Server 10.6.6 and does not list any of the client changes. At the end it says "also includes all improvements delivered in the client" ....and redirects to HT4459. Which is still blank.

it's not blank...open in safari..or try another browser..
post #127 of 252
deleted
post #128 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post

There isn't much there. According to what I saw, the 10.6.6 update is a futile update !

What are the fixed bugs ?

I thought you would.

But for the Mac App Store, I beg to differ.

For those interested why, I would suggest that the folks at Pixelmator represent most of the Apple development community and those of us that appreciate Apple and its offerings.

Pixelmator; Transition to the Mac App Store http://www.pixelmator.com/transition/
post #129 of 252
This is nice... I already own Unison from Panic Software and when I look it up in the App Store it says "installed" even though I didn't buy it through the App Store. Does this mean I will get updates through there from now on? Hope so.

Edit: First purchase = Smultron programmer's editor
post #130 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is nice... I already own Unison from Panic Software and when I look it up in the App Store it says "installed" even though I didn't buy it through the App Store. Does this mean I will get updates through there from now on? Hope so.

As posted:
Quote:
Keep your apps up to date.
Since developers are constantly improving their apps, the App Store for Mac keeps track of your apps and tells you when an update is available. Update one app at a time or all of them at once, and youll always have the latest version of every app you own.

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

Anyone that hasn't perused the two pages on the Mac App Store should. Then perhaps half the questions here would have been unnecessary.
post #131 of 252
The App Store is great.

I upgraded to 10.6.6 and bought Aperture and Page from the App Store on my iMac.

I then upgrade my MacBook and logged into the App Store, low and behold both Aperture and Pages are there, I just clicked on Install and I now have both titles on both computers, for the same low price!!!!!

Aperture was £174 per computer this morning, this afternoon I have it on both machines for £44.99, now that is progress.

Ian
post #132 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is nice... I already own Unison from Panic Software and when I look it up in the App Store it says "installed" even though I didn't buy it through the App Store. Does this mean I will get updates through there from now on? Hope so.

Edit: First purchase = Smultron programmer's editor

Yes you should get updates via the App Store if the App is recognised as installed.
post #133 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

We'll be reminiscing in years to come about the smell of the new box and packaging back in the old days

reminiscing
post #134 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My current number one wish is a really, really awesome update to iWeb, maybe even iWeb Pro.

It's here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rapid...02477569?mt=12


Seriously...it's so much better and worth every penny. Just wait a day or two because there's been a problem with the themes not downloading with the app. Should be an easy fix.
post #135 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just curious, why would you want to download what you already have?

After signing in with my Apple ID and taking a quick look around, I thought I would install Evernote. I already had Evernote on my Mac. After installing it through the app store, Evernote is the only app showing up as 'installed' under the 'Purchases' tab. I have many apps on Mac. I'd like to see them all in one place in the App Store. It seems silly to have to re-download apps to get them to show up there. I haven't tried downloading a purchased app. When I do, I'm hoping the App Store won't charge me for something I already own. I'd like the App Store to already know that I own it. Does that make sense? If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know.
post #136 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

FinalCut is a mega-sized app. Can't imagine they would make it available for download...

The Final Cut Studio is over 30GB for sure but the individual apps in the suite only come to 5GB or so when installed without the templates and extras. Individually the apps are smaller still around 1GB or under. Apple could sell them separately and have an online template gallery that you can browse and download the ones you want when you need them.

Selling FCS for £499 would seriously put people off buying Premiere or Avid no matter how crusty it gets.

This should help drive down the cost of Mac games as well as other software.
post #137 of 252
All I have done with the new store is read about it. WIll be updating and going for a test run soon. It does look pretty spiffy. A really nice mac feature.

One thing I am curious about, and wonder if anyone has tried. As we all know, OSX has multiple user profiles built in to it. If I login to a mac with my user ID, assuming I am an administrator of the mac, and download a mac app/program with my Apple ID, will that app/program be available to all other users on that machine? Seems like maybe there are some license issues with that.
post #138 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

After signing in with my Apple ID and taking a quick look around, I thought I would install Evernote. I already had Evernote on my Mac. After installing it through the app store, Evernote is the only app showing up as 'installed' under the 'Purchases' tab. I have many apps on Mac. I'd like to see them all in one place in the App Store. It seems silly to have to re-download apps to get them to show up there. I haven't tried downloading a purchased app. When I do, I'm hoping the App Store won't charge me for something I already own. I'd like the App Store to already know that I own it. Does that make sense? If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know.

"Does that make sense" ? Not a lot to be honest

Why did you re purchase something you already had? BTW it will charge you for something you already own if it is a third party application. Only those Apps you buy from Apple will show up in the updates section I suspect.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #139 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I'd like the App Store to already know that I own [an app].

Second. That would be a great feature, and seems easy enough to implement? Steve?
post #140 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Yes you should get updates via the App Store if the App is recognised as installed.

That's what I would have thought, but just checking with the Panic blog they say that even though it is recognized as installed, updates won't come through because it's a separate license.
http://www.panic.com/blog/
post #141 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

All I have done with the new store is read about it. WIll be updating and going for a test run soon. It does look pretty spiffy. A really nice mac feature.

One thing I am curious about, and wonder if anyone has tried. As we all know, OSX has multiple user profiles built in to it. If I login to a mac with my user ID, assuming I am an administrator of the mac, and download a mac app/program with my Apple ID, will that app/program be available to all other users on that machine? Seems like maybe there are some license issues with that.

Not 100% sure but my bet is yes. Apps are in the root apps folder not user. It would fit in with the Apple attitude to this I'd think.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #142 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Does that make sense" ? Not a lot to be honest

Why did you re purchase something you already had? BTW it will charge you for something you already own if it is a third party application. Only those Apps you buy from Apple will show up in the updates section I suspect.

Evernote was a free app, so I there was no risk of being charged. I would like to know what it recognizes as "apps". I have iPhoto etc and iWork. How do I get those apps to show up in the App Store?
post #143 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Second. That would be a great feature, and seems easy enough to implement? Steve?

You'd have the screams of privacy invasion ringing out from the hill tops though. Think of all the millions of bootlegs in use. If the Apps store looked at your applications folder and reported to the mothership there would be law suits.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #144 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

Evernote was a free app, so I there was no risk of being charged. I would like to know what it recognizes as "apps". I have iPhoto etc and iWork. How do I get those apps to show up in the App Store?

My iLife and iWorks show as already owned. Did you have the iApps in their original location as installed by the installation process? If you renamed or moved them or enclosing folders that messes it up. Also perhaps they need to be registered?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #145 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I suspect the Mac app store only detects apps purchased from the Mac app store.

Not so. It sees almost everyone of my non-Apple, non-App Store installed apps.
post #146 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My iLife and iWorks show as already owned. Did you have the iApps in their original location as installed by the installation process? If you renamed or moved them or enclosing folders that messes it up. Also perhaps they need to be registered?

After I installed my purchased and licensed software, I didn't move them. I get updates with the "Software Updates" when needed. I would think that the App Store should see these?
post #147 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Installed and fully operational.


NO NEW IWORK 11. Just the old one.

Sad face for now new iWork.

Can't wait to get home and see what's on the store.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #148 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Just like every CORPORATION, Apple's first priority is to provide the largest possible return to their SHAREHOLDERS. ...

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.
post #149 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

Not so. It sees almost everyone of my non-Apple, non-App Store installed apps.

Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?
post #150 of 252
It seems like "installed" and "purchased" are two separate concepts here. Purchased means it was bought through the App Store and you get automatic updates and the ability to install on multiple Macs. Installed could mean that, or it could mean it was just an app you previously owned, in which case you don't get centralised updates and multi-mac install.
post #151 of 252
I have to say the App Store sure is fast. I guess having a 3GHz processor and a wired Ethernet makes a difference over my iPad.
post #152 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Taking bets on the big announcements for CES 2012.

THE SONY APP STORE

I have an idea, they could call it the PSN

Oh wait...
post #153 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It seems like "installed" and "purchased" are two separate concepts here. Purchased means it was bought through the App Store and you get automatic updates and the ability to install on multiple Macs. Installed could mean that, or it could mean it was just an app you previously owned, in which case you don't get centralised updates and multi-mac install.

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?
post #154 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

Umm, go to your Apps folder?
post #155 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygoodchild View Post

Not seeing anything in Software Update here.

Are you running Snow Leopard? App store is not for previous OS versions.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #156 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

I would like this too, I hope it comes with a future update. The only thing I can think of for now is somehow use Spotlight to find all apps but I don't know really.
post #157 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestival View Post

No new version of iWork sucks... a lot.

Good things happen to those who wait. ....
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #158 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

FinalCut is a mega-sized app. Can't imagine they would make it available for download...

Note that Apple is fine with pushing out a minor x.x.1 update at 600MB for the current iPhone and theire developer tools are more than a GB and updated often. I dont think size is an issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #159 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

Umm, go to your Apps folder?

I don't see an "apps folder" in the App Store. I do know where my Applications Folder is on my Mac. Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

Some things that I own are listed as 'Installed', and others are not. For example, 'Installed' are Numbers, Keynote & Pages. It wants me to pay for things I already own like iPhoto, iMovie, OmniFocus for Mac, and Things. Is there a simple step I'm missing? I'd like the App Store to recognize what I already own.
post #160 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note that Apple is fine with pushing out a minor x.x.1 update at 600MB for the current iPhone and theire developer tools are more than a GB and updated often. I dont think size is an issue.

Agreed and no doubt there will be an option for the shipped version on those larger apps for those who are internet challenged, no doubt at a higher price plus shipping.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store