or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store - Page 5

post #161 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.

Agreed. Business for publicly owned companies is a balance between share holders and customers and personally I think Apple do an amazing job at both.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #162 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Adobe has to be freaking.

I'll say ... Pixelmator for $30.00 ... ya gotta luv it!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #163 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Just like every CORPORATION, Apple's first priority is to provide the largest possible return to their SHAREHOLDERS. Everything else is a means to that end.

Apple makes huge profit margins off most of their products, because they have the infrastructure of a much smaller company. Steve Jobs said it himself: he has to take programmers off one project and have them focus on others.

We consumers are paying exorberant prices for these products because we expect them to work. <--- PERIOD!! Anything else defeats the purpose.

Apple needs to expand (and expend some profit on) Quality Assurance and increase its programming force.

Last time I checked Apple lead the industry in all of your suggestions.
post #164 of 252
Here is my question answered by Panic regarding lack of anyway to upgrade an existing app via the Apple Apps Store

On Jan 6, 2011, at 7:49 AM,

Hi,

I have version 3 of Transmit and know I can get 45% discount via your web site. However, I was curious to know is the Apple's web able to offer the discount subject to the valid version 3 serial?

Thanks

REPLY:

Unfortunately there is no discount if you purchase on the App Store. We have no way to do that.

Les
post #165 of 252
I tried installing with updater and by DLing the dmg. But it failed to install.\

Digging in the console message, I get:

11.01.06 13:31:36 \tinstalld[236]\tPackageKit: Install Failed: (null)
Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=114 UserInfo=0x1020c6da0 "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 "You dont have permission to save the file rc.deferred_install in the folder etc." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldnt be completed. Operation not permitted")) {
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation.";
NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 \\"You don\\U2019t have permission to save the file \\U201crc.deferred_install\\U201d in the folder \\U201cetc\\U201d.\\" Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \\"The operation couldn\\U2019t be completed. Operation not permitted\\")";
}

Repaired permissions. Still no success. Anyone els
post #166 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

In Sweden, Aperture 3 is 599 SEK in the new App Store while still in apple store web page it's 1999 SEK.

Some boxes to scrap...

Out of interest, which tax rate do they use in the Swedish App Store, Swedens or Irelands?
post #167 of 252
Finally, the update info page isn't blank anymore :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4459

That's all there is to 10.6.5 -> 10.6.6 ??

Geez, this is the most minor update I ever saw from Apple.

Not worth the download !

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #168 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Finally, the update info page isn't blank anymore :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4459

That's all there is to 10.6.5 -> 10.6.6 ??

Geez, this is the most minor update I ever saw from Apple.

Not worth the download !

What part of it is obviously required to run the apps store is eluding you?
post #169 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbrowne View Post

I tried installing with updater and by DLing the dmg. But it failed to install.\

Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=114 UserInfo=0x1020c6da0 "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 "You dont have permission to save the file rc.deferred_install in the folder etc." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldnt be completed. Operation not permitted")) {
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while setting up files for deferred installation.";
NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x10537e950 \\"You don\\U2019t have permission to save the file \\U201crc.deferred_install\\U201d in the folder \\U201cetc\\U201d.\\" Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \\"The operation couldn\\U2019t be completed. Operation not permitted\\")";
}

Are you logged in as administrator?
post #170 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'll say ... Pixelmator for $30.00 ... ya gotta luv it!

I must check it out.
post #171 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?

No.

If it does recognize any apps, they first have to be listed in the Mac App Store.
post #172 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are you logged in as administrator?

Yes. The message I describe could not occur if the update were not underway.

The update requires the admin PW which I entered. The error occurs deep into the update proper.
post #173 of 252
Quote:

AND they were all working on it since 1908

Brilliant!
post #174 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Out of interest, which tax rate do they use in the Swedish App Store, Swedens or Irelands?

I have to ask ... I don't get the Ireland bit?
post #175 of 252
Quote:

Yes. The message I describe could not occur if the update were not underway.

The update requires the admin PW which I entered. The error occurs deep into the update proper.

K, just checking. It sounded like an admin / privs issue. Have you tried booting to an alternative drive and using this as a slave to update? Also anything been manually locked? Enough space left? I've seen temp orphaned PS files (invisible) take up massive space.
post #176 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I don't see an "apps folder" in the App Store. I do know where my Applications Folder is on my Mac. Should the App Store recognize everything that is in your Applications folder that has a .app extension? Things like QuickTime Player.app, Photo Booth.app, iTunes.app, Stickies.app, Preview.app, etc?

In looking at it again, the free Evernote app that I downloaded is showing up under the 'Purchases' tab as installed. When I go to categories and browse what is for sale, I see that it's recognizing some of my apps as installed. Rather than listing the price for the app or the word 'free', it says 'installed'. I wish there were a simple way for me to view only the apps that are installed on my Mac rather than having to decipher what's installed by browsing through the Store. Any thoughts?

Some things that I own are listed as 'Installed', and others are not. For example, 'Installed' are Numbers, Keynote & Pages. It wants me to pay for things I already own like iPhoto, iMovie, OmniFocus for Mac, and Things. Is there a simple step I'm missing? I'd like the App Store to recognize what I already own.

I just got this feedback from Macworld:

"Unfortunately, aside from Apple's apps, the Mac App Store will not recognize or acknowledge licenses for third-party apps that you already own. Some third-party apps appear as "installed" in the store right now, but that's a technical hiccup; they will not be updated by the Mac App Store unless you trash your existing non-store version and re-purchase from the store.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Apple simply isn't offering a transition system for developers. Developers would obviously love to transition your existing licenses into the store, but it simply isn't possible.

This will all be covered in our Mac App Store FAQ posts, which are coming soon. Stay tuned."
post #177 of 252
Quote:

K, just checking. It sounded like an admin / privs issue. Have you tried booting to an alternative drive and using this as a slave to update? Also anything been manually locked?

"Manually locked"?

I'm not setup to boot from an alternate drive (I have TM backups, but can't boot from those). I'm thinking of rolling back (re-installing system from TM state of a couple days ago).

Or - I'll just wait and see if Apple quietly update 10.6.6 in a couple days. I've reported the issue to them.
post #178 of 252
Anyone having trouble signing in to the App Store with their AppleID?

The link to sign in doesn't do anything.

Conversely, on my work Mac, I'm able to get a sign in dialog to pop up.
post #179 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

25%. In Sweden. And it goes for both Mac App store as well as any other "channel". Ireland I don't know about.
post #180 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is obvious that you don't think at all. IMO.

Funny, I understood the OP and agreed with him. Maybe some remedial reading classes would help you with basic comprehension?
post #181 of 252
Quote:

Here is my question answered by Panic regarding lack of anyway to upgrade an existing app via the Apple Apps Store
On Jan 6, 2011, at 7:49 AM,

Hi,
I have version 3 of Transmit and know I can get 45% discount via your web site. However, I was curious to know is the Apple's web able to offer the discount subject to the valid version 3 serial?
Thanks

REPLY:
Unfortunately there is no discount if you purchase on the App Store. We have no way to do that.

Les

In other words .... We can't offer a discount PLUS pay Apple a 30% fee .... We'd rather give 45% to you ... than 30% to Apple. No way do we want the App store to suceed, so this is our way to keep you away from App store. ....
post #182 of 252
Quote:

"Manually locked"?

I'm not setup to boot from an alternate drive (I have TM backups, but can't boot from those). I'm thinking of rolling back (re-installing system from TM state of a couple days ago).

Or - I'll just wait and see if Apple quietly update 10.6.6 in a couple days. I've reported the issue to them.

Items can be locked in the get info window.

If you have space on your drive you can partition with Disk Utils and make a small volume and install your OS X you have on that, boot to that and access the main volume as a slave. Obviously an additional HD would be preferable and always good to have for making emergency boot volume and a clone of your internal. TM is wonderful but not a replacement for a clone that can be booted and accessed in situations like this. I always have a clone and a TM.
post #183 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

In other words .... We can't offer a discount PLUS pay Apple a 30% fee .... We'd rather give 45% to you ... than 30% to Apple. No way do we want the App store to suceed, so this is our way to keep you away from App store. ....

Yep good point, but perhaps you misunderstand my reason for posting. I agree I can't expect both. However a message for those eligible for upgrades and a link to a landing page on the programer's site would be good. I was wanting to warn others to be careful if they are eligible. I already had an email from Panic agreeing with me.
post #184 of 252
Lots of developers also offer education discounts, and so does Apple. But there is no separate App store for education, right, or is there?
(Just now, shocked to see the price of BBEdit)
post #185 of 252
Quote:

My current number one wish is a really, really awesome update to iWeb, maybe even iWeb Pro.

iWeb Pro has been renamed Coda.
post #186 of 252
Quote:

Yep good point, but perhaps you misunderstand my reason for posting. I agree I can't expect both. However a message for those eligible for upgrades and a link to a landing page on the programer's site would be good. I was wanting to warn others to be careful if they are eligible. I already had an email from Panic agreeing with me.

Honestly, my "rant" was not meant to be against you but rather at the "short sighted" developers who don't have the vision of a Steve Jobs. It will be interesting to see how many resisting developers will "capitulate" once the app store has the unparalleled success of which I'm certain... cheers ....
post #187 of 252
Quote:

We'll be reminiscing in years to come about the smell of the new box and packaging back in the old days

Yeah, remember those nice black Apple t-shirts we used to get with the annual $500 dev account renewal - that now only costs $99. The shirt was always too small anyway. It is better just to have a cheaper price, right?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #188 of 252
Quote:

iWeb Pro has been renamed Coda.

ditto that.

post #189 of 252
Quote:

You'd have the screams of privacy invasion ringing out from the hill tops though. Think of all the millions of bootlegs in use. If the Apps store looked at your applications folder and reported to the mothership there would be law suits.

I was thinking more of entering that information myself voluntarily so i get updates and discounts. But as to the bootlegs, you have no privacy right to commit a crime or a tort.
post #190 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is a political statement not a statement of fact.

Just sayin.

It is an accurate statement of the law.
post #191 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.

It recognises mine, pages, numbers etc show as "installed".

I wonder why $US12.99 becomes $A17.99 for iPhoto, when at the current exchange rate $US12.99 = $A12.97, we have a GST of 10% which is the only possible tax that can be levied and that doesn't apply to overseas purchases.

The Australia add five bucks Apple tax.

At least $A54 is better than $A79 for the set.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #192 of 252
Quote:

}

You may need the combo update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349
post #193 of 252
Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo @ http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349 [1.06 GB]

Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update @ http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343 [143 MB]

post #194 of 252
Angry Birds isn't working....anyone else having this problem????
post #195 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

It is obvious that you don't think at all. IMO.

"Sometimes I sets and I thinks. Sometimes I jus' sets!

A computer is just a thing to play games on after all .. right?
post #196 of 252
Quote:

it took a decade to get 20,000 apps on apple.com/downloads.
The Mac app store will probably hit the 20,000 mark in less than a year.
That's progress!

If my grandmother can figure out how to purchase Apps...that's progress!

Quite possible there will be close to that number in a year given the history of the other stores. What has been called into question and rightfully so in my view is: What kind of apps?

Those that qualify under the current guidelines can only be of the simplistic variety. In addition, there is no longer a referral process for anything outside the App store. That entire pool of developers together with their products has been locked out overnight.

Example: Do a search for "CAD". Under the old downloads format, you'd come up with over a dozen hits. Try it now. Zero hits. In a year from now, you will get a few. But none of the significant apps will ever show up. Because they install resources and use alternate licensing procedures than permitted.
post #197 of 252
is not about promoting a thriving developer community. It's about channeling more profits into Apple's own coffers.
post #198 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

is not about promoting a thriving developer community. It's about channeling more profits into Apple's own coffers.

Then don't develop for it and stay out of rational discussions about it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #199 of 252
Post deleted by poster.

Reason: Put mouth in gear before engaging brain.
post #200 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then don't develop for it and stay out of rational discussions about it.

on this board. If you are going to make comment, keep it to the subject. You do not know shit about me or the basis of my comment any more than I know you.

I've been using Apple computers for professional design work since 1994. I'm one of those fanatics who kept them afloat when everyone else bailed and was cheering on their demise.

I have seen the developer community grow then collapse then grow again. And I am nobody's fool when it comes to what goes on in the market.

Evidently my comment was a bit too spot on for your self interested tastes.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store