or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours

Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours

post #1 of 52
Apple on Friday revealed that its Mac App Store got off to a strong start, serving up more than a million downloads from its first 1,000 free and paid applications in the initial 24 hours of availability.

"We’re amazed at the incredible response the Mac App Store is getting," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "Developers have done a great job bringing apps to the store and users are loving how easy and fun the Mac App Store is."

The Mac App Store launched on Thursday with more than 1,000 free and paid applications available for Mac OS X. The storefront employs the same look and feel as the highly successful App Store for iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPad.

The Mac App Store is part of Mac OS X 10.6.6, the latest update for Apple's Snow Leopard operating system. After installing the update, users can find the App Store on their dock.

Like on the iOS App Store, users of the Mac App Store buy software with a credit card tied to their iTunes account. To buy, download and install is all accomplished in one step. The Mac App Store also keeps track of all your purchased apps and notifies you when free updates are available.

The Mac App Store offers apps in Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity, Utilities and other categories. Users can browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what’s hot, see staff favorites, search categories and look up top charts for paid and free apps, as well as user ratings and reviews.

Mac developers set the price for their apps, keep 70 percent of the sales revenue, are not charged for free apps and do not have to pay hosting, marketing or credit card fees.

For more, including screens and first impressions of the software download destination, see AppleInsider's first look at the Mac App Store
post #2 of 52
Yep, 1st post again ! Helps to be living in Australia while the locals in the US are sleeping.
I have downloaded a couple of apps so far, and will be doing more as time goes by.
Can anyone answer this question. If paid for an app on my iPad/iPhone, is it free on the Mac ?
Appreciate your help.
Go Apple !
post #3 of 52
after steam's success i'm surprised only Apple decided to do this for a computer platform
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Yep, 1st post again ! Helps to be living in Australia while the locals in the US are sleeping.
I have downloaded a couple of apps so far, and will be doing more as time goes by.
Can anyone answer this question. If paid for an app on my iPad/iPhone, is it free on the Mac ?
Appreciate your help.
Go Apple !

No. Unless the developer wishes it.

Note: The apps are different.
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

after steam's success i'm surprised only Apple decided to do this for a computer platform

I would argue that Microsoft would have a very difficult time trying to roll a Microsoft Store out. It would be viewed as anti-competitive. Don't get me wrong, I think it would benefit them considerably... but their organization would be scrutinized considerably. Also, Microsoft isn't well suited for radical change from the top down.
post #6 of 52
deleted
post #7 of 52
I find there are numerous visual refinements that need to be made for the Mac App Store to be more user-friendly. The UI should allow for larger, catalog-style shopping of desktop apps. As it is now, everything feels so crammed together it's like I'm reading the back pages of a Popular Science with their microscopic ads.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 52
Of course those who have a Mac but don't own an iOS device downloaded Angry Birds immediately...
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I would argue that Microsoft would have a very difficult time trying to roll a Microsoft Store out. It would be viewed as anti-competitive. Don't get me wrong, I think it would benefit them considerably... but their organization would be scrutinized considerably. Also, Microsoft isn't well suited for radical change from the top down.

I think you make a good point. I could see Amazon or someone make an app portal that runs on Windows and allows devs to lose a certain level or overhead costs while allowing users to shop and buy a variety of apps using their Amazon account and knowing theyll be able to easy get these apps again when they buy a new Windows computer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Of course those who have a Mac but don't own an iOS device downloaded Angry Birds immediately...

such people exist?? must be just a handful.
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I find there are numerous visual refinements that need to be made for the Mac App Store to be more user-friendly. The UI should allow for larger, catalog-style shopping of desktop apps. As it is now, everything feels so crammed together it's like I'm reading the back pages of a Popular Science with their microscopic ads.

And whats with the close/min/max buttons? Overall, something feels like its missing from the App Store design.
post #12 of 52
best buy has something like an app store on all BB sold computers, and it's not very intrusive. but i wouldn't buy any digital software unless it was apple or steam
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

As someone else mentioned, Ubuntu (and its derivatives) have been doing this for years. Also don't forget that Intel has its app store for netbooks and Google has an app store for its Chrome browser and OS.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Appreciate your help.
Go Apple !

You can't run an iOS app on Mac OS X so it's two different products (the apps).
post #15 of 52
I was disappointed to find out that VLC, Handbrake, Onyx and other famous and useful apps were not on the Mac App Store at lauch. Apparently the focus is really on the paid apps, which is a change from the iOS App Store. Just hope they get back to being more neutral on this.
Well it seems that MacUpdate.com will be around for quite a while!
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

As someone else mentioned, Ubuntu (and its derivatives) have been doing this for years. Also don't forget that Intel has its app store for netbooks and Google has an app store for its Chrome browser and OS.

and how many people care about Ubuntu compared to OS X and Windows?
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And whats with the close/min/max buttons? Overall, something feels like its missing from the App Store design.

You guys could always give feedback to Apple directly if you'd like to see improvements. I think it's a pretty impressive 1.0 release, delivered in less than 60 days from the announcement. The interface is quite snappy, perhaps they need to do the iTunes Store next to run as a separate App outside of the player.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

I was disappointed to find out that VLC, Handbrake, Onyx and other famous and useful apps were not on the Mac App Store at lauch. Apparently the focus is really on the paid apps, which is a change from the iOS App Store. Just hope they get back to being more neutral on this.

That's on the developers, not apple. They can only offer what developers submit.
post #19 of 52
Quote:

1) Have those apps even tried to make it onto the Mac App Store?

2) Are VLC and Handbrake even allowed seeing as how they apps are protected and they might have open source code licenses that disallow that? I think thats the reason why Adium never made an iOS app.

3) With Onyx accessing and altering core system files is it allowed under the Mac App Store rules?
post #20 of 52
Quote:

Some of those apps probably don't meet the requirements to be in the app store in the first place. I'm not familiar with every little detail but I would bet Handbrake isn't allowed in there for sure.
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsydaus View Post

You guys could always give feedback to Apple directly if you'd like to see improvements. I think it's a pretty impressive 1.0 release, delivered in less than 60 days from the announcement. The interface is quite snappy, perhaps they need to do the iTunes Store next to run as a separate App outside of the player.

I'm pretty sure Apple reads these boards. After all, where else to find the best opinions about your products but from your harshest critics and biggest fanboys?

Another thing... I thought having a separate Mac App Store application would make more sense that trying to shoehorn it into the already overwhelmed iTunes, but I think otherwise now. It's annoying that I now need to open and be concerned about yet another app store. I'd rather all the apps (including iPhone/iPad, etc.) were in a single place with clearly identifiable tab separators to differentiate between the Mac Apps.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another thing... I thought having a separate Mac App Store application would make more sense that trying to shoehorn it into the already overwhelmed iTunes, but I think otherwise now. It's annoying that I now need to open and be concerned about yet another app store. I'd rather all the apps (including iPhone/iPad, etc.) were in a single place with clearly identifiable tab separators to differentiate between the Mac Apps.

iTunes does a lot, but everything it does is to revolves around your media library, most notably for iDevices. I dont think putting Mac apps in iTunes would be wise though I do understand where youre coming from with the separate app.

I had thought it would feel more integrated. I thought it was going to integrate with Software Update. I had envisioned something like the standard Software Update with system updates in one section and new app updates in another, with a button to press to flip it around (like with iBooks and iBookstore on iOS) for the Mac App Store.

This is v1.0 and is a bolt on to SL with the smallest system update since the 1980s so maybe Lion will integrate it more. Weve certainly seen Apple do that in the past.
post #23 of 52
Love the "<insert company name no one heard of> has done this for years!" comments. Ubuntu? For real? This world is down to Windows and Mac. They are the gorillas that matter.

I think the store could use some UI refinements myself. Apps could use more info, such as how many computers you can manage via Apple's Remote Desktop app. Also, I'd like to know the new pricing, even though much of the good stuff is already installed on my Mac.

Overall, I think it's a great start and a great idea. A million downloads in 24 hours?

So much for the comments that it's just a fart store. That's one prosperous fart!
post #24 of 52
Quote:

2) Are VLC and Handbrake even allowed seeing as how they apps are protected and they might have open source code licenses that disallow that? I think thats the reason why Adium never made an iOS app.

Yes, Adium is not available on iOS because libpurple's GPL license is incompatible with the iOS developer agreement. But, the problem isn't just with Apple's licensing policies. For example, here's an entry from the Pidgin's (another multi-service chat client) FAQ: Why can't I use OpenSSL for SSL support in libpurple?

Quote:
The OpenSSL [BSD-style Open Source] license is not compatible with the libpurple license (GPLv2).

So, even "open source" licenses don't offer total "freedom". Some might argue that the GPL (and derivatives) actually do the opposite.

Not sure if that alone would disqualify it from the Mac App Store, but depending on the developer agreement it might.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Love the "<insert company name no one heard of> has done this for years!" comments. Ubuntu? For real? This world is down to Windows and Mac. They are the gorillas that matter.

Whats ironic is that Ubuntu goes out of its way to make the user experience as Mac-like as possible. Well, as much as can be with Linux.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Love the "<insert company name no one heard of> has done this for years!" comments. Ubuntu? For real? This world is down to Windows and Mac. They are the gorillas that matter. ...

That's true on the desktop workstation, but not so much when talking about servers. Of course, if you are running Linux servers, you're probably downloading tarballs and building your own software in most cases
post #27 of 52
Quote:

I had thought it would feel more integrated. I thought it was going to integrate with Software Update. I had envisioned something like the standard Software Update with system updates in one section and new app updates in another, with a button to press to flip it around (like with iBooks and iBookstore on iOS) for the Mac App Store.

This is a great idea... Apple, please take note.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Only Apple?

Ubuntu's had the Ubuntu Software Center for years, and Microsoft announced their plans for an app store in 2009 (I guess MS assigned that to the Longhorn team, given that it hasn't materialized yet <g>).

You're right on about MS .... but let's face it, Ubuntu, as good as it may be, isn't exactly mainstream ... that's the difference.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #29 of 52
deleted
post #30 of 52
deleted
post #31 of 52
Quote:

This is v1.0 and is a bolt on to SL with the smallest system update since the 1980s so maybe Lion will integrate it more. Weve certainly seen Apple do that in the past.

You have to be kidding.

Quote:
Keep your apps 
up to date.
Since developers are constantly improving their apps, the App Store for Mac keeps track of your apps and tells you when an update is available. Update one app at a time or all of them at once, and youll always have the latest version of every app you own.

Its easy to update to the Mac*App*Store.
Just open the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen, choose Software Update, and follow the instructions to download the latest Mac OS X update, which includes the Mac App Store.

(Look at the pics.)

It's all on the web site and in the App Store Help. http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

N.B. The number of updates is also displayed on the App Store icon in the Dock. Check out 'Help' in the App Store

Couldn't be any simpler or better explained.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have to be kidding.

N.B. The number of updates is also displayed on the App Store icon in the Dock. Check out 'Help' in the App Store

Couldn't be any simpler or better explained.

What exactly do you think Im kidding about?
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernstcs

such people exist?? must be just a handful.

I must be one of those rare birds who owns an iOS device and have no desire to download Angry Birds for it or my Mac.
post #34 of 52
Three of those million downloads was me. I got:

1) Angry Birds
2) TextWrangler
3) Evernote

The app store is a huge, huge improvement. It's such a simple idea I wonder why they didn't do it before? I find searching for apps for Mac (and Windows) to be a major pain. You never know who the developers are and if you might end up with a virus.

Especially with Windows downloading software is a nightmare. Many apps install themselves all over the operating system without asking. They make themselves default apps for files, let themselves start up on boot, force you to register and then start sending spam etc. Some of them are no better than viruses, even the supposedly legitimate one.

I only use download.com to get my Windows programs, but even then it is hit or miss.

The Mac app store should expand massively from the 1,000 they have now. Even I'm getting ideas for writing something. Let's see when they hit 10,000.
post #35 of 52
I wish the upgrade to Snow Leopard was free as part of the launch of the app store. My Mac works great as is and I don't want to pay $29 for the privilege of buying apps.
post #36 of 52
Quote:

Those of us who've been with the Mac platform for more than a decade recall hearing over and over that Windows was the only gorilla that matters. With 90% of the market compared to Mac's 7%, some think Windows still is.

This observation becomes increasingly true: Mac people talking about Linux in 2011 sound like Windows people talking about Mac in 1997.

Except that the Mac was better, just fighting an OS that monopolized its way into a standard. Linux and all its variants are interesting, powerful and fun for a nerd.

They have their place, as powerful servers and DirecTV boxes.
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I wish the upgrade to Snow Leopard was free as part of the launch of the app store. My Mac works great as is and I don't want to pay $29 for the privilege of buying apps.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is one of those people who can't justify a $30 purchase to make their computer run better.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #38 of 52
This could be a boon for small developers and could help bring about a lot of creative apps for the mac. Since developers don't have to worry about hosting or credit card processing, all they have to do is post the app. If it sells it sells, if not you only lost your money on development (is there a submission fee?) Very good move by apple.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

No. Unless the developer wishes it.

Note: The apps are different.

Thanks. It was early morning and had a few too many beers.
Just realised this morning that they are different, and wow did I feel stupid.
post #40 of 52
Quote:

Those of us who've been with the Mac platform for more than a decade recall hearing over and over that Windows was the only gorilla that matters. With 90% of the market compared to Mac's 7%, some think Windows still is.

This observation becomes increasingly true: Mac people talking about Linux in 2011 sound like Windows people talking about Mac in 1997.

Mac has 12% share in US, not sure what it is worldwide, probably less, is your 7% worldwide or US?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours