or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours

Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by skauser View Post

Three of those million downloads was me. I got:

1) Angry Birds
2) TextWrangler
3) Evernote

The app store is a huge, huge improvement. It's such a simple idea I wonder why they didn't do it before? I find searching for apps for Mac (and Windows) to be a major pain. You never know who the developers are and if you might end up with a virus.

Especially with Windows downloading software is a nightmare. Many apps install themselves all over the operating system without asking. They make themselves default apps for files, let themselves start up on boot, force you to register and then start sending spam etc. Some of them are no better than viruses, even the supposedly legitimate one.

I only use download.com to get my Windows programs, but even then it is hit or miss.

The Mac app store should expand massively from the 1,000 they have now. Even I'm getting ideas for writing something. Let's see when they hit 10,000.

I couldn't agree more.
Although I don't use M$ products, and generally don't download that much software on my Mac, I can see how the App store would benefit me, and many others, especially those less comfortable with computers and others who don't trust 3rd parties (as you mentioned here).
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is one of those people who can't justify a $30 purchase to make their computer run better.

Ignorant or what ! So why do you have Leopard, why not use Cheetah or Mac OS 9.
I simply find your comment extremely illogical, and seems you have an axe to grind.
Don't get the update, its your choice, just keep your comment to yourself in future.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Ignorant or what ! So why do you have Leopard, why not use Cheetah or Mac OS 9.
I simply find your comment extremely illogical, and seems you have an axe to grind.
Don't get the update, its your choice, just keep your comment to yourself in future.

Sorry, I have no idea what you're saying.

I have Snow Leopard. It's thirty bucks. Period. He said he couldn't justify the purchase, which is insane. There's really no excuse for not running the best OS your system can handle, is what I'm saying.
post #44 of 52
Quote:

Sorry, I have no idea what you're saying.

I have Snow Leopard. It's thirty bucks. Period. He said he couldn't justify the purchase, which is insane. There's really no excuse for not running the best OS your system can handle, is what I'm saying.

Maybe the guy who doesn't want to upgrade should see Snow Leopard as "his first purchase from the Mac App Store"
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Maybe the guy who doesn't want to upgrade should see Snow Leopard as "his first purchase from the Mac App Store"

That's what the Mac App Store should be. Not only a place for new applications but also designed to manage application updates as well as system updates for software and firmware.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have to be kidding.

N.B. The number of updates is also displayed on the App Store icon in the Dock. Check out 'Help' in the App Store

Couldn't be any simpler or better explained.

You really need to learn to ignore certain folk on here that speak out their ... !
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Mac has 12% share in US, not sure what it is worldwide, probably less, is your 7% worldwide or US?

In the Universe- is it 0.7%- just wondering? \
Does it matter?
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You're right on about MS .... but let's face it, Ubuntu, as good as it may be, isn't exactly mainstream ... that's the difference.

Yeah and Apple OS has an amazing 6.25% of the World Market. Really amazing. Mainstream my ass.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Yeah and Apple OS has an amazing 6.25% of the World Market. Really amazing. Mainstream my ass.

I don't know how "mainstream your ass is" .... but I'm willing to bet that a ton more people have heard of/use Mac OS than use Ubuntu .... to argue that point would border on the ridiculous. Cheers ...
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I don't know how "mainstream your ass is" .... but I'm willing to bet that a ton more people have heard of/use Mac OS than use Ubuntu .... to argue that point would border on the ridiculous. Cheers ...

I know you don't know how "mainstream my ass is".. and if you're willing to bet that a ton more people have heard of/use Mac OS than use Ubuntu it doesn't mean it is mainstream.
What about to stimulate brain activity sometimes
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

I know you don't know how "mainstream my ass is".. and if you're willing to bet that a ton more people have heard of/use Mac OS than use Ubuntu it doesn't mean it is mainstream.
What about to stimulate brain activity sometimes

Since "mainstream" is a comparative term, you know, Mac OS to Ubuntu ... and since Mac OS is a whole lot more well known to the public than Ubuntu is .... I stand by my original post. I am curious 'tho as to wether you're truly dense or just plain argumentative by nature. Even to someone like you, it must be plain that, compared to Ubuntu ..... Mac OS is "mainstream"

And please, don't come back and show us how silly you are by telling us that "in your circle of friends, everyone uses Ubuntu" ..... that would truly be a ridiculous addition to the "debate".
post #52 of 52
Quote:

My computer runs fine. Seems like a good enough excuse to me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours