or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evidence points to Apple launch of Verizon iPhone on Feb. 3 - rumor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Evidence points to Apple launch of Verizon iPhone on Feb. 3 - rumor

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
With Apple quietly issuing a retail employee vacation blackout period in the coming weeks, a new rumor suggests the Verizon iPhone will coincide with a debut on Thursday, Feb. 3.

Citing a source "close to Apple," Boy Genius Report said on Thursday that Apple recently narrowed its blackout date for employee vacation requests to between Feb. 3 and Feb. 6, suggesting a product launch on Thursday, Feb. 3. The report also referenced AppleInsider's exclusive scoop this week that Apple has prohibited vacation days for some retail employees in a three-week span covering the last week in January and the first two weeks in February.

Last year, the iPhone 4 was also released on a Thursday, becoming available on June 24, 2010. The report noted that it is not "confirmed" that the Verizon iPhone will launch on Feb. 3, the apparent employee vacation blackout dates suggest it is a likely event.

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for years, but numerous dates suggested for a product launch have come and gone while the iPhone has remained exclusive to AT&T in the U.S. But last June, Bloomberg reported that the iPhone would debut on Verizon in January 2011.

In the months following that report, numerous mainstream publications -- including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and Fortune -- also provided independent confirmation of an early 2011 launch timeframe.

This week, photos and video of a redesigned stainless steel frame claimed to be for a forthcoming iPhone were released online. The video showing the part was removed from YouTube after a legal complaint was filed by Apple.

The metal frame, which also serves as the antenna via the perimeter of the phone, has new placement of black "gaps." The current iPhone 4 has three gaps -- two on the side, one on top -- while the new parts spotted online have four gaps -- two on each side, and none on top.
post #2 of 64
Also 9-5mac is 'rumoring' Verizon employee training for an 'iconic device' at the end of the month.

http://www.9to5mac.com/category/ios-devices

Do you believe now?
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #3 of 64
It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T for 2 reasons. First, my unlimited data plan. Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am not going to Verizon, even though I am contract-free with AT&T.

Yes, No Verizon for me!!!
post #4 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T ...

Another good reason is that it's unlikely Apple would allow the Verizon iPhone to steal thunder away from iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4G or whatever it's called). Therefore, this Verizon iPhone "won't be as good" in some way as the upcoming iPhone. if you don't *need* to change networks, I would wait a few months and see what the next GSM iPhone is like first.
post #5 of 64
Quote:
The video showing the part was removed from YouTube after a legal complaint was filed by Apple.

Strong indication that the device was real. I am interested to see the internals of that device.
post #6 of 64
If this really does happen, then I predict two things...

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Also 9-5mac is 'rumoring' Verizon employee training for an 'iconic device' at the end of the month.

http://www.9to5mac.com/category/ios-devices

Do you believe now?

The people that havent believed for the last several months probably wont until there is an official announcement from either company.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T for 2 reasons. First, my unlimited data plan. Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am not going to Verizon, even though I am contract-free with AT&T.

Yes, No Verizon for me!!!

3) Itll still be faster than Verizons network.

4) Simultaneous voice and data on 3G (though that might be changing).
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 64
If true, it's pretty smart. Verizon subscribers will buy a CDMA iPhone 4 in February, then upgrade 5 months later to iPhone 5 in June!

Sure, most people won't... but there are always those that have to have the latest and greatest!
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am really hoping this is the case.
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If this really does happen, then I predict two things...

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.

so... not matter what happens, you were wrong.
post #11 of 64
I agree with the posts above....I'm in no hurry to leave ATT. I hope that Verizon will be aggressive and market forces will "force" ATT to modify and lower their fees.

Overall, I'm pleased with ATT...first they kept and used the "rollover" minutes when they bought/merged with Cingular. They have allowed me to keep my "unlimited" data plan from my first iPhone purchase and lastly...they allowed me to upgrade to the iPhone 4 from a 3Gs that I had less than 10 months, which I sold for $200. So moving from the 3Gs to the superior iPhone 4 was a "wash" for me.

I realize they did it to keep me "locked-in," but I don't have a lot of confidence in Verizon's pricing plans.

It will be interesting to see how Verizon will handle the iPhone. It will definitely be a "cash cow" for them. As it is for ATT!

Best

I would like to see unlimited voice, text and data for $79/mo as opposed to the now $120 I'm paying to ATT/mo. I know, I'm dreaming!
post #12 of 64
<sigh>
Or March, or April, or May, or not at all, or when LTE is out or when 6G comes ... who cares???
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Strong indication that the device was real. I am interested to see the internals of that device.

BS. If someone hacked up a fake iPhone frame and claimed it was real, Apple would still fire off a C&D to YouTube. Bottom line, no one speaks for Apple, but Apple.
post #14 of 64
As much as I hope this is finally the release of it on verizon like others said to clear up congestion on AT&T this doesn't follow any of Apples previous release of a new product...They announce and a month or so later release it..I guess there's still time to announce it this month but it just seems strange that on the 3rd of February they will release a new phone? For all we know they could not let them take vacation cause they are doing inventory or something ...I will believe it when it's on the shelves...for two years now its been moving to verizon and hasn't yet.
post #15 of 64
i thought you only hype new TV's before Superbowl Sunday? maybe it's really sprint and there will be a NFL promotion to go with it?

i know people who work at verizon and they are putting their pets in a kennel that weekend. it means the iphone is coming to verizon
post #16 of 64
Wouldn't it be better that the new iphone had a dual-core processor, 4G on AT&T's network, DLNA ready and WiFi Hotspot/Tethering/Call ability? You fanboys never seem to get priorities right.
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If this really does happen, then I predict two things...

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.

Im thinking Verizon will be fine and I think its more than just seeing what the iPhone did to AT&T that prepared them.

There is word that the iPhone was sending too many keep alive to the network thus saturating it more than it should, which compounded with the excessive units, especially in cities with many iPhones hitting one tower, the network was saturated even without the excuse of user data transmissions. This is believed to have been resolved in a more recent iOS 4.x update.

Verizon has been able to see what a data-heavy device can do to a network but more importantly theyve been able to see it happen with the rise of "app phones on their network.

Finally, they are moving away from Unlimited plans like everyone else. I have doubts that AT&T will keep their unlimited plans for current iPhone users once they have to change their contract. I think it can go either way based on number crunching of how many potential lose of customer who like the peace of mind for an extra $5/month but who arent, collectively, costing AT&T more than for the additional data they use. Well see.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by donarb View Post

BS. If someone hacked up a fake iPhone frame and claimed it was real, Apple would still fire off a C&D to YouTube. Bottom line, no one speaks for Apple, but Apple.

I guess you didn't see the video. Several independent sources showed the same antenna and internal frame.

History could repeat itself. Remember the iPhone 4 last year?!
post #19 of 64
Saw this Editorial Cartoon.....funny.

Future Headlines:

Feb 3, "Verizon Finally Gets iPhone"

Feb 4, "Verizon's Network Now Sucks Too"
post #20 of 64
... verizon's earning report is scheduled for january 25th. so the 2/3 date seems logical from the standpoint of ... get the earnings report taken care of and then launch the thing.
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.


My issue isn't network congestion, it is lack of strong signal to start with. That won't change no matter how many users switch to Verizon. I'm pretty sure only using lower frequencies and installing more towers will solve that problem.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

so... not matter what happens, you were wrong.

This doesn't make sense.
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Wouldn't it be better that the new iphone had a dual-core processor, 4G on AT&T's network, DLNA ready and WiFi Hotspot/Tethering/Call ability? You fanboys never seem to get priorities right.

1) This is about a Verizon iPhone, not the 5th generation iPhone. Personally, Id like to have the next iPhone out now but Summer seems pretty standard and my fanboy priorities are pragmatic and not to expect the next generation iPhone until then.

2) Which 4G chips are ready for small smartphones? Note that at CES the smartphones coming out much later this year with LTE are larger devices while the new super slim smartphones will still have 3G. There are reasons for that and I dont think Apple can circumvent those (Do I lose my fanboy status for saying that? ).

3) Tethering already exists with AT&T. Its foolishly pricey costing you an additional $20/month without actually giving you any extra data usage.

4) I also already have the ability to make calls. Ive had this feature since iPhone OS 1.0.

5) WiFi Hotspot is big but think MyFi is bigger and can offer more battery life for the device. I have a feeling Apple wont add this feature because it will drain the battery quickly.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

If this really does happen, then I predict two things...

1. Verizon and it's touted network will get crushed by data needs just like AT&T was

2. Verizon's network will be well prepared because they've seen what the iPhone does to a network the last 3 years and everyone will easily forget that they've had all this extra time to prepare for the smart phone data barrages and blast AT&T even more than before.

Millions of new Droid phones did not impact Verizon's network so your argument that the iPhone on VZW would crush VZW's network is unsubstantiated.
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Millions of new Droid phones did not impact Verizon's network so your argument that the iPhone on VZW would crush VZW's network is unsubstantiated.

Also keep in mind Verizon's 3g network is 5 times larger then at&t's. Much larger backhaul then any Carrier. I remember the days when people used to say Verizon spent too much on the infrastructure..... No one argues that one anymore. You get what you pay for.
post #26 of 64
Good decision. Verizon is worst then AT&T in just about every area. Verizon might have better coverage in some areas of the country, but the company actively tries to take money from you in the form of hidden fees. Customer Service stinks. I have the company trying to collect a debt from me that I really don't owe, which was incurred ten years ago.


AT&T has its faults, but Verizon really does stink.


Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

It is about time for it to happen. However I am sticking with AT&T for 2 reasons. First, my unlimited data plan. Two, if some users leave to Verizon, there will be less network congestion for those of us who will stay with AT&T.

I am not going to Verizon, even though I am contract-free with AT&T.

Yes, No Verizon for me!!!
post #27 of 64
Your response really isn't substantiated either. It assumes Droid phone users use the same amount of data and the number of people using the phones equal iPhones on AT&T.

Further, data is handled differently on Verizon. You can't access the data and voice lines at the same time. On AT&T you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

Millions of new Droid phones did not impact Verizon's network so your argument that the iPhone on VZW would crush VZW's network is unsubstantiated.
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Good decision. Verizon is worst then AT&T in just about every area. Verizon might have better coverage in some areas of the country, but the company actively tries to take money from you in the form of hidden fees. Customer Service stinks. I have the company trying to collect a debt from me that I really don't owe, which was incurred ten years ago.


AT&T has its faults, but Verizon really does stink.

That's not what the latest customer survey shows.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_792847.html

"AT&T has distinguished itself as "the lowest-scoring cell-phone carrier in the U.S,"

I have AT&T and in my area I don't have a problem. I did notice some problems when we went to Orlando for Thanksgiving. Even though you get racked over the coals with charges, I like being able to use my iPhone overseas. But, if there is a VZ iPhone, I may have to change just so I can expand my coverage area.
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Good decision. Verizon is worst then AT&T in just about every area. Verizon might have better coverage in some areas of the country, but the company actively tries to take money from you in the form of hidden fees. Customer Service stinks. I have the company trying to collect a debt from me that I really don't owe, which was incurred ten years ago.


AT&T has its faults, but Verizon really does stink.

Its not as if Verizon ever made handset vendors add an Internet portal button that was strategically placed to maximize accidental presses, incurring $90M in revenues and a class acton lawsuit. Oh wait
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 64
Is anyone else starting to suspect some of these leaks recently have been orchestrated to some extent? It seems like almost overt endorsement when Apple asks YouTube to take a clip down. Now we all know it's a genuine clip...
post #31 of 64
I think verizon will get the iPhone 4 in February. It will be white. That is all.
post #32 of 64
Keeping up with all of the rumors' prediction, this date sounds correct. The announcement will come in a few weeks at Macworld, and the phones will start selling soon afterward since Verizon has them stocked in their warehouse {http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/12/13/carrier.already.has.phone.in.stock.source.claims/} and ready to sell when Apple gives the word. Based on this article though: http://www.electronista.com/articles...esting.stages/, I may wait until iPhone 5. It basically says that 2 iphones will get sold in 2011; the one that is going to be sold on February is the one in "'AP' stage"; and the one that is going to be released on the normal schedule, which is usually after WWDC, is the one in "'Engineering Validation Test (EVT)' phase.
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

That's not what the latest customer survey shows.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_792847.html

"AT&T has distinguished itself as "the lowest-scoring cell-phone carrier in the U.S,"...

Customer surveys don't have much to do with the facts though.

The purpose of a customer survey is only that it accurately reflects what the customers think, or want, or want to think, or think they want. It necessarily draws on the anecdotal evidence and is based on the experience of isolated individuals, including any biases or misinformation they may have come across, measured against their own (personal, non-scientific), ideas of how things "should be."

None of that has anything to do with objectively determining whether one network is better than the other. Lots of people believe lots of things and the facts don't generally have much to do with it.
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

This doesn't make sense.

Yes it kind of does. The OP predicted that 2 things would happen when he should have said 1 of 2 things would happen. Basically the OP states that Verizon's network would be crushed and then that it wouldn't be crushed. Would have made most sense if the statement was "no matter what you will be 1/2 wrong and 1/2 right".
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

The announcement will come in a few weeks at Macworld...

With the MacWorld Expo being held on January 27-29 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco I suppose that its possible Apple will attend and do the Keynote, but I havent heard anyone else suggest this.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I think verizon will get the iPhone 4 in February. It will be white. That is all.

When/if they do get the iPhone, Verizon will get the same color(s) that is available to the rest of the world.

That is all.
post #37 of 64
That report is talking about their mobile service. TBell was talking about Verizon's business practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

I have AT&T and in my area I don't have a problem. I did notice some problems when we went to Orlando for Thanksgiving. Even though you get racked over the coals with charges, I like being able to use my iPhone overseas. But, if there is a VZ iPhone, I may have to change just so I can expand my coverage area.
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I think verizon will get the iPhone 4 in February. It will be white. That is all.

It Really won't be white. Not exclusively and probably not at all.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the MacWorld Expo being held on January 27-29 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco I suppose that it’s possible Apple will attend and do the Keynote, but I haven’t heard anyone else suggest this.

Apple is done with Macworld and all other tradeshows.

And why should they attend? They get far more bang for their buck by running their own media events when all focus is on them. More importantly, they get total control over the timing, venue, invitees, message, etc.

Steve is done at tradeshows.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

Keeping up with all of the rumors' prediction, this date sounds correct. The announcement will come in a few weeks at Macworld,

small issue. Apple no longer attends MacWorld. And the CEO of Verizon publicly stated that if there is ever a Verizon iPhone, Apple will announce it

So who is going to be making this big announcement at MW
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Evidence points to Apple launch of Verizon iPhone on Feb. 3 - rumor