or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Doing Software Upgrades

Doing Software Upgrades

post #1 of 6
I'll apologize straight up for a question that I suspect there is going to be a spectacularly simple answer to, and I should probably have been able to work out myself, but there we are......

If you own multiple Macs (I've got three), how can I do software updates, like the one that came out yesterday, without having to download the update three times? I assume it must be possible to download it to one of them, then grab that same file across my home network, but I don't know how to do it. When I run software update, it just downloads then goes right ahead and does the install.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.
post #2 of 6
Apple posts them on the support site. Example: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343
post #3 of 6
Magic, thanks.

One quick question. What's the difference between an Update and an Update Combo? I see the Combo is a much bigger file size.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Magic, thanks.

One quick question. What's the difference between an Update and an Update Combo? I see the Combo is a much bigger file size.

Combo if you don't have the immediately preceding version of the OS.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #5 of 6
Right. 10.6.5 --> 10.6.6 uses the update, going from previous versions uses the combo update.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smax View Post

Right. 10.6.5 --> 10.6.6 uses the update, going from previous versions uses the combo update.

I see. So if I stay on top of it, it will actually be a reasonably sized file each time.

Thanks for your help.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Doing Software Upgrades