or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Doing Software Upgrades
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doing Software Upgrades

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I'll apologize straight up for a question that I suspect there is going to be a spectacularly simple answer to, and I should probably have been able to work out myself, but there we are......

If you own multiple Macs (I've got three), how can I do software updates, like the one that came out yesterday, without having to download the update three times? I assume it must be possible to download it to one of them, then grab that same file across my home network, but I don't know how to do it. When I run software update, it just downloads then goes right ahead and does the install.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.
post #2 of 6
Apple posts them on the support site. Example: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Magic, thanks.

One quick question. What's the difference between an Update and an Update Combo? I see the Combo is a much bigger file size.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Magic, thanks.

One quick question. What's the difference between an Update and an Update Combo? I see the Combo is a much bigger file size.

Combo if you don't have the immediately preceding version of the OS.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #5 of 6
Right. 10.6.5 --> 10.6.6 uses the update, going from previous versions uses the combo update.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smax View Post

Right. 10.6.5 --> 10.6.6 uses the update, going from previous versions uses the combo update.

I see. So if I stay on top of it, it will actually be a reasonably sized file each time.

Thanks for your help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Doing Software Upgrades