or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon media event on Jan. 11 fuels Apple iPhone speculation

Verizon media event on Jan. 11 fuels Apple iPhone speculation

post #1 of 83
Verizon has invited members of the media to an event next Tuesday, Jan. 11, in New York City, fueling rumors of an impending iPhone announcement.

On Friday, Verizon sent out formal invitations to members of the press for an event to be held at the Lincoln Center. The date -- next Tuesday, four days away -- is after the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas concludes.

The invitation states that the event will feature Verizon Wireless president Lowell McAdam, but no other details were provided. Of course, Verizon has been heavily rumored to gain access to the iPhone, and end its exclusivity with rival carrier AT&T, in the near future.

Typically, Apple holds events to introduce new products at its own corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. If next week's event is for the much-anticipated Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone, it would be unique for Verizon to make the announcement instead of Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

This week, AppleInsider first reported that Apple has begun quietly restricting employee vacations at the end of January and in early February. On Friday, another rumor surfaced, suggesting that Apple could have a major product launch scheduled for Feb. 3.

Also this week, photos and video of a component claimed to be from a new iPhone, showing a new stainless steel frame and antenna design, were released online. The video showing the part was removed from YouTube after a legal complaint was filed by Apple.

Update: TechCrunch reports that "Jim Dalrymple of The Loop (which exclusively covers Apple)" confirmed that he has been invited to the Verizon event, while Gizmodo, while "normally very friendly with Verizon," says it was not invited.

Gizmodo has not been invited to Apple-run events ever since the site obtained an iPhone 4 prototype last summer, and then refused to return it to the company until it published a series of articles with photos of the device as well as a picture of a legitimizing demand letter it required from Apple in exchange for the part's return, something Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs alluded to as extortion.
post #2 of 83
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

All the clues fit nicely into place don't they?
post #3 of 83
It would be a smart move for Apple to let Verizon have the spotlight on this one. For if they have an iPhone 5 announcement this summer...well, even a fanboi would start to .
post #4 of 83
Yeah, this actually makes more sense than Apple doing the announcement themselves. After all, if it really is "just" the iPhone 4 coming to Verizon, then there isn't really a whole lot for Apple to say about the phone itself. Presumably the software will not be any different, and the only hardware differences will be whatever is necessary to make it CDMA and compatible with Verizon's frequencies. So what else is there for Apple to talk about? I think Steve Jobs might make an appearance at this event, but he probably won't be the star of the show.

This event will primarily be an opportunity for Verizon to talk about how their service with the iPhone will be different from AT&T's.
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post

Yeah, this actually makes more sense than Apple doing the announcement themselves. After all, if it really is "just" the iPhone 4 coming to Verizon, then there isn't really a whole lot for Apple to say about the phone itself. Presumably the software will not be any different, and the only hardware differences will be whatever is necessary to make it CDMA and compatible with Verizon's frequencies. So what else is there for Apple to talk about? I think Steve Jobs might make an appearance at this event, but he probably won't be the star of the show.

This event will primarily be an opportunity for Verizon to talk about how their service with the iPhone will be different from AT&T's.

While Im fairly convinced of the February 3rd release date and less convinced about this Verizon event being iPhone focused, what you state is my take on why this seems feasible.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 83
Apple stock shot up in the last 15 minutes of trading today. Did this have something to do with it?
post #7 of 83
This is actually pretty funny. Gizmodo is convinced it is iPhone related because they are always invited to Verizon events and were excluded from being invited to this one. Obviously, if it is an Apple controlled/involved event, Giz wouldn't be invited.
http://gizmodo.com/5727934/the-veriz...-on-january-11

Also, some regular Apple oriented tech writers are invited that say they are not normally personally invited to Verizon event (but I guess would be to Apple events).

I wonder if Gruber is invited. That would pretty much seal it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #8 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I’m fairly convinced of the February 3rd release date and less convinced about this Verizon event being iPhone focused, what you state is my take on why this seems feasible.

Well, if they are doing this at Lincoln Center, it's not going to be some mundane announcement. The iPhone on Verizon would be a big enough event to justify that, not sure what else would. The January 11 and February 3 dates could both be correct: one an announcement date, the other a release date.
post #9 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

This is actually pretty funny. Gizmodo is convinced it is iPhone related because they are always invited to Verizon events and were excluded from being invited to this one. Obviously, if it is an Apple controlled/involved event, Giz wouldn't be invited. ...

Well, that does pretty much give it away that it's an Apple related announcement. Unless their invitation was lost in the mail, of course.
post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, that does pretty much give it away that it's an Apple related announcement. Unless their invitation was lost in the mail, of course.

True. I think Giz implies that the fact V hasn't replied to their request for an explanation is further proof. It's funny logic, but it actually makes sense.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #11 of 83
This is perfect. If Apple do the announcement and have Verizon show up, that's one thing. But if Verizon does the announcement, it's almost like an apology. I suspect Apple will keep it low-key. Jobs might not even show up.
post #12 of 83
The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!!!1!!!11!
post #13 of 83
It might be the most anticipated carrier for the iPhone, but does Apple really need to make the announcement? Did Apple go around an make an annoucement alongside all of the other carriers around the world? It's right that it is a Verizon event IMO.

I'm glad that this is going to happen finally just so we can move on to other rumours. Speaking of which, Apple will probably hold their own event late January for the iPad and Macbooks as they've done in the past, which will be all the more reason for the vacation blackout periods.
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Apple stock shot up in the last 15 minutes of trading today. Did this have something to do with it?

VZ is down for the day. Go figure.
post #15 of 83
I would find it odd if Apple held an event to introduce a new carrier partner -- wouldn't want to diss those buying their phones through another carrier or retailer. Most likely Apple would only hold the event if it involved an entirely new product.

My guess: next Apple event will be the week of January 24 for iPad 2. But I have no evidence of this other than that would be one year from the first iPad event.
post #16 of 83
Raps *Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't believe the HYPE!*
post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

But if Verizon does the announcement, it's almost like an apology.

Uh, how?

Quote:
I suspect Apple will keep it low-key.

A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

The Verizon iPhone announcement. Low-key. Just when I thought the Internet couldn't be any funnier.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #18 of 83
A question though:
is the iPhone being on verizon already factored into the Apple stock price? It made a push upward towards the end of the day adding a billion or so in market cap. How much is such a deal worth?
post #19 of 83
my guess:
January 11 - Verizon iPhone 4
February 3 - iPad 2.0
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

This is actually pretty funny. Gizmodo is convinced it is iPhone related because they are always invited to Verizon events and were excluded from being invited to this one. Obviously, if it is an Apple controlled/involved event, Giz wouldn't be invited.
http://gizmodo.com/5727934/the-veriz...-on-january-11

Also, some regular Apple oriented tech writers are invited that say they are not normally personally invited to Verizon event (but I guess would be to Apple events).

I wonder if Gruber is invited. That would pretty much seal it.

Yep, this is the best evidence by far we have seen in the last 4+ years.
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

my guess:
January 11 - Verizon iPhone 4
February 3 - iPad 2.0

Unlikely as release dates, at least for iPad 2. It would be unlikely that iPad 2 would not require a new SDK to exploit new features, or that there would be no new features to exploit, so developers would need advance notice of the new SDK to be prepared at launch. As an announce date for iPad 2, it's possible, but would not require vacation restrictions.
post #22 of 83
Quote:

Not sure how core software works on iphone etc, but I would think there has to be some difference? No?

However, I suppose if not, features like the talk and chew gum (talk and check internet), the internet just won't come up and gives an error while the user is on speaker phone? If so, that seems a bit un-Apple-ish.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwerman View Post

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
All the clues fit nicely into place don't they?

Yup, this is happening. Announcement next Tuesday by Verizon and then to be rolled out across Verizon and Apple Stores by end of the month/ early Feb. Design is the slightly modified antenna thingy as we have seen.

This is it. Ah feel it in mah bones.
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

A question though:
is the iPhone being on verizon already factored into the Apple stock price? It made a push upward towards the end of the day adding a billion or so in market cap. How much is such a deal worth?

Well, if you were thinking about buying or selling Apple stock last week would you not have factored in the possibility/probability? Of course it is factorewd into the stock price, ALL publicly known data is factored into the stock price almost imediately after it becomes known.

The bump at the end of the day could be from investors going from 75% sure to 95% sure it will happen in the next month or two, or it could be unrelated, but it certainly is not because Wall Street is suddenly aware of the possibility.
post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

It might be the most anticipated carrier for the iPhone, but does Apple really need to make the announcement? Did Apple go around an make an annoucement alongside all of the other carriers around the world? It's right that it is a Verizon event IMO. .....

Agreed, plus, there wasn't a 'special event' for iPad being sold by Verizon.

But then again, Steve does like to control message.
post #26 of 83
Any speculation on whether it will be CDMA or LTE?
post #27 of 83
BTW, Let's **** get this over and done with so we can move on to more relevant Apple stuff. New MacBook Pros and iPad 2 thanks.
post #28 of 83
Allowing Verizon to handle the announcement is a good move. Apple doesn't want to insult AT&T, which Apple has a decent relationship with.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

No way it's LTE. Firstly it is too far off-spec from the original iPhone4 in terms of engineering, secondly LTE is still limited and not something Apple would be worried too much about pushing at this stage... IMO
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

No LTE.
post #31 of 83
I think it's pretty obvious this is a VZ iPhone announcement. Apparently they've invited all members of the media who are fanboys like MG Siegler. Gizmodo who says they're buddy buddy with Verizon but didn't get an invite and the only sensible explanation would be it's Apple related (and we all know why Gizmodo is not invited to anything Apple).
post #32 of 83
Anybody want to make odds on whether Verizon will also announce that they've made the necessary upgrades to their CDMA network to allow simultaneous voice and data? Supposedly it's not a difficult upgrade to make, but I find it hard to believe they could pull it off without news of it leaking out by now.
post #33 of 83
Looks like these guys called it first (from yesterday):

Meanwhile, word is on the street that the Verizon iPhone could be introduced as early as Monday or Tuesday next week, almost exactly four years after the introduction of the original iPhone. While Apple hasnt scheduled any special event just yet, several gear manufacturers currently at CES are telling us that the Cupertino-based company will likely send last minute invitations for a next week launch.

Taken from http://www.iosnoops.com/2011/01/06/c...-launch-rumor/
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Not sure how core software works on iphone etc, but I would think there has to be some difference? No?

However, I suppose if not, features like the talk and chew gum (talk and check internet), the internet just won't come up and gives an error while the user is on speaker phone? If so, that seems a bit un-Apple-ish.

It'll pry just be like trying it on AT&T edge. It says cellular data cannot be accessed or activated or something like that.
post #35 of 83
Especially anything Apple iPhone -- Gizmodo banned for all eternity. Although they may be able to watch from their prison cells soon ...
post #36 of 83
Quote:

I agree, and especially if Apple has re-engineered the antenna/frame, having Verizon announce takes the focus off of the correction of this so-called "design flaw."
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #37 of 83
NOTHLIT has it right. This is about Verizon and how they're NOT going to screw up the opportunity they now have. Jobs will be there to bring out any new features etc.
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax_festival View Post

It'll pry just be like trying it on AT&T edge. It says cellular data cannot be accessed or activated or something like that.

Its possible part of the announcement will be about retrofitting simultaneous voice and data over EV-DO Rev. A. Last year it was floating around that Verizon was working on that, then it just went away.

Even if that doesnt happen Verizon users who are willing to get the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 is months away wont care. Theyll want the iPhone because its the iPhone and certainly wont miss a feature theyve had on Verizon.
post #39 of 83
They should talk about iPad on VZW, all about LTE then say, 'But there IS one more thing' and have Steve Jobs walk on stage to thunderous applause.
post #40 of 83
Not that it needed anymore proof it was for the iPhone...

from Twitter @Ihnatko "Looks like I'll be in New York City on Tuesday. You know, for the citrus festival. "
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon media event on Jan. 11 fuels Apple iPhone speculation