or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday - Page 4

post #121 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*An iPhone can be purchased at full price without a contract. To be used within the United States, the aforementioned iPhone must then be put on a plan that is a contract or by using T-Mobile. Side effects may include lack of Visual Voicemail, 3G, and less coverage. Terms and conditions still apply.

1) There are other brands of phone available in the US market besides the iPhone.

2) You can put a non-contract iPhone on the AT&T network without a contract using a go phone SIM. This can be done by jailbreaking and unlocking a US iPhone, or by getting a sim for an unlocked foreign iPhone. I don't believe you will get visual voicemail ( I have not checked) but the coverage and data speeds are the same as with a contract.

3) You can put the non-contract phone on AT&T with a post paid PLAN with no two year commitments or CONTRACT. You pay the same per months as the 2 year contract, but you can cancell at anytime without penalty.

The key point is like the US, MOST other countries do have contracts and locked phones. The terms of how long the contract is and if and when you can get the phone unlocked vary country to country. Also the popularity (and pricing differences) of contracts verses prepay varies, but most places I have been have both options, just like the US.
post #122 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Wrong again buckwheat.... Out of the 26 countries I've been in - to date - Europe, Asia and the Middle-East, NONE (NONE - ZERO) require contracts. You can walk in a cell phone store - buy a GSM SIM card for a local provider - and POOF ! You're done...

Wow, wrong even after it pointed out to you several times and now you come back with an ad hominem attack, that I argue can be seen as racial in nature. Looks like someone is trying to get himself banned.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #123 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*An iPhone can be purchased at full price without a contract. To be used within the United States, the aforementioned iPhone must then be put on a plan that is a contract or by using T-Mobile. Side effects may include lack of Visual Voicemail, 3G, and less coverage. Terms and conditions still apply.

Oh, so you're saying APPLE requires a contract to use the iphone in the USA. You see, the OP said "Out of the 26 countries I've been in - to date - Europe, Asia and the Middle-East, NONE (NONE - ZERO) require contracts. You can walk in a cell phone store - buy a GSM SIM card for a local provider - and POOF !"

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds to me like he's talking about countries requiring contracts. Neither the USA, nor ATT require a contract to use the iPhone. You're welcome to break Apple's heart and jailbreak it and use it as you like. Neither Apple, nor ATT, nor the universe, is at fault for Tmobile using frequencies on their network that the iPhone does not support.
post #124 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Oh, so you're saying APPLE requires a contract to use the iphone in the USA. You see, the OP said "Out of the 26 countries I've been in - to date - Europe, Asia and the Middle-East, NONE (NONE - ZERO) require contracts. You can walk in a cell phone store - buy a GSM SIM card for a local provider - and POOF !"

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds to me like he's talking about countries requiring contracts. Neither the USA, nor ATT require a contract to use the iPhone. You're welcome to break Apple's heart and jailbreak it and use it as you like. Neither Apple, nor ATT, nor the universe, is at fault for Tmobile using frequencies on their network that the iPhone does not support.

1) AT&Ts requires the contract for new iPhones. I dont think they sell them at the unsubsidized price.

2) The OP is foolishly mixing a SIM locked device and contract lock in. He doesnt understand that the word lock can be used in several ways.

3) He fails to understand there are countries that have contracts that lock you in for a set duration (as AT&T was trying to due with the iPhone 4 with the early contract release for previous iPhone users. They can do this with or without the phone being locked to the carrier.

4) You can use an unlocked/locked phone on AT&T with/without a contract which invalidates the mindless ramblings of the OP.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #125 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) AT&T’s requires the contract for new iPhones. I don’t think they sell them at the unsubsidized price.

actually they do. However it is still sim locked to ATT, thanks to a lack of laws requiring them to unlock it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*An iPhone can be purchased at full price without a contract. To be used within the United States, the aforementioned iPhone must then be put on a plan that is a contract

You are both right and wrong.

When you sign up for any cell service from any provider you must sign a contract where you promise to pay the agreed upon amount for the agreed service rendered or to be rendered as stated in the agreement.

However in the sense of signing that agreement for an extended period you are wrong. If I buy a full price any phone, no carrier or law requires me to commit to that service for anything more than month to month (for non pay as you go devices). I can quit the carrier at any time with only the current service fees due. No ETF since no contract was terminated and no subsidy was paid.

Now that said, there is one flaw in the system. The monthly rates are exactly the same as if I was under contract despite the claim that part of my monthly fee is supposed to paying back the subsidy that is the reason for the contract and the ETF

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #126 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Echo chamber at work.


Does WSJ know or are they just picking up rumors and not wanting to look like they didn't pipe up to say something prescient, just in case it really, really happens this time?

How many times have they been wrong?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #127 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

However in the sense of signing that agreement for an extended period you are wrong. If I buy a full price any phone, no carrier or law requires me to commit to that service for anything more than month to month (for non pay as you go devices). I can quit the carrier at any time with only the current service fees due. No ETF since no contract was terminated and no subsidy was paid.

So you're saying you can pay full price for an iPhone and use it on AT&T as a GoPhone plan?

I don't believe that. Does AT&T acknowledge it?
post #128 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're saying you can pay full price for an iPhone and use it on AT&T as a GoPhone plan?

I don't believe that. Does AT&T acknowledge it?

Unlock it, works fine.
post #129 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Unlock it, works fine.

Ah, didn't think so. No, not really. They'll see you on the network and add a data plan.
post #130 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, didn't think so. No, not really. They'll see you on the network and add a data plan.

This has worked with many users. I use way more data than one could possibly use without tethering so they either are to incompetent to know (which seems silly seeing as how they list my data usage) or they dont care enough to risk losing a customer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #131 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, didn't think so. No, not really. They'll see you on the network and add a data plan.

What exactly are you attempting to prove? Clearly unlocking your iphone does allow you to use it on ATT if you want. You are arguing various little points, and anytime one gets proven wrong, you start something else. What is the broad point you're trying to make? Are you just laser focused on using an iPhone with Pay as you go? Doing that requires bending the rules of the system. Yep. Who cares? Pretty much nobody in the states is on pay as you go plans. So what's your angle here?
post #132 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're saying you can pay full price for an iPhone and use it on AT&T as a GoPhone plan?

I don't believe that. Does AT&T acknowledge it?

Yup, works beautifully. My ip4 is factory unlocked, I activated an AT&T SIM on the $2/day unlimited goPhone plan, chopped up the SIM and everything works fine. Last time I was in the US a few weeks ago, I added the $20/100MB data plan, updated my APN and it worked fine. Worst case, they'll see my IMEI is an iPhone and kill my data. No biggie, I'll just activate another SIM with a new number and get data on that if I need to. Officially, I think AT&T's stance is that smartphones aren't supported on goPhone. They certainly won't add a data plan. Their point us they don't want you using gophone data with an iPhone. They'd rather kill the data.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #133 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What exactly are you attempting to prove? Clearly unlocking your iphone does allow you to use it on ATT if you want.

Not the point. The point is data.

Quote:
You are arguing various little points, and anytime one gets proven wrong, you start something else. What is the broad point you're trying to make?

Shouldn't be forced into a data plan.

Quote:
Are you just laser focused on using an iPhone with Pay as you go?

Contract is fine, sans data.
post #134 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not the point. The point is data.



Shouldn't be forced into a data plan.



Contract is fine, sans data.

Well get off the message board and call your congressperson. You're wasting both of our time posting on a message board with your whining.
post #135 of 146
CBS made announcement before 60 minutes that verizon was announcing on Tuesday that they will carry the iPhone . Didn't say "rumor" they said "will announce". Maybe this is for real this time
post #136 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Well get off the message board and call your congressperson. You're wasting both of our time posting on a message board with your whining.

Call someone in the pockets of the telecoms? What does Congress ever do about anything? The only thing that matters is users' responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c64 View Post

CBS made announcement before 60 minutes that verizon was announcing on Tuesday that they will carry the iPhone . Didn't say "rumor" they said "will announce". Maybe this is for real this time

Parroting what they've already heard.
post #137 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What does Congress ever do about anything? The only thing that matters is users responses




What Does Congress Do?
Congress is responsible for passing laws, determining how money is spent by government and influencing foreign policy. It has the power to approve judges appointed by the president, remove judges from the Supreme Court, declare war, shape trade policies with other countries and make decisions about foreign aid.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #138 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Call someone in the pockets of the telecoms? What does Congress ever do about anything? The only thing that matters is users' responses.

You're right, so smart. Better to moan endlessly to people with even less influence and expect an outcome. So smart.
post #139 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Parroting what they've already heard.

But....... News stations only report on the "facts"
post #140 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Excluding Gizmodo from the event certainly seems an extremely strong indication that this is the iPhone launch event.

I wonder if Gizmodo has any credibility left at all out there? Was it worth it guys?

They can always go and leak info on the 80 something new tablets soon to be launched. Oh wait a minute no one would be interested.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #141 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

Wrong again buckwheat.... .

Wow! Banned by tomorrow I hope!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #142 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) AT&Ts requires the contract for new iPhones. I dont think they sell them at the unsubsidized price.

2) The OP is foolishly mixing a SIM locked device and contract lock in. He doesnt understand that the word lock can be used in several ways.

3) He fails to understand there are countries that have contracts that lock you in for a set duration (as AT&T was trying to due with the iPhone 4 with the early contract release for previous iPhone users. They can do this with or without the phone being locked to the carrier.

4) You can use an unlocked/locked phone on AT&T with/without a contract which invalidates the mindless ramblings of the OP.

you can buy an iphone for full price from any apple store
except i think cash is a no no
and only one at a time
the after market for apple iphones of any gen is huge


9


peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #143 of 146

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #144 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1231 View Post

Verizon and AT&T have the highest data charges. Apple would be much smarter to go with Sprint. Sprint still has unlimited data plans and can easily keep owning an iPhone under a $100 a mth, something Verizon and AT&T really can't do.

My AT&T iphone is under $100 a month. Only by a couple bucks, but it is under.
post #145 of 146
Unsubscribing from this thread to focus on the new influx of threads, posts, flames, and other madness to come in several hours time. See y'all on the flip side of the announcement! Have a good VZ event!
post #146 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Watch AAPL jump tomorrow.

How about Monday, with a shorting in the afternoon and then a really big jump on Tuesday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998. Don't be surprised if AAPL falls initially.

Told you
A is A
Reply
A is A
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday