or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday

WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday - Page 2

post #41 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcom006 View Post

WiMax and LTE are very similar. I have little doubt Sprint will be LTE in the next few years when true 4G really matters.
I don't think Apple will do an LTE phone until 2013 anyways. Maybe 2012, but a lot will have to change between now and then with chips and battery life.

Sprint is forced to buy wi-max...don't be silly. When Sprint goes LTE...Tmobile Germany buy Sprint.
post #42 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Doesn't seem to have hurt them much in general. As they point out, they still get invited pretty much everywhere, except Apple events.

I started avoiding Gizmodo after the stupid pranks they pulled at CES in 2008. I was starting to get a little lax and occasionally clicking a link to Gizmodo, but the whole stolen iPhone affair reinforce my resolve to avoid their site.
post #43 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

At last. Now I can get my iPhone back that I abandoned last summer.

If you mean that you've got an old iPhone lying around that you're hoping to use with Verizon, then you're in for a disappointment since that old iPhone uses the GSM system and will be incompatible with the CDMA system that Verizon uses. Perhaps Verizon can announce a trade-in program where ATT users can switch their current iPhones for a Verizon iPhone to encourage people to make the switch.
post #44 of 146
Man, I hope you're right!! I just re-upped for two years. I just HAD to have the iPhone 4.
post #45 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Echo chamber at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Yeah, cause the WSJ is the same as the National Enquirer. Those jokers at the Journal never check their facts.

Yeah, I agree. That's how they've won multiple Pulitzer Prizes and other prestigious journalism awards.

Including the 42nd Annual RFK Journalism award for international story in 2010.
http://www.rfkcenter.org/node/490

Quote:

Hearts, Mind, and Blood: The Battle for Iran, Farnaz Fassihi,

The Wall Street Journal: Under great personal danger, Farnaz Fassihi, a native Iranian, captured compelling stories about Iranian resistance and the attempts to silence it. Her series features chilling personal tales from both sides of the issue and has drawn intense reaction among members of the U.S. Congress, academics from around the globe, and members of the Iranian diaspora.

There's an echo chamber, all right. Between your ears.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4101011AAcu6VS

All of which is irrelevant as to whether they've got this story about something which hasn't happened right. Right or wrong, they're still a sophisticated world-wide news op and you're a conditioned reflex.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #46 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How about Monday, with a shorting in the afternoon and then a really big jump on Tuesday?

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998. Don't be surprised if AAPL falls initially.

Longer term - March or April, it's certain to climb as Apple struggles to meet "unexpectedly strong" consumer demand
A is A
A is A
post #47 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998.

Could you please tell me why you think that? Every single date for its launch for the past three and a half years has been an outright lie.

I mean, the Wall Street Journal has been throwing out dates for years. They've never been right. They know nothing, and have lost all credibility. If they're right this time, it's completely meaningless.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #48 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... Every single date for its launch for the past three and a half years has been an outright lie.

I mean, the Wall Street Journal has been throwing out dates for years. They've never been right. They know nothing, and have lost all credibility. If they're right this time, it's completely meaningless.

To characterize anything the WSJ writes as an "outright lie" isn't defensible. Any investor ought to know anything anyone's written on the subject has been speculative. What else could an investor expect?

Until it's released it remains a speculative product. If you phone Apple's press office Monday morning, their reply will be "we don't comment on future product releases."

As far as dates are concerned who cares. For all we know Apple might have canceled the entire CDMA project unless they were certain to meet whatever objectives they've decided upon.
A is A
A is A
post #49 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Well, the stars do seem to be aligning.

and glowing red....
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #50 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

VZ iPhone must be Apple's worst kept secret since 1998. Don't be surprised if AAPL falls initially.

Longer term - March or April, it's certain to climb as Apple struggles to meet "unexpectedly strong" consumer demand

Apple wont fall. err you are talking about stock. That, we will see...
post #51 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1231 View Post

Verizon and AT&T have the highest data charges. Apple would be much smarter to go with Sprint. Sprint still has unlimited data plans and can easily keep owning an iPhone under a $100 a mth, something Verizon and AT&T really can't do.

I think you are mistaking what's best for you for what's best for Apple.
post #52 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Excluding Gizmodo from the event certainly seems an extremely strong indication that this is the iPhone launch event.

I wonder if Gizmodo has any credibility left at all out there? Was it worth it guys?

Sure they do. They probably get more invites now than before just not ones from Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #53 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I started avoiding Gizmodo after the stupid pranks they pulled at CES in 2008. I was starting to get a little lax and occasionally clicking a link to Gizmodo, but the whole stolen iPhone affair reinforce my resolve to avoid their site.

Not that I condone what they did, but I still visit their site and they probably gained many more readers than they lost.
post #54 of 146
Meh. I say that this only adds a max of an extra 30 000 activations to the iOS ecosystem a day. And that's assuming that the iPhone sells at the same level of demand as it does on AT&T and that a lot of customers are new activations, not just AT&T customers moving over. Those are some huge assumptions.

Using AT&T iphone sales as a guide is just flawed logic. All their other offerings are crap, until very recently. Why would you get anything but the iPhone on AT&T? And their numbers do get stacked. Where else would iPhone users go? They have no choice but to stick to AT&T. I am curious to see what happens when AT&T starts pushing the competition as the iPhone becomes just one offering among many.

What will be awesome though will be what the competition does for iPhone prices. We're already seeing $50 iPhones. The USA will finally see iPhones free on contract like you do elsewhere in the world. Maybe even BOGO deals for the iPhone (which will finally stop those ridiculous arguments that OEMs are padding their numbers through BOGO deals offered by carriers desperate to get upsell data contracts).

I'm also curious to see what happens to Apple's ASP. Will their subsidies drop as they lose exclusivity? If so, what happens to their ASP?
post #55 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

...not just AT&T customers moving over...

What does it matter to Apple? They've already sold the other iDevices; Apple has their money, and they'll just get more with the necessity of a new device.

Quote:
Where else would iPhone users go? They have no choice but to stick to AT&T.

T-Mobile... any of the other GSM providers... You know.

post #56 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

\

Two guys tinkering in a garage.
Who would have thought that one day the phone company would be in their hands!

Particularly when the first tinkering they were doing was making blue boxes that allowed them to make long distance phone calls for free :-)
post #57 of 146
Quote:

What does it matter to Apple? They've already sold the other iDevices; Apple has their money, and they'll just get more with the necessity of a new device.

In one paragraph he states its ridiculous that RiM could have lowered their ASP which allowed BOGO sales to successfully increase their net profits, and in the next hes curious to see what happens to the iPhones ASP.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #58 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Particularly when the first tinkering they were doing was making blue boxes that allowed them to make long distance phone calls for free :-)

*Steve on stage announcing the VeriPhone on xx/xx/2xxx*

Steve: Here, let me just call someone...

*rings*

Woz: Hey, Steve! What's up?

Steve: Hey, Woz, I just want to try out a three-way call. Stay on the line.

*Steve dials the Vatican, asks for the Pope*

Woz: You want me to pretend to be Kissinger again?

post #59 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post

Man, I hope you're right!! I just re-upped for two years. I just HAD to have the iPhone 4.

ruh roh
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #60 of 146
what about all new iphone 4 for all
new antennae and everything, faster cycle to keep android at bay
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #61 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Yeah, I agree. That's how they've won multiple Pulitzer Prizes and other prestigious journalism awards.

Including the 42nd Annual RFK Journalism award for international story in 2010.
http://www.rfkcenter.org/node/490

There's an echo chamber, all right. Between your ears.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4101011AAcu6VS

All of which is irrelevant as to whether they've got this story about something which hasn't happened right. Right or wrong, they're still a sophisticated world-wide news op and you're a conditioned reflex.

In your feverish rush to hump the WSJ's leg, you missed the obvious sarcasm of shadash's post.

And if the mutual admiration society awards they have received are irrelevant, why did you mention them?
post #62 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

In your feverish rush to hump the WSJ's leg, you missed the obvious sarcasm of shadash's post.

And if the mutual admiration society awards they have received are irrelevant, why did you mention them?

post #63 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what about all new iphone 4 for all
new antennae and everything, faster cycle to keep android at bay

1. It wouldn't be the same phone, therefore not the iPhone 4.
2. Apple doesn't need to "keep Android at bay".
3. They're not giving people free iPhones.

post #64 of 146
it might just be an announcement of flexview available on the ipad and iphone\
post #65 of 146
Quote:

Read the whole sentence. I was referring to activations per day.

Quote:

Riiiight. Because the current GSM chipset on the iPhone 4 is compatible with T-Mobile USA's AWS band.
post #66 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In one paragraph he states its ridiculous that RiM could have lowered their ASP which allowed BOGO sales to successfully increase their net profits, and in the next hes curious to see what happens to the iPhones ASP.

Can you quote the line where I mentioned RIM? Because I don't see any place in my post where RIM was mentioned once. Quit putting words in my mouth.

I am all for BOGO sales. In fact, screw BOGO sales. I really think all smartphones should be free on contract. If you're forking over a few grand to a carrier for a multi-year lock in, there's really no excuse for them not to pay for your phone. I look forward to that day.

I said I am curious what happens to Apple's ASP if AT&T loses exclusivity. It's a genuine curiosity. Not a dig at Apple. I really do want to know if they will manage to maintain it or it will slide.
post #67 of 146
Quote:

3. They're not giving people free iPhones.

That's only true in the US. And just a reminder...the USA =/= the world.
post #68 of 146
My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February. Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards. This is similar to what Telus and Bell did in Canada in 2009. People claimed that Apple was going to give them a CDMA iPhone but they instead only got the iPhone 4 after migrating their network to support GSM. Also keep in mind that Apple is going to release the next iPhone in the summer as they have done at the same time every year since the first iPhone 2G model launched. So I highly doubt Verizon customers will get a 4G iPhone and instead will have the same model we all have which is HSPA 3G.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
post #69 of 146
Quote:

Riiiight. Because the current GSM chipset on the iPhone 4 is compatible with T-Mobile USA's AWS band.

3G is meaningless. It works as a phone and works for EDGE. That it works is the point.

Quote:

That's only true in the US. And just a reminder...the USA =/= the world.

Of course. I took it that he was implying people would get free upgrades.

post #70 of 146
Quote:

I am all for BOGO sales. In fact, screw BOGO sales. I really think all smartphones should be free on contract. If you're forking over a few grand to a carrier for a multi-year lock in, there's really no excuse for them not to pay for your phone. I look forward to that day.

I said I am curious what happens to Apple's ASP if AT&T loses exclusivity. It's a genuine curiosity. Not a dig at Apple. I really do want to know if they will manage to maintain it or it will slide.

This would only be realistic if all smartphones were roughly the same cost. The carrier provides a subsidy of $X and the customer pays the difference between that subsidy and the phone cost.

I do wonder if Apple will take a hit on the ASP of the iPhone. I don't think it will be that large even if they do - the increased unit sales will likely more than offset any decline in ASP.
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February. Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards. This is similar to what Telus and Bell did in Canada in 2009. People claimed that Apple was going to give them a CDMA iPhone but they instead only got the iPhone 4 after migrating their network to support GSM. Also keep in mind that Apple is going to release the next iPhone in the summer as they have done at the same time every year since the first iPhone 2G model launched. So I highly doubt Verizon customers will get a 4G iPhone and instead will have the same model we all have which is HSPA 3G.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. No way is VZW migrating to GSM.
post #72 of 146
Quote:

My brother is with Verizon

"Know a guy who knows a guy who knows..."

Quote:
Verizon has already started their migration to GSM phones that use SIM cards.

No, Verizon has already started their migration to LTE phones that use SIM cards. Get it straight. CDMA/LTE, not GSM/LTE. Any Verizon iPhone would have to be a minimum GSM/CDMA because LTE does not carry voice, only data.

post #73 of 146
Quote:

My brother is with Verizon and is anticipating the iPhone launch though both of us believe it will be an iPhone 4 (HSPA 3G) GSM model launching with Verizon in February.

You realize that means your brother, despite what he might say and you might believe, is totally out of the loop at Verizon and seems to have no chance of ever making anything of himself in any technology industry, right? That's like someone whose brother words for Merrill Lynch believing that ML is planning to issue its own currency and compete with the US Mint. Destined to stay in the mail room.
post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcom006 View Post

No need for rumors. They're already testing. You can read about it on Clearwire's own site. While they're not out and out talking about dropping WiMax, it has more to do with trying to manage the public perception. Both will likely exist on some level for some time as both have their advantages in different settings. They're also very, very similar. By the time it's a relevant discuss, the worst case scenario is there will be a dual LTE/WiMax radio just like dual band GSM/CDMA setups. I really don't think the 4G thing will be an issue for Apple for a couple more years. They'll wait for a better rollout and better technology than will exist in the near future. It's not like this iPhone or likely the next one will have LTE, so the concern in the near future is a bit irrelevant.

Although it seems that you're on Sprint's network and awaiting the iPhone's arrival on it, I do hope that you do take into some consideration of how long it took Apple to get the Qualcomm dual-mode chip (CDMA/GSM that supports LTE). This chip is what will allow them to make one design for future LTE iPhones whether they will use CDMA or GSM for backup. Up until it's arrival, Apple has been frustrated with the possibility of redesigning a whole new iPhone for Verizon due to past designs being too big to shoehorn into the iPhone. They will be using a newer version of the Qualcomm dual-mode chip that is currently being used in the Motorola Droid 2 Global for the Verizon iPhone that's being announced on Tues, 1-11-11. Don't get me wrong bro, but your dream of the phone having a dual LTE/WiMax Radio is great and will take a while just as the Qualcomm dual-mode chip took to make. Apple will have to release a second model for WiMax, and you have to realize that their style is just making one design for their product. Even looking at a potential next carrier from a numbers standpoint, just knowing that Sprint may transition to LTE from WiMax is a big obstacle for them in becoming a next iPhone carrier.
post #75 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

They may be using a newer version of the Qualcomm dual-mode chip that is currently being used in the Motorola Droid 2 Global for the Verizon iPhone that may be announced on Tues, 1-11-11.

Fixed.

post #76 of 146
Quote:

Fixed.

Forgive my excitement in getting a Verizon iPhone soon; my miser but has been holding on too long to the phone I bought in 2005. The rumor mill got me anticipating this possible moment. Thanks for the correction bro!
post #77 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm37 View Post

Forgive my excitement in getting a Verizon iPhone soon; my miser but has been holding on too long to the phone I bought in 2005. The rumor mill got me anticipating this possible moment. Thanks for the correction bro!

Hey, same here. Verizon craphone from aught five as well. It's always best to be pessimistic.

post #78 of 146
I just tested my iphone 3G speed on Thursday, and again today, at various spots, and found the speed of ATT's HSPA+ network has "mysteriously" increased from a steady 1.2 Mbps download/.32 Mbps upload speed to between 3 and 4.3 Mbps download/.54 to 1.2 Mbps upload speed.

How CONVENIENT for ATT to suddenly unlock the speed that has probably been there all along, so they can boast that their so-called 4G network (HSPA+ actually) can compete with Verizon's upcoming 4G LTE network.

Makes me furious that they could have done this earlier, which will no doubt come out in the news next week as a smarmy way of keeping iPhone users from defecting, or to keep new users from going to Verizon.

Both ATT and Verizon are deceptive companies who will do anything to make their bottom line - what's that you say? --- "I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED" (with apologies to Capt Renault (Claude Rains) from Casablanca).
post #79 of 146
And the great Android sucking sound is about to begin. Android sales have been dropping for months, I won't predict they will stop, but watch as android supported devices get very cheap or nonexistent.
post #80 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I do wonder if Apple will take a hit on the ASP of the iPhone. I don't think it will be that large even if they do - the increased unit sales will likely more than offset any decline in ASP.

Apple will not take any hit, Verizon is so begging to get the iPhone they will likely pay even more than AT&T does. That won't matter either, Verizon customers have been so starved for the iPhone they may even break the first day sales through AT&T. Even better for you Android users, watch as those phone get really cheap.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Verizon to announce CDMA iPhone 4 on Tuesday