or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Happy April Fool's Day!

Happy April Fool's Day!

post #1 of 6
Obama Administration Reportedly Plans to Create Internet ID for All Americans

Quote:
White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt told (CNET.com) it is "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet.

Identity. Ecosystem. U.S government. Perfect.

Quote:
Schmidt stresses that anonymity will remain on the Internet, saying there's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge."

Pardon me for saying so but fuck this guy.
A is A
A is A
post #2 of 6

Quote:
The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace is currently being drafted by the Obama administration and will be released by the president in a few months.

Quote:
"We are not talking about a national ID card. We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy, and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities," Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said at an event Friday at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, according to CNET.com.

There goes the Internet in the US. It does amount to a National ID card...the government can track you. Chances are that it will expand through time so Big Brother will know everything you do on the Internet. There's already a limited capability on the Internet to track your moves by your computer.....ever wonder how some ads are tailored to your interest?
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

....ever wonder how some ads are tailored to your interest?

No, since I'm aware that Google inspects the email I choose to send through their servers. Besides, the ads aren't tailored for me, they're tailored to the email address I've chosen to use. There's a difference. I don't expect Gmail to be free - Google ads are the price I agree to pay. If they become bothersome, I can abandon the account.

Google does a splendid job minimizing spam anyway, so I put up with the intrusiveness. Besides, using Google is my decision. I'm not compelled to participate. When someone else comes up with a better alternative I'll use it.

I'm aware of DPI also. The difference between all that and this proposal is the intent to brand people with a unique identification for the purpose of... what was it again? Enhancing privacy? This is about as Orwellian as it gets.

These idiots have learned nothing from November 2.
A is A
A is A
post #4 of 6
I'd be very surprised if the government can't already see what you're doing. I'm pretty sure they can for individuals and I know that American citizens abroad are allowed to be tracked whilst their online by the US government.

Governments are control freaks, like it or not, nothing will be private in the future.

I don't know too much about cookies following people. How detailed are those? I know they're used to gather a fair bit of information and then sold on to private businesses. Maybe it will turn out that that information being widely available wil be even more of a loss of... Lol...the word escapes me...tip of tongue! Aarggh...flip it...I'm sure you can work it out....anonymity but more than that...more secure...
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #5 of 6
You know, I wonder if this sort of lame-brained proposal is deliberately intended to bring out society's lunatics. Sooner or later another Timothy McVeigh or whatever is going to go postal. Perhaps the Giffords shooting was motivated by stuff like this:

Quote:
Books:I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.

Doesn't look good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Governments are control freaks,

Exactly my point. Idiots like this play right into the hands of government psychopaths seeking to exert control.
A is A
A is A
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

You know, I wonder if this sort of lame-brained proposal is deliberately intended to bring out society's lunatics. Sooner or later another Timothy McVeigh or whatever is going to go postal. Perhaps the Giffords shooting was motivated by stuff like this:

Doesn't look good...

Exactly my point. Idiots like this play right into the hands of government psychopaths seeking to exert control.

You have a point but I doubt they design their policies to make people violently react, but I bet it crosses there minds that people might sometimes.

Facebook amazes me. How people can give so much information about themselves (and others) to a boat load of companies (and homeland security et al) is mind boggling. Not my thing, but they just don't seem to think it matters.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Happy April Fool's Day!