or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gifford shooting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gifford shooting - Page 3

post #81 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Well at least you are consistent. I don't believe that any crime is any better or worse than any other of the same crime. Murder is murder, assault is assault, and if someone has a record of assault or murder, they should be dealt with accordingly. Whether their record is all gay people, all Christians or all people who wear ties on Sunday.

Why can't you see that murdering someone with the intent of striking fear in the hearts of anyone else who shares some commonality (ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, et cetera) is committing two crimes at once? He's murdering a single person and assaulting an entire community at the same time.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #82 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Why can't you see that murdering someone with the intent of striking fear in the hearts of anyone else who shares some commonality (ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, et cetera) is committing two crimes at once? He's murdering a single person and assaulting an entire community at the same time.

He is mentally and emotionally disturbed and his parents should have been looking into this type of behavior a long time ago.Now it is to late the damage has be done to families and a whole entire state.
post #83 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Has nothing to do with political gain. It has everything to do with being sick and fucking tired of the violent conservative rhetoric. Liberals are not traitors, as put forward by Ann Coulter. Liberals are not enemies of the state, as put forward by Glen Beck. Julian Assange should not be assassinated as promoted by Sarah Palin.

Really? Were you sick and tired of the violent liberal rhetoric when Bush was in office?
post #84 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

He is mentally and emotionally disturbed and his parents should have been looking into this type of behavior a long time ago.Now it is to late the damage has be done to families and a whole entire state.

Most such violent assassins are mentally and emotionally disturbed.

The 911 hijackers were undoubtedly emotionally and mentally disturbed as are all suicide bombers by definition.

Are you going to apply the same excuse to them?

The one thing I think the US needs to look at though is this: the CULTURE which is the milieu these type of killings occur in.

It's not a question of Left/Right or Palin or anyone else. It is a culture endemic in the US where violent rhetoric and extremist language is the norm and is seen as acceptable. If you get disturbed individuals within such a culture - as you must - and if they feel 'justified' then this will continue to happen.

And it will happen again.

The question is not anything to do with politics. It is a human/societal issue and one which has particular roots in US culture.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #85 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Really? Were you sick and tired of the violent liberal rhetoric when Bush was in office?

You are a parody of the right.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #86 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Most such violent assassins are mentally and emotionally disturbed.

The 911 hijackers were undoubtedly emotionally and mentally disturbed as are all suicide bombers by definition.

Are you going to apply the same excuse to them?

The one thing I think the US needs to look at though is this: the CULTURE which is the milieu these type of killings occur in.

It's not a question of Left/Right or Palin or anyone else. It is a culture endemic in the US where violent rhetoric and extremist language is the norm and is seen as acceptable. If you get disturbed individuals within such a culture - as you must - and if they feel 'justified' then this will continue to happen.

And it will happen again.

The question is not anything to do with politics. It is a human/societal issue and one which has particular roots in US culture.

I'm not sure that "most" suicide bombers are like this guy. Within the ranks of those that commit extreme violence surely their mental state has a broad spectrum.


The US is overly wrapped up in bravado and violent rhetoric. From my years there I heard it in many forms, and whilst it exists in the UK, it's rare to hear it. It's like a capped bottle and those that express violent intentions are expressing the repressed feelings of others and get applauded for it. America though is diverse and that's far from the case with many people.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #87 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You are a parody of the right.

You're a pure hypocrite.
post #88 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

This makes me so angry. Not the fact you posted it, but that it is even out there to be posted. That anyone would spew such hatred. Especially someone in their supposed position. There is not an emoticon strong enough. There is staying true to your beliefs, and there is taking joy in someone elses misery and pain. They are two totally different things. This "church" needs to be pulled out by the roots and replaced with one that understands the concept of "love thy enemy and do good to those who persecute you" and how being the persecutor is not up to them. "they will know we are Christians by our love..."

My spirit weeps. And at the same time I am very angry. My apologies to any that read that. They do not represent any true Christians that I know.

I totally agree with you. Pure garbage. I try not to let it make me angry though, it doesn't deserve the energy.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #89 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Why can't you see that murdering someone with the intent of striking fear in the hearts of anyone else who shares some commonality (ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, et cetera) is committing two crimes at once? He's murdering a single person and assaulting an entire community at the same time.

Why can't you see that what you're saying is bullshit? This idea is a fabrication made out of whole cloth. You have taken an actual crime (e.g., assault or murder of a single person) and expanded it to be assault against many people by divination of someone thoughts and feelings.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #90 of 286
Back to this Sarah Palin inspired murderer:

Shooting suspect's nihilism rose with isolation:

Quote:
At an event roughly three years ago, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords took a question from Jared Loughner, the man accused of trying to assassinate her and killing six other people. According to two of his high school friends the question was essentially this: "What is government if words have no meaning?"

Loughner was angry about her response she read the question and didn't have much to say.

"He was like ... 'What do you think of these people who are working for the government and they can't describe what they do?'" one friend told The Associated Press on Sunday.

"He did not like government officials, how they spoke. Like they were just trying to cover up some conspiracy," the friend added.

Both friends spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they wanted to avoid the publicity surrounding the case.

To them, the question was classic Jared: confrontational, nonsensical and obsessed with how words create reality.


Quote:
The friends' comments paint a picture bolstered by other former classmates and Loughner's own Internet postings: That of a social outcast with nihilistic, almost indecipherable beliefs steeped in mistrust and paranoia.


Quote:
Mistrust of government was Loughner's defining conviction, the friends said.

He believed the U.S. government was behind 9/11, and worried that governments were maneuvering to create a unified monetary system ("a New World Order currency" one friend said) so that social elites and bureaucrats could control the rest of the world.

On his YouTube page, he listed among his favorite books "Animal Farm" and "Brave New World" two novels about how authorities control the masses.

Other books in the wide-ranging list included "Mein Kampf," "The Communist Manifesto," "Peter Pan" and Aesop's Fables.

Over time, Loughner became increasingly introspective what one of the friends described as a "nihilistic rut."
An ardent atheist, he began to characterize people as sheep whose free will was being sapped by the government and the monotony of modern life.

"He didn't want people to wake up and do the same thing every day. He wanted more chaos, he wanted less regularity," one friend said.


Long read...but this guy pretty much sounds like he was mentally unstable.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #91 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Why can't you see that what you're saying is bullshit? This idea is a fabrication made out of whole cloth. You have taken an actual crime (e.g., assault or murder of a single person) and expanded it to be assault against many people by divination of someone thoughts and feelings.

So you don't think terrorism is a crime beyond murder or vandalism, then?
post #92 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Long read...but this guy pretty much sounds like he was mentally unstable.

He was angry and felt like violence was an acceptable outlet. But yes, he was mentally sick.

More info here- http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...message?page=1
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #93 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

So you don't think terrorism is a crime beyond murder or vandalism*, then?

I would say it isn't. And, in fact, look what's happened when we've chosen to use such a broad and ill-defined term such as "terrorism"...it turns out that almost anything can be "terrorism" and almost anyone can be a "terrorist"...or potentially be supporting or encouraging "terrorism." These are far more political terms than they are legal terms of any value.

*Probably more broadly than "vandalism"..."destruction of property." But, basically, yes.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #94 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

He was angry and felt like violence was an acceptable outlet. But yes, he was mentally sick.

More info here- http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...message?page=1

So here's the interesting thing now: As more comes out, it sounds like we have a mentally ill person with a personal and specific grudge against a specific individual (Giffords). How does this fit into the reasoning behind the special treatment of "attempting to kill a member of Congress" which, I'm told, is based on the same concept as hate crime laws in which the crime is not simply attempted murder or assault but assault against person of a certain group with the specific intent of intimidating the larger group (in this case Congressional members)?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #95 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

So here's the interesting thing now: As more comes out, it sounds like we have a mentally ill person with a personal and specific grudge against a specific individual (Giffords). How does this fit into the reasoning behind the special treatment of "attempting to kill a member of Congress" which, I'm told, is based on the same concept as hate crime laws in which the crime is not simply attempted murder or assault but assault against person of a certain group with the specific intent of intimidating the larger group (in this case Congressional members)?

I don't know the laws regarding this but he may have hated Gifford but he hated those with her views too and she represents them (and others). You might want to take this argument to BR and FineTunes who you discussed it with earlier for a more in-depth reply.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #96 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I don't know the laws regarding this but he may have hated Gifford but he hated those with her views too and she represents them (and others). You might want to take this argument to BR and FineTunes who you discussed it with earlier for a more in-depth reply.

Sorry. I wasn't specifically asking you. The question was targeted more broadly.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #97 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

that's Palin's map, you dunce.

They've taken it down, I believe. It was reported by multiple outlets yesterday.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #98 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

They've taken it down, I believe. It was reported by multiple outlets yesterday.

Palins Death Map is still up- http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=373854973434

Someone should put their gun sights on her maybe, but that would be just as wrong, but then she'd know how it feels like Gifford expressed on national tv.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #99 of 286
Some people only see evil...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #100 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Reading that description was like reading a description of A cross between SammiJo and Segovious. Not that they would do such a thing, but...

I would have thought you'd know better than to joke about people in that way. If you're being serious I think you should seriously consider whether you should continue posting here.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #101 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

They've taken it down, I believe. It was reported by multiple outlets yesterday.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...ric/?page=full
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #102 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I would have thought you'd know better than to joke about people in that way. If you're being serious I think you should seriously consider whether you should continue posting here.

Really Hands? I already said, they would not do such a thing. did you even read the description of what the guy said and believed? There were so many direct parallels. It was an example of that kind of view gone horribly wrong. To me it shows that it does not matter if you are left or right wing, if you become unhinged you can do horrible things. There was no offense intended to either poster.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #103 of 286
Thread Starter 

That doesn't say anywhere that she's taken it down, because she hasn't. It's a disgrace.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #104 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Really Hands? I already said, they would not do such a thing. did you even read the description of what the guy said and believed? There were so many direct parallels. It was an example of that kind of view gone horribly wrong. To me it shows that it does not matter if you are left or right wing, if you become unhinged you can do horrible things. There was no offense intended to either poster.

I had read it and think it's appalling to describe their views as a cross between someone who has just murdered a bunch of people. Think about it.

Jazzguru has just dramatically posted a thread about quitting here and the distress it was causing him and hasnt been heard of since. He loved jazz, as did the killer. He lived in Arizona and held somewhat paranoid views including about language control and government conspiracies, as did the killer. I would not dream though of comparing him to the killer. I have written this only to show you that just because we can draw conclusions it is wrong to directly compare someone to a murderer. It is bound to be an insult, and even if some people don't take it as one, a lot of people would be appalled and angered by such a comparison and therefore common sense should dictate that you use caution.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #105 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I would have thought you'd know better than to joke about people in that way. If you're being serious I think you should seriously consider whether you should continue posting here.

We can agree on this.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #106 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That doesn't say anywhere that she's taken it down, because she hasn't. It's a disgrace.

No, I'm talking about the Kos map. It was very similar. Both maps are completely fine. Tying them to this is absurd.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #107 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Most such violent assassins are mentally and emotionally disturbed.

The 911 hijackers were undoubtedly emotionally and mentally disturbed as are all suicide bombers by definition.

Are you going to apply the same excuse to them?

The one thing I think the US needs to look at though is this: the CULTURE which is the milieu these type of killings occur in.

It's not a question of Left/Right or Palin or anyone else. It is a culture endemic in the US where violent rhetoric and extremist language is the norm and is seen as acceptable. If you get disturbed individuals within such a culture - as you must - and if they feel 'justified' then this will continue to happen.

And it will happen again.

The question is not anything to do with politics. It is a human/societal issue and one which has particular roots in US culture.

Right, it's just the US culture. European socialists are far more civilized.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5563020.ece
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #108 of 286
The Left has been waiting for something like this. It provides a perfect excuse to further restrict liberties and destroy talk radio. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...e-free-speech/
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #109 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I had read it and think it's appalling to describe their views as a cross between someone who has just murdered a bunch of people. Think about it.

Jazzguru has just dramatically posted a thread about quitting here and the distress it was causing him and hasnt been heard of since. He loved jazz, as did the killer. He lived in Arizona and held somewhat paranoid views including about language control and government conspiracies, as did the killer. I would not dream though of comparing him to the killer. I have written this only to show you that just because we can draw conclusions it is wrong to directly compare someone to a murderer. It is bound to be an insult, and even if some people don't take it as one, a lot of people would be appalled and angered by such a comparison and therefore common sense should dictate that you use caution.

You are really stretching. But I have edited my post anyhow as it did offend people here in ways I had not anticipated. Those on this forum draw lines to Nazi's, Genocide, Hitler, Stalin, Terrorists and more, and their lines are direct saying that somehow those other posters are not just alike in political spectrum but that they are just biding their time until they can enact hose horrible agendas. And none of them have been asked to stop posting here and are given a pass or simply told to grow up. My post was explained for what was intended but as I said, some people only want to see evil. Apologies if the post offended, I have removed it.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #110 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

We can agree on this.

Do you really think that is what I meant?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #111 of 286
Oh, look, more on Daily Kos:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=249273

Quote:
One of the blog's diary writers, identifying himself as BoyBlue, had written a post only two days before the shooting titled "My CongressWOMAN voted against Nancy Pelosi! And is now DEAD to me!"

Right wring rhetoric, indeed.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #112 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That doesn't say anywhere that she's taken it down, because she hasn't. It's a disgrace.

It was not intended to show anything was taken down, it was one of those many articles that was mentioned but never posted in relation to the DailyKos portion of the topic. I had hoped that was obvious enough and would help the topic along. It does not seem that common ground it what is being looked for, only divisiveness and anger. That article had a very balanced view that showed both sides of the issue and looked towards a better undersanding of what really happened from what i was reading.


I am through with this thread. I knew I should have never posted in it to begin with, this and other responses just proves my instincts were correct.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #113 of 286

You really see no difference between saying "putting a bullseye on a district" and actual crosshairs to go along with rhetoric from Palin's disciples calling for "second-amendment" solutions and Gifford's opponent having machine gun shooting rallies? All that without a hint of disapproval from Palin herself?

Give me a fucking break. Stop pretending that the two are anywhere near equivalent.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #114 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You really see no difference between saying "putting a bullseye on a district" and actual crosshairs to go along with rhetoric from Palin's disciples calling for "second-amendment" solutions and Gifford's opponent having machine gun shooting rallies? All that without a hint of disapproval from Palin herself?

Give me a fucking break. Stop pretending that the two are anywhere near equivalent.

Not what I said, read my follow on. I have said all i care to at this point otherwise.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #115 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You really see no difference between saying "putting a bullseye on a district" and actual crosshairs to go along with rhetoric from Palin's disciples calling for "second-amendment" solutions and Gifford's opponent having machine gun shooting rallies? All that without a hint of disapproval from Palin herself?

Give me a fucking break. Stop pretending that the two are anywhere near equivalent.

Did you start a thread when all this shit was going on?

http://www.zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/













Oh right you're an utter hypocrite. Your objections change based on the politics to be exploited.
post #116 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

If context mattered to you, you would admit that NONE of those things you mention above has any relation to the tragic shooting of congresswoman Giffords, by the suspect in custody, Jared Lee Loughner.

The suspect is an atheistic liberal himself, and all indications are that he has no affiliation with conservative groups or causes. He does not cite Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck as role models, and his motivations for this heinous act does not appear to conform to any conservative or even far-right agenda.

The context here, is that a disturbed and probably mentally deranged person shot a number of innocent people (including a nine-year-old girl) for reasons that were only clear in his own head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Use incredibly violent rhetoric and imagery in your campaigns and when something violent happens to one of the targets of the rhetoric, you can expect some finger wagging, even if the crime was unrelated. Jared Loughner may not have been motivated by Palin, but there's nothing wrong with his act being a catalyst to stop this increasingly violent rhetoric coming almost solely from one side of the political spectrum.

Well it took almost to page three, but at least one of you has now acknowledged that the shooting has nothing to do with Palin, or any of the "rhetoric" from the conservative side.

Liberals saw the attempted murder of a Blue Dog Democrat first and foremost as a political opportunity, and immediately set about using the tragedy to implement a pre-conceived agenda to demonize political candidates and restrict the political speech of their opponents.

This is why America is a centre-right country. It's not about tax cuts, or whether Republicans have all the right answers. Ordinary Americans just look at the despicable actions of the liberal elite, and decide that they simply don't wish to be in league with such people.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #117 of 286
America is centre-right because <insert reason with no evidence that meshes with my twisted conservative point of view>.

Makes perfect sense.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #118 of 286
It's called an opinion, which conservatives can still freely express...until liberals get their way.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #119 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Use incredibly violent rhetoric and imagery in your campaigns and when something violent happens to one of the targets of the rhetoric, you can expect some finger wagging, even if the crime was unrelated. Jared Loughner may not have been motivated by Palin, but there's nothing wrong with his act being a catalyst to stop this increasingly violent rhetoric coming almost solely from one side of the political spectrum.

Here are some quotes from Obama.
**Obama: They Bring a KnifeWe Bring a Gun
** Obama to His Followers: Get in Their Faces!
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: I dont want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! Im angry!
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: Hit Back Twice As Hard
** Obama on the private sector: We talk to these folks so I know whose ass to kick.
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean hand to hand combat
** Obama to lib supporters: Its time to Fight for it.
** Obama to Latino supporters: Punish your enemies.
** Obama to democrats: Im itching for a fight.

And if you really want to see the dems version of the bullseye map, do a search on Democratic Leadership Council 2004. You'll find it.

So sad that people use a tragedy to further polarize legitimate political beliefs. Heart and prayers to those that died and those forever traumatized by Saturday's event.
post #120 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You really see no difference between saying "putting a bullseye on a district" and actual crosshairs to go along with rhetoric from Palin's disciples calling for "second-amendment" solutions and Gifford's opponent having machine gun shooting rallies? All that without a hint of disapproval from Palin herself?

Give me a fucking break. Stop pretending that the two are anywhere near equivalent.

The quote you are referencing is out of context.

Quote:
You know, our Founding Fathers, they put that Second Amendment in there for a good reason and that was for the people to protect themselves against a tyrannical government. And in fact Thomas Jefferson said it's good for a country to have a revolution every 20 years.

I hope that's not where we're going, but, you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Gifford shooting