or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone to use existing plans, similar to AT&T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon iPhone to use existing plans, similar to AT&T - Page 2

post #41 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I expected lower prices at Verizon....after all you are getting less:

-slower speed
-no concurrent data and voice access (I can't use my GPS while I talk!)
-no international coverage
-no rollover minutes
-no free visual voicemail
-no free wifi

You will not see lower plan prices in the US until Sprint and/or T-Mobile get the iPhone.
post #42 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jesus Christ! Its not your fraking product. They have a right to sell it how they wish providing they arent breaking any laws. You either agree it, dont agree to it and find a way around it (which has been brought to your attention), or you move on. There are no other options so stop feeling damn entitled.

Ah, so as long as it's not illegal, anyone can do whatever they want and not even bother trying to offer alternatives.

If that was the case, we'd have the MacBook and the iMac. That's good enough for everyone.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #43 of 182
So let me get this straight, if you set up gmail as Exchange on a Verizon iPhone, they'll slug you fifteen bucks a month for it.

I wonder if Verizon's relationship with Google in the US is what stops us from setting up Android phones with Gmail as an exchange account, even when I copy the settings directly from my iPhone.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #44 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

How do you use that much data on 3G? What apps? And how has ATT not put a stop to it? Frankly, as a fellow ATT user, I wish they would. You're taking far more than your fair share and the rest of us are paying for it with higher prices.

MyWi tethering, Netflix Hulu, and Comedy Central streaming, some tormenting of shows that air in the UK, and everything else I use my Mac for.

I pay for Unlimited data so I am using my fair share. What I dont pay for per my contract is tethering to utilize that data. This is a violation of my contract just as you did with your MyWi usage. I take full responsibility for my actions and if they throttle or cancel my account I wont be mad or upset or take some entitlement stance. Im exploiting them and will continue to do so as long as I can.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

How do you use that much data on 3G? What apps? And how has ATT not put a stop to it? Frankly, as a fellow ATT user, I wish they would. You're taking far more than your fair share and the rest of us are paying for it with higher prices.

Ah... here's a brainstorm - if Verizon keeps the unlimited plan, ATT announces that with 30 days notice, and no ETF, it is cancelling the grandfathered unlimited data plans. Anyone who objects to this material change of terms will be allowed out of their contract without penalty.

All the abusers jump ship to Verizon and the other 99.5% of us rejoice and stay on ATT, which sees performance jump as those 0.5% of users who take up 50% of bandwidth go away
post #46 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MyWi tethering, Netflix Hulu, and Comedy Central streaming, some tormenting of shows that air in the UK, and everything else I use my Mac for.

I pay for Unlimited data so I am using my fair share. What I dont pay for per my contract is tethering to utilize that data. This is a violation of my contract just as you did with your MyWi usage. I take full responsibility for my actions and if they throttle or cancel my account I wont be mad or upset or take some entitlement stance. Im exploiting them and will continue to do so as long as I can.

You're also exploiting every other ATT user.
post #47 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so as long as it's not illegal, anyone can do whatever they want and not even bother trying to offer alternatives.

Dont be an ass. If you dont like the law work around it or change it, but dont act as if its a personal insult to you because they subsidize their product with the intent of making money on the data plans.

Youve been informed several times how to use an iPhone without a data plan but you keep telling the poster they are lying. So really, either listen to the advice given or stop bitching about it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #48 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

40GB to 100GB month.

You're one of the ones that ruined it for the rest of us!
post #49 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Ah... here's a brainstorm - if Verizon keeps the unlimited plan, ATT announces that with 30 days notice, and no ETF, it is cancelling the grandfathered unlimited data plans. Anyone who objects to this material change of terms will be allowed out of their contract without penalty.

All the abusers jump ship to Verizon and the other 99.5% of us rejoice and stay on ATT, which sees performance jump as those 0.5% of users who take up 50% of bandwidth go away

Ive thought of that and posted pretty much that exact scenario in an AI thread last week. The only unknown is how important the Unlimited plan is to users. As its been noted, most like the peace of mind of the unlimited plan despite knowledge that they didnt even come close to using cheaper 2GB. They have to weigh the options of potentially losing those customers too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I expected lower prices at Verizon....after all you are getting less:

-slower speed
-no concurrent data and voice access (I can't use my GPS while I talk!)
-no international coverage
-no rollover minutes
-no free visual voicemail
-no free wifi

Yeah, no dropped calls either. AT&T gives me tons of those for free.
post #51 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ive thought of that and posted pretty much that exact scenario in an AI thread last week. The only unknown is how important the Unlimited plan is to users. As its been noted, most like the peace of mind of the unlimited plan despite knowledge that they didnt even come close to using cheaper 2GB. They have to weigh the options of potentially losing those customers too.

ATT makes it very easy to tell how much data you've used, though. Any normal user, who is not a tech enthusiast (which is probably 90% of users) will look at that chart and say "I never go over 400 MB! I'm saving that $5!
post #52 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

ATT makes it very easy to tell how much data you've used, though. Any normal user, who is not a tech enthusiast (which is probably 90% of users) will look at that chart and say "I never go over 400 MB! I'm saving that $5!

Peace of mind is a powerful selling point. Were talking about $10 per GB for overage fees or an extra $5 per month. I seem to recall a huge number of internet-savvy, technology-hip AT&T iPhone users crying about the end of the unlimited plan even though most used well under 2GB and they were able to continue their unlimited plan.

With these devices becoming more useful, internet speeds becoming faster, and more and more to do on the internet its possible 2GB+ for normal usage wont be too far away. I wonder what the data usage averages are per year since the iPhone first hit. I bet its increased dramatically.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #53 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Peace of mind is a powerful selling point. Were talking about $10 per GB for overage fees or an extra $5 per month. I seem to recall a huge number of internet-savvy, technology-hip AT&T iPhone users crying about the end of the unlimited plan even though most used well under 2GB and they were able to continue their unlimited plan.

With these devices becoming more useful, internet speeds becoming faster, and more and more to do on the internet its possible 2GB+ for normal usage wont be too far away. I wonder what the data usage averages are per year since the iPhone first hit. I bet its increased dramatically.

I help a lot of people make their technology decisions. Not a single one has hesitated to switch back to the 2 GB data plan once I showed them that they never once went over even 1 GB, which is how most users behave. Just using web, email, GPS and normal apps, like almost everyone does, it's nearly impossible to use 1 GB, much less two.

As you well know, even from this very thread with the whiner complaining about the lack of PayGo plans, one cannot gauge true widespread sentiment from message board traffic. The populations are not comparable.
post #54 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dont be an ass. If you dont like the law work around it or change it, but dont act as if its a personal insult to you because they subsidize their product with the intent of making money on the data plans.

And what, pray tell, would possibly make you think this nonsense?

Quote:
Youve been informed several times how to use an iPhone without a data plan but you keep telling the poster they are lying. So really, either listen to the advice given or stop bitching about it.

It can't be done legitimately or with any guarantee of success. That's hardly advice of any sort.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #55 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

40GB to 100GB month.

AT&T would LOVE for you to go over to Verizon. AT&T wants all the people who use less than 1 gb but who pay for 2gb or unlimmited, and they want all the heavy users to go to the competition, and bury their networks for a change.
post #56 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Obviously if we just lie down and take it, it won't happen. The iPhone 2G doesn't require data; why should I have to have it for anything else?

You can unlock your phone, or if you are a wus, you can buy an unlocked phone in another country, like Canada, and then you can either put in a sim from a voice only plan or you can get a prepaid gophone sim.
post #57 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Are there any other iPhone carriers who do not support Visual Voicemail as a standard feature of the iPhone service plan?

Orange UK don't offer it at all, paid or otherwise.
post #58 of 182
I still remember the smug remarks from AT&T chair about our customers will never leave, they are locked in. The end is coming, competition hopefully will humble them.
post #59 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

You can unlock your phone, or if you are a wus, you can buy an unlocked phone in another country, like Canada, and then you can either put in a sim from a voice only plan or you can get a prepaid gophone sim.

You're not reading any of my posts. You can't have any reasonable expectation of being able to use an iPhone on AT&T without data unless you have an iPhone 2G. There is no AT&T or T-Mobile service where I live, leaving only Verizon.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #60 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Orange UK don't offer it at all, paid or otherwise.

So, Visual Voicemail not included as a standard feature on Verizon is not a complete stretch. 3 bucks/mo to add this feature and the lack of concurrent voice and data would keep me on ATT unless ATT has poor coverage.
post #61 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're not reading any of my posts. You can't have any reasonable expectation of being able to use an iPhone on AT&T without data unless you have an iPhone 2G. There is no AT&T or T-Mobile service where I live, leaving only Verizon.

Really? Go back and read my post. I have an iPhone 3G on AT&T with a gophone prepaid sim. I know someone with a factory unlocked iPhone 4 (acquired overseas) on AT&T with a prepaid sim and no data. No, you can not get a new iPhone 4 at a subsidized price without paying for the data plan, but there are PERFECTLY REASONABLE ways to get an iPhone on AT&T without data if you are willing to pay for the phone yourself.
post #62 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mji View Post

I'm pretty sure that's misleading... I don't think they actually charge $15 to use your own exchange server (I believe its just for verizon's hosted servers). AT&T has the same $15 fee for corporate accounts, which no one actually pays.

ATT IPhones also are $45/month for Data on Corporate Accts for Exchange so if Verizon charges it this will be no different. And yes, companies do pay it.
post #63 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I still remember the smug remarks from AT&T chair about our customers will never leave, they are locked in. The end is coming, competition hopefully will humble them.

I don't think they are too worried. Verizon's predatory pricing, slower 3G network, no talk and surf, and the early termination fees should limit the size of any exodus beyond the areas where AT&T's netwrok is over burdened. In those places they would be happy to see some people leave so no big deal. Sure a couple of million people may switch carriers, but that happens every year anyway.
post #64 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I still remember the smug remarks from AT&T chair about our customers will never leave, they are locked in. The end is coming, competition hopefully will humble them.

You're not dumb enough to think that Verizon executives don't say the same thing, just behind closed doors, right? If you really are willing to take a stand against a company when their execs say in public what everyone says behind closed doors, I think you're looking at life the wrong way.
post #65 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

ATT IPhones also are $45/month for Data on Corporate Accts for Exchange so if Verizon charges it this will be no different. And yes, companies do pay it.

The difference is if you have a personal phone you can connect to your corporate email with no additional fees with an AT&T iPhone (only a fee for a black berry). Verizon may or may not allow this but if history is a guide they will try to charge you.

Also FWIW, my company just looked into switching from individual plans to a corporate plan, and AT&T's offer did not include any corporate email surcharge on the iPhone, or the blackberry or for that matter any phone. Corporate plans are negotiable, and only stupid companies pay more than they would for individual contracts. If you are paying the extra $15, you are most likely getting a break somewhere else, like pooled minutes and lower voice charges that make it more than worthwhile. Or your IT guys suck at negotiating.
post #66 of 182
my thoughts att has a list of all iphone owners that have or soon will have contract ended
mine ended over a year ago, i'm on a 3g iphone

so i would think att to keep these for another 2 years would have some kind of enticement to match or undercut vz

what incentive to go to vz
what incentive to stay att
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #67 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Thus was hoping for something a little more agressive from Verizon. The details might cause me to switch.

What details? Well how about FaceTime support over the cell link. If tethering is supported as a pay as you go, when you need it, feature that would be nice two. There are other considerations but the key is will it be as cheap as AT$T.

By the way AT&T has been very good for me so Verizon needs a really have a strong offering to get me to switch.

My battery is dying terribly too
post #68 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I don't think they are too worried. Verizon's predatory pricing, slower 3G network, no talk and surf, and the early termination fees should limit the size of any exodus beyond the areas where AT&T's netwrok is over burdened. In those places they would be happy to see some people leave so no big deal. Sure a couple of million people may switch carriers, but that happens every year anyway.

We cant rule out Verizon announcing simultaneous voice and data. As i see it Verizon wanted Apple more than Apple wanted Verizon. That could mean Apple agreed to certain things if Verizon agreed to other things. Id think one thing Apple would want is to keep their flagship product working the same across carriers. Since the only difference to the customer should be the carrier, not the HW inside, I think that is a feasible suggestion though it may not be a feasible one to implement.

Qualcomm has QChat which will I think allows for VoIP services on EV-DO Rev. A*. While Sprint had exclusive rights to it years ago the more current news Ive read was that Qualcomm was working with unknown partners to expand its use. That could very well mean Apple and Verizon.


* That is samabs bat signal, im sure hell have more to add/fix soon enough as my knowledge of this Qualcomm tech is limited in scope.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #69 of 182
Austria: 1000 minutes + 1000 SMS = 8.8 euros a month (here).

That's less than 12 dolars a month.

Just sayin'.
post #70 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You'd give up simultaneous data and voice for 2GB+ data? How much data do you actually use? Remember even with ATT, you can go over 2 GB - you get 4GB for $50. I found that only one month did I go over even 1 GB of data use, and that was a month when I used my iphone sim card to create a MyWi network on my JB old iphone because I was stuck in a hotel without wifi and needed internet. Even including that 5GB+ month, I still averaged less than 1.5 GB per month this year.

We don't yet know that anyone will have to give up voice/data. We've discussed this a bunch of times already. The new CDMA standard for simultaneous D/V was approved early last year. There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it. In fact, from people in the industry I know, it's called "The iPhone Rule".
post #71 of 182
Wow, hard to believe that multi-tasking is going to be a NO-NO with Verizon. Unless they've figured out some new work around.
Still there's plenty of people out there that will buy the Verizon Iphone regardless.

So its a catch 22............
ATT = Poor service + dropped calls

Verizon = no multitasking or Rollover minutes

which is worse??????????????????????
post #72 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We don't yet know that anyone will have to give up voice/data. We've discussed this a bunch of times already. The new CDMA standard for simultaneous D/V was approved early last year. There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it. In fact, from people in the industry I know, it's called "The iPhone Rule".

I can’t find any confirmation they were going to implement it. The news seems to have dried up on just as the news from Verizon pooh poohing the iPhone has dried up. I guess that’s a good sign when it comes to anything Apple related.


PS: if this does happen then phones without simultaneous voice and data will have longer talk times than the iPhone on Verizon when ‘3G’ is turned on due to the nature of how CDMA is used for voice and EV-DO would be unusable. While I think this is more than acceptable I hope reviewers note why the iPhone’s ‘3G’ talk time isn’t pushing 12 hours. I wonder if this will be an option in the phone so the user can choose which method works best for them as I assume CDMA for voice will still be a fallback method.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #73 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We don't yet know that anyone will have to give up voice/data. We've discussed this a bunch of times already. The new CDMA standard for simultaneous D/V was approved early last year. There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it. In fact, from people in the industry I know, it's called "The iPhone Rule".

What what what?

There's NO REASON? How about the fact that such a thing hasn't yet existed? Do you think Verizon has this awesome new feature that could benefit all of their smartphone users and they've been keeping it a secret?

Sorry, anything's possible, but the fact that it defies logic AND it hasn't yet ever been done is good enough reason to believe they haven't implemented it.

This guy I know from down the street calls that "The Common Sense Rule"
post #74 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about without data, hmm? I have zero use for it.

how about just getting an iPod Touch..
post #75 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ive seen Apple replace devices with failing batteries long after they were out of the standard warranty. No harm in giving it a shot since a faulty battery could mean a defective battery which could mean a potential fire hazard.

bingo
great post dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

40GB to 100GB month.

IF VERIZON uses some of apples server farm juice
then high load cheap data plans can be had for a great price .
Streaming fios all day will be
the cat's meow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

How do you use that much data on 3G? What apps? And how has ATT not put a stop to it? Frankly, as a fellow ATT user, I wish they would. You're taking far more than your fair share and the rest of us are paying for it with higher prices.

THIS WILL BE A WAR !!!!!!!!!!


0
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #76 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I cant find any confirmation they were going to implement it. The news seems to have dried up on just as the news from Verizon pooh poohing the iPhone has dried up. I guess thats a good sign when it comes to anything Apple related.


PS: if this does happen then phones without simultaneous voice and data will have longer talk times than the iPhone on Verizon when 3G is turned on due to the nature of how CDMA is used for voice and EV-DO would be unusable. While I think this is more than acceptable I hope reviewers note why the iPhones 3G talk time isnt pushing 12 hours. I wonder if this will be an option in the phone so the user can choose which method works best for them as I assume CDMA for voice will still be a fallback method.

We don't know means exactly that. Why should word have come out? If it did it would have indicated the iPhone, and that's been held a secret until a short while ago.
post #77 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What what what?

There's NO REASON? How about the fact that such a thing hasn't yet existed? Do you think Verizon has this awesome new feature that could benefit all of their smartphone users and they've been keeping it a secret?

Sorry, anything's possible, but the fact that it defies logic AND it hasn't yet ever been done is good enough reason to believe they haven't implemented it.

This guy I know from down the street calls that "The Common Sense Rule"

What are you talking about? What do you know? Nothing, you know nothing. Anything could have happened, and we wouldn't know about it until we were told. You think only Apple can keep secrets?
post #78 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What are you talking about? What do you know? Nothing, you know nothing. Anything could have happened, and we wouldn't know about it until we were told. You think only Apple can keep secrets?

I know the current reality. I said, very specifically, than anything can happen. But you said "There's no reason to believe Verizon hasn't implemented it" which is simply not true. The best reason to believe that they haven't implemented it is because it's not something they would hide from the public. They would tout it, and they haven't. Jesus.
post #79 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We don't know means exactly that. Why should word have come out? If it did it would have indicated the iPhone, and that's been held a secret until a short while ago.

Why? Is the iPhone suddenly the only phone where it would be nice to have simultaneous data and voice. Your logic, well, defies logic.
post #80 of 182
tuesday we will know
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone to use existing plans, similar to AT&T