or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane' - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestall View Post

What ATT fails to point out is this is the speed of their 3g network; which has very poor coverage. So yes; if you are lucky enough to be in an ATT3G cell; they are faster. But for the average American; they spend most of their time on ATT's VERY slow EDGE network.

And of course ; ATT is about a year behind verizon in starting their next generation network rollout. Its funny to read ATT saying they will start 4G this summer; when they have only completed about 40% of their 3G network so far.

Define "average American", I thought most American's lived in urban areas where the coverage is.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

As far as I'm concerned, until I see/hear it come out of Steve Jobs' mouth, it isn't going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Verizon will be the one to announce their version of the iPhone, because everyone knows how controlling Apple/Steve Jobs are. I'm not saying that in a bad way, but Apple doesn't let AT&T announce shit for the iPhone even now, and the WSJ thinks Verizon is going to be the one to announce it? Please.

Also, iPhone 5 should be announced in a month or two, by Apple's own Keynote. Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Good luck with that. I said good-riddance to Verizon three years ago for the 3G after years of shitty service. If as many people as predicted actually flock over to Verizon, it'll free up AT&T data/service for those of us who stay. I wouldn't go back to Verizon if you paid me.

I'm waiting for Apple's announcement with a new iPhone for both carriers. On Apple's terms.

We'll have to say it here in this thread as well. Apple or Steve Jobs didn't have to announce the iPhone for every single carrier that has it. There are many reasons why Verizon would do it instead of Apple.
post #83 of 123
Quote:
"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA iPhone," he said. "I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."



hah! there you go, the pot calling the kettle black.

PS: ATT's 3G speed has been declining since middle of last year in the 19147 zip code. if it was not speed then it is either reception or no reception. it was not like this before.
post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Depends where the are I guess. In NYC or SF, yeah I can argue that maybe verizon will be faster. Here in Houston? I'll gladly stay with my average 3.5 down and 1.2 up.

Not necessarily. I was able to pull down faster speeds both directions in both cities when comparing it to VZW using my iPhone 4 and someone's Droid.

And I was down in So. Cal last month where HSPA (HSPA+) has been deployed for awhile and I was blown away getting 6Mbps down and close to 1.7Mbps up all with a ping time less than 100ms. I've seen VZW top out at 800Kbps on the down side. So yeah, I'm with you. I'm keeping my faster network.
post #85 of 123
Why do any of you care? Nobody is asking you to leave ATT. There are many people on VZ that know the networks limitations but still want an iPhone, what wrong with that? Stop arguing about things you have absolutely no control over
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 123
"Life in the slow lane?" lol, wow. With the most dropped calls and the worst customer service in the nation, you have a lot of fukn nerve, AT&T.

I believe Jon Stewart said it best at the 7:08 mark:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...-2010/appholes

If Verizon can pull off the iPhone, I'm gone.
post #87 of 123
Gruber spelled out the many reasons you're probably wrong.

http://daringfireball.net/2011/01/verizon_event

Bottom line is...

(1) It's not a new product and doesn't deserve the normal Apple Fanfare
(2) Since Verizon will be bashing AT&T, Apple can't be a part of that since it has to remain carrier-neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

As far as I'm concerned, until I see/hear it come out of Steve Jobs' mouth, it isn't going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Verizon will be the one to announce their version of the iPhone, because everyone knows how controlling Apple/Steve Jobs are. I'm not saying that in a bad way, but Apple doesn't let AT&T announce shit for the iPhone even now, and the WSJ thinks Verizon is going to be the one to announce it? Please.

Also, iPhone 5 should be announced in a month or two, by Apple's own Keynote. Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Good luck with that. I said good-riddance to Verizon three years ago for the 3G after years of shitty service. If as many people as predicted actually flock over to Verizon, it'll free up AT&T data/service for those of us who stay. I wouldn't go back to Verizon if you paid me.

I'm waiting for Apple's announcement with a new iPhone for both carriers. On Apple's terms.
post #88 of 123
AT&T still operates as if they live in the last century ... and this statement is proof of that.
post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

AT&T still operates as if they live in the last century ... and this statement is proof of that.

mm.. last time I checked, GSM is still the world standard. Only Verizon (or Americans) and North Korea like to use CDMA
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowotoe View Post

mm.. last time I checked, GSM is still the world standard. Only Verizon (or Americans) and North Korea like to use CDMA

And China. And Japan. And Canada. Please don't embarrass yourself. North Korea doesn't use it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Depends where the are I guess. In NYC or SF, yeah I can argue that maybe verizon will be faster. Here in Houston? I'll gladly stay with my average 3.5 down and 1.2 up.

Agreed. AT&T has been very serviceable for me in Houston. But I occasionally do envy the 4G speed on my Brother-in-law's EVO.
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And China. And Japan. And Canada. Please don't embarrass yourself. North Korea doesn't use it.

1) That doesnt mean GSM-based networks arent a world standard. It is.

2) GSM-based networks are bigger in each of the countries you mention.

3) Your silly list only reflects countries that have CDMA, it does not reflect the actual networks. For instance, all of S. Koreas carriers are CDMA yet the iPhone has been in S. Korea for over a year. S. Korea was smart enough to move from CDMA 2G to UMTS for 3G which makes your list pointless.

4) Do you feel embarrassed?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Agreed. AT&T has been very serviceable for me in Houston. But I occasionally do envy the 4G speed on my Brother-in-law's EVO.

What "4G" speeds are those? I believe Sprint says users should expect to see 3-6Mbps download but IRL most users are getting 2-4, correct? Those are the same as the "3G" speeds on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) That doesnt mean GSM-based networks arent a world standard. It is.

2) GSM-based networks are bigger in each of the countries you mention.

3) Your silly list only reflects countries that have CDMA, it does not reflect the actual networks. For instance, all of S. Koreas carriers are CDMA yet the iPhone has been in S. Korea for over a year. S. Korea was smart enough to move from CDMA 2G to UMTS for 3G which makes your list pointless.

4) Do you feel embarrassed?

1. Of course.
2. Are they.
3. And?
4. Certainly not, I proved a point.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Gruber spelled out the many reasons you're probably wrong.

http://daringfireball.net/2011/01/verizon_event

Bottom line is...

(1) It's not a new product and doesn't deserve the normal Apple Fanfare
(2) Since Verizon will be bashing AT&T, Apple can't be a part of that since it has to remain carrier-neutral.

I'll quote myself back at you:

Quote:
Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Seriously. Why would Apple give Verizon an old phone? Why would they redesign (create CDMA version) of an old design? To keep them behind the times and still keep one carrier (AT&T) ahead of the other (Verizon)? Unlikely. Why would Verizon customers settle for last year's iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 will be announced for AT&T in probably a month's time? That's stupid.

That makes me believe that there WILL be a new product with Verizon, hence Apple's announcement of multiple carriers on their own. Of course there's never been fanfare in other countries with multiple carriers. Their big shebang is always in the US.

Also, who cares about the carriers bashing each other. Apple is able to announce iPhone 5 for both carriers and be "please to spread the wealth" without joining in the talking-of-the-shit.
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

What "4G" speeds are those? I believe Sprint says users should expect to see 3-6Mbps download but IRL most users are getting 2-4, correct? Those are the same as the "3G" speeds on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

yeah, his speed falls quickly with distance from the tower. And, he pays for it with a miserable battery life when compared to my 3GS. I can't complain about AT&T service within the Beltway. I've either lived in, or visited 9 US cities in the past 4 years and with the exceptions of San Francisco and Manhattan, I've not had consistent problems anywhere. Unless Verizon introduces some very compelling pricing, I plan on staying put.
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

...iPhone 5 will be announced for AT&T in probably a month's time.



A MONTH?! That's rich. Announced at WWDC, shipping a month or so after. At least, that's when it WOULD be coming out. Who's to say this Verizon announcement isn't just that, an announcement? It kills off all competing manufacturers on Verizon and shoots AT&T adopters in the foot.

Say the VeriPhone is iPhone 5, in June, at WWDC, CDMA/GSM on one chip, one phone, one model. Apple just rides the wave for the next six months. Bliss.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Seriously. Why would Apple give Verizon an old phone?

Its not an old phone, its a current phone. Youve also failed to realize that 10s of millions of people buy Apples products year round with little regard for suspected update cycles.

Quote:
Why would they redesign (create CDMA version) of an old design?

Again, not old but current. Also, I bet a CDMA version has been build along side the GSM version since before the iPhone was ever announced.

Quote:
To keep them behind the times and still keep one carrier (AT&T) ahead of the other (Verizon)?

AT&T isnt going to be ahead of Verizon gets the iPhone 4. They will be on par.

Quote:
Why would Verizon customers settle for last year's iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 will be announced for AT&T in probably a month's time?

That's stupid.
The iPhone has never been announced in February. Except for the initial iPhone announcement in January theyve all been announced and released around Summer. Saying otherwise without at least making a rationale argument for it is stupid.

Quote:
That makes me believe that there WILL be a new product with Verizon, hence Apple's announcement of multiple carriers on their own. Of course there's never been fanfare in other countries with multiple carriers. Their big shebang is always in the US.

The fact that Verizon is announcing it and not Apple means that there is no new HW or OS features to market. Its the reason why its not a new iPhone 5.

/QUOTE]Also, who cares about the carriers bashing each other. Apple is able to announce iPhone 5 for both carriers and be "please to spread the wealth" without joining in the talking-of-the-shit.[/QUOTE]
You acknowledged that Apple isnt announcing it, that Verizon. Youve also failed to give reason why a mid-cycle release of the iPhone 5 makes sense.


Why do you think Verizon would get the iPhone 5 mid-cycle and well before every other carrier in the world?

Why do you think Apple would let Verizon announce a brand new iPhone model?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

Again, anecdotal, not hard evidence.

I live about 40-45 minutes outside of Minneapolis, in a "city" with a population of less than 2000. My latest speed tests over the last month or so on my iPhone 4?

4.69 Down, 1.50 Up (about 30 seconds ago)
3.86 Down, 1.62 Up
2.33 Down, .90 Up
2.83 Down, .76 Up
3.08 Down, .80 Up

I suppose I must be sitting under a tower


I have an iPad 3G (AT&T) and a Droid (Verizon 3G) so I know very well what I am talking about. If you are withing a ten mile radius of Atlanta, AT&T is faster. Go out more than 10 miles in most directions and Verizon is the same or faster. Go out 20 miles and Verizon is usually significantly faster mainly due to the fact that AT&T has little 3G ( or it is badly degraded ) out that far.....
post #100 of 123
I wonder if Verizons network will crumble when it adds the iPhone. I mean they already have the DROID line up, and with the iphone on its network as well? Verizon better be ready to add a gazillion iPhones on its back just like AT&T did.

P.S. Enjoying my data speeds and service where I live. And I need my data&voice at the same time.
post #101 of 123
I'm sticking with AT&T. I've not had a single problem (except Treasure Island SF-which is somewhat under development-there aren't even utilities there yet! i.e. Power, water, cable, etc.) with connecting anywhere I have gone and I live in San Francisco. They let me go three months without paying my bill this past year, during a brief financial problem. Never turned off my service! And waived my late fees. I don't even have a fancy plan. Old (grandfathered to my Ip4) 3G plan with unlimited data. And I take the unlimited thing as being unlimited with a minimum of 7gigs of data a month.

I think online forums are very slanted - being that more negativity and shoes get thrown online cause when people are pissed they have nothing better to do than flame. Those satisfied, seem to be busy having fun and dont post nearly as much. I'm guilty of this on occasion. It's just the nature of forums which I believe many are customer based problem solving and revolve around community assistance. At least the technology themed forums.

As far as verizon goes-well everyone I know that has had them has gone on to other providers stating that verizon was gouging them to use hardware features already built into their phones i.e. WIFI, Bluetooth, etc. even restricting the Internet to verizon's mobel web. I'd hope it's not like that since android but if anything on the iphone is reduced in feature by verizon-well these blogs will fill to the gills with shoes piling sky high.

Now before everyone flames by my post. This is all just MY observations and experience. I respect everyone else as having their own experience. If you stay with AT&T or switch for a better experience - we still have something in common-NO NOT piles of shoes! IPHONES!!!

post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Old (grandfathered to my Ip4) 3G plan with unlimited data. And I take the unlimited thing as being unlimited with a minimum of 7gigs of data a month.

Watch out, they dont have to keep you on that unlimited plan if they dont want to. Hopefully the increased iPhone competition in the US will force them to keep it for the next iPhone model, but they can stop it at any time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Watch out, they dont have to keep you on that unlimited plan if they dont want to. Hopefully the increased iPhone competition in the US will force them to keep it for the next iPhone model, but they can stop it at any time.

I figured as much and when I bought my 3GS and ip4 I asked and was told. "no you can keep it" - "really", I ask. Response "of course Mr. Carswell, anything else I can help you with?" "actually could you gift me a few million dollars?", we both laugh after a long pause. End transmission.

What is a fast 3G connection by the way. I tested just now at 1552 kbps - iPhone 4 - san Francisco - Castro district - indoors - just curious cause I seem to always have a fast connection. Or is it that really slow? If so what do people want??

Just asking. Thanks
post #104 of 123
Quote:


Obviously, it must be an Apple event, because Verizon would have invited Gizmodo unless Apple was involved.

On the other hand, maybe Verizon wants to keep people thinking that it's an Apple announcement, so not inviting Gizmodo would be the logical thing to do, even if it's not an Apple announcement.

Then again, that's what people would be expecting. If it was truly an Apple event, and Apple didn't want that known, Apple would have insisted on inviting Gizmodo so people would think it is not an Apple event.

Or maybe over the years, they have built up a resistance to Gizmodo's requests for invitations

Saw this blog on another site, I freakin' fell out and had to share here with the AI crew.
post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I have an iPad 3G (AT&T) and a Droid (Verizon 3G) so I know very well what I am talking about. If you are withing a ten mile radius of Atlanta, AT&T is faster. Go out more than 10 miles in most directions and Verizon is the same or faster. Go out 20 miles and Verizon is usually significantly faster mainly due to the fact that AT&T has little 3G ( or it is badly degraded ) out that far.....

Again, anecdotal. I'm not saying you aren't correct but I gave you a location, distance from a major city and the state of my current location (population under 2000, can only be described as rural, 1/2 my subdivision travels on the weekends via snowmobiles this time of year) and then gave you the actual speeds... speeds Verizon's network isn't capable of, let alone would dream of delivering.

Not only that, this is in an area (Minnesota) where AT&T had a relatively late start compared to an area like Atlanta.

I would be interested to see what the actual hard data says in those areas that you are talking about. It's been at least 3 years since I've been to Atlanta.

EDIT: Also, you're anecdotal evidence would seem to be at odds with the GWS drive testing (950k miles, 88% of the population). I do find it hard to believe that 20 miles from Atlanta is rural enough to not have been included in some of that drive testing.
post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

Again, anecdotal. I'm not saying you aren't correct but I gave you a location, distance from a major city and the state of my current location (population under 2000, can only be described as rural, 1/2 my subdivision travels on the weekends via snowmobiles this time of year) and then gave you the actual speeds... speeds Verizon's network isn't capable of, let alone would dream of delivering.

Not only that, this is in an area (Minnesota) where AT&T had a relatively late start compared to an area like Atlanta.

I would be interested to see what the actual hard data says in those areas that you are talking about. It's been at least 3 years since I've been to Atlanta.

EDIT: Also, you're anecdotal evidence would seem to be at odds with the GWS drive testing (950k miles, 88% of the population). I do find it hard to believe that 20 miles from Atlanta is rural enough to not have been included in some of that drive testing.

I would not consider a side by side comparison in hundreds of locations to be anecdotal. It is just a fact. I travel all over north Georgia as part of my job. I actually use both devices all of the time at the same location. When you are on a minor interstate coverage is good with AT&T. Ten miles off th interstate in any direction is drops off fast.... More often than not, the Droid can download faster than the iPad when you are roughly ten miles or more out of Atlanta. Since the processor in the iPad is faster and it downloads slower, it is hard to reach ANY other conclusion.....

You can take it or leave it but that is what I see nearly every work day....
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

"Life in the slow lane?" lol, wow. With the most dropped calls and the worst customer service in the nation, you have a lot of fukn nerve, AT&T.

I believe Jon Stewart said it best at the 7:08 mark:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...-2010/appholes

If Verizon can pull off the iPhone, I'm gone.

Hahaha, you just reminded me of the whole reason again why Gizmodo isn't invited.

"You didn't have to go Minority Report on his ass!" Classic

Sometimes PR (more like everything) is secondary to secrecy.
post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I would not consider a side by side comparison in hundreds of locations to be anecdotal. It is just a fact. I travel all over north Georgia as part of my job. I actually use both devices all of the time at the same location. When you are on a minor interstate coverage is good with AT&T. Ten miles off th interstate in any direction is drops off fast.... More often than not, the Droid can download faster than the iPad when you are roughly ten miles or more out of Atlanta. Since the processor in the iPad is faster and it downloads slower, it is hard to reach ANY other conclusion.....

You can take it or leave it but that is what I see nearly every work day....

Funny... you pretty much nailed the exact definition of anecdotal.

anecdotal - based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.
post #109 of 123
Sorry, I forgot one thing...

Lawyered.
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

Funny... you pretty much nailed the exact definition of anecdotal.

anecdotal - based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

Not when the experiment is repeated several times and the conclusion isn't sweeping.
post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Define "average American", I thought most American's lived in urban areas where the coverage is.

You would think that; but two of the largest cities (New York and San Fran) is where ATT has the Worst coverage of all. They have simply done a poor job of planning their network. Undersized in big cities and 3g non existent in rural areas. They have earned their reputation for worst US network and worst CS by poor planning and poor execution.

ATT will have a terrible 2011. Loosing iphone monopoly (which is the only descent smartphone they carry) and way behind the curve starting their 4G effort.
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

Funny... you pretty much nailed the exact definition of anecdotal.

anecdotal - based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence.

It ceases to be anecdotal when enough test produce the same results... Repeatability is a key aspect of scientific study...
post #113 of 123
In fact, if you wanna break down someone's door, why not start with AT&T? For god sakes! They make your amazing PHONE unusable as a PHONE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Hahaha, you just reminded me of the whole reason again why Gizmodo isn't invited.

"You didn't have to go Minority Report on his ass!" Classic

Sometimes PR (more like everything) is secondary to secrecy.
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Not when the experiment is repeated several times and the conclusion isn't sweeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

It ceases to be anecdotal when enough test produce the same results... Repeatability is a key aspect of scientific study...

Wrong again... the "repeatability" of the "study" doesn't matter if it's a poor, non-scientific study in the first place. Similarly to your example, if I said that Verizon had no coverage anywhere in the United States, absolutely zero sq. feet of coverage, because the only time I turn my phone on when I'm in the basement of my office and there's no signal down there would that be true? Why not? I get the same result every time I try it.

First of all, you don't even know if the results are true, since you aren't measuring anything, you're just "perceiving". Second, there is no scientific method to your testing... you just go out where you go and happen to "test" when you test and see what results you think you're getting. Further, your "results" have absolutely nothing to do with the scientific truth as a whole because they are just that - your results culled from a very restrictive set of circumstances and locations (vs something like the GWS drive testing, for example).

Let's take one of your examples - "More often than not, the Droid can download faster than the iPad when you are roughly ten miles or more out of Atlanta. Since the processor in the iPad is faster and it downloads slower, it is hard to reach ANY other conclusion....."

Scientific Study Problems that pop up immediately - What site is being downloaded? Is it the same site on both devices at roughly the same time? (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt assuming you are running the original Moto Droid where your processor explanation is true... and I'm also just completely ignoring the estimation word "roughly").
post #115 of 123
I would rather be in the "slow lane" than stuck in the "fast lane" in a traffic jam. Who cares if their service is "faster" if you can never get get signal??? I'm switching to Verizon iPhone ASAP!
post #116 of 123
Everyone is contemplating iphone on Verizon.
Each have their pros and cons.
Here is my experience with all the cell carriers

Verizon: high quality - high price, ok customer service. When I go camping the Verizon guys have coverage when no one else does.

T-mobile: good quality - great customer service - decent pricing. Probably the best value combo out there. One up: 4g like network now.

AT&T: so so quality - below average customer service - high price. Probably the worst value combo out there. One up: Iphone

Sprint: Poor call and connect quality - worst customer service known to man. Decent data network. Low cost. Probably the "you get what you pay for provider out there. One up: lots of resellers like Virgin.

Gene Evangelist
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

Wrong again... the "repeatability" of the "study" doesn't matter if it's a poor, non-scientific study in the first place. Similarly to your example, if I said that Verizon had no coverage anywhere in the United States, absolutely zero sq. feet of coverage, because the only time I turn my phone on when I'm in the basement of my office and there's no signal down there would that be true? Why not? I get the same result every time I try it.

First of all, you don't even know if the results are true, since you aren't measuring anything, you're just "perceiving". Second, there is no scientific method to your testing... you just go out where you go and happen to "test" when you test and see what results you think you're getting. Further, your "results" have absolutely nothing to do with the scientific truth as a whole because they are just that - your results culled from a very restrictive set of circumstances and locations (vs something like the GWS drive testing, for example).

Let's take one of your examples - "More often than not, the Droid can download faster than the iPad when you are roughly ten miles or more out of Atlanta. Since the processor in the iPad is faster and it downloads slower, it is hard to reach ANY other conclusion....."

Scientific Study Problems that pop up immediately - What site is being downloaded? Is it the same site on both devices at roughly the same time? (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt assuming you are running the original Moto Droid where your processor explanation is true... and I'm also just completely ignoring the estimation word "roughly").

Dude, shut up already about anedoctal. You sound like a smart ass about it, and all the stupid details you are bringing up to prove your point is unnecessary; we've heard this bullshit all the time from people like you.

Perhaps the OP didn't want to post a 5 page post on his data that he did. You ever think that?

Notice how I also said "sweeping conclusion". It means that off the interstate in atlanta, you get faster access on verizon with a droid vs. an ipad. While it is assumed that he tries different sites each time at work, he also perhaps goes to the same sites a lot as well. But if he still does this repeatedly, he can draw that narrow conclusion for what he did.

He didn't try multiple devices, he didn't try an iphone, etc. But the conclusion, narrow as it is still stands.
post #118 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Dude, shut up already about anedoctal. You sound like a smart ass about it, and all the stupid details you are bringing up to prove your point is unnecessary; we've heard this bullshit all the time from people like you.

Perhaps the OP didn't want to post a 5 page post on his data that he did. You ever think that?

Notice how I also said "sweeping conclusion". It means that off the interstate in atlanta, you get faster access on verizon with a droid vs. an ipad. While it is assumed that he tries different sites each time at work, he also perhaps goes to the same sites a lot as well. But if he still does this repeatedly, he can draw that narrow conclusion for what he did.

He didn't try multiple devices, he didn't try an iphone, etc. But the conclusion, narrow as it is still stands.

I hope you're not counted on to make decisions or rational conclusions on a day to day basis.

And, yes, I may sound like a smart ass but that's because you are clearly wrong, clearly don't understand what a legit study is using the scientific method (6th grade), and clearly don't understand what anecdotal evidence is (although you clearly love using it).

If by "sweeping conclusion" you mean "narrow conclusion", then I guess you're right because you use both terms seemingly interchangeably although they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) GSM-based networks are bigger in each of the countries you mention.

You might want to do a bit more research on that one. GSM coverage is tiny in Canada compared to GSM. We have stretches of hundreds of square miles where there is no GSM whatsoever.
post #120 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

You might want to do a bit more research on that one. GSM coverage is tiny in Canada compared to GSM. We have stretches of hundreds of square miles where there is no GSM whatsoever.

Im sure there are thousands of square miles in Canada where there is no cell coverage at all. It looks to be mostly unpopulated.

It looks like Rogers, the largest carrier in Canada, only supports GSM/UMTS, and all the other major carriers support CDMA and UMTS. That puts UMTS as having more potential subscribers in Canada than CDMA.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'