or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp's 'The Daily' to debut on Apple iPad Jan. 19 - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

News Corp's 'The Daily' to debut on Apple iPad Jan. 19 - report

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
The Daily, a newspaper from Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, will launch exclusively on Apple's iPad this month on Jan. 19, according to a new report.

Citing anonymous sources, Forbes reported Monday that The Daily will be introduced in just over a week. Leading up to the rumored Wednesday, Jan. 19 launch, the publication's official website, thedaily.com, has been updated with an iPad-style icon and the words "Coming Soon."

"The debut can't come soon enough for The Daily's staffers, who for weeks have been engaged in full-scale dry runs, cranking out dummy issues for what I've been told is a distribution list of 1,000 privileged readers," Jeff Bercovici wrote.

Murdoch, the CEO of News Corp., reportedly showed off the daily iPad-only newspaper to reporters under embargo at the Consumer Electronics Show last week. Earlier reports have suggested the publication will sell for 99 cents per week.

The publication is also expected to require an update to Apple's iOS mobile operating system for the iPad, allowing for recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store. Some rumors have suggested that such an update could allow applications to update and download new issues in the background, making them instantly available to read in the morning when a user loads up a newspaper or magazine on their iPad.



The newly rumored launch date is just a few days later than the Jan. 17 date first suggested in December. The Daily will be a tablet-only newspaper that will debut on the iPad, and will not have a print or Web-based counterpart.
post #2 of 39
I would love it if this thread didn't turn into political trolling. Sadly, I know it's inevitable.
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publication is also expected to require an update to Apple's iOS mobile operating system for the iPad, allowing for recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store.

Which theoretically should allow all Apps to offer paid for upgrades.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I would love it if this thread didn't turn into political trolling. Sadly, I know it's inevitable.

Personally I wouldn't dream of making a derogative comment about anything related to Fox News. I am surprised the audience can read though.

Just kidding. I like a lot of Fox TV shows just not so much their so called news.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #5 of 39
Although I'm not looking forward to The Daily, I hope this is the start of the resolution of the mess that is iPad magazines and newspapers (no subscription, expensive per issue price, no dedicated newsstand, etc)
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Although I'm not looking forward to The Daily, I hope this is the start of the resolution of the mess that is iPad magazines and newspapers (no subscription, expensive per issue price, no dedicated newsstand, etc)

Agreed. It does seem to be a massive opportunity in limbo.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Personally I wouldn't dream of making a derogative comment about anything related to Fox News. I am surprised the audience can read though.

Just kidding. I like a lot of Fox TV shows just not so much their so called news.

I agree. And I am willing to give The Daily a fair reading despite my misgivings. Who knows, maybe Murdoch is going make a play for those of the blueish persuasion?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree. And I am willing to give The Daily a fair reading despite my misgivings. Who knows, maybe Murdoch is going make a play for those of the blueish persuasion?

That would be nice if he did plus pretty smart since a very large percentage of Mac / Apple folk are centrist at least. (I base that conclusion only on 30 years personal experience, I could be wrong).
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree. And I am willing to give The Daily a fair reading despite my misgivings. Who knows, maybe Murdoch is going make a play for those of the blueish persuasion?

Murdoch's never been averse to making a profit catering to those beyond FNC's core base.

His movie studio properties and networks, among other holdings, have never eschewed content from the spectrum of Hollywood talent. Matt Groening's pre-Simpson's grounding was in an alt-newspaper comic (Life in Hell), and that show has been skewering Fox by name ON Fox for decades. In today's even coarser (Family Guy, Adult Swim) age, where Homer's antics are still deft and well-written, but hardly cutting edge, people have forgotten how controversial the show was when it came out, with many protests from from the right.

And in fact, as many concluded it was impossible for Fox to challenge the "Big Three" (NBC, CBS, ABC), it turned out that Fox to a large extent was the "network that Bart built."

Also, when acquiring properties like the Times of London, some care has generally been taken not to alienate the existing readership by a swift, hard turn in voice.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Murdoch's never been averse to making a profit catering to those beyond FNC's core base.

His movie studio properties and networks, among other holdings, have never eschewed content from the spectrum of Hollywood talent. Matt Groening's pre-Simpson's grounding was in an alt-newspaper comic (Life in Hell), and that show has been skewering Fox by name ON Fox for decades. In today's even coarser (Family Guy, Adult Swim) age, where Homer's antics are still deft and well-written, but hardly cutting edge, people have forgotten how controversial the show was when it came out, with many protests from from the right.

And in fact, as many concluded it was impossible for Fox to challenge the "Big Three" (NBC, CBS, ABC), it turned out that Fox to a large extent was the "network that Bart built."

Also, when acquiring properties like the Times of London, some care has generally been taken not to alienate the existing readership by a swift, hard turn in voice.

While agreeing in part, I was not too impressed with what he did to the once great Times in the UK.

Yes, bring back the edgy Bart
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I like a lot of Fox TV shows just not so much their so called news.

Why do you not like their news? Is it because they don't "Lean Forward" in the direction of the Leftist at MSNBC?

Or their reporters don't debate on behalf of a democratic president or buy their way into stories like CNN?

You're not a deputy to that idiot Democratic Sherif in AZ, who says he can't remember in his 75 years the vitriol of today's debate?! Uh, Vietnam War Protests, riots outside the Democratic National Convention in IL in the 60's, Senator Paul Wellstone "Memorial" service, protestors outside of President Bush home in TX with signs like Hitler and assassinate Bush, to today's politicians that call Americans "un-American" because they choose to exercise their Constitutional Rights...

With that idiot as Sherif, I'm not surprised more elected officials have not been shot. He is the Barney Fife of Sherifs! You're not his deputy?, again I ask!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Why do you not like their news? Is it because they don't "Lean Forward" in the direction of the Leftist at MSNBC?

Or their reporters don't debate on behalf of a democratic president or buy their way into stories like CNN?

You're not a deputy to that idiot Democratic Sherif in AZ, who says he can't remember in his 75 years the vitriol of today's debate?! Uh, Vietnam War Protests, riots outside the Democratic National Convention in IL in the 60's, Senator Paul Wellstone "Memorial" service, protestors outside of President Bush home in TX with signs like Hitler and assassinate Bush, to today's politicians that call Americans "un-American" because they choose to exercise their Constitutional Rights...

With that idiot as Sherif, I'm not surprised more elected officials have not been shot. He is the Barney Fife of Sherifs! You're not his deputy?, again I ask!

Have you finished? I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

You are now on my troll list.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts.

Well good luck finding a news source that does that!
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That would be nice if he did plus pretty smart since a very large percentage of Mac / Apple folk are centrist at least. (I base that conclusion only on 30 years personal experience, I could be wrong).

Apparently it only takes one loud mouth to fly off the handle to ruin that experience.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Well good luck finding a news source that does that!

I does requires a lot of looking
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Have you finished? I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

You are now on my troll list.

Where do you find this news source of just "the facts"?

You are on my Vitri"TROLL" list! Notice folks who was first to comment using Fox News over an iPad app that no one has seen and yet certainly seem to have authoritative knowledge about! Typical ignorance coming from one that"prefers facts"! Very Typical! Troll, troll, troll!... That's me trying to troll for the facts in you BS posts!

Edit: DC's sig... "Long on AAPL, so biased"... I'll finish that sig... 'Short on facts and narrowness of mind, still biased!'

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apparently it only takes one loud mouth to fly off the handle to ruin that experience.

That was pretty deranged wasn't it?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Why do you not like their news? Is it because they don't "Lean Forward" in the direction of the Leftist at MSNBC?

Can you please confine your politics to the Political Outsider forum - that's what it's for. I don't think most people want political commentary in the tech-based forums regardless of political persuasion.
post #19 of 39
The Daily could be very interesting. Murdoch is going to do what makes money. If cloning Fox News into the iPad makes money that's what he will do. If creating an electronic newspaper that takes a more left or centrist direction makes money, that is what he will do. He is all about the money. Nothing else really matters in his world.

The important part, as others have mentioned, is that he might pave the way for a business model that actually works on iPad for news and magazines. That would be a good thing.
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre-existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

You are now on my troll list.

"We have no choice but to get our information from interested, and thus biased, sources."
--Michael S. Kochin*

You are now on my "naive list." But that's OK. Some days I'm on it too.

* MSK is a Senior Lecturer in Political Science at Tel Aviv University and has held visiting appointments at Toronto, Princeton, and Yale

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

"We have no choice but to get our information from interested, and thus biased, sources."
--Michael S. Kochin*

You are now on my "naive list." But that's OK. Some days I'm on it too.

* MSK is a Senior Lecturer in Political Science at Tel Aviv University and has held visiting appointments at Toronto, Princeton, and Yale

Being aware of those biases helps do a little filtering. As does having lived in quite a few countries and traveling a lot. I try to keep an open mind and I do my best, there is nothing more I can do

BTW quotes can be misleading as your of mine is. I was adding him to my ban list for a tirade of extraordinary lengths made at me personally.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #22 of 39
Yawn. Who cares.
post #23 of 39
thanks but no thanks.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I does requires a lot of looking

Not so much, really. It's just that few people watch, read or listen to those news sources. Many more seem to find people bellowing ideological views at the tops of their lungs to be more entertaining.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not so much, really. It's just that few people watch, read or listen to those news sources. Many more seem to find people bellowing ideological views at the tops of their lungs to be more entertaining.

Don't list 'those' sources here or you will be torn to shreds. That's why I ducked it
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Have you finished? I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

You are now on my troll list.

Everything in life is colored by political position, everything. It is impossible for a news organization to have an unbiased point of view. If you don't understand this then frankly you are part of the problem in America right now. Putting to much faith in any one source as a provider of facts will leave you biased.
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not so much, really. It's just that few people watch, read or listen to those news sources. Many more seem to find people bellowing ideological views at the tops of their lungs to be more entertaining.

Look at it this way reporting is no different than interviewing witnesses to a car crash. You get a slightly different story from every person involved. Even if said witnesses where standing on the same corner. You might eventually be able to draw a model in your mind of the event but even that ends up being biased by your own experiences.

Reporting; while obviously slightly different, is still an effort to convey facts based upon the reporters ability to digest those facts and his experiences in life. In recent times technology has helped us because of the unique ability to provide realtime pics and video. If something major happens, such as an earthquake or fire, we often hear very little audio from the reporters. Why? I'd offer up because it does little good when one can come to his own conclusions.

As a side note I would also say that even realtime video can be biased. The one thing that makes a big difference these days though is that we have a huge number of sources that often tend to average out those biases.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Everything in life is colored by political position, everything. It is impossible for a news organization to have an unbiased point of view. If you don't understand this then frankly you are part of the problem in America right now. Putting to much faith in any one source as a provider of facts will leave you biased.

Agreed.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Everything in life is colored by political position, everything. It is impossible for a news organization to have an unbiased point of view. If you don't understand this then frankly you are part of the problem in America right now. Putting to much faith in any one source as a provider of facts will leave you biased.

I was taught that if you get information from a knowingly biased source, you should seek out a contrary source. You will never find truth in the echo chamber.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

The Daily could be very interesting. Murdoch is going to do what makes money.

I expect lightweight fluff akin to USA Today. I would expect that Apple's target demographic for the iPad will want that.

Those who want involved analysis likely already have good sources for that, iPad or no.
post #31 of 39
So this is a newspaper about nothing? I'm assuming it's tech related if it is gonna be iPad exclusive at launch. Why do we need to wait for it to come out to get subscriptions? Please explain what this is.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #32 of 39
Looks like I fed the troll. Post deleted.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

So this is a newspaper about nothing? I'm assuming it's tech related if it is gonna be iPad exclusive at launch. Why do we need to wait for it to come out to get subscriptions? Please explain what this is.

There has to be something different you'd think if SJ is personally getting involved. That or Rupert is making a massive donation to Steve's favorite charity
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Looks like I fed the troll. Post deleted.

You made an excellent comment though, although briefly
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Don't list 'those' sources here or you will be torn to shreds. That's why I ducked it

A wise man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Everything in life is colored by political position, everything. It is impossible for a news organization to have an unbiased point of view. If you don't understand this then frankly you are part of the problem in America right now. Putting to much faith in any one source as a provider of facts will leave you biased.

This is just the standard apology for deliberate bias.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Being aware of those biases helps do a little filtering. As does having lived in quite a few countries and traveling a lot. I try to keep an open mind and I do my best, there is nothing more I can do

BTW quotes can be misleading as your of mine is. I was adding him to my ban list for a tirade of extraordinary lengths made at me personally.

No offense. It was a tirade directed at you, and had no place here. I was simply bemoaning my own lost innocence when I finally discovered there are so few info grinders not hiding an ax behind their backs. That's probably human nature, and I do it too, but what bothers me is that these days there are few who actually try to be objective, and tho' many attempt to wear a cloak of unbiased fairness, it's most often a sham.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

No offense. It was a tirade directed at you, and had no place here. I was simply bemoaning my own lost innocence when I finally discovered there are so few info grinders not hiding an ax behind their backs. That's probably human nature, and I do it too, but what bothers me is that these days there are few who actually try to be objective, and tho' many attempt to wear a cloak of unbiased fairness, it's most often a sham.

No offense taken and no argument with your thoughts.

We do indeed all have biases and it is as you say most likely a fact of being human. The problem these days with media is the deliberate exploitation of cultural biases at a simplistic level aimed at dividing those that are easily lead. The polarization of views is accelerating along with the proliferation and speed of mass communications it seems.

Having said that history shows us polarization is sadly nothing new. Perhaps we have lived through and seeing an end of a period in history that is rare when it was less so. One thought is the experience of WWII may have had a temporary effect on the western cultures to try harder to be better and the dimming of cultural memory is now eclipsing those better angels.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #38 of 39
I'm just going to go on the record and say that I don't think Apple should be doing business with Rupert Murdoch at this time.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm just going to go on the record and say that I don't think Apple should be doing business with Rupert Murdoch at this time.

I take a backseat to no one in my disgust for Rupert Murdoch and all that he stands for. As far as the iPad is concerned, however, News Corp. is just another developer. I would hope that no one would download the app or read The Daily. However, it is not Apple's place to make that decision for the public.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › News Corp's 'The Daily' to debut on Apple iPad Jan. 19 - report