or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Steve Jobs to appear onstage with Rupert Murdoch Jan. 19 - report

Apple's Steve Jobs to appear onstage with Rupert Murdoch Jan. 19 - report

post #1 of 41
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs will appear onstage alongside media mogul and News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch in San Francisco on Jan. 19 to unveil the new tablet-only newspaper The Daily for iPad.

First reported by Yahoo's The Cutline, Jobs and Murdoch will share the stage at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. While it is currently expected to take place on Jan. 19, the report cautioned that the date is subject to change.

"Known as The Daily, Murdoch's iPad publication has been the talk of the media world over the past couple months, and the News Corp. chief has even dubbed it is 'No. 1 most exciting project,'" the report said. "The hush-hush project has been taking shape at the company's Manhattan headquarters, but it will also have staffers in Los Angeles."

Murdoch has reportedly spent $30 million the project, hiring a team of respected journalists from a variety of publications including The New Yorker, the Daily Beast, Forbes and Politico.

The news that Jobs and Murdoch will share the stage in San Francisco was also independently confirmed by Reuters. Prior to that, Forbes revealed the supposedly planned Jan. 19 launch date.

Staffers at The Daily have allegedly been doing full-scale dry runs for the publication for weeks, producing "dummy issues" for an exclusive test readership of about 1,000. It is believed that the publication could debut alongside a new version of Apple's iOS mobile operating system, which would allow recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store.

The Daily is rumored to have a cost of 99 cents per week, and will allegedly use a new application programming interface in an updated version of iOS that will allow publications to be automatically updated on an iPad. That way a user could open the application and see up-to-date news and articles without a need to download the latest content.
post #2 of 41
And now we wait for the Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader images to arrive.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #3 of 41
That kinda taints Steve imho to appear on stage with Murdoch. But so be it, if this inspires other smaller publishers to use the ipad as a viable business option...
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

That kinda taints Steve imho to appear on stage with Murdoch.

Birds of a feather, dude. All they want is cash. As much and as quick as possible.
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

Birds of a feather, dude. All they want is cash. As much and as quick as possible.

Maybe they should go into business or something.
post #6 of 41
It would also be cool if the vast majority of the production of The Daily was done on iPads.
post #7 of 41
I'd certainly be interested to read it. It sounds as if they have some quality writers. Now if only I had an iPad! I passed mine on and am waiting for version2.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #8 of 41
Quote:

Yep, that $1 a year salary SJ demands is pure greed.
post #9 of 41
Quote:

That kinda taints Steve imho to appear on stage with Murdoch. But so be it, if this inspires other smaller publishers to use the ipad as a viable business option...

What taints Jobs about this is it's going to be a colossal and embarrassing failure. Nobody wants periodicals. We have the web now. It's better. There is literally no argument that periodicals are superior to the Web.

It's over, the Web won. Murdoch is a fool if he can't see it.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It would also be cool if the vast majority of the production of The Daily was done on iPads.

I just can't see iPads hooked up to digital print systems somehow but you never know.

The journalists on the other hand I can see using them a lot.
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

What taints Jobs about this is it's going to be a colossal and embarrassing failure. Nobody wants periodicals. We have the web now. It's better. There is literally no argument that periodicals are superior to the Web.

That is why I am fascinated to see this. SJ doesn't make too many mistakes.
post #12 of 41
Ick. Murdoch only became American so that he could get around our laws to apply his sleaze to our media. 'Mission Accomplished.'

Ick, Steve. Ick.
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Maybe they should go into business or something.

They are in business together.
Steve makes the razors.
Rupert makes the blades.

Make no mistake Apple is the new middleman.
As the world goes digital, Apple is the WALMART for digital content.
Digital pimp, b!tchesi
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They are in business together.
Steve makes the razors.
Rupert makes the blades.

Make no mistake Apple is the new middleman.
As the world goes digital, Apple is the WALMART for digital content.
Digital pimp, b!tchesi

Apple ... a middle man? You jest I assume!
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, that $1 a year salary SJ demands is pure greed.

He's got you fooled, eh? You think that's his total compensation? Or do you think maybe his accountants have figured out how to defer income, and thereby defer taxes? Could it be?

JOBS, STEVEN P'S COMPENSATION
SALARY\t$0.00 * mil \t \t\t
BONUS N/A
OTHER\t$646.60 mil
STOCK GAINS\tNA \t
TOTAL COMPENSATION\t$646.60 mil \t

Additionally, he owns over a half a billion dollars worth of Apple stock.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/12/...Jobs_HEDB.html
post #16 of 41
Wow! Rumored to be on stage with Verizon tomorrow and News Corp next week? Steve's getting out a lot now!
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Ick. Murdoch only became American so that he could get around our laws to apply his sleaze to our media. 'Mission Accomplished.'

Ick, Steve. Ick.

I couldn't agree more. WTH was Steve thinking.
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 24" Dual Core 3.06 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 4
post #18 of 41
Quote:

He's got you fooled, eh? You think that's his total compensation? Or do you think maybe his accountants have figured out how to defer income, and thereby defer taxes? Could it be?

BONUS N/A
OTHER\t$646.60 mil
STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Not sure why I am even bothering since you are obviously one of the people who comes here routinely using different accounts for no purpose other than to pick fights.

I doubt anyone is fooled by the $1 pay - certainly not the people on this forum. Quite frankly, I wish more executives' compensation was stock-related so their fortunes were aligned with the company's performance.
post #19 of 41
Quote:

BONUS N/A
OTHER\t$646.60 mil
STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Hate to break it to you, but you pay taxes on stock dividends, bonuses, and other forms of compensation. I have to pay them every year.
post #20 of 41
Quote:

BONUS N/A
OTHER\t$646.60 mil
STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Man he can get paid a billion a year as far as I'm concerned and be worth every penny. I was only being light hearted with the $1 comment.
post #21 of 41
Quote:

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Like him or hate him, News Corp's WSJ is the only newspaper to have increased its circulation while others have seen double-digit drops.
A is A
A is A
post #22 of 41
Far better to have Murdoch picking content than the wacko editors at the New York Times...
post #23 of 41
Sleeping with the enemy- Fox news?
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Like him or hate him, News Corp's WSJ is the only newspaper to have increased its circulation while others have seen double-digit drops.

Right- and we love the NY Post and its iPad app too.
post #25 of 41
aren't we missing something? how often does Steve do this? This is quite rare and may I suggest a possible opportunity to showcase the ipad2. They didn't say the event wouldn't be an Apple event, and we are due for another San Fran announcement.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneely View Post

aren't we missing something? how often does Steve do this? This is quite rare and may I suggest a possible opportunity to showcase the ipad2. They didn't say the event wouldn't be an Apple event, and we are due for another San Fran announcement.

Seems a little too soon for the iPad announcement but, I must admit, it does dovetail nicely with the Daily announcement.
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Far better to have Murdoch picking content than the wacko editors at the New York Times...

Nihilistic drivel. Give us one example of "wacko" coverage of anything at the Times vs. its opposite at any Murdoch publication - that is, without simply saying that anything politically left of Rush Limbaugh, (or, just as subjectively/arbitrarily, right of Noam Chomsky) is "wacko".
post #28 of 41
Quote:

Except that most of the "web" are blogs that re-tweet news from traditional news outlets.

Quote:

LOL - I guess we will see then eh?

I know I will be looking at it and if it's as good as it looks, a buck a week for a well put together and professionally edited source will be well worth it. It depends on how well they pull it off - time will tell.
post #29 of 41
Quote:

BONUS N/A
OTHER\t$646.60 mil
STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Seriously, if you are going to be stupid, at least be funny about it so we can laugh.
post #30 of 41
Quote:

BONUS N/A
OTHER\t$646.60 mil
STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Dimwit. That's a 2007 article that does not have any detail.

SPJ hasn't received any equity since 2003. No bonuses or salary greater than $1 since when he returned.

He just happens to have 5.5M shares of the company
and is the largest single shareholder (can't find the source right now). No unvested awards or any other compensation (bonus, ESPP, awards, nothing).

Dimwit.

EDIT : found it : http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...f053628S79.DTL
Number of people in ignore list : 1
Number of people in ignore list : 1
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Agreed!
post #32 of 41
I hope they make the first issue free so people can get a taste of it, but if it's only 99c/week anyway I suspect not.
post #33 of 41
Quote:

Why is that?

Personal feelings aside, both are exceptional, empire building CEO's, of the six billion people on earth very few are in the same class as Jobs and Murdoch.

Both are visionary and act on those visions to deliver new ways of doing things.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #34 of 41
Murdoch is vile scum.

Is SJ aware of the repulsive bile this man spews over the planet?

SJ's ascendency into the Bilderberg echelons would have to entail some serious sodomy from fellow members. Is their no limit to the depths Job's will lower himself?
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why is that?

Personal feelings aside, both are exceptional, empire building CEO's, of the six billion people on earth very few are in the same class as Jobs and Murdoch.

Both are visionary and act on those visions to deliver new ways of doing things.

So did Hitler.

You live in a vacuum? How can you put "feelings aside" when Murdoch has made it his life's ambition to change people's feelings so they fit his poisonous right-wing agenda?
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

So did Hitler.

You live in a vacuum? How can you put "feelings aside" when Murdoch has made it his life's ambition to change people's feelings so they fit his poisonous right-wing agenda?

You sound like a knee-jerk lefty. Is a left-wing agenda (whatever that means) any less insidious? Communism was pleasant wasn't it? Anyways, back to the topic...

Murdoch has invested many millions developing an app that will aggrandise the iPad and take the platform to another level in digital news publishing. It would be odd if Steve Jobs didn't show support wouldn't it?
post #37 of 41
The Steve Jobs who came back to Apple all those years ago wouldn't have been seen dead with a far right nut job like Murdoch. How times have changed.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why is that?

Murdoch's only vision was to give the stupid of the world what they want - either sleaze and naked breasts, or far right wing ultra conservative religious bile.
post #39 of 41
Why in he world would you want to read anything akin to FOX news. People who listen to FOX are given a lot of misinformation. They make stuff up and sensationalize the news in order to skew it for the Right Wing nutjobs. I'm really surprised that Steve Jobs would associate himself with Rupert Murdoch. They are one of the main reasons there is so much divisiveness in this country.
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

Why in he world would you want to read anything akin to FOX news. People who listen to FOX are given a lot of misinformation. They make stuff up and sensationalize the news in order to skew it for the Right Wing nutjobs. I'm really surprised that Steve Jobs would associate himself with Rupert Murdoch. They are one of the main reasons there is so much divisiveness in this country.

When Steve appears onstage with someone from a news outlet that isn't biased toward a political belief, let me know.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's Steve Jobs to appear onstage with Rupert Murdoch Jan. 19 - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Steve Jobs to appear onstage with Rupert Murdoch Jan. 19 - report