or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199 - Page 4

post #121 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Might Apple create a dual mode CDMA/GSM for the iPhone 5 based on the Qualcomm chipset? And release in June/July this year? What's to prevent them from doing this and having a single phone for world use?

Rumors have been talking about this since late last year and as we have seen, if rumors persist enough, they can come true.

Another interesting tidbit, APPLE stock has dropped slightly after the announcement today. (-0.80)

the qualcomm chipset sucks for graphics which means crappy game playing
post #122 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Distinct model. No SIM tray.

? Where?

It says so in iOS 4.0 documentation
post #123 of 255
So about this non-concurrent voice/data thing...

If I'm using my phone as a GPS in my car, giving me turn-by-turn voice instructions through TomTom, what happens when I get a phone call?

Does it drop the data connection, or does the call go to voicemail? Does that mean if I'm on the road for three hours I won't get any calls?

If it does take the call, what happens to the app?

a) does it quit the app entirely?
b) multi-task out of it, leaving it "on" but unable to retrieve nav data?

If b), will it then resume when the call is complete?

Just curious about the mechanics of this.
post #124 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

? Where ( is GCD)?

Its in iOS 4. Theres very little else I can say about this - almost the entire new API set in iOS uses blocks for coding. Its all on the developer website. And their university and WWDC code.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #125 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Don't fanboys watch Apple's pattern? stupid..

Because everyother phone sold for Verizon is LTE? No, that is really bad reasoning you are trying to use. LTE is too new to use, simple. As for those getting 'suckered', well, people are buying iPhone 4's to use on AT&T right now, today, at this very moment. They are doing so, right now, today, at this very moment, with the same considerations the Verizon customer will have. Should the buy today or wait for the summer release.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #126 of 255
Quote:
/snip ... new CDMA handset also includes the redesigned antenna and frame that was shown in photos and video that leaked to the Internet earlier this month... /snip

Where can I get more information about this new antenna and frame design?
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #127 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Distinct model. No SIM tray.

Yup, see that now, thanks.
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/01/11...ne-4-hands-on/

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #128 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

How does the mobile hot spot work if I have another device tethered to my phone and I get a voice call? Does my data connection drop?

Yep. This is why Verizon offers free tethering - it's a worthless feature. Imagine the joy of having 5 devices dropping for every call, I'm sure that incredible bandwidth goes real far sliced in fifths. That multitasking iOS is now a lot less useful too.

I guess Verizonites can buy a second iPhone for data, but they should make sure to activate the right blinker, ya know... to merge right with the slower data traffic.
post #129 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

And then the question becomes how do you turn off calling and keep the tethering on.

FYI, if you are in a data session, but are not actively receiving data, you will receive a call.

If you are receiving data, you will not be interrupted and the call goes to VM.

While on wifi sharing, who knows...
post #130 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the qualcomm chipset sucks for graphics which means crappy game playing

I dont think the baseband chipset in question would be used as the CPU, GPU, RAM of the PoP, SoC.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #131 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Where can I get more information about this new antenna and frame design?

By looking at Engadget's gallery, probably. Apple's not going to tell you anything about them.
post #132 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Don't fanboys watch Apple's pattern? stupid..

Did somebody leave the door open again??!!
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #133 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ha! No concurrent talking and surfing!

One less reason for me to be forced to have a data plan.

Upsized font is lame.

VZW does have a habit of giving customers spurious charges though, if the phone ever leaks out a data request, you might get charged for it. It's also an open question whether they'll offer the device without a data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No Free Wifi

As in AT&T's WiFi network? I've found that to be not worth the trouble, it works fine in one establishment, but it doesn't pass any data to the outside world in another, so I had to turn it off.
post #134 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Canada's CDMA coverage is significantly greater than it's 3G coverage.

That's true to the south as well.
post #135 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Another interesting tidbit, APPLE stock has dropped slightly after the announcement today. (-0.80)

No big surprise. Probably just some quick buy/sells to take advantage of the event. The ramp-up was already taking place price to the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the qualcomm chipset sucks for graphics which means crappy game playing

Where did you read about this one?
And how is that even relevant to the processor, memory, et al.?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #136 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Don't fanboys watch Apple's pattern? stupid..

Maybe not. Cook implied that the current generation of LTE chipsets might be too bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the qualcomm chipset sucks for graphics which means crappy game playing

You do understand that qualcom is a leading manufacturer of cellular radios right? They do other things than just the snapdragon.
post #137 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Finally, some sense out of you. I am trolling back! Which means you are indeed a Troll.

As a matter of fact I am your very own personal Troll! Watch out for my shadow!

If you are not ashamed of your behaviour, then you have real problems! You were even likened to the Arizona killer in your behavioural patterns! Aren't you ashamed of being compared to him?

I have nothing to be ashamed about. In fact, as already mentioned, if DED didn't claim he wasn't wrong, I wouldn't have cared one bit.

But he didn't, then claims he isn't god, when his writings say otherwise.

Again, you are more than free to post why DED wasn't wrong on his predictions back in 2009.
post #138 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post

So about this non-concurrent voice/data thing...

If I'm using my phone as a GPS in my car, giving me turn-by-turn voice instructions through TomTom, what happens when I get a phone call?

It drops the data connection, I get that. But what happens to the navigation app?

a) does it quit the app entirely?
b) multi-task out of it, leaving it "on" but unable to retrieve nav data?

If b), will it then resume when the call is complete?

Just curious about the mechanics of this.

I think it is a combination of things. For regular turn by turn when you set up the destination the program loads all the required data. From that point on the GPS satellites and the GPS application continue to work while you are on the phone without any cell data required. The simultaneous data would come into play if you asked for a restaurant location or point of interest which would need to come from cell data. Probably zoomed map tiles would not be available without cell data either.

I don't have Tom Tom but apparently GPS turn by turn does work on Verizon Androids while on a call, at least according to a friend who confirmed that on his Droid.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #139 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

well, in that case it's either means that iPhone 5 will be released in the summer for both AT&T and Verizon and will anger the new Verizon iPhone 4 customers or
the iPhone 5 will be released for both AT&T and Verizon next Feb (2012) and will anger(?) or disappoint everyone else who's waiting for the next model.

Doesn't make sense...

Why would people be angry? You buy technology knowing it will be superseded. Anyone who cares about this stuff knows the iPhone five will happen in the summer and hold off purchasing until then. People buy the 3G knowing it's not the latest version. Don't assume consumers are stupid.
post #140 of 255
looks like apple would not allow verizon's defunct signal bar system with their 1x and 2x bull.
post #141 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I
Again, you are more than free to post why DED wasn't wrong on his predictions back in 2009.

And what would be the point of that. A dozen people did exactly that on DED's site and your answer to that was to call everyone stupid and mactards! Why would I want to expose myself to your abuse, just because I don't agree with your points?

No, I'll stick to Trolling you, that's more fun.
post #142 of 255
Yet another ``hobby' '... Who says Apple can't take up hobbies? *yawn*

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #143 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.

That doesn't mean anything. If you asked Tim Cook if Apple was planning on releasing a hoverboard you'd probably would get the same response.
post #144 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Jun 2007 iPhone
Jul 2008 iPhone 3G
Jun 2009 iPhone 3G S
Jun 2010 iPhone 4
Feb 2011 iPhone 4 on Verizon
Jun 2011 iPhone 4 S
Jun 2012 iPhone 5

But why would the sixth iPhone be called the "iPhone 5"? Wouldn't it be the iPhone 6?
post #145 of 255
For whoever said "no free WiFi" on VZW that is totally incorrect.

From the FAQs on the VZW site regarding overseas use:

Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

"Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally. "

And as my friends usually do when overseas with their iPhones and don't want to incur the cost is turn off the voice and just use WiFi.
post #146 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.

Your over complicating things. iP5 or 4S will happen regardless.

People who want the iP4 on Verizon now will buy it. Those who don't will wait for iP5/4S. Apple won't change a thing. Tim Cook has already said Verizon wanted it now so why wait.

Once iP5/4S comes out the iP4 will be reduced in price in the same way 3GS is now. Most people i know who have recently bought the iPhone have opted for the 3GS. Price plays a powerful role when it comes to purchasing decisions.

Plus, there's an international market outside the US remember that pays the going rate. Apple won't delay a new phone just to please Verizon customers.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #147 of 255
wow my foot sure does taste bad LOL

With as many rumors as there have been about this, I seriously never thought we would see this in 2011, but sure enough, here we are.
post #148 of 255
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets (in some debate about a matter of apparently earth-shaking importance with iStud)

Again, you are more than free to post why DED wasn't wrong on his predictions back in 2009.
And what would be the point of that. A dozen people did exactly that on DED's site and your answer to that was to call everyone stupid and mactards! Why would I want to expose myself to your abuse, just because I don't agree with your points?

No, I'll stick to Trolling you, that's more fun.

What the hell are you two going on and on about? You sound like two incensed clerics debating a meaningless scriptural conflict about two different letters in the New Testament. Stuff it already or take it to email between your babbling selves.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #149 of 255
The Fact Steve Jobs was not there tells the real story, Steve is not really behind this and probably is not looking at this as being successful.

The Markets are looking at it the same way, apple stock drop they do not see this a big win for Apple.

VZ stock dropped too

And Motorola drop since VZ said they reduced their inventories in anticipation of the coming Iphone.
post #150 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod2625 View Post

For whoever said "no free WiFi" on VZW that is totally incorrect.

They were, I imagine, speaking of the AT&T WiFi hotspots. Not WiFi networks in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The Fact Steve Jobs was not there tells the real story, Steve is not really behind this and probably is not looking at this as being successful.

The Markets are looking at it the same way, apple stock drop they do not see this a big win for Apple.

Steve Jobs being absent tells of no such thing.
I would wager Steve Jobs is (rightly) expecting this to be hugely successful.

The markets adjusted for this announcement, which was exactly what the markets expected, before the event. That it didn't shoot up after this event is not indicative of what the market thinks. That it kept the gains it built up prior to this event is.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #151 of 255
After reading through just a few comments here, I gotta ask (and this is a little off topic): Can we EVER, or have we EVER have/had a discussion where the word troll WASN'T used?
post #152 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

What the hell are you two going on and on about? You sound like two incensed clerics debating a meaningless scriptural conflict about two different letters in the New Testament. Stuff it already or take it to email between your babbling selves.

You really made me laugh!

You are right! But I could not resist trolling that chap!

I'm done now. over and out!
post #153 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Don't see any signs of Verizon's CRAPWARE pre-installed like all their phones do. I guess the iPhone continues to be the only phone unbastardized by the carriers..

Read again. It does.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #154 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

After reading through just a few comments here, I gotta ask (and this is a little off topic): Can we EVER, or have we EVER have/had a discussion where the word troll WASN'T used?

Am afraid not.
post #155 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The Fact Steve Jobs was not there tells the real story, Steve is not really behind this and probably is not looking at this as being successful.

The Markets are looking at it the same way, apple stock drop they do not see this a big win for Apple.

VZ stock dropped too

And Motorola drop since VZ said they reduced their inventories in anticipation of the coming Iphone.

It's not a new product so why should he be there. He's never at any new carrier announcements.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #156 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStud View Post

And what would be the point of that. A dozen people did exactly that on DED's site and your answer to that was to call everyone stupid and mactards! Why would I want to expose myself to your abuse, just because I don't agree with your points?

No, I'll stick to Trolling you, that's more fun.

Because obviously someone who calls out DED on something must be an Android fanboy. That's called ad hominem + strawman, throwing up a smoke screen instead of addressing the issue.

That's when I called those people stupid, as in, I have proof right here that you are ignoring my points and are just trying to change the issue.
post #157 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The Fact Steve Jobs was not there tells the real story, Steve is not really behind this and probably is not looking at this as being successful.

The Markets are looking at it the same way, apple stock drop they do not see this a big win for Apple.

VZ stock dropped too

And Motorola drop since VZ said they reduced their inventories in anticipation of the coming Iphone.

I think Jobs and Apple love this, but technologically, it is a tiny, tiny move for them. Why would Steve come out for a trivial change? From a perspective of opening a market for them, it is huge. But, Apple and AT&T are still friends. For Steve to show up for what amounts to another carrier among many, would be to very publicly give the finger at AT&T.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #158 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon has once again crippled a device.

Why would I pay more (given good coverage where I am at) for:

No Concurrent Data/Voice (Verizon users....trust me...this is like power windows in a car...once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it)

No Free Wifi
No international coverage (this also results in less demand for selling your used iPhone)

No Rollover Minutes

Visual Voicemail will not update while you are on another call

Unless Verizon has monthly plans at half the price, forget it.

No Free wifi?
post #159 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Because obviously someone who calls out DED on something must be an Android fanboy. That's called ad hominem + strawman, throwing up a smoke screen instead of addressing the issue.

That's when I called those people stupid, as in, I have proof right here that you are ignoring my points and are just trying to change the issue.

As I said above. I'm over and out. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to continue this discussion.
post #160 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post


I don't have Tom Tom but apparently GPS turn by turn does work on Verizon Androids while on a call, at least according to a friend who confirmed that on his Droid.

It does that by caching. If the phone call is long enough you'll reach the end of saved data.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199